Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (May 2021)

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (May 2021)

Postby Itsallaguess » May 1st, 2021, 5:53 am

Below is a table of AIC-listed Investment Trusts which yield 3.5% or higher as at May 1st 2021.

The table is shown broken down by AIC sector, and then ranked in descending order of yield for each sector, and also shows relevant Discount or Premium information, along with the 5-year dividend growth-rate for each Investment Trust, and with a new additional column showing the relevant OCF charges including performance fees.

Please note that if anyone wishes to replicate this type of data-set themselves at any time, there are some instructions at the bottom of this post on how to do that...

I've dip-checked the above data, but please do note that it should be used only as a starting-point for further investigation, and it should certainly be the case that you should carry out your own due-diligence on any data that you may use for any subsequent investment decisions that you might wish to make...

A good source to cross-check some of the above data, if anything does look interesting or even suspicious, is the TrustNet website, which also gives yield and discount information for these types of investments - https://www.trustnet.com/

Here are some instructions to be able to generate up-to-date yield-data in the future, using the above excellent AIC website -

1. Open the AIC website (https://tinyurl.com/yawfc9zy)

2. Select the 'AIC Sector Selection' button, and then the 'AIC VCT Sectors' button, and then click the 'Deselect all AIC VCT Sectors' button to remove the VCT data from this list.

3. Also in the 'AIC Sector Selection' area, make sure the tick-boxes for 'Include AIC sector weighted averages', 'AIC weighted averages sorted to top', and also 'Include industry averages' are un-ticked.

4. In the 'AIC Equity Sectors' sections, and also the 'AIC Alternative Sectors', check to make sure that all of the sub-sector boxes are ticked to bring in the data for all of those sub-areas.

5. Select the 'Data points' button, and then in that section, open the 'Additional Data Points' area, and in there, select the 'TIDM', the 'Div cover (yrs)', and the 'Ongoing charge inc Perf fee (%)' tick-boxes.

6. Select the 'Filters' button, and then set the 'Dividend Yield' option to '3.5%+'

7. Underneath this settings-area, you should now have an up-to-date data-table similar to the above, broken down by AIC Sectors.

8. If you want to import that data into a spreadsheet, to perhaps then rank by sector and yield, then you should enable the option to view the data in 'Print Mode' by selecting the 'Save / Print' option, which can be found above the AIC settings area used above, and then selecting the 'Enable Print Mode' button - the AIC data will then be represented on-screen in a way that can be bulk-selected and copied into a spreadsheet.

• Please do note that if you don't select the 'Enable Print Mode' option, and you try to copy the data into a spreadsheet, then it's likely to only copy some of the data...

If anyone is interested in looking at any of the underlying investments behind any of the above income IT's, then the following post will help with some instructions on how to do that -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15549&p=191407#p191455

Link to April 2021 data - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28723

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Re: High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (May 2021)

Postby taken2often » May 21st, 2021, 11:36 am

Thanks again for this information. I was going to buy one more IT to take e up to 50. In the last few days I came accross an article on LF regarding high yield renewables that I had been avoiding. so the new target may be 55. This post will be very helpful

regards

Bob

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 21st, 2021, 1:05 pm

Thanks for this information. I regularly try and view these tables, but, because there are so many columns across the page, I cannot see, at the same time, the name of the trust on the extreme left end and the dividend yield on the extreme right end of the rows, even after reducing the text size to extremely small. I.e. there are too many columns across the page to be able to view both ends at the same time.

Yes, I can scroll (a long way down) to the bottom of the spreadsheet and slide the slider to one side (or the other), and then go back up and look at the yield, but then I don't know which IT I am then looking at, as I can't then see the left side of the table. If I go back down and slide to the other side, I can see the name of the trust, but not the dividend information at the right extreme, other end. I have to scroll to the bottom of the table each time, to move the slider one way or another.

Even by reducing text size dramatically, I can't see both ends and be able to read them. I am looking at the table on a laptop computer.

Any ideas?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I've found the data you produce copies quite well into a spreadsheet.

Thanks Snorvey - and I think that's probably the best solution too if anyone is having any problems with seeing the whole table due to screen-resolution issues etc..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 21st, 2021, 2:21 pm

Strange, I'm viewing the table on a 10" screen tablet and I can see 11 columns (Company name...to... Div yield).

