Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bailed out of BT nearly 12 months ago

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Bailed out of BT nearly 12 months ago

Postby Wizard » June 13th, 2021, 4:55 pm

The BT thread (https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=60) has been closed, on the grounds it was twelve months or so after the initial question of a replacement was posed, I therefore thought it worth starting a new thread specifically looking at some possible practical considerations that could be discussed coming out of 'bailing out of BT'.

Before the thread was closed I had started to draft a reply to this post in that thread...

tjh290633 wrote:As far as I can see, all you have demonstrated is that shares which have continued to pay dividends have by and large maintained their share price, while those that cancelled or reduced their dividends suffered a fall in share price. Since then they have recovered to some extent, while in the case of BT.A a new shareholder has built a substantial stake of 12%.

I don't think that your conclusions are a valid interpretation of the situation. I have shown several times that one year's losers are often the next year's winners in terms of share price movement. Fluctuations in share price are usually of little consequence in an HYP. Fluctuations in dividend rates are more important. You show an increase in dividends, I think, but this is merely a partial restoration of previous reductions. You will, of course, have noted that BT.A is still not paying dividends and is intimating an intention to recommence with an interim next February.

Distorting facts to suit your personal agenda is not helpful.

TJH

My bold.

Having just reread this post the two sentences I have highlighted raise a question in my mind. Is the statement made universally true, for both those drawing down and those not yet doing so but building their pension pot? In the case of the former it may be true in some cases, but I wonder if that is always the case. In the latter case I think it is even less universally true. TJH seem to give scope for it to not always be true, as he refers to "little consequence" rather than no consequence, and says dividend fluctuations are "more important" which implies a matter of degree not an absolute. But he does not expand on this and it is left very much as subtext.

One central principle of the initial HYP approach was that capital is very much subordinate to income. But of course, it is pretty much agreed by all that HYP has moved on since those initial articles in many respects. I wonder if the high level of subordination of capital is something that is also not as clear now as it once was.

For somebody drawing income from their HYP it may well be the case that capital is very much subordinate to income. But I also think there may be instances where that is not the case. One of the benefits of HYP over buying an annuity is the ability to pass assets on to ones heirs. In such a situation being able to pass on as much capital as possible may be important to an investor and if they have a significant safety margin they may trade income against capital preservation. Even for somebody in drawdown who takes all the income produced, if they envisage many years of future income requirement I would have thought capital would be relevant. If the capital in there portfolio were flat for many years it would mean either a similarly flat income groth, or, an ever spiralling yield which may not be sustainable. So capital, while not an objective in its own right may well be important as it is often correlated to income growth.

For the pot builder yet to start drawing down an income that latter point is all the more important. Returning to the initial point regarding the switch out of BT.A into other shares, for a pot builder seling a share low and then seeing the shares bought to replace it lag the performance of that sold share is far from ideal. In simple terms, surely a pot builder wants the biggest pot possible at the point they look to draw their income? If an income of £10,000pa is needed, somebody with a pot of £200,000 has many more options than somebody with a pot of £100,000. They can secure there income while likely being able to be more conservative, or alternatively, if they buy the hold the same basket of shares they will have a substantially bigger safety margin.

Holding forever has given way to various approaches to trimming, rebalancing and trading; no ITs has changed and now REITs and quasi-REITs are generally accepted; and, a method initially put forward for those seeking an immediate income is being used by some who are many years away from drawing that income with dividends reinvested. Is it not also now reasonable to consider a more balanced view on capital versus income alone, as they are in many instances linked and correlated?

Any thoughts from others?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bailed out of BT nearly 12 months ago

Postby Gengulphus » June 13th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Wizard,

It seems to me that you want a 'HYP strategy' with different investment goals to the original HYP strategy, or at least to discuss the possibilities for such a strategy. That would fit in excellently on the High Yield Shares & Strategies - General board. And you may also be aiming for HYP Practical's guidance to be revised to include the resulting strategy (if one does emerge) in what HYP Practical covers - that would be a matter to be discussed on Lemon Fool -- Improve the Recipe. And at least IMHO, both of those types of discussion are not in keeping with that guidance as it stands - specifically, its 3rd and 4th paragraphs.

