Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Time to plough more in

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Walrus
Lemon Slice

Time to plough more in

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 9:15 am

I'm being a good HYPer and keeping with the program. No panic stations, I think the only thing I hold which is remotely tempting to sell is Lloyds, but more to do with better alternatives available than anything else.

My gut feeling is we are going lower from here but I'm also attracted to topping up specifically.

BATs
Grid
Some Alternative Income trusts (OT)

I have this year's ISA allowance remaining and am tempted to stick some In now even though my plan was to wait until after Brexit day. Anyone got any views on investment timing 're Brexit

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Time to plough more in

Postby Darka » December 20th, 2018, 9:38 am

I'm ignoring Brexit with regards to investing as no one knows what will happen or which way the market will respond, so have been investing monthly as per normal.

I like all of your suggestions, including the OT one and topped up BATS myself this month.

I've got a hopefully 30 year retirement ahead of me, so Brexit will be irrelevant (in my opinion) over that timeline anyway.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 20th, 2018, 9:43 am

I think the key factors that may move sharply one way or the other as things unfold on the Brexit front is the value of sterling.
Topic discussed in Macro topics:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=15269#p187061

Because of my level of sterling exposure, I am directing top ups at investments that are overseas focused.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 20th, 2018, 10:07 am

I invest every month with accumulated dividends and new money no plans to alter that. I also hold cash for opportune investments/unexpected costs. I'm not seeing any reason to add that extra money into HYP this week. I think Imperial beats BATS on historic increases but both do seem to be as high as I've seen in ages.
I try to fill my ISA early each tax year but only just got it to the max last month.

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » December 20th, 2018, 11:55 am

I have sold all my retail, utility, housing and REITs shares in my HYP in the last three months and now sit 30% in cash - sales + dividends.

Down to 25 shares from 35. I also have 9 ITs (all held/no sales), off-topic here, but part of my HYP.

After Brexit pans out I will top up my big oil, big pharma, big telecoms, big banks and maybe buy REITs again and potentially add or top-up my ITs

Crazbe7

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 20th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Crazbe7 wrote:I have sold all my retail, utility, housing and REITs shares in my HYP in the last three months

What's your logic for getting shut of each sector there?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I'm still investing every month from divis received and held in cash in my ISA. Today my top up of BATS went through at 0930hrs, and it seems I wasn't alone, as the sp is up 2%. Sadly I put my full ISA allowance into my HYP in April this year, but not to worry. I'm not into timing the market.

Ian.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 20th, 2018, 12:09 pm

December is a bit of a slow month for dividends for me. I'll be topping up in January.
HYPTUSS is telling me Aviva is the choice.

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » December 20th, 2018, 12:12 pm

What's your logic for getting shut of each sector there?

Impact of brexit - retail, housing and REITs and aligned fears of a Corbyn government - Utilities.

Crazbe7

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 20th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Crazbe7 wrote:What's your logic for getting shut of each sector there?

Impact of brexit - retail, housing and REITs and aligned fears of a Corbyn government - Utilities.

Crazbe7

I expect a sudden recovery in those once we've left.

The utilities. Less so.

If Corbyn gets in then I expect no recovery. Ever.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Moderator Message:
Following various alerts I have relocated this topic. If you are discussing trading, you are not discussing HYP.
- dspp

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » December 20th, 2018, 12:53 pm

If you are discussing trading, you are not discussing HYP

but discussing 'tinkering' is allowed - what utter nonsense.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » December 20th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Thank you for the responses. Thouhh I think I must hold some kind of record for posts moved or deleted. Not sure what I've done wrong here. :(

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 20th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Walrus wrote:Thank you for the responses. Thouhh I think I must hold some kind of record for posts moved or deleted. Not sure what I've done wrong here. :(

Fallen foul of the narrow range of rules about HYPs.
It's the only thing that frustrates me about this site.

Genuine suggestion here:
Maybe we should have a 'People's Vote' on the rule of 'thou shalt not discuss selling in an HYP on the HYP board'....
What do the Mods say about that?

