Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Income from RIETs...

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Re: Income from RIETs...

Postby Changeable » November 13th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Back again!

Question...

If PID payments are subject to a 20% withholding tax, and non-PID payments are paid gross without any deductions,
why would a company choose to make the distribution to shareholders from one rather than from the other ?

I notice that since 2018, Reginal Reit didn't make any non-PID distributions...

Good weekend everybody!

Changable

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 13th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Changeable wrote:Back again!

Question...

If PID payments are subject to a 20% withholding tax, and non-PID payments are paid gross without any deductions,
why would a company choose to make the distribution to shareholders from one rather than from the other ?

I notice that since 2018, Reginal Reit didn't make any non-PID distributions...

Good weekend everybody!

Changable

You need to consider it from the company's perspective as well as the shareholder.

A REIT doesn't have to pay the Corporation Tax, therefore the "pot" is bigger to pay dividends. Obviously that is attractive to companies who take on REIT status. The consequence though is they have to pay out a minimum of 90% eligible profits as a PID.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 13th, 2020, 5:48 pm

dealtn wrote:You need to consider it from the company's perspective as well as the shareholder.

A REIT doesn't have to pay the Corporation Tax, therefore the "pot" is bigger to pay dividends. Obviously that is attractive to companies who take on REIT status. The consequence though is they have to pay out a minimum of 90% eligible profits as a PID.

If I now understand it correctly, a REIT is legally obliged to pay at least 90% of its distributable income out as a PID.
Then it's only the from the remaining 10%, (after the 90% has been paid) that could eventually be paid out as a Non PID

Thanks for your help!

Changeable

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 13th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Changeable wrote:
dealtn wrote:You need to consider it from the company's perspective as well as the shareholder.

If I now understand it correctly, a REIT is legally obliged to pay at least 90% of its distributable income out as a PID.
Then it's only the from the remaining 10%, (after the 90% has been paid) that could eventually be paid out as a Non PID

Thanks for your help!

Changeable

Nope, because there is also non-eligible profits to consider, out of which they can pay non-PIDs too

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm

You never actually said whether you bought any RGL or not -- just that you'd placed a small limit order at 60p.

I ask because they're at 80p now...

MDW1954

PS I've now bought the extra CREI to which I alluded.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 17th, 2020, 7:30 pm

dealtn wrote:
Changeable wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Changeable

Nope, because there is also non-eligible profits to consider, out of which they can pay non-PIDs too

I don't qualify for the tax relief and this makes it more difficult to accurately estimate the probable income... :(

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

MDW1954 wrote:You never actually said whether you bought any RGL or not -- just that you'd placed a small limit order at 60p.

I ask because they're at 80p now...

MDW1954

PS I've now bought the extra CREI to which I alluded.

Instead of sensibly buying them at market and paying + - 62, I was greedy and put in a limit order at 60p.
The price rocketed, I thought that there would surely be a correction in a day or two, and I finally ended up paying 75p... :(
Fortunately, it was for a relatively small amount...

I'm waiting for the funds to arrive from the takeover of William Hill, and when the cash is on my account, I'll worry about what to buy next...

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 17th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Changeable wrote:I'm waiting for the funds to arrive from the takeover of William Hill, and when the cash is on my account, I'll worry about what to buy next...

NRR is still cheap. I've been buying that, too.

MDW1954

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 17th, 2020, 8:45 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Changeable wrote:I'm waiting for the funds to arrive from the takeover of William Hill, and when the cash is on my account, I'll worry about what to buy next...

NRR is still cheap. I've been buying that, too.

MDW1954

Thanks, I'll have a look at them tomorrow...

Changeable

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » December 1st, 2020, 9:17 am

I hold two REITs in my income portfolio, Standard life property and Regional. Recent dividends have been cut by 40% and 20% respectively.

At least this is better than Newriver, which I have had a “nibble” at in a separate ISA account, and which has cancelled dividends entirely until next year, and has seen a 50% capital loss....

MP

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”