Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Disparity between public and private sector pensions

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Disparity between public and private sector pensions

Postby Alaric » February 21st, 2023, 4:33 pm

BullDog wrote:. Once reaching state pension age the GMP part of the pension no longer gets an annual increase. Unfortunately, the pension I'm talking about which was deferred since 1992, most of it is classed as GMP. The annual increase on the pension in payment was <1% this year despite CPI being in double figures. I was quite surprised at the terms it's a deferred DB pension from a (deep) blue chip company. I hope your scheme is better than mine, it's worth a check. HTH.

What was originally supposed to happen was that the GMP increase would be paid by the Government alongside the State Pension. That may have been reneged on as part of the numerous changes to the rules on contracting out, but it would be an obscure calculation in any event.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 21st, 2023, 4:56 pm

Alaric wrote:
BullDog wrote:. Once reaching state pension age the GMP part of the pension no longer gets an annual increase. Unfortunately, the pension I'm talking about which was deferred since 1992, most of it is classed as GMP. The annual increase on the pension in payment was <1% this year despite CPI being in double figures. I was quite surprised at the terms it's a deferred DB pension from a (deep) blue chip company. I hope your scheme is better than mine, it's worth a check. HTH.

What was originally supposed to happen was that the GMP increase would be paid by the Government alongside the State Pension. That may have been reneged on as part of the numerous changes to the rules on contracting out, but it would be an obscure calculation in any event.

Yes, it's actually not that easy to understand. I understand why there's a GMP element. How it all works over the decades since I joined that occupational scheme and then left the company with deferred benefits and ultimately benefitted from it at 60 is extremely opaque. At least the contributions were only 1% of salary so I shouldnt moan too much. I suppose.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 21st, 2023, 5:28 pm

BullDog wrote:Take a close look at the deferred pension terms. If part of the deferred pension is called GMP pension, once you reach state retirement age the terms might change. I took benefits from a deferred pension at 60 which was the normal age for that scheme. Once reaching state pension age the GMP part of the pension no longer gets an annual increase. Unfortunately, the pension I'm talking about which was deferred since 1992, most of it is classed as GMP. The annual increase on the pension in payment was <1% this year despite CPI being in double figures. I was quite surprised at the terms it's a deferred DB pension from a (deep) blue chip company. I hope your scheme is better than mine, it's worth a check. HTH.

On the face of it this does rather sound to me as if it could possibly be a basic misunderstanding of how the system works, wrt a Contracted Out DB pension and (I assume) an old style State Pension. This is what I have.

I retired, before SP retirement age, on a (public service, contributory and fully funded!) Contracted Out DB pension. I got a sum of £X per year. Every year X was quoted as a single figure and the new single figure uprated by inflation (originally by RPI, now CPI). Simple. Then I reached SP retirement age, it all changed.

Now £X is shown as composed of several separate bands, of unequal amounts. These bands have different indexation rules that apply to them. In my case, using last year's statement of new pension amount, the bands are:

Pre 88 GMP - Zero indexed
Post 88 GMP - Indexed by CPI up a max of 3%
Pre97 Excess - Indexed by CPI
Post 97 Excess - Indexed by CPI
Post 05 Excess - No idea, presumably CPI, doesn't apply to me so figure shown is zero

Now then! (Pre 88 GMP + Post 88 GMP) values taken together comprise my COD - Contracted Out Deduction.

Now refer to this year's statement of my upcoming, old style SP from the DWP. This has four components:

Basic state pension
Pre 97 additional State Pension
Less Contracted-Out Deduction
Graduated Retirement Benefit

Ignoring the last one (GRB) focus on Pre 97 additional State Pension, Less Contracted-Out Deduction that is: Pre97 additional SP (i.e. SERPS) minus COD (Remember that from my DB pension?). This is the simple mechanism.

In other words, my DB contracted out pension IS fully indexed. But, when I said the Pre 88 GMP component is zero indexed that means it is not indexed inside the DB contracted out pension, it is fully indexed via my SP. When I said the Post 88 GMP component is only indexed up to 3%, it is, inside the DB contracted out pension, indexing above that 3% is indexed via my SP. The simple mechanism to effect this is that subtraction shown above: Pre97 additional SP minus COD

That is how, this year my SP, as I posted above, managed - in total - to increase after CPI indexation by over 15%.

