Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYP Concept waning?

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: HYP Concept waning?

Postby Itsallaguess » September 1st, 2021, 8:14 pm

JohnnyCyclops wrote:
Are there faster/other ways to accumulate? Probably.

Indeed, the bulk of our investments are in employer pensions schemes or property doing just that (hopefully!).

BUT I'm now confident to take some of those pension funds on retirement and boost the HYP (with a bit more active management!) into an income phase as an alternative to an annuity. I don't think I could say that truthfully if I'd not been exploring/practising over the last decade.

Then someone comes along to try to convince you that this 'thing' you're doing, that you're actually happy with and which is delivering to your needs, and which is giving you the real confidence you need to make big life decisions - well, it shouldn't be, so you should really think about stopping doing it and doing something else instead....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 1st, 2021, 8:18 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
JohnnyCyclops wrote:

Indeed, the bulk of our investments are in employer pensions schemes or property doing just that (hopefully!).

BUT I'm now confident to take some of those pension funds on retirement and boost the HYP (with a bit more active management!) into an income phase as an alternative to an annuity. I don't think I could say that truthfully if I'd not been exploring/practising over the last decade.

Then someone comes along to try to convince you that this 'thing' you're doing, that you're actually happy with and which is delivering to your needs, and which is giving you the real confidence you need to make big life decisions - well, it shouldn't be, so you should really think about stopping doing it and doing something else instead....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Who did that?

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » September 1st, 2021, 8:24 pm

Wizard wrote:My personal view, and this is not an attack on HYP, is that there is very little of substance left to say. A series of posts saying ‘here is my HYP as it stands now’, ‘here is what I just top sliced’, ‘here is what I just topped up’ will after a time fail to inspire much response and I suspect that time has arrived. To me it just seems that it is a subject area where pretty much anything of interest has been said. What might increase discussion again would be a big external ‘shock’ such as the number of dividend cuts due to COVID.

I'd concur to a point. By pushing the debate of "to HYP or not" to the side, it leaves what for a discussion forum? Current HYPable stocks? Stocks falling into or out of HYP range, recent dividend payments, flagging special dividends, companies delisting or crashing, advise for newbies, meta-data sets/analysis, etc. That would be common to most of TLF investing style boards - but going by volume of posts, Technical Analysis and Growth Investing (argulably sitting par with HYP/income/yield investing) both have fewer than 1000 posts. There's been no busier board than HYP-P (whether that's a positive thing is another matter! - and volume may not equal quality).

But overall, what is left to say? I stayed away from TLF two or three years, having been an active member of TMF/TLF boards. I come back and these meta-conversations continue to rumble.

Back to the OP. Is dedication to the original HYP concept waning? Not here. I just post/write about it far less, and was even 'asleep at the HYP wheel' for three years and nothing much bad happened to our HYP (other than an accumulation of dividend cash and forced sale monies kicking around - looked at one way, finding a pot of money should not be a 'bad thing'!).

Maybe I'll stick around this time, but I suspect it's a passing visit, while I rebalance the HYP, invest the accumulated cash, and 'fall asleep' again (hopefully not three years again!). I've got a lot of other things going on in life now to be overly focused on investing strategies or execution.

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » September 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Maybe I should just pay an investment manager to do it all for me. I suppose I'd have to pick one first... or a portfolio of them (say... 15... for diversity).

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 1st, 2021, 8:55 pm

JohnnyCyclops wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. That's the journey I've been on. Back in 2011, coming to direct-investing in mid-life, I fooled around with 'trading', index ETFs, value investing, 'dogs of the FT100', etc. I recall buying and selling a FTSE100 ETF like I was a City trader :-) Did the same with a gold ETF next. Never made much; plus too much 'stress' monitoring stocks closely during the work day.

Then I found HYP and it just made sense. In its basic approach it was straightforward. Decisions and actions were played out over weeks/months, not hours/minutes. I've YET to actively sell a stock (after a decade!) other than Verizon shares from Vodafone, and I can't now recall what South32 did out of BHP Billiton. Some may argue we SHOULD have sold one or two, seeing the current state of the HYP. Yes, I'd look at the portfolio value, and hope to see it increase, but didn't overly sweat stock price drops (and often saw as a chance to 'top-up' more, cheaper). But rather I focused on the increasing income stream from dividends (being reinvested).

I'm in the IAAG mould - reinvesting dividends during the current accumulation phase, but effectively testing for myself if HYP works for me (I was chastised once or twice over on HYP-P for phrasing it that way in annual HYP reviews I'd post! :-) ). It was possible HYP simply didn't work; or worked for others by not for me (skill/temperament/risk appetite).

