Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HYP Concept waning?

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP Concept waning?

Postby moorfield » August 28th, 2021, 10:30 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Oh ye of little faith.

The fundamental premises of HYP investing were:

1. Equal weighting at the outset

2. Yields higher than the FTSE100

3. Diversification across sectors.

TJH you've missed arguably the most important premise, which in my view determines essentially what is or isn't acceptable HYP practice in the other place:

4. Long Term Buy and Hold

For example, a couple years ago a regular contributor there journalled their sale, repurchase, and resale (or it may have been purchase, sale, and repurchase) of a whole Aviva holding all in the space of six to nine months iirc, which is testing the faith of even the lapsed somewhat. So I was gobsmacked to read recently that same contributor was contemplating buying an Aviva holding again - now, in the context of HYP investing and practice that would be stretching credulity more than black holes stretch spacetime.

Everyone sells and buys in their HYPs to some extent, that is a given I think, but how much is too much? Earlier this year I posted up a thread on portfolio churn, which I think may be the best metric available to measure "LTBH-ness". Until we can collect more data next year, less skewed by the pandemic perhaps, I think the de facto level initially established was roughly 10%. (That contributor, incidentally, seemingly declined or ignored my invitation to present their own number.)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 28th, 2021, 11:12 pm

moorfield wrote:TJH you've missed arguably the most important premise, which in my view determines essentially what is or isn't acceptable HYP practice in the other place:

For example, a couple years ago a regular contributor there journalled their sale, repurchase, and resale (or it may have been purchase, sale, and repurchase) of a whole Aviva holding all in the space of six to nine months iirc, which is testing the faith of even the lapsed somewhat. So I was gobsmacked to read recently that same contributor was contemplating buying an Aviva holding again - now, in the context of HYP investing and practice that would be stretching credulity more than black holes stretch spacetime.

Everyone sells and buys in their HYPs to some extent, that is a given I think, but how much is too much? Earlier this year I posted up a thread on portfolio churn, which I think may be the best metric available to measure "LTBH-ness". Until we can collect more data next year, less skewed by the pandemic perhaps, I think the de facto level initially established was roughly 10%. (That contributor, incidentally, seemingly declined or ignored my invitation to present their own number.)

I agree completely, although the duration is arguable. Certainly I buy with the intention of holding the stock for as long as it meets my needs. I've stated many times the conditions for me to dispose of a holding completely. One of those is for the yield to fall below half that of the FTSE100 index. That includes ceasing to pay dividends. An example is Indivior, which paid a reasonable yield for a year after its demerger from the then RB. of 7.8%, then stopped paying dividends altogether. I gave them a couple more years, but then sold out entirely. My rate of return was over 21% because of the capitalgain, before the share price collapsed.

Carillion is the arch example, doing as it did an emulation of the oozlum bird, so giving holders no option but to eliminate it from their portfolios. Looking at the shares which I no longer hold, the average duration of holding was just below 8 years and the maximum about 38 years. I reckon that qualifies as LTBH. The shortest was 10 days for Syngenta, demerged from AZN in 2000, and I only got 5 shares, so decided to let them go.

TJH

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 28th, 2021, 11:13 pm

TUK020 wrote:A different question: If one followed the the 3 way split of HYP/BRK/FT250, what simple/mechanical/low cost way of determining how to pull income from this portfolio would you propose that would involve the minimum of attention or stress from the portfolio manager?

AJC5001 wrote:Given that the HYP you are using was the original HYP1 that Pyad started, and the dividends were assumed to be extracted from the portfolio as they arose, I would be grateful if you could explain what basis for reinvestment you are assuming in any of your comparisons.

BRK pays no dividends, a accumulation FTSE 250 fund can be held. When so then in drawdown even if HYP1 were paying 6% yield that's 2% or less of the whole portfolio value i.e. likely you'd also be selling some shares to service SWR income, typically from whatever is the relative highest valued.

The method I use is to draw SWR monthly, login a week or so before end of month and sell enough shares from the highest valued holding to cover that months 'wage' and then T+3 login again to transfer the sale proceeds to my spending/regular account. I'm with ii so that monthly sell trade is 'free'. None of my holdings pay dividends, if they did then I'd just revise the size of the sell market order to discount any dividends that had dropped into the account.

Non rebalanced BRK/FT250/HYP1 (capital only, spending dividends) had near the same total return as HYP1 alone with dividends accumulated. That would however have drifted to being around 42% in each of BRK and FT250, 16% in HYP1 if nothing were being drawn from either BRK or FT250, so in practice you might have opted to 'rebalance' at some points (or maybe not).