Gengulphus
Moderator Message:
Thread now moved to HYSS-G from HYP-P, leaving a link. - Chris

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 13th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Wizard,

It seems to me that you want a 'HYP strategy' with different investment goals to the original HYP strategy, or at least to discuss the possibilities for such a strategy.

I don't want anything. The current guidance is not aligned to the original articles ina number of ways I pointed out.
Gengulphus wrote: That would fit in excellently on the High Yield Shares & Strategies - General board. And you may also be aiming for HYP Practical's guidance to be revised to include the resulting strategy (if one does emerge) in what HYP Practical covers - that would be a matter to be discussed on Lemon Fool -- Improve the Recipe. And at least IMHO, both of those types of discussion are not in keeping with that guidance as it stands - specifically, its 3rd and 4th paragraphs.

Gengulphus

Not trying to get anything changed, there is no reference to capital in the current guidelines one way or the other and my post was explicit that I mention it because of its relatiknship to drawing or creating a pot to draw an income from later.

csearle wrote:
Moderator Message:
Thread now moved to HYSS-G from HYP-P, leaving a link. - Chris

Bemused as to why this got moved, tempted to just ask for it to be deleted.
Moderator Message:
It got moved because I agreed with Gengulphus. I left a link so that it didn't disappear off the radar for HYP-P readers. If you would like it removed, as the OP, simply report it and your request will very probably be respected. Personally I hope you don't because I think your experiment has merit. - Chris

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 13th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Wizard wrote:Holding forever has given way to various approaches to trimming, rebalancing and trading; ... Is it not also now reasonable to consider a more balanced view on capital versus income alone, as they are in many instances linked and correlated?
Any thoughts from others?

As with so many things, it depends.....

If one is saving into an HYP with no immediate need for income, why an HYP?
After all, as someone commented, surely the desideratum is to arrive at retirement with the maximum pot, so up to that time the logical portfolio would seem to be growth.

However, that would leave one needing to assemble an HYP at point of retirement with no experience of running one. How long does it take to determine whether one is suited... the lumpiness of the income, the ups and down sometimes major, the decisions, balancing, how many years....

So if I were beginning an investment journey with logical planning in place of the randomness with which I actually arrived here, I would run a growth portfolio and for say ten years before planned retirement I would move a significant portion into an HYP, and on retirement I would dump the growth and move into income ITs and Fixed Interest which is where I am now.

Capital would matter to the extent that I would liquidate enough to use my CGT allowance. I would not rely on capital release for funding, too erratic.

By that time I would have decided whether to carry on with the HYP. I regard it now as a bit of a hobby thing, something I'll run with but not add new capital. I do buy and sell, there is no such thing as a forever share.

I don't need to chase the yield because we have ample income. I like to see the capital rise because one does, but it's not important, we have no one to whom to leave it.

That's my personal view. It all depends.

V8

PS it got moved because HYP has a format, and you're pushing at the envelope. HYP as worshipped here does not embrace TR.... as you know full well ;)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 13th, 2021, 11:36 pm

Having now returned home, I can make some comments about the performance of BT.A and other shares over the last few years, looking at both capital and income.

Of those listed in Wizard's original post, viewtopic.php?p=418903#p418903 I have looked at those which I hold, namely BT.A, LLOY and BLND among the potential disposals and PHP and IGG among the potential purchases.

With the limited time available, I have looked at the share prices and the dividends paid over the last few years:

Share   Final Date   Price when ann   Dividend (yr)   Yield   Change Div   Change Price         
BT.A 03-Sep-18 217.65 15.4 7.08%
BT.A 09-Sep-19 217.60 15.4 7.08% 0.00% -0.02%
BT.A 08-Sep-20 105.30 0 0.00% -100.00% -51.61%
BT.A 07-Sep-21 161.70 0 0.00% 53.56%
BT.A 11-Jun-21 191.80 0 0.00% 18.61%