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 20th, 2018, 1:35 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Walrus wrote:Thank you for the responses. Thouhh I think I must hold some kind of record for posts moved or deleted. Not sure what I've done wrong here. :(

Fallen foul of the narrow range of rules about HYPs.

Genuine suggestion here:
Maybe we should have a 'People's Vote' on the rule of 'thou shalt not discuss selling in an HYP on the HYP board'....

FWIW I think it would help if HYPsters declared themselves as "builders" or "drawers" before entering such discussions on trading to make it easier for mods to judge. "Builders" of course can't avoid "trading", and IMO should be asking sensible questions in the other place like the merits of lump sum vs. regular investment ...

(I agree with your sentiments Crazbe7, but perhaps not in the manner articulated. After all it's easy to identify one mod particularly who regularly discusses trading/tinkering of his portfolio in the other place, but let's not prod that hornet's nest ...)

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 20th, 2018, 1:45 pm

There is sometimes a thin line between "dealing" and "tinkering". However the OPs post was on "buying" so that should have been the focus and maybe concentrated on.

If I had some money in my accounts I would follow my normal rules. Currently a "toss-up" between Marstons and Greene King. I would side with Imperial brands over BATS, but that is just a personal opinion.

I, like others, have decided that Brexit could go either way for shares and as such have decided that (if I had money) I would steer clear of Utilities and Construction (both are excluded for criteria reasons as well) until we know which way we are going with Brexit and "possible" election. But would not let Brexit stop me from purchasing now.

Raptor.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 20th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Moderator Message:
Just a note that if you wish to discuss moderation then Room 101 has been set-up for this purpose. If you feel that a mod decision is wrong then that is the place and Admin will have the final say. Posting on threads is against Admins rules and guidelines. Hope you understand and comply. Thanks. Raptor.

Moderator Message:
Walrus, I read your original post very carefully. You did nothing wrong. It was people coming in over the top of you who then got into discussions of trading. That in turn drew the fire of other people who hit the alert button and which caused me to move the entire thread because - with the addition of those posts - it became outside the HYP boundary. I guess I could have tried to disentangle it into two threads but it was easier to move the whole thing. Bottom line is that us Mods respond mostly to alerts. It wasn't you wot did it. regards, dspp

(now waiting for a plane .......)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 29th, 2018, 4:04 pm

absolutezero wrote:Genuine suggestion here:

AFAIK there is no rule that bans discussing selling on the HYP practical board. Goodness knows where this rumour came from, but it demonstrably isn't true. We are frequently having discussions about selling this or that share, or floating balloons about it hoping for some useful opinions. There was a recent one about selling ULVR (which you quoted from yourself), and I've discussed my possibility of selling Pearson more than once.

There really would be no reason to have a vote on a rule which does not exist.

As there have been some deletions, I haven't the foggiest whether this point has been made before, or whether I even made it myself!

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 29th, 2018, 5:45 pm

absolutezero wrote:Fallen foul of the narrow range of rules about HYPs.

Genuine suggestion here:

I've just made a similar point in Room 101 actually (with regards to holdings, not trading): Perhaps we need a few "in/out" referendums polls to settle such existential HYP questions, "for a generation", as the politicians say.

But back O/T, I've settled for drip feeding my cash pile on the monthly cheap days next year. Predicting the direction of SPs is a mugs game.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » December 29th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Walrus wrote:I'm being a good HYPer and keeping with the program. No panic stations, I think the only thing I hold which is remotely tempting to sell is Lloyds, but more to do with better alternatives available than anything else.

My gut feeling is we are going lower from here but I'm also attracted to topping up specifically.

BATs
Grid
Some Alternative Income trusts (OT)

I have this year's ISA allowance remaining and am tempted to stick some In now even though my plan was to wait until after Brexit day. Anyone got any views on investment timing 're Brexit

Hi Walrus,

re. Topping up Grid, did you see this?

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/ti ... -in-doubt/

Yes the article is behind a pay/subscription wall - you may be appear to catch a glimpse of some of it, still though, even if you don't have an IC subscription.

Matt

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”