Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Distinguishing between the Person, the Plan, and the Idea

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Re: Distinguishing between the Person, the Plan, and the Idea

Postby Charlottesquare » July 7th, 2020, 10:30 am

Only has one major serious drawback to me,its absence of direct overseas geographic choice- unless FTSE 100 shares chosen have international dimensions that match where one might wish one's investments to go they miss the mark, if I am to run on share specific strategic ignorance am I also to ignore world affairs/geography/macroeconomic trends?

This can to an extent be cured by using Investment Trusts but these break the rules, and that, to me, is HYP's main shortcoming.

Now one might say that to use as an annuity substitute for a UK based citizen a UK focus in shares is advisable to reduce currency risks/volatility of income in sterling terms, and to an extent that is a fair point, but a lot of FTSE 100 listed shares are very much not UK currency stable re dividends (e.g.Shell/BP) so there is a currency risk and what might be simple re selection actually gets complex as each share choice needs its accounts delved within to determine where the business makes sales/earn profits.

Accordingly to me if international factors are to be considered HYP is actually not simple but hard work, it is, absent Investment Trusts, the wrong tool for the job, if people are happy with that fair enough but I cannot invest ignoring geography.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 7th, 2020, 10:39 am

1nvest wrote:Odd, if I click on the latest post image on the main page for this thread, it takes me to a old post, not the latest !!

Based on my experience of this, I think this happens when you're already up to date on a thread, so it takes you to the first post on the last page.

Watis

(back to lurker mode - no HYP)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 7th, 2020, 11:14 am

HYP for me was the investing equivalent of the 'Couch-to-5K' jogging routine that I took up to help with my running fitness.

It got me off the investment 'couch', and provided a focus and structure to my investment processes that I was sadly lacking in my previous approach to personal investment, in the same way that the 'Couch-to-5K' plan does with it's structural approach to that final 5K jogging goal.

A big benefit for me personally was that I was, and still am, working and building my investment-portfolio, and over the years that has allowed me to build on that initial HYP approach, and look into some of the wider investment opportunities that are available outside of the stricter HYP guidelines. Doing so suits me much better than sticking to the original approach, but that's what personal investment gives us - opportunities to change things in ways that suit us as individuals.

So I don't follow a strict HYP strategy now, in the same way that I don't listen to the 'Couch-to-5K' podcast any more when I head out for a run, but I'll always acknowledge and thank pyad for helping to provide the timely investment structure that I needed earlier in my life.

As individual investors, we might never personally have the very best plans available at any given time, but I'm a great believer that even a moderate plan that can be improved upon is much better than not having a plan at all, and for all the criticism pointed towards pyad over the years, at least we can say that he was willing and able to come up with a plan, and offer it to those of us that were still lounging on the investment couch, wondering how the hell to get off it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 7th, 2020, 11:46 am

Itsallaguess wrote: and for all the criticism pointed towards pyad over the years, at least we can say that he was willing and able to come up with a plan, and offer it to those of us that were still lounging on the investment couch, wondering how the hell to get off it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Virtually all IIP trusts operated with a partial eye to income (balanced with the rights of the fiar re capital), there is little new in the idea of investing for dividends in a long term buy and mainly forget manner , my late father's law firm for decades,I suspect for most of the eighty odd years it existed in the 20th century and maybe some periods in the 19th, managed and operated a whole array of private trusts where such long term, dividend paying, investments were at their core.(Though ITs more than individual shares)

The idea is accordingly not new it is merely the constraining rules that are new.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 7th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
and for all the criticism pointed towards pyad over the years, at least we can say that he was willing and able to come up with a plan, and offer it to those of us that were still lounging on the investment couch, wondering how the hell to get off it...

Virtually all IIP trusts operated with a partial eye to income (balanced with the rights of the fiar re capital), there is little new in the idea of investing for dividends in a long term buy and mainly forget manner , my late father's law firm for decades,I suspect for most of the eighty odd years it existed in the 20th century and maybe some periods in the 19th, managed and operated a whole array of private trusts where such long term, dividend paying, investments were at their core.(Though ITs more than individual shares)

The idea is accordingly not new it is merely the constraining rules that are new.

I've not suggested that it was a new idea..

But then, jogging round the block wasn't a new idea when I took up the 'Couch-to-5K' plan either, but I hope you'll accept that it's been very successful in promoting the idea that complete novices can get from their couch and into some running shoes...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
and for all the criticism pointed towards pyad over the years, at least we can say that he was willing and able to come up with a plan, and offer it to those of us that were still lounging on the investment couch, wondering how the hell to get off it...

I've not suggested that it was a new idea..

But then, jogging round the block wasn't a new idea when I took up the 'Couch-to-5K' plan either, but I hope you'll accept that it's been very successful in promoting the idea that complete novices can get from their couch and into some running shoes...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

They are not complete novices, they are returnees; unless, of course, they took no exercise as children.

I could run 20k in my mid teens without issue (in fact I did, running a school 20k sponsored walk as it was a Saturday and I was in a hurry to finish and get away)

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”