LLOY 29-May-18 69.20 3.05 4.41%
LLOY 21-May-19 60.00 3.21 5.35% 5.25% -13.29%
LLOY 27-May-20 57.60 0 0.00% -100.00% -4.00%
LLOY 25-May-21 39.50 0.57 1.44% -31.42%
LLOY 11-Jun-21 48.40 0.57 1.18% 0.00% 22.53%

BLND 03-Aug-18 696.80 30.08 4.32%
BLND 02-Aug-19 556.60 31 5.57% 3.06% -20.12%
BLND 01-Aug-20 404.30 15.965 3.95% -48.50% -27.36%
BLND 06-Aug-21 510.40 15.04 2.95% -5.79% 26.24%
BLND 11-Jun-21 510.20 13.28 2.60% -11.70% -0.04%

PHP 22-Nov-18 110.00 5.4 4.91% Approx
PHP 21-Nov-19 140.00 5.6 4.00% 3.70% 27.27% Approx
PHP 20-Nov-20 149.50 5.9 3.95% 5.36% 6.79% Approx
PHP 19-Nov-21 155.00 6.2 4.00% 5.08% 3.68%
PHP 11-Jun-21 155.70 6.2 3.98% 0.00% 0.45%

IGG 26/10/18 600.00 43.4 7.23% Approx
IGG 24/10/19 660.00 45.36 6.87% 4.52% 10.00% Approx
IGG 22/10/20 820.00 45.36 5.53% 0.00% 24.24% Approx
IGG 21/10/21 820.00 45.36 5.53% 0.00% 0.00%
IGG 11/06/21 861.00 45.36 5.27% 0.00% 5.00%

The recent rise in BT.A share price is down to stake building by an activist. The others have moved with the market, affected by dividend payment or not.

I have had to interpolate some data.

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 14th, 2021, 10:43 am

I was trying to put things into context. Looking at the share prices before and after the falls, due to dividend cuts, and the performance of two competing shares. I had to use graphs to estimate the historical prices for PHP and IGG, as I have only recently added them. Ideally I should have compared the amount of dividends from given amounts of shares in each holding, but that begs the question of when were they bought. The last row for each share is the price on Friday night and the latest state of the dividends.

BT.A we know plans to resume in February. LLOY we only have the final declared for 2020 to go on, but we can assume interim and final for 2021, although not a resumption of quarterly dividends. BLND has reverted to interim and final instead of quarterlies. I have assumed that in 2021 we shall have twice the final for 2020. If I put the proposed 7.7p into the BT.A calculation I get a yield of 4%, and doubling the LLOY final gives a yield of 2.4%.

Looking at the share prices, none of the cutters have got back to their 2019 levels. In terms of income from similar values of shares, both PHP and IGG are higher than the others even allowing for expected increases.

I do not see that anyone who chose to cull the cutters would have any regrets.

TJH

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » June 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I was trying to put things into context. Looking at the share prices before and after the falls, due to dividend cuts, and the performance of two competing shares. I had to use graphs to estimate the historical prices for PHP and IGG, as I have only recently added them. Ideally I should have compared the amount of dividends from given amounts of shares in each holding, but that begs the question of when were they bought. The last row for each share is the price on Friday night and the latest state of the dividends.

BT.A we know plans to resume in February. LLOY we only have the final declared for 2020 to go on, but we can assume interim and final for 2021, although not a resumption of quarterly dividends. BLND has reverted to interim and final instead of quarterlies. I have assumed that in 2021 we shall have twice the final for 2020. If I put the proposed 7.7p into the BT.A calculation I get a yield of 4%, and doubling the LLOY final gives a yield of 2.4%.

Looking at the share prices, none of the cutters have got back to their 2019 levels. In terms of income from similar values of shares, both PHP and IGG are higher than the others even allowing for expected increases.

TJH

Well said Terry, thanks. I hold the later two, and I’m glad I do. Also I don’t regret dumping the cutters in my HYP last year, although the flak you can get on HYPP from some quarters isn’t very nice. Each to their own and all that.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 14th, 2021, 12:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I was trying to put things into context. Looking at the share prices before and after the falls, due to dividend cuts, and the performance of two competing shares. I had to use graphs to estimate the historical prices for PHP and IGG, as I have only recently added them. Ideally I should have compared the amount of dividends from given amounts of shares in each holding, but that begs the question of when were they bought. The last row for each share is the price on Friday night and the latest state of the dividends.