If you consider FT100 to be a form of global exc. US type holding, 50/50 with US (BRK) is a World type proxy. Adding in FT250 is small cap in US scale and is more domestic like (so somewhat 33/67 UK/World), but where much the fees/costs/withholding taxes are reduced. Something like this comparison.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 29th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Over on the now locked thread on HYP Practical, there was a final post that asked this question, but Terry (TJH) has quite rightly asked that any further discussion around it should be made here on the High Yield Shares & Strategies board -

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
vrdiver wrote:
The fact that I can now build on that knowledge and do a little more than pure HYP is, in my mind, something to thank HYP for, rather than condemn or besmirch it

Absolutely this...

Pyad turned a financial light on for me, which I'll always be grateful for.

Perhaps that is really the perennial problem with [HYP Practical] as some find it.

It and some of its proponents are quick to suffocate and resist the development of many interesting discussions [there] as "not HYP". Some even use stronger language such as "bile".

Preference shares.
International shares.
Regular selling and buying and selling again, for no apparent reason other than "news" or "feel".

Not according to the guidelines, and yet many [there] call that "HYP" anyway (viz. Padders72).

So why not a change of tack and a fresh reboot of [that] place?

Allow the [HYP] guidelines to evolve and build too and capture that knowledge as it is contributed and debated [there], settled by communal polls perhaps.

Pyad Stephen Bland switched on the HYP light (and incidentally he is not credited or namechecked for that in LF's guidelines), but this is a place that can build on that, and could be better for it I think.

Source - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30981&start=60#p438168

Whilst I've got some sympathies with your initial views moorfield, it's not quite clear what good you think might even come from your suggested 'fresh re-boot of HYP Practical', and why you think there's actually any need for one in the first place...

If there were a couple of disco's in town, and I'd nipped in one and disliked the music being played there, and perhaps even disliked the way a few of them danced, but there were alternative discos to go to where I could ask for any music I wanted, and to dance the way I wanted, I'm really not sure that I'd do too much campaigning to get that first disco shut down, or to petition to force a change in music that was played - I'd simply go elsewhere and enjoy myself at the other disco....

So the question might be - why is HYP Practical as it currently stands such an existential issue that means it needs to 'change tack'?

I totally get your points about the HYP Practical music, and we'll clearly never get on with every other dancer on that particular dance-floor, but when there's other open discos where you can play whatever music you like, I honestly can't quite understand why there'd be a lot of negative energy spent on trying to force that particular disco to change....

There's a High Yield Shares & Strategies board here where you can propose and discuss any broader, yield-based income strategy that you like, so it really does surprise me that there might be such a 'drive' to force others to change 'their music' somewhere else...

Why not just let them get on with it, and concentrate on how you prefer to do things elsewhere?

I'm trying to be non-judgemental and avoid any real criticism with the above, as I'm genuinely interested in your desire to force change on others, when they're clearly happy to be 'doing their thing', and (importantly..) there's clearly opportunities elsewhere for you to 'do your thing' - so just what is it about the very existence of that particular disco that continues to drown out the type of music you prefer listening to?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 29th, 2021, 9:51 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The HYP Concept has not waned, but people's perceptions and experiences lead them to drift away. It is only natural. TJH

I've had a HYP since the late 90s and all my income deriving from one for 12 odd years and counting. I followed all the discussion including Pyads on TMF 10-20 years ago, which followed similar earlier over on TMF.com in the 90s, and that was based on some big-name investment guru whose name I've forgotten from the 50/60s.

Invest wisely and forget and meanwhile get on with other things. Maybe that's why people who follow the approach aren't inclined to keep on justifying it to others... ?

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 29th, 2021, 10:23 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:The HYP Concept has not waned, but people's perceptions and experiences lead them to drift away. It is only natural. TJH

I've had a HYP since the late 90s and all my income deriving from one for 12 odd years and counting. I followed all the discussion including Pyads on TMF 10-20 years ago, which followed similar earlier over on TMF.com in the 90s, and that was based on some big-name investment guru whose name I've forgotten from the 50/60s.

Invest wisely and forget and meanwhile get on with other things. Maybe that's why people who follow the approach aren't inclined to keep on justifying it to others... ?

David Dreman?

That's where I first heard of something similar.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 29th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Jim Slater..

https://moneyweek.com/419738/stephen-bl ... jim-slater

Interview with Stephen Bland ( "pyad")..

