Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

When to sell / buy

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
TopOfDaMornin
Lemon Pip

When to sell / buy

Postby TopOfDaMornin » February 5th, 2021, 5:00 pm

On 02/09/2020, for the first time, I sold some shares from my HYP in order to diversify away into some ITs and global trackers.

The sold shares, all of which had stopped paying dividend where: BT-A, CPG, LLOY, MARS and RMG.

From the sales of the above I bought: BMO Global Smaller Companies (BGSC.L), Bankers Investment Trust (BNKR.L), The City of London Investment Trust (CTY.L), Lowland Investment Company (LWI.L), The Merchants Trust (MRCH.L), Murray Income Trust (MUT.L), Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (SMT.L), Temple Bar Investment Trust (TMPL.L)

I notice since my sale of the above shares the prices have risen significantly (54%):

Symbol | Total chg. %
BT-A.L | 22.25%
CPG.L | 18.99%
LLOY.L | 37.35%
MARS.L | 89.62%
RMG.L | 144.58%

The ITs I bought have also gone up (24%) but not to the same extent.

I am trying to find lessons learn, if any.

1. I cannot time the market.
2. Limited use in ‘looking back’ at what was sold.
3. Be content if the shares / ITs you buy are ‘good quality’

TDM

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: When to sell / buy

Postby monabri » February 5th, 2021, 5:08 pm

If it's any consolation ( and it's not!) I too sold out of RMG at ~150p and a fairly chunky holding of SMT at ~£6 :oops:

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 6th, 2021, 11:39 am

Ahh yes, sell low, buy high. A strategy most of us have occasionally adopted.

One can only do what seems right at the time.

And probably it is better not to look back, unless by looking back one can learn something.
Which is rather where this Topic began.........

V8

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 6th, 2021, 11:45 am

When to sell?

One rule I try to stick to stringently nowadays, is that whenever I feel the urge (just the urge, mind - it doesn't even have to be carried out...) to tell anyone how well one of my investments is doing, then I'll look to make at least a top-slice of that investment, even if it's not a full sale.

It's fine to run your winners, but we don't have to run all of them, all of the time....

I think it's the single best unconscious decision-making process of the lot when it comes to selling, and whilst I'm happy to have come up with it now, I do wish I'd made that decision a great deal earlier in my investment lifetime...

Investor, know thyself...

As to your 'jumping ship' issue, I'd concentrate on the 'quality' you've left behind, and the quality you've moved into. There's probably a reason that the shares you've left behind dropped so far in the first place...

It sounds like you've made a good move overall...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 6th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:When to sell?

One rule I try to stick to stringently nowadays, is that whenever I feel the urge (just the urge, mind - it doesn't even have to be carried out...) to tell anyone how well one of my investments is doing, then I'll look to make at least a top-slice of that investment, even if it's not a full sale.

I think you may have verbalised a new "All Time" wisdom with this, almost equivalent to when the shoe-shine boy starts discussing stocks with you it's time to sell. (Was that Buffett?)

Give it a few years and I bet this becomes endemic advice, and you'll receive it often! :o

Or perhaps it is already and this just shows how green I am as an investor...

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”