Are there faster/other ways to accumulate? Probably. Indeed, the bulk of our investments are in employer pensions schemes or property doing just that (hopefully!). BUT I'm now confident to take some of those pension funds on retirement and boost the HYP (with a bit more active management!) into an income phase as an alternative to an annuity. I don't think I could say that truthfully if I'd not been exploring/practicing over the last decade.

Meanwhile, over in a very small SIPP, I saw a 90% drop on a 'clever' Biotech play I bought. Fortunately, not a 'farm' bet. Less than a year's dividend income in HYP terms.

HYP may well have made sense following that journey. But so would have many of the constructable rules based long term buy and hold strategy. Instead of limiting yourself to a small portfolio of high yielding large UK shares, you could have had similar (possibly better, possibly worse) portfolio results if you had a rules based strategy that said select then leave alone, but whose rules were on low yield, non-UK stocks, or a tracker.

Your positive feeling on the strategy may well have been simply as a result of stopping that "fooling around", "trading" "fishing in the value pool" trying to catch the bottom of the "dogs". HYP provides many of those attributes, but so do many other strategies. especially if you don't need immediate income, limiting a long term buy and hold strategy to a niche smaller pool makes little sense and exposes you to the potential volatility of events (overly) affecting that particular niche.

I would never HYP, (or High Yield Strategy as defined here - but define yield as company level ROCE and it's another ball park) but I have no problem buying as investments some of the shares that qualify in that strategy.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » September 1st, 2021, 9:02 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Wizard wrote:PS I do find likening other contributors to the Taliban in rather bad taste. Would you like being labelled as ISIS-HYP? Didn’t think so.

Perhaps "Continuity HYP" and "Provisional HYP" would be better.

TJH

Splitters. :D

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » September 1st, 2021, 9:14 pm

dealtn wrote:
JohnnyCyclops wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. That's the journey I've been on. Back in 2011, coming to direct-investing in mid-life, I fooled around with 'trading', index ETFs, value investing, 'dogs of the FT100', etc. I recall buying and selling a FTSE100 ETF like I was a City trader :-) Did the same with a gold ETF next. Never made much; plus too much 'stress' monitoring stocks closely during the work day.

Then I found HYP and it just made sense. In its basic approach it was straightforward. Decisions and actions were played out over weeks/months, not hours/minutes. I've YET to actively sell a stock (after a decade!) other than Verizon shares from Vodafone, and I can't now recall what South32 did out of BHP Billiton. Some may argue we SHOULD have sold one or two, seeing the current state of the HYP. Yes, I'd look at the portfolio value, and hope to see it increase, but didn't overly sweat stock price drops (and often saw as a chance to 'top-up' more, cheaper). But rather I focused on the increasing income stream from dividends (being reinvested).

I'm in the IAAG mould - reinvesting dividends during the current accumulation phase, but effectively testing for myself if HYP works for me (I was chastised once or twice over on HYP-P for phrasing it that way in annual HYP reviews I'd post! :-) ). It was possible HYP simply didn't work; or worked for others by not for me (skill/temperament/risk appetite).

Are there faster/other ways to accumulate? Probably. Indeed, the bulk of our investments are in employer pensions schemes or property doing just that (hopefully!). BUT I'm now confident to take some of those pension funds on retirement and boost the HYP (with a bit more active management!) into an income phase as an alternative to an annuity. I don't think I could say that truthfully if I'd not been exploring/practicing over the last decade.

Meanwhile, over in a very small SIPP, I saw a 90% drop on a 'clever' Biotech play I bought. Fortunately, not a 'farm' bet. Less than a year's dividend income in HYP terms.

HYP may well have made sense following that journey. But so would have many of the constructable rules based long term buy and hold strategy. Instead of limiting yourself to a small portfolio of high yielding large UK shares, you could have had similar (possibly better, possibly worse) portfolio results if you had a rules based strategy that said select then leave alone, but whose rules were on low yield, non-UK stocks, or a tracker.

Your positive feeling on the strategy may well have been simply as a result of stopping that "fooling around", "trading" "fishing in the value pool" trying to catch the bottom of the "dogs". HYP provides many of those attributes, but so do many other strategies. especially if you don't need immediate income, limiting a long term buy and hold strategy to a niche smaller pool makes little sense and exposes you to the potential volatility of events (overly) affecting that particular niche.

I would never HYP, (or High Yield Strategy as defined here - but define yield as company level ROCE and it's another ball park) but I have no problem buying as investments some of the shares that qualify in that strategy.