Hyp and the "Zulu Warrior "
viewtopic.php?p=28358#p28358

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 29th, 2021, 11:17 pm

1nvest wrote:
TUK020 wrote:A different question: If one followed the the 3 way split of HYP/BRK/FT250, what simple/mechanical/low cost way of determining how to pull income from this portfolio would you propose that would involve the minimum of attention or stress from the portfolio manager?

AJC5001 wrote:Given that the HYP you are using was the original HYP1 that Pyad started, and the dividends were assumed to be extracted from the portfolio as they arose, I would be grateful if you could explain what basis for reinvestment you are assuming in any of your comparisons.

BRK pays no dividends, a accumulation FTSE 250 fund can be held. When so then in drawdown even if HYP1 were paying 6% yield that's 2% or less of the whole portfolio value i.e. likely you'd also be selling some shares to service SWR income, typically from whatever is the relative highest valued.

The method I use is to draw SWR monthly, login a week or so before end of month and sell enough shares from the highest valued holding to cover that months 'wage' and then T+3 login again to transfer the sale proceeds to my spending/regular account. I'm with ii so that monthly sell trade is 'free'. None of my holdings pay dividends, if they did then I'd just revise the size of the sell market order to discount any dividends that had dropped into the account.

Non rebalanced BRK/FT250/HYP1 (capital only, spending dividends) had near the same total return as HYP1 alone with dividends accumulated. That would however have drifted to being around 42% in each of BRK and FT250, 16% in HYP1 if nothing were being drawn from either BRK or FT250, so in practice you might have opted to 'rebalance' at some points (or maybe not).

If you consider FT100 to be a form of global exc. US type holding, 50/50 with US (BRK) is a World type proxy. Adding in FT250 is small cap in US scale and is more domestic like (so somewhat 33/67 UK/World), but where much the fees/costs/withholding taxes are reduced. Something like this comparison.

What you do may be fine whilst you are in good nick as far as the brain is concerned and you have the interest but I can assure you that it is a lot easier if all you need to do is transfer some naturally arising income (aka 'dividends') to your bank account or even better get the platform to do it for you. Then you do not have to risk selling into weakness now and again and you have no need to go through the selling and transfer exercise every month.

Fundamentally it all comes down to total return (obviously, the aggregate of dividends plus capital gain/loss) You appear to be at one end of the spectrum; I am more or less at the other. I suspect that I have less admin than you do.

Dod

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » August 30th, 2021, 12:29 am

Where HYP1 got into problems were the divergence from equal weighting and the perpetuation of that after take-overs, by reinvesting all the proceeds into a single share. I had been following these principles in essence since I began a PEP in 1987, and before that to some extent. When one share got to 16% of a 16 share portfolio in 1997, I realised that this was not a sensible situation, and with another close on its heels, I made the decision in March that 10% was a prudent maximum weight for any one holding. Consequently Lloyds TSB and Zeneca were both trimmed back to below that level. Then things remained on a fairly steady keel until December 1999, at the height of the dot-com boom, when Marconi, British Telecom and Prudential all broke through my self-imposed weight limit. Marconi did it again in September 2000 and Whitbread saved itself in 2001 by demerging Fairbar, its pub estate. In general the limit has served me well to the present day, changing first to twice the median and then to 1.5 times the median holding weight.

In my view, if you ignore the second principle, this is a sensible formula for investing any which way. For private investors, equal weighting within limits is the only practical approach. tracker funds have to follow market weightings to be trackers. We are not seeking to be trackers, but to derive benefits from our investing, and hopefully to do at least as well as that index which is closest to our style of investing. If we are interested in deriving income, then the second principle has merit. If you have some other objective, then it may not. You may find that your objective is better served by investing in one or more ITs, or other collective investments. You may be a gambler with a yen for farm bets and put it all in a mining share from some obscure country. The words Total Return crept in higher up, and for many people this is a desirable objective, which may be obtained at times from a high income approach, but not in the last few years.

People's interests vary with time, and the OP has indicated that he feels less enchanted with the HYP approach. As we get older, the attraction of actively managing a portfolio can be lessened, and this is natural. I have contemplated a move into ITs myself, but see no reason to do so at the moment. That could change overnight and whether I would be capable of making the move is open to question. It would not be a disaster if I did not, but it would be earier for my heirs and successors.

The HYP Concept has not waned, but people's perceptions and experiences lead them to drift away. It is only natural.

