Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

SIPP's for Old Guys

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Re: SIPP's for Old Guys

Postby paulnumbers » May 8th, 2022, 4:05 pm

Lootman wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:
Lootman wrote:
pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:I would certainly want to ensure that I was subscribing the full £20,000 a year to an ISA (and another £20,000 to my wife's ISA) annually before I would consider a SIPP.

I do the opposite. Prefer the juicy tax relief on my SIPP, a much better return than any ISA

That very much depends on how you compute it. Especially taking into account that withdrawals are free of all tax for an ISA whereas most of what you take out of a SIPP is subject to your marginal income tax rate.

As an example my ISA has £600K's worth of profits within it. I will pay zero tax on any of it when withdrawn. How much tax would you pay on 600K withdrawn profits within a SIPP? That difference alone can make the tax relief upfront on a SIPP look far from "juicy".

It's quite mechanical isn't it? as a higher rate tax payer utilising salary sacrifice and getting the employer NI contributions too, if you gave up £600k of earnings, the SIPP would have been topped up to £1.177m. If you're a lower rate tax payer in retirement, you'd pay 15% tax, so that would be reduced to £1,000,655. after tax. So yes, quite juicy!

If even you were a higher rate taxpayer in retirement for all of the income from the SIPP, you'd get £824,068 out

Yes but you are not comparing like with like. A true comparison would, for convenience sake, show the difference between putting 20K a year into an ISA and 20K (before any tax adjustment) into a SIPP. Assume the same RoR on each, and of course the same number of years. Then look at the drawdown and the effect of taxes on that (in the case of a SIPP).

I am certainly not going to assert that an ISA wins in all scenarios. But I do challenge the idea that a SIPP wins in all scenarios. Either could be "juicier" depending on the individual situation.

But then I would add another factor, and that is risk. The risk that future tax rates will be higher, which will favour an ISA. And the fact that the pension money is a hostage to fortune, in that governments love to meddle with the captive money locked into pensions, whereas an ISA can be liquidated at any time tax-free.

Certainly there are some situation where a SIPP is worse, so yes, do the math. But they are the extreme exception rather than the rule.

I take your point on the hostage aspect, and personally I don't think a pension is really worth it for the 6.25% return you'll get if you're not dropping a tax level between employment and retirement.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: SIPP's for Old Guys

Postby Lootman » May 9th, 2022, 6:49 am

paulnumbers wrote:
Lootman wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:
Lootman wrote:
pje16 wrote:I do the opposite. Prefer the juicy tax relief on my SIPP, a much better return than any ISA

That very much depends on how you compute it. Especially taking into account that withdrawals are free of all tax for an ISA whereas most of what you take out of a SIPP is subject to your marginal income tax rate.

As an example my ISA has £600K's worth of profits within it. I will pay zero tax on any of it when withdrawn. How much tax would you pay on 600K withdrawn profits within a SIPP? That difference alone can make the tax relief upfront on a SIPP look far from "juicy".

It's quite mechanical isn't it? as a higher rate tax payer utilising salary sacrifice and getting the employer NI contributions too, if you gave up £600k of earnings, the SIPP would have been topped up to £1.177m. If you're a lower rate tax payer in retirement, you'd pay 15% tax, so that would be reduced to £1,000,655. after tax. So yes, quite juicy!

If even you were a higher rate taxpayer in retirement for all of the income from the SIPP, you'd get £824,068 out

Yes but you are not comparing like with like. A true comparison would, for convenience sake, show the difference between putting 20K a year into an ISA and 20K (before any tax adjustment) into a SIPP. Assume the same RoR on each, and of course the same number of years. Then look at the drawdown and the effect of taxes on that (in the case of a SIPP).

I am certainly not going to assert that an ISA wins in all scenarios. But I do challenge the idea that a SIPP wins in all scenarios. Either could be "juicier" depending on the individual situation.

But then I would add another factor, and that is risk. The risk that future tax rates will be higher, which will favour an ISA. And the fact that the pension money is a hostage to fortune, in that governments love to meddle with the captive money locked into pensions, whereas an ISA can be liquidated at any time tax-free.

Certainly there are some situation where a SIPP is worse, so yes, do the math. But they are the extreme exception rather than the rule.

I take your point on the hostage aspect, and personally I don't think a pension is really worth it for the 6.25% return you'll get if you're not dropping a tax level between employment and retirement.

In my case I may be going up a tax level when I start collecting my 3 pensions. The annual income from those three alone will be enough for me to pay higher-rate tax. Whilst when I was working there were strategies I could adopt that kept me out of high-rate tax for some years.

None of those 3 pensions are SIPPs however.

And how to value the legislation risk of pensions? It has been interesting to watch how, over the years, the rules for PEPs and ISAs have been liberalised and made more generous. Whilst the changes made to pension have been more negative. So it matters how you project the future. For example, abolishing the 25% tax-free cash sum would, at a stroke, make pensions suddenly look much less attractive. Ditto reducing tax relief to the basic rate. It is hard to see ISAs being so dramatically made worse, in my view.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”