Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Temptations to sell HYP and buy back later

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
veeCodger1

Temptations to sell HYP and buy back later

Postby veeCodger1 » May 9th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I recently read another topic in the Lemon Fool where the OP is 1 year from retirement and decided to sell their HYP at the beginning of March this year. The value would have dropped 25% if they did not sell. They are now considering buying it back.

I can understand the temptations to do this but I have never been particularly good at trying to time the market and usually when it comes to me reacting, it is too late. As a result I will probably do nothing and if possible add to certain investments.

I mention this because I fear there may be more drops in shares values and income ahead. The Bank of England, last week said it expects GDP to decline 14% in 2020. This will be the worst slump for 300 years.

Surely, these are different times and different strategies are called for.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Temptations to sell HYP and buy back later

Postby dealtn » May 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm

veeCodger1 wrote: The Bank of England, last week said it expects GDP to decline 14% in 2020.

Not sure how relevant that is to share prices if I'm honest (and that's ignoring their track record with such "predictions").

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Temptations to sell HYP and buy back later

Postby 88V8 » May 9th, 2020, 11:12 pm

The decision to sell was bold. On a falling market I find it easier to buy. Early March to May, I was buying.

The market looks ahead. Beyond the panpanic. Overall, the bottom was 18-23 March. The rise has still some way to go. Not too late to buy back, even though the ideal moment has passed.

On the whole not expecting falls now. Exceptions apply. There will be some more companies that do not make it.

As an income investor, I am tending less to individual HYP shares, the pool has become shallow. More to a few ITs where the reserves will bridge income gaps, and continuing with Fixed Interest where the income is, so far, reliable - even DNA2 paid the quarterly div last week.

V8

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”