Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Constructing an hyp (no capitals)

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Re: Constructing an hyp (no capitals)

Postby G3lc » July 21st, 2020, 11:36 am

Dod101 wrote:
G3lc wrote:OK Dod, but would you buy Scottish mortgage today?

I have held them first in certificated form and then for many years in an ISA. I have held them for about 25 years one way or another. I have top sliced them three times this year and am unlikely to do so again. To answer the question? It would depend on my timescale, but I might well do so if I were thinking about 'forever' or at least the next 5 years. Their yield is derisory, and I have always held them simply to try to harvest capital gains from time to time and they have been a great investment for that.

At least two of my teenage grandchildren hold them as well and they have proved an ideal investment for that situation.

Dod

I’m disappointed to say none of my 10 great grand children (all in their 20s and 30s) have the slightest interest in investing in the Stockmarket all they are interested in is selling everything to invest in housing - and I was the same at that age - is this perhaps an old persons investment interest, and perhaps we should take that onboard when we make our investment decisions.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm

I provided a very modest amount of seed corn when they were very young, and the two that I am referring to have a father who works for a big investment manager so I think he encourages them. One of them is very aware of money. None have as yet reached the stage where they need to think about housing though, except for student accommodation.

Dod

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » July 21st, 2020, 3:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:I provided a very modest amount of seed corn when they were very young, and the two that I am referring to have a father who works for a big investment manager so I think he encourages them. One of them is very aware of money. None have as yet reached the stage where they need to think about housing though, except for student accommodation.

Dod

I tried to get them interested years ago with shares in some of the privatisations when they were young, perhaps too young, one of my daughters is an ACA company accountant and she views it all as a bit of a Ponzi, (but she has several company pension pots) and that doesn’t help, but having said that a Ponzi can be OK as long as you get out at the right time. My son has no real interest and only buys when I tell him the prices are on the floor, and then tends to sell to turn a profit - perhaps he is right.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am

G3lc wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
G3lc wrote:OK Dod, but would you buy Scottish mortgage today?

I have held them first in certificated form and then for many years in an ISA. I have held them for about 25 years one way or another. I have top sliced them three times this year and am unlikely to do so again. To answer the question? It would depend on my timescale, but I might well do so if I were thinking about 'forever' or at least the next 5 years. Their yield is derisory, and I have always held them simply to try to harvest capital gains from time to time and they have been a great investment for that.

At least two of my teenage grandchildren hold them as well and they have proved an ideal investment for that situation.

Dod

I’m disappointed to say none of my 10 great grand children (all in their 20s and 30s) have the slightest interest in investing in the Stockmarket all they are interested in is selling everything to invest in housing - and I was the same at that age - is this perhaps an old persons investment interest, and perhaps we should take that onboard when we make our investment decisions.

No- my son in his twenties already has a SIPP and a number of shares, though mainly american, things like Coca Cola.

The reason property gets its prominence as the only way to make money is that those that have invested in property have done well out of it and tend to be more vocal. I do detect a shift in some of my son's generation, they want their wealth to be portable and capable of moving with them wherever they go in the world (He is heading to the USA once he eventually gets married this year(his intended is American)

Basically chatting in the pub about a physical thing you have acquired, like a property, is understandable, discussing you bought more SMT is not.

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » July 22nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

It’s not just chatting in the pub - one of my grandsons in his 30s an FCA who does international audits for one of the big 3 audit houses is less than sanguine about investing in the stock market, but as I say to him what else is there - his response, better than nothing I suppose, especially if your old and past it. A bit unkind, but perhaps right - I didn’t really getting interested until my late 50s/60s but feel I could have done better if I had started earlier, but then one needs the available money and time.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”