TJH

My bold.

If I sold a share and then 12 months later it was worth considerably more than the share I replaced it with and I was building a pot to draw an income from in the future I would definitely be disappointed. More importantly I would be looking for any clue I could find as to when not to do the same in the future, not shrugging my shoulders and taking a ‘$h1t happens’ approach. If I were drawing the income already then my attitude would be determined by the safety margin I had.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 14th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Wizard wrote:

TJH

My bold.

If I sold a share and then 12 months later it was worth considerably more than the share I replaced it with and I was building a pot to draw an income from in the future I would definitely be disappointed. More importantly I would be looking for any clue I could find as to when not to do the same in the future, not shrugging my shoulders and taking a ‘$h1t happens’ approach. If I were drawing the income already then my attitude would be determined by the safety margin I had.

The catch is how useful such a clue might or not be for your future investments (presuming that is the purpose of discerning it in the first place) given you have effectively found it using hindsight. The catch is always that you are seeking reasons for a then known outcome whereas what you really needed to see is such reasons prior to said outcome, the post sale pricing has made you look but what you really needed to be able to do is spot the likely price movements in advance of them happening, a much more difficult proposition.

Personally I too have given up on the search for the Holy Grail of investment so go for buying a spread of investments and only change if individual holding get out of kilter or my macroeconomic gut feeling, feeling re sectors/geography get twitchy.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 14th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Wizard wrote:If I sold a share and then 12 months later it was worth considerably more than the share I replaced it with and I was building a pot to draw an income from in the future I would definitely be disappointed. More importantly I would be looking for any clue I could find as to when not to do the same in the future, not shrugging my shoulders and taking a ‘$h1t happens’ approach. If I were drawing the income already then my attitude would be determined by the safety margin I had.

Well, had I sold a cutter and replaced it with dividend paying shares, and if 12 months later my income was still higher than had I done nothing, then I would be very happy. If you are building a portfolio for future income, you will not have had the benefit of those lost dividends to reinvest, but you will have had those of the new shares, and will continue to do so, all being well.

Of the sold shares, only BT.A has risen appreciably above the price when the dividend was cancelled, and that is fortuitous. Without the stake building only BLND would have been worth more.

TJH

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 14th, 2021, 9:10 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Wizard wrote:If I sold a share and then 12 months later it was worth considerably more than the share I replaced it with and I was building a pot to draw an income from in the future I would definitely be disappointed. More importantly I would be looking for any clue I could find as to when not to do the same in the future, not shrugging my shoulders and taking a ‘$h1t happens’ approach. If I were drawing the income already then my attitude would be determined by the safety margin I had.

Well, had I sold a cutter and replaced it with dividend paying shares, and if 12 months later my income was still higher than had I done nothing, then I would be very happy. If you are building a portfolio for future income, you will not have had the benefit of those lost dividends to reinvest, but you will have had those of the new shares, and will continue to do so, all being well.

Of the sold shares, only BT.A has risen appreciably above the price when the dividend was cancelled, and that is fortuitous. Without the stake building only BLND would have been worth more.

TJH

So in your view, for a pot builder you think it better to have a smaller pot as long as you have more income that is not yet being drawn. Bizarre.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 14th, 2021, 9:12 pm

It is often said that BT is a pension fund with a hobby.

It has a market cap of £19 billion but a pension fund with liabilities of about £63 billion and assets of about £55 billion. There are 300,000 members of the pension scheme.

I'm surprised that the pension regulator allows any dividends to be paid and one might take the view that the regulator could stop them anytime.

Anyway the scale of pension risk means IMO it is very hard to judge the investment merits of the trading business and one should not assess the investment case without considering the pension risk.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 15th, 2021, 4:49 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:It is often said that BT is a pension fund with a hobby.

It has a market cap of £19 billion but a pension fund with liabilities of about £63 billion and assets of about £55 billion. There are 300,000 members of the pension scheme.

