Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Creating a SHDP

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Creating a SHDP

Postby dealtn » July 20th, 2020, 11:09 am

G3lc wrote:Thank you - so I take it from your thoughtful and knowledgable comments is do nothing ’till the fog clears.

I can see you are a relative newcomer here, so firstly and belatedly welcome.

Might I suggest you employ the "Quote" function on the site, which is by clicking the " towards the top right of any post, when you are making comments such as above. 3 people replied to you and it isn't particularly clear who you are referring to (or whether you are being sarcastic or not either - the vast majority of people here are trying to be helpful regardless of whether what they say is what one wants to hear). I'm not sure all of those replies were conveying a "do nothing" response.

I hope this exercise has had some usefulness to you in your considerations of how to approach investing, even if, at least so far, there have been few suggestions as to strategy, or specific investments which might meet your criteria of Safe.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 20th, 2020, 11:56 am

G3lc wrote:Yes me to, but how do the professional managers that pick the stocks for the ITs decide on what to pick? - I would assume they do much the same as the rest of us - or do they?

They have a lot more research resources than the lay researcher , far more tech, far more bespoke reports, far more Quant analysis (what my wife did all these years ago) and they have a steady supply of goat entrails and the ears of the gods.

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » July 20th, 2020, 1:15 pm

dealtn wrote:
G3lc wrote:Thank you - so I take it from your thoughtful and knowledgable comments is do nothing ’till the fog clears.

I can see you are a relative newcomer here, so firstly and belatedly welcome.

Might I suggest you employ the "Quote" function on the site, which is by clicking the " towards the top right of any post, when you are making comments such as above. 3 people replied to you and it isn't particularly clear who you are referring to (or whether you are being sarcastic or not either - the vast majority of people here are trying to be helpful regardless of whether what they say is what one wants to hear). I'm not sure all of those replies were conveying a "do nothing" response.

I hope this exercise has had some usefulness to you in your considerations of how to approach investing, even if, at least so far, there have been few suggestions as to strategy, or specific investments which might meet your criteria of Safe.

Firstly thank you for your welcome.

I did not use the “quote” function as my intention was to thank all who took the trouble to think and respond, and sarcasm is not my thing as I have never felt the need.

For the record I have what was meant to be a 30 share HYP and about the same in ITs - far to many I’m told but they all seemed to make sense over the past 20 or so years when bought - I only sell to take advantage of the annual CG allowance.

Over this time I have made my mistakes and taken the resulting losses, and with this in mind looking into the possibility of an alternative investment strategy.

My interest in a SHDP is I still have cash to invest and my confidence in cash is as beads and shells and my confidence in trade and business remains as the only sensible investment vehicle, and being keen to learn as much as is available - hence this thread.

I found your comment about fund managers primary interest is beating the competition, most thought provoking, but obvious when thought through, will dwell on it.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 20th, 2020, 2:59 pm

G3lc wrote:I have what was meant to be a 30 share HYP and about the same in ITs - far to many I’m told but they all seemed to make sense over the past 20 or so years when bought - .... I still have cash to invest.....

'They all seemed to make sense when bought' - haha, I think we can all identify with that.

With a twenty year history you probably have more experience than many on here.

Indeed, it's not easy knowing what to do right now. March/May it was like shooting fish in a barrel, buy this buy that, one could hardly go wrong. Now I'm sitting on six figures, waiting for the finger to descend from the clouds and point the way.

As regards fund managers, for several years I used two 'wealth managers' until I decided I could do better myself* and I noticed that their results tended to outperform during hard times and underperform when things were going well.

Sine March I have put more into (income) ITs and less into direct equities, and I think it will stay that way for the foreseeable.
Five years? Not foreseeable, really.

Also, I have a lot of Fixed Interest which has underpinned our income, but most Fixed Interest is now back to being pretty fully valued and with the majority being Financials and the CV19 impact on that sector being unclear, I would not go seriously into FI from a standing start now.

Yes, I think Funds and cash as a parking place, fttb.

V8

*true, but only sometimes.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”