TJH

My bold.

Dod did not say the HYP concept was waning, what he said was...

Dod101 wrote:...the whole hearted dedication to the original HYP concept is waning...

So not the concept, but the dedication to the original concept. The evidence of the approaches discussed on HYP Practical clearly suggest he is right.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2021, 12:59 am

Wizard wrote:

Where HYP1 got into problems were the divergence from equal weighting and the perpetuation of that after take-overs, by reinvesting all the proceeds into a single share. I had been following these principles in essence since I began a PEP in 1987, and before that to some extent. When one share got to 16% of a 16 share portfolio in 1997, I realised that this was not a sensible situation, and with another close on its heels, I made the decision in March that 10% was a prudent maximum weight for any one holding. Consequently Lloyds TSB and Zeneca were both trimmed back to below that level. Then things remained on a fairly steady keel until December 1999, at the height of the dot-com boom, when Marconi, British Telecom and Prudential all broke through my self-imposed weight limit. Marconi did it again in September 2000 and Whitbread saved itself in 2001 by demerging Fairbar, its pub estate. In general the limit has served me well to the present day, changing first to twice the median and then to 1.5 times the median holding weight.

In my view, if you ignore the second principle, this is a sensible formula for investing any which way. For private investors, equal weighting within limits is the only practical approach. tracker funds have to follow market weightings to be trackers. We are not seeking to be trackers, but to derive benefits from our investing, and hopefully to do at least as well as that index which is closest to our style of investing. If we are interested in deriving income, then the second principle has merit. If you have some other objective, then it may not. You may find that your objective is better served by investing in one or more ITs, or other collective investments. You may be a gambler with a yen for farm bets and put it all in a mining share from some obscure country. The words Total Return crept in higher up, and for many people this is a desirable objective, which may be obtained at times from a high income approach, but not in the last few years.

People's interests vary with time, and the OP has indicated that he feels less enchanted with the HYP approach. As we get older, the attraction of actively managing a portfolio can be lessened, and this is natural. I have contemplated a move into ITs myself, but see no reason to do so at the moment. That could change overnight and whether I would be capable of making the move is open to question. It would not be a disaster if I did not, but it would be earier for my heirs and successors.

The HYP Concept has not waned, but people's perceptions and experiences lead them to drift away. It is only natural.

TJH

My bold.

Dod did not say the HYP concept was waning, what he said was...

Dod101 wrote:...the whole hearted dedication to the original HYP concept is waning...

So not the concept, but the dedication to the original concept. The evidence of the approaches discussed on HYP Practical clearly suggest he is right.

Thank you and like many great philosophers, I tend to get my best thoughts at night and this one I certainly believe in. I still think that as a concept, the HYP idea has a lot going for it. I could develop that but being UK based think it can wait for a better time.

Dod

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » August 30th, 2021, 10:21 am

DiamondEcho wrote:

Benjamin Graham?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 30th, 2021, 11:22 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
Invest wisely and forget and meanwhile get on with other things.

Maybe that's why people who follow the approach aren't inclined to keep on justifying it to others... ?

I think there's definitely something in that, in the sense that the best adverts for a largely hands-off, low-maintenance income-strategy are likely to be those investors for whom it's simply working for in the background whilst they get on with other things...

The flip-side of that, of course, is that those vociferous HYP advocates who make what's supposed to be a simple strategy look so damned complicated and fussy might actually put off anyone who might actually show an interest in it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 30th, 2021, 11:57 am

Dod101 wrote:
1nvest wrote:

What you do may be fine whilst you are in good nick as far as the brain is concerned and you have the interest but I can assure you that it is a lot easier if all you need to do is transfer some naturally arising income (aka 'dividends') to your bank account or even better get the platform to do it for you. Then you do not have to risk selling into weakness now and again and you have no need to go through the selling and transfer exercise every month.

Fundamentally it all comes down to total return (obviously, the aggregate of dividends plus capital gain/loss) You appear to be at one end of the spectrum; I am more or less at the other. I suspect that I have less admin than you do.

Dod

I actually draw a relatively low 'wage' (ongoing SWR percentage amount is less than the suggested 4% rule-of-thumb SWR), and not always the same each month, more a amount in reflection of anticipated spending that month (or rather a amount that pays off the current months credit cards amounts plus some spending/cash for the month). If a unexpected higher cost occurs then cash is just T+3 days away. With dividends the cash flow would be problematic, not enough some months, too much in others, and possible dividend cuts ...etc. I guess OK if dividends were considerably more than enough, 5% when spending just 2% and the surplus cash accumulated was being left to be periodically reinvested, perhaps once yearly or whatever (0.5% stamp + trade cost involved to do so).