It all makes sense in the end. :)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 21st, 2023, 5:47 pm

...Just a detail I omitted about SP statement:

Basic state pension - Indexed by CPI (rounded to nearest 5p)
Pre 97 additional State Pension - Indexed by CPI
Less Contracted-Out Deduction - See COD, from GMP values in Contracted Out pension!
Graduated Retirement Benefit - Indexed by CPI (But unitised, so strictly it is the units that are indexed)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 21st, 2023, 5:53 pm

XFool wrote:.
Basic state pension - Indexed by CPI

Isn't that also subject to the "triple lock"? In other words if 2.5% or the increase in National Average Earnings is a higher figure, you get that. But that doesn't apply to the other components.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 21st, 2023, 5:55 pm

Alaric wrote:
XFool wrote:.Basic state pension - Indexed by CPI

Isn't that also subject to the "triple lock"? In other words if 2.5% or the increase in National Average Earnings is a higher figure, you get that. But that doesn't apply to the other components.

Yes! There's always a further detail to remember (or forget) with pensions.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 21st, 2023, 6:00 pm

OK. My situation is a bit different to Xfool's in that I get the new state pension which is paid after 35 full years NIC (but in my case considerably more years NIC due to the time I was contracted out) at a flat rate with none of the adjustments mentioned by Xfool.

Other than that, yes the GMP is pretty much as described by Xfool. The majority of the deferred DB pension I mentioned was indeed prior to 1988 and only four years after as I resigned from that company in 1992. Hence the reason my increase on that DB pension this year now I am at state pension age was only about 1%.

I still recommend that anyone coming up to state pension age with deferred DB benefits accrued decades ago to check their scheme rules. The deferred DB pension might not be quite as generous as some may believe under these circumstances.

Luckily, I have another DB pension in payment which was also deferred but on better terms and I have my SIPP which is going to be very useful indeed.
Last edited by BullDog on February 21st, 2023, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 21st, 2023, 6:01 pm

Alaric wrote:
XFool wrote:.
Basic state pension - Indexed by CPI

One might feel the need to say "but perhaps for not much longer".... ?

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » February 21st, 2023, 6:14 pm

Here's a wee thought, why doesn't the government apply the Public sector pension model to all private sector pensions.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 21st, 2023, 6:28 pm

scotview wrote:Here's a wee thought, why doesn't the government apply the Public sector pension model to all private sector pensions.

Ha. A problem with any type of pension is that it will always be UK source income. Meaning that it will always be subject to UK taxation even if you emigrate.

So it is always a hostage to fortune. A future UK government maybe could not renege on pension promises but could decide, say, to tax all pension payouts at 75%.

Perhaps that is the real price you pay for them?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 21st, 2023, 6:28 pm

scotview wrote:Here's a wee thought, why doesn't the government apply the Public sector pension model to all private sector pensions.

In what sense?

I long ago suggested on TMF that a different approach could be taken to company pensions, something similar to a DB pension, with a pooled collective fund rather than schemes with individual DC 'pots'. Went down like a lead balloon - Equitable Life and such were mentioned. I did once read somewhere that such 'hybrid' schemes are now being tried out in the UK. Though can't remember what they are called.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 21st, 2023, 6:32 pm

Lootman wrote:Ha. A problem with any type of pension is that it will always be UK source income. Meaning that it will always be subject to UK taxation even if you emigrate.

So it is always a hostage to fortune. A future UK government maybe could not renege on pension promises but could decide, say, to tax all pension payouts at 75%.

This really does seem pretty irrelevant to me when considering UK pensions. After all, same could be said of income tax on earned income, VAT anything...

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » February 21st, 2023, 6:36 pm

XFool wrote:In what sense?

Just as it says on the tin. Maybe the only variance could be that an individual could choose a public sector modelled, government guaranteed, fully indexed type pension or choose one of the existing private sector type pensions, kind of opt in.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 21st, 2023, 6:38 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Ha. A problem with any type of pension is that it will always be UK source income. Meaning that it will always be subject to UK taxation even if you emigrate.

