Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Anyone tempted to take profits on AZN?

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: Anyone tempted to take profits on AZN?

Postby TUK020 » May 19th, 2020, 8:03 am

BT63 wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot for the last couple of weeks because AZN have been a major holding of mine for a decade.

AZN look very expensive on current valuation measures and it's very tempting to dump the lot. My finger hovers over the sell button.

Here's what causes me to hesitate:
5. If I sell, everything is wrecked so I don't know where else to put the money, other than maybe a tracker (although I think FTSE has priced in too much good news).

I had posted this on high yield strategies, but it got moderated somewhere obscure. It is one of the alternatives I am considering

Buy Signal for Oilies
I was reading over the weekend that the Saudi sovereign wealth fund had made major forays into the western equity markets to pick up bargains.
What caught my eye was a significant purchase of BP.
The country with the biggest influence over the oil price has just placed a bet on a company whose fortunes are tied to the price of oil.

tuk020

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » May 19th, 2020, 9:28 am

TUK020 wrote:
BT63 wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot for the last couple of weeks because AZN have been a major holding of mine for a decade.

AZN look very expensive on current valuation measures and it's very tempting to dump the lot. My finger hovers over the sell button.

Here's what causes me to hesitate:
5. If I sell, everything is wrecked so I don't know where else to put the money, other than maybe a tracker (although I think FTSE has priced in too much good news).

I had posted this on high yield strategies, but it got moderated somewhere obscure. It is one of the alternatives I am considering

Buy Signal for Oilies
I was reading over the weekend that the Saudi sovereign wealth fund had made major forays into the western equity markets to pick up bargains.
What caught my eye was a significant purchase of BP.
The country with the biggest influence over the oil price has just placed a bet on a company whose fortunes are tied to the price of oil.

tuk020

Its here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23482

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » May 19th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Measured from October 1998 to its recent peak a week or so ago, AZN had returned 373% in capital gains for me and paid 146% of its book cost in dividends, delivering a CAGR in dividends per share a shade under 9% from 2000 to 2019.

Granted, it fell off a patent cliff in the mid 2010s and ROCE and OM fell steeply. However, that seems to be turning around.

We can't foretell the future but AZN's performance over 22 years has been pleasing.

Best wishes

Mark.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”