In practice I actually trade relatively little and otherwise would just log in once/month anyway to primarily check nothing odd had occurred with the account. The addition of a single sell trade action on top is minor. And that keeps more of capital working. No need for 10% of capital being in 'cash', or dividends having been declared/deducted but in transit to being paid after 30/whatever days (time between ex-div and pay dates).

Fundamentally it all comes down to total return

Total return wise my way is the better. Other people pay my 'dividends' via buying shares at perhaps 2 times book value whilst the firm sees no decline in its book value, rather than the firms paying the dividend and seeing their book value reduced by that amount. Where the 'dividend' matches my preferred timing and amount. And avoids having to keep a separate cash pot, 90/10 for instance will tend to lag 100/0. There's also none of the 30 day lag between ex-div and pay dates during which time that capital is in other peoples pockets.

That said, I am considering moving into a HYP, swapping out FT250 index ETF for a HYP1 buy and hold style due to possible forward time issues with ETF's viewtopic.php?f=49&p=438370#p438370 As part of a third each BRK/HYP1/gold type asset allocation the third in HYP1 style would be too little dividends such that some share selling would still generally be required. The differences I see in historic total returns are just 'noise'

I used to have concerns with its non-tinkered approach, opining that led to concentration risk but more recently opine that isn't a issue, could be left for decades as-is other than enforced actions (takeovers/whatever). I see it more a case of 15 equal weighted diversity across different sectors transitions to being more like holding diversity of 4 across different sectors (best performers) along with a 5th set of a bunch of other sectors (collective laggards) after a 20 odd year transition period. That's still 'diverse enough'.

There's also some appeal in that when others are dumping the concept that's suggestive of potential 'value'.

I did look at Investment Trusts but came to the conclusion that any alpha add was generally retained by the managers. Me taking on additional risk for their benefit. Whether to hold IT's or not isn't a issue when holding a FT250 tracker as the FTSE 250 index includes around 20% of its components being IT's.

With regard to 'selling when down' well that's what diversification offsets. One down less than others, or even one up as others are down, and when selling some of the highest valued asset to provide income you're still reducing relatively high

In that image non rebalanced lagged rebalanced as it did become too tilted, gold rose strongly compared to the others and then endured a sizeable hit. So whilst non rebalancing within the HYP1 might be considered as OK across the broader portfolio some rebalancing at times appears to be appropriate when the weightings of the individual holdings drift too far (2011 and gold had risen to being 60% of the total portfolio weight).

I consider FT100 to be a proxy for world exc. US, so when US is around 50% of world 50/50 FT100/US stock is a proxy for World. £, $ and global currencies, 67/33 stock/commodity top level diversification historically has been 'diverse enough'.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 30th, 2021, 12:13 pm

I see I did make some transposition errors in my earlier viewtopic.php?p=438047#p438047 post.

Easier to correct for that by just posting the running income and capital values for the HYP1 November based years ...

Nov	Income	Capital
2000 75000
2001 3451 75414
2002 3474 66180
2003 3197 72177
2004 3205 80450
2005 3546 98367
2006 4131 127330
2007 4452 138966
2008 5040 80000
2009 3187 97485
2010 3297 113893
2011 3843 114218
2012 4289 124405
2013 5828 142998
2014 5601 150813
2015 6093 149974
2016 6124 153701
2017 7327 172485
2018 8882 155583
2019 10557 159682
2020 5533 148627

From which total returns can be calculated as

( current year income figure + capital figure - prior year capital figure ) / prior year capital figure. So for instance 2001 total return =

( 3451 + 75414 - 75000 ) / 75000 = 0.515 (so 5.15% 2001 year total return gain).

Mathematically those yearly total return gains might be compounded, however that does assume that dividends from each of the holdings were being reinvested back into the same stock, which likely in the real world wouldn't be the case and instead for accumulation dividends might be grouped and perhaps invested in another new stock to add to the set or into laggards, whatever ... that considerably complicates calculating a total return measure. The mathematical case, albeit not a scientifically accurate figure for actual real world cases, is more middle road average and as such a reasonable guide.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble to post what you have 1nvest. I will take a closer look when I have a bit more time. I am not all that far away from your practice in that I too do not extract a regular amount each month but simply as and when required. I have surplus income over the course of a year so have no need to touch capital. The surplus tends to be given to charity at around Christmas and that charity is usually a mix of registered charities and grandchildren! Sometimes with a bit of reinvestment.