This really does seem pretty irrelevant to me when considering UK pensions. After all, same could be said of income tax on earned income, VAT anything...

No because almost any other kind of income can be exported. But pensions are stuck in the UK forever. That is why the government loves them so much - captive assets! UK property is probably the only other example.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » February 21st, 2023, 9:23 pm

XFool wrote:
In other words, my DB contracted out pension IS fully indexed. But, when I said the Pre 88 GMP component is zero indexed that means it is not indexed inside the DB contracted out pension, it is fully indexed via my SP. When I said the Post 88 GMP component is only indexed up to 3%, it is, inside the DB contracted out pension, indexing above that 3% is indexed via my SP. The simple mechanism to effect this is that subtraction shown above: Pre97 additional SP minus COD

That is how, this year my SP, as I posted above, managed - in total - to increase after CPI indexation by over 15%.

Can you run this past me again as I also have a Pre 88 GMP pension with 0% inflation increases from within the pension fund. Does that mean there will be inflation increases applied to my SP to compensate? I didn’t realise this and cannot say I ever noticed before whether this happened. Is it done automatically or do I have to remind the DWP of it?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 21st, 2023, 9:23 pm

XFool wrote:
BullDog wrote:Take a close look at the deferred pension terms. If part of the deferred pension is called GMP pension, once you reach state retirement age the terms might change. I took benefits from a deferred pension at 60 which was the normal age for that scheme. Once reaching state pension age the GMP part of the pension no longer gets an annual increase. Unfortunately, the pension I'm talking about which was deferred since 1992, most of it is classed as GMP. The annual increase on the pension in payment was <1% this year despite CPI being in double figures. I was quite surprised at the terms it's a deferred DB pension from a (deep) blue chip company. I hope your scheme is better than mine, it's worth a check. HTH.

On the face of it this does rather sound to me as if it could possibly be a basic misunderstanding of how the system works, wrt a Contracted Out DB pension and (I assume) an old style State Pension. This is what I have.
:
Ignoring the last one (GRB) focus on Pre 97 additional State Pension, Less Contracted-Out Deduction that is: Pre97 additional SP (i.e. SERPS) minus COD (Remember that from my DB pension?). This is the simple mechanism.

Yes, but the thing missing from that is that, because ASP and GMP can be revalued in deferment at different rates (depending on the method used by the scheme), at the point of starting the state pension the (gross) ASP minus COD (GMP) could have been negative.

In payment that negative net ASP is floored at zero and will remain so until gASP catches up and is greater than COD (GMP). The practical upshot of which is that folks in that situation had to (and maybe could still) wait many years before getting any govt provided increases on their GMP beyond 0%/3% (pre/post 88), even if CPI exceeded those amounts. (Hmm ... haven't I explained this to you before?)

For people reaching state pension age 2016 onwards there is a potentially nasty twist in that the gASP minus COD calculation is baked into their 2016 "starting amount" and if it was negative/zero at the time then they will never get any govt provided increases on their GMP. However, it's really not worth figuring or faffing over, as there's nothing one can do about it. It just is.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 21st, 2023, 9:35 pm

Not so, you can transfer a DB or DC pension to wherever you want, although it's best to do so to a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS). https://techzone.abrdn.com/public/pensions/Tech-guide-overseas-transfers

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 21st, 2023, 9:39 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Not so, you can transfer a DB or DC pension to wherever you want, although it's best to do so to a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS). https://techzone.abrdn.com/public/pensions/Tech-guide-overseas-transfers

OK, fair enough, although what are odds that those "qualifying" jurisdictions just happen to be locales that will tax you at least as much as the UK?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » February 21st, 2023, 9:45 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Indeed. I knew people who had retired from BP, moved their gross pension payments to France where they had taken up residence. Then they went to work in zero tax countries, and avoided paying tax in France on their income. The UK originated pension was thus tax free to them. At least, that is how they explained it to me.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 21st, 2023, 9:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

OK, fair enough, although what are odds that those "qualifying" jurisdictions just happen to be locales that will tax you at least as much as the UK?

Research left as an exercise for the reader ... :D

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”