Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Arbit, HYP and OEICS 2021 Q2

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Arbit, HYP and OEICS 2021 Q2

Postby Alaric » July 6th, 2021, 12:48 pm

NotSure wrote:But to answer your question, if looking for reasonable, steady income with minimal hassle, then the IT basket would be the clear winner.

What it might also suggest is that an investor not in ITs should emulate part of the IT proposition. That would be that not all the dividend income is withdrawn, rather some of it is reinvested with a view to selling or borrowing when there's a shortfall against the required withdrawal. That's not so easy for private investors as they have limited ability to borrow cheaply and run a risk of being forced sellers during a downturn. Last year being a practical example of the income risk. Investors using passive indexed funds would have the same problem as evidenced by the recent income performance of FTSE 100 ETFs.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » July 6th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
...............PS bear in mind the target for HYP is only this: a high and rising income with a chance of capital appreciation.

Thank you for the detail. Looking at all the graphs (income and capital), it does beg the question, if retiring today, and only concerned with income going forward, which portfolio would you prefer to buy? You could purchase considerably more HYP stock than IT/OEIC at this snapshot in time - maybe enough to close the income gap caused by Covid?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 6th, 2021, 1:11 pm

NotSure wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
...............PS bear in mind the target for HYP is only this: a high and rising income with a chance of capital appreciation.

Thank you for the detail. Looking at all the graphs (income and capital), it does beg the question, if retiring today, and only concerned with income going forward, which portfolio would you prefer to buy? You could purchase considerably more HYP stock than IT/OEIC at this snapshot in time - maybe enough to close the income gap caused by Covid?

Gosh, a hard question to answer. In my case, I would probably need to go with the HYP initially in order to receive enough income, i.e. higher yield. If I had much more capital, my choice would be to go "down yield" for I have observed over the years that the UK high yield sector average TR is usually lower than the all company sector.

As it is. I am happily producing enough income with my mixture. Having obtained enough income to live on, one can then be more relaxed about adding low yielders - for anything added is an extra.

I'm not one for asset harvesting to produce income, but I know it's a valid method and would not criticise anyone who went that way.
Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 24th, 2021, 5:56 pm

88V8 wrote:Your OEICs have always been a bit hoppity skip.
Does that bother you? They seem more yieldy...

So, for understanding, the entire portfolio is back-projected as if bought in 2011?

V8

Sorry for the late reply!
The portfolios are not back tested - they were really started back then or before, and unitised from 2010. So what you see is an actual result not an imaginary one (well, barring errors :roll: )

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 8:19 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Here is my latest comparison between my three income streams: HYP, income ITs and income OEICS.

Hi Arb,

I know I'm a little early, but can I please ask if you're planning to show a Q3 update for this comparison chart some time next month?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 21st, 2021, 8:49 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Here is my latest comparison between my three income streams: HYP, income ITs and income OEICS.

Hi Arb,

I know I'm a little early, but can I please ask if you're planning to show a Q3 update for this comparison chart some time next month?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes!! I can't wait myself to see the relative changes. It's early days yet, but it will be fascinating to see how the three streams conpare in the recovery.

Probably, some charts will appear in the first week of October.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Yes!! I can't wait myself to see the relative changes.

It's early days yet, but it will be fascinating to see how the three streams conpare in the recovery.

Probably, some charts will appear in the first week of October.

Great news - thanks.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”