I am not a dedicated HYPer but am mostly what I would call an income investor with a mixture of assets.

Dod

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » August 30th, 2021, 12:51 pm

1nvest wrote:I did look at Investment Trusts but came to the conclusion that any alpha add was generally retained by the managers. Me taking on additional risk for their benefit.

You said that in a previous post also. (Serious question) Can you explain how the alpha is generally retained by the managers? (If it doesn't get too off topic)

Thanks in advance.

torata

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm

moorfield wrote:

TJH you've missed arguably the most important premise, which in my view determines essentially what is or isn't acceptable HYP practice in the other place:

Pyad's original articles did say that IF you opined that you could rotate holdings into better choices over time then that was acceptable but that in his view more often for many that would lag compared to the simplicity of buy and hold. Primary was diversification equally across sectors, even at the expense of yield. Dividend yield as the selection criteria was the first layer of filtering 'value', to be followed up with further validation that the dividends looked stable/reliable.

Also fundamental was that you retained control-of/access-to the capital that might otherwise be lost if you bought a annuity. A factor there however is that dividends aren't anywhere near as consistent/reliable as the income from a annuity. Noteworthy is that Barclays Equity Gilt Study data does indicate that both dividends and capital values in real (after inflation) terms for the broader UK stock/index have seen massive declines historically, 80% lower type levels after two decades or so. Can work very well, more often works OK, except when it doesn't. He did emphasise that you had to be willing-to/accepting-of the risks.

Whilst dividend yield might be utilised as a relative valuation measure in the stock selection process, dividends are not as reliable as other alternative forms of income production such as applying a SWR. SWR identifies the worst case historic sustainable income/withdrawal rate (and the probabilities based on such), such that if forward time is anywhere near within historic extremes that include some pretty wild times then there's reasonable prospect of 'success' however that might be measured. A risk with HYP1 and spend dividends type approach is that directs towards a higher rate of withdrawal than what SWR methods might suggest. Higher yield does not mean a higher SWR is supported as that would be the same as saying high yield equated to a higher total return which it doesn't. As such the HYP1 as defined is higher risk and where that risk might not be obvious until after its too late. One of the ways to reduce that risk is to lower the amount being drawn, paramount to lowering the SWR from being the above average dividend yield figure (don't spend all of dividends) to a lower figure/value. Lowering SWR, having more than enough capital is the best way to reduce risk, but obviously for many that is not a easy option. Which means that when not spending all of dividends you're into the realm of reinvesting some, which adds complexities above and beyond the HYP1 style method as defined.

He did also say that HYP1 style was a guideline and that each individual might opt to do things their own particular way. A template rather than hard rules. To me the HYP1 style as defined has flaws, but that are relatively easily fixed. As such the 'HYP Concept Warning' is valid IMO.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 30th, 2021, 12:58 pm

1nvest wrote:
As such the 'HYP Concept Warning' is valid IMO.

What warning?

Itsallaguess

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » August 30th, 2021, 1:06 pm

……takes me back to the halcyon days of Luniversal’s zones, with its mezzanine and danger/Red etc. etc. From a few years distance now, I think he knew what he was talking about more than he was given credit for, sometimes.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 30th, 2021, 1:16 pm

torata wrote:
1nvest wrote:I did look at Investment Trusts but came to the conclusion that any alpha add was generally retained by the managers. Me taking on additional risk for their benefit.

You said that in a previous post also. (Serious question) Can you explain how the alpha is generally retained by the managers? (If it doesn't get too off topic)

Thanks in advance.

torata

Broadly, such as comparing the FT250 standard index that includes IT's to FT250 excluding IT's and there's no evidence that the inclusion of IT's consistently relatively outperformed. In the individual case the fees levied by IT's can be considerable and the gains achieved again aren't consistently better by enough to offset those fees. Waxes and wanes so very subjective over choice of samples and periods, but broadly washes and where you have additional counter party risks/factors. Uncompensated risk.

Useful in the sense that IT's might provide exposure to certain areas where otherwise that might not be available or prohibitive (costs/fees to gain exposure).

MRC Mercantile for instance is a FT250 like IT, where their 'selective skills' and option to dial up/down leverage etc resulted in comparative outcomes of (MRC is the darker blue line).

Just a non-specific/arbitrary/random choice

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”