Does it help to adjust the font size on the laptop or to change the screen resolution settings?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2021, 2:30 pm

richfool wrote:
Any ideas?

monabri wrote:
Strange, I'm viewing the table on a 10" screen tablet and I can see 11 columns (Company name...to... Div yield).

Does it help to adjust the font size on the laptop or to change the screen resolution settings?

Thanks monabri, and having had another think about this issue, I wonder if it's down to the user-profile board-setting that we introduced a while back to allow browsers to 'Use Maximum Width', which richfool might perhaps not have set on his own user-profile....

I think we dug that board-software plug-in out for the specific issue that trying to read tabular data was often difficult due to the vanilla board-software install wishing to waste valuable screen real-estate, and that plug-in gave those of us who use tables like this quite often a bit more width back, which solved a lot of the problems seen in the early days...

To check this, richfool could go to -

User Control Panel / Board Preferences / Edit Display Options, and then check on the setting at the bottom of that final window that says 'Use maximum width', which on my profile is set to 'Yes' -

It's certainly worth richfool checking that, I think, as it might well deliver the simplest solution if it's not currently set to 'Yes'...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 21st, 2021, 2:47 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:To check this, richfool could go to -

User Control Panel / Board Preferences / Edit Display Options, and then check on the setting at the bottom of that final window that says 'Use maximum width', which on my profile is set to 'Yes' -

It's certainly worth richfool checking that, I think, as it might well deliver the simplest solution if it's not currently set to 'Yes'...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I've just logged on to my laptop (Windows 10, Chrome browser) - I note that I've got "max width" set to "no" but I can still see 11 columns. :?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
richfool wrote:
Any ideas?

monabri wrote:

Thanks monabri, and having had another think about this issue, I wonder if it's down to the user-profile board-setting that we introduced a while back to allow browsers to 'Use Maximum Width', which richfool might perhaps not have set on his own user-profile....

I think we dug that board-software plug-in out for the specific issue that trying to read tabular data was often difficult due to the vanilla board-software install wishing to waste valuable screen real-estate, and that plug-in gave those of us who use tables like this quite often a bit more width back, which solved a lot of the problems seen in the early days...

To check this, richfool could go to -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for those suggestions. I have gone in to the Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Display Options and set that to "Use maximum width", as suggested (which it wasn't previously set to). That then got the table display as far as the Discount/Premium column of the table (with the left hand side fully shown), or a bit further if I reduce the text size on my laptop to a very small (tiny) size (by using Ctrl key and the minus sign), but still not beyond the 5yr dividend growth figure column. (My laptop has a 15" screen).

It's peculiar, as on my considerably smaller mobile phone, I can see all the columns, - the full width, though the device seems to achieve that by pushing/displaying multiple word descriptions/names down onto a second and third line within each column, e.g. with the names of the trust, management group and sector, each word of the name is displayed on a separate, second and third line below the first.

I also found I could use the link provided by IAG to access the AIC webpage, where, if I kept the text small enough, it would display/I could see, all the columns across the screen (just).

I use Mozilla Firefox browser on my laptop.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 21st, 2021, 6:40 pm

I think the problem is the headings. It's sizing the columns to fit the headings.
If they were shorter or stacked, the width would shrink, a lot.

As a relatively new user of Firefox, I find that some website pages are 'too big' on 100% which were fine in IE.
ii's portfolio page for instance.
Progress, not all good.

V8

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » May 21st, 2021, 10:16 pm

richfool wrote:Thanks for this information. I regularly try and view these tables, but, because there are so many columns across the page, I cannot see, at the same time, the name of the trust on the extreme left end and the dividend yield on the extreme right end of the rows, even after reducing the text size to extremely small. I.e. there are too many columns across the page to be able to view both ends at the same time.

What I find most useful is a browser extension called Table to Excel - it's for Firefox which you said you were using, although I believe Chrome users will have similar extensions available. Just put the cursor in the table near the top and right-click and select the menu option for the extension and you'll get a pop up option at the top of the table to copy to clipboard. Drop it in a spreadsheet and adjust as necessary for size and column positioning.

cheers
Spiderbill

Ricksure
Lemon Pip

Postby Ricksure » June 1st, 2021, 3:53 am

City Merchants High Yield changed their name and now known as "Invesco Bond Income Plus Limited" the epic CMHY no longer works and is now "BIPS"

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”