Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bailing out of BT. but what to buy?...

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Bailing out of BT. but what to buy?...

Postby Wizard » June 23rd, 2020, 9:03 am

floyd3592 wrote:Thinking of divesting my holding of BT in my HYP following it’s suspension of divis for the foreseeable & I’m also I’m not confident about its long term ability to recover its share price from it’s current slump. I’m currently sitting on a 48% capital loss and thought I could be better, rather than ‘locking in’ my losses, by purchasing some more of the other shares in my HYP with similar losses but with better dividend paying and overall prospects than BT.

I am currently sitting on losses of 50% for RDSB, 43% for IMB, 47% for HSBC & 27% for Aviva. Would any of these make a better home for my money than BT? Or are there any other candidates who’s share price has dropped lately but might be a better home for my dosh?

Not sure there has been much focus on your question in the answers you have received on HYP-P, as I cannot post there under the guidelines I have to split the thread in order to respond.

Like you, my HYP investment has resulted in some eye watering capital losses. Like you I have been thinking if the current Covid-19 situation presents an opportunity to trade some of the worst businesses for some that have a bit more faith in. I have therefore ranked all the holdings that I bought before I threw in the towel on the value destroying HYP path to see where we are now versus two comparison dates, the 1st January and 20th February (which I consider the day the FTSE started to really respond to Covid-19).

Based on yesterday's close I make the loss on BT since 20th February a smidge over 22%. There are several companies in the portfolio I would be happier to hold long term that have fallen by less and for your purposes a couple of them still pay a dividend. The top two candidates in my mind are Shell and Legal & General. Since 20th February Shell has fallen by about 33% and Legal & General by about 31%, this means you would get more Shell or Legal and General shares from the proceeds of a BT sale. They both continue to pay a dividend though of course the Shell one is reduced.

The problem with BT though is that unlike many other shares it had already fallen quite a bit ahead of 20th February, hence why I also look at the drop since January 1st. Since January 1st BT has dropped by about 38%. Legal & General has only fallen by 28% and Shell has fallen by roughly 42%. I think this is because the COvid-19 outbreak hit China and therefore oil prices and therefore oil company share prices earlier than a lot of other company share prices.

So, if, as it seems the exam question is how do you not lock in a paper capital loss, increase long term recovery prospects and get some income back, my recommendation is Shell. However, two words of caution. First, I have only done this for shares I own, so there may be other candidates I do not track. Second, I am not bullish for a quick recovery in Shell as I have heard predictions that oil prices will take a long time to recover.

Hopefully that is of help.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bailing out of BT. but what to buy?...

Postby moorfield » June 23rd, 2020, 9:18 am

seagles wrote:
floyd3592 wrote:Thinking of divesting my holding of BT in my HYP following it’s suspension of divis for the foreseeable & I’m also I’m not confident about its long term ability to recover its share price from it’s current slump. I’m currently sitting on a 48% capital loss and thought I could be better, rather than ‘locking in’ my losses, by purchasing some more of the other shares in my HYP with similar losses but with better dividend paying and overall prospects than BT.

I am currently sitting on losses of 50% for RDSB, 43% for IMB, 47% for HSBC & 27% for Aviva. Would any of these make a better home for my money than BT? Or are there any other candidates who’s share price has dropped lately but might be a better home for my dosh?

My own position is to not do anything with my cutters until the dust settles and we see who does reinstate divis and at what level. Nowhere in HYP does it say you have to keep dividend cutters especially if there are better prospects out there.

I think this is very pragmatic advice. My position also is to wait until the corona-cutters have resumed a full dividend cycle (interim + final), or until 2023, whichever happens first. In the meantime I'll continue topping up high yield shares that continue to pay dividends. IMB, SSE for example might be next ones for me.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 23rd, 2020, 9:30 am

Wizard wrote:...
Based on yesterday's close I make the loss on BT since 20th February a smidge over 22%. There are several companies in the portfolio I would be happier to hold long term that have fallen by less and for your purposes a couple of them still pay a dividend. The top two candidates in my mind are Shell and Legal & General. Since 20th February Shell has fallen by about 33% and Legal & General by about 31%, this means you would get more Shell or Legal and General shares from the proceeds of a BT sale. They both continue to pay a dividend though of course the Shell one is reduced...

My apologies, that should of course say companies that have fallen by more, not less as I foolishly typed.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 23rd, 2020, 10:31 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Seems eminently sensible to me to swap the basket case BT for two high quality, over sold companies, RDSB and LGEN. Little thinking required to me on that.

RVF

You would be a behavioural economist's dream subject with that level of emotional impulse to your investing style I would think!

floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Postby floyd3592 » June 23rd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Wizard wrote:Like you, my HYP investment has resulted in some eye watering capital losses. Like you I have been thinking if the current Covid-19 situation presents an opportunity to trade some of the worst businesses for some that have a bit more faith in.

The top two candidates in my mind are Shell and Legal & General. Since 20th February Shell has fallen by about 33% and Legal & General by about 31%, this means you would get more Shell or Legal and General shares from the proceeds of a BT sale. They both continue to pay a dividend though of course the Shell one is reduced.

Hopefully that is of help.

Absolutely of help thank u very much Wizard!

Regards
Floyd

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm

No discussion on Investment Trusts as a possible alternative?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 23rd, 2020, 12:59 pm

monabri wrote:No discussion on Investment Trusts as a possible alternative?

As the original post was on HYP-P* I assumed not.

* Given part of the exchange on that very thread though I now wonder if the board needs to be renamed 'HYP and / or TLFHYP Practical' :lol:

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 23rd, 2020, 1:11 pm

As this is on the HYS&S board then I'm suggesting that one considers an IT such as Law Deb ( cover, yield), Merchants ( higher yield, lower cover) or 'exotica' such as HFEL ;)

And I've not even suggested Private Equity funds or Prefs....

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”