I'm surprised that the pension regulator allows any dividends to be paid and one might take the view that the regulator could stop them anytime.

Anyway the scale of pension risk means IMO it is very hard to judge the investment merits of the trading business and one should not assess the investment case without considering the pension risk.

Very much agree.
Took a punt on BT end of March 2020, on the basis that
- no-one was going to economise on broadband going into lockdown
- COVID might sort out some of their pension liability (I know, bit of a macabre perspective)
Has worked well so far.
Longer term, any increase in inflation/interest rates would also reduce their liability
Also, the 'hobby' business might have a significant opportunity in a favourable regulatory regime over the next decade or so for fibre roll out investment. Think Drahi coming onto the scene underlines this.
On the downside (in addition to the pension scheme), the combination of Virgin/O2 may create a competitor of scale for this core transmission business.
Wouldn't bet the house on it, but still think it has potential.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 15th, 2021, 5:08 pm

I should perhaps note that the BT pension risk is different from others in one way, that might lead the regulator to go a bit easier on the company.
In the even that BT went bust, HMG has underwritten the pension liability (a result of privatisation). I don't know if this covers the entire liability or only in respect of those people employed at the time of privatisation.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 15th, 2021, 5:16 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
I should perhaps note that the BT pension risk is different from others in one way, that might lead the regulator to go a bit easier on the company.

In the even that BT went bust, HMG has underwritten the pension liability (a result of privatisation).

I don't know if this covers the entire liability or only in respect of those people employed at the time of privatisation.

BT is one of my remaining single-share holdings in my income-portfolio, and I decided long ago that holding onto it was a simple bet on its survival as a going concern.

If and when the £8bn pension deficit is ever paid off, the regular long-term cash-flow that it's been used to having to pay it off with will have to start going somewhere else...

A fantastically simplistic view, I know, but as it's now a relatively rump holding then I'm happy to keep hold of it purely out of curiosities sake, if nothing else...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 15th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Wizard wrote:So in your view, for a pot builder you think it better to have a smaller pot as long as you have more income that is not yet being drawn. Bizarre.

Not at all. My view is that the objective is to build a growing income from dividends and to reinvest them until required.

Your view is that it is better to hold on to a non-payer that has fallen from its previous levels, which I do not understand.

TJH

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 15th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Longer term one thing that may help BT is the plan to phase out the copper wire network from 2026.
https://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/news ... ne-network

All those ancient wiring systems must be an increasingly expensive nightmare to maintain.

I presume everything goes VOIP after that, or perhaps 5g mobile?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 15th, 2021, 6:30 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Longer term one thing that may help BT is the plan to phase out the copper wire network from 2026.
https://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/news ... ne-network

All those ancient wiring systems must be an increasingly expensive nightmare to maintain.

I presume everything goes VOIP after that, or perhaps 5g mobile?

By the end of 2025, the current copper based PSTN network used for decades for calls and data services will be replaced fully by digital networks that carry data traffic using Internet Protocol (IP networks). In these new networks a telephone call is becoming just another data application using IP technology.

https://www.bt.com/about/all-ip

But I don't believe that all the copper lines will be replaced by then, it's simply too big a task. Although we have FTTP the blower still uses the copper wires. I presume that the analog to digital conversion will happen at the local cabinets but I'm not a telecoms expert.

RC

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » June 15th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Well BT have recently told me they are removing my analogue phone soon and my phone is going digital. Now I need to set up the new router they sent me a while ago, as that's what supports the digital voice service. I live in the middle of no where so it's not confined to towns and cities.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 15th, 2021, 8:18 pm

daveh wrote:Well BT have recently told me they are removing my analogue phone soon and my phone is going digital. Now I need to set up the new router they sent me a while ago, as that's what supports the digital voice service. I live in the middle of no where so it's not confined to towns and cities.

Dave,
as a matter of interest, what do they say about battery back up etc for the digital phone?
One of the interesting side points of the analogue phone service was the battery back up from the exchange, so if would even operate in a power cut.
tuk020

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”