Agreed, I got to the point of realising that my father's approach of buy something, do not meddle, wait it out ,works- whilst I like dividends I now prefer IT dividends, as my stock picking skills are okay but not consistent I now buy market sectors, I then mainly ignore them and have found that my occasional meddling has tended to be to my detriment (slicing parts of Scottish Mortgage because I was too heavy in it was in hindsight wrong).

I just buy things which as part of an overall portfolio targets 3-4% and do not get precious if individual holdings are low or high yield providing the overall portfolio manages somewhere in the 3-4% range. Happy, comfortable, relaxed.

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » September 1st, 2021, 10:32 pm

dealtn wrote:HYP may well have made sense following that journey. But so would have many of the constructable rules based long term buy and hold strategy. Instead of limiting yourself to a small portfolio of high yielding large UK shares, you could have had similar (possibly better, possibly worse) portfolio results if you had a rules based strategy that said select then leave alone, but whose rules were on low yield, non-UK stocks, or a tracker.

I can't fault the underlying sentiment, but as an amateur investor with limited time for this, I can't recall coming across many other 'constructable rules' for portfolio building. I did find a couple of books along the way, recommending this or that, and tried one (small scale) in my SIPP for a bit of exploratory fun, but it was similar to HYP, but with more fiddling (a forced annual rebalance in a portfolio of 15 stocks, with perhaps 3-5 moving out and 3-5 moving in - just eroding value in fees, certainly at my 'practice' holding levels).

I DID come across HYP at the right time for me. Looked at another way (and this is possible a mode of thinking better suited to investing in the second half of the 20th century), I've got a broad range of large capitalised businesses, and many household names - Vodafone, HSBC, GSK, Unilever, BAE, AZ, BT, Shell, Tesco, etc. On that latter one, I used to think, passing a Tesco lorry on the motorway (back when HGVs were a 'thing' :-) ) that as a part owner in the business I probably owned its back axle (please don't tell me it was probably leased!). And, despite being listed in London, many trade globally. The HYP is probably ~5% of our non-property wealth and ~10% of equity wealth - not the be all and end all, but a useful and meaningful experience over the last decade. I sleep easy with it. I try and avoid putting all my lemons in one basket.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 1st, 2021, 10:37 pm

JohnnyCyclops wrote:The HYP is probably ~5% of our non-property wealth and ~10% of equity wealth - not the be all and end all, but a useful and meaningful experience over the last decade. I sleep easy with it. I try and avoid putting all my lemons in one basket.

All of which sounds eminently sensible. Yet, the impression I get from this site, and certain boards in particular, some defend the strategy as if it were the be all and end all, of their particular investment strategy. The impression is therefore that it does make up all, if not most, of the investment thinking. It would be great to think it wasn't and was only 5-10% of that wealth. If that is indeed the case it would be great to see the representative 90% of posts they could be making on other topics and other Boards. Somehow they seem to be invisible to me.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 7:17 am

absolutezero wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
JohnnyCyclops wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Who did that?

The disruptors, the TR Taliban, that photobomb any thread concerning income investing, of course. HY investors seem quite happy in the knowledge that they may not be maximising overall growth, but are not allowed to be content with that. On the other hand, HY investors are happy for investors not requiring income, to do their own thing without constantly carping on.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 2nd, 2021, 7:33 am

Lootman wrote:A peculiarity with HYP is that, to my knowledge, it really never had much of a life outside of TMF, TLF and Mr Bland's now defunct HYP tipsheet. So the question arises as to what happens to it if discussions dwindle (for whatever reason). Where do the new recruits come from when there is no progress, no debate, no recruiting and nobody spearheading it? And if there is no new blood then it will wither on the vine, not helped by the fact that UK HY shares have been an under-performing class for approaching 15 years now.

In the early days of TLF I suggested that the Board be renamed "Dividend Investing". I still think that would be a better long term bet.

In my view HYPP is a subset of HYSS which is probably the natural home of most visitors here, and yet the "posts" stats don't bear that out at all.

In the early days iirc I suggested that HYPP be a closed/private board ie. folk have to ask to join it - that would give Mods just cause I reckon for excluding the persistent "naysayers" (upon a number of warnings perhaps). Asking everyone to "reapply" before they next post could be done today (technically not difficult). What better test of the guidelines and "HYP" (whatever that is, now) than that?

One effect would certainly be a dwindling of the is-it/isn't-it rows on HYPP, and more "(Stephen Bland's)HYP+my twist on it" discussions on HYSS - and those are the more interesting and useful ones frankly. However it might also put eminent posters (eg. TJH) in a quandary, knowing that they are likely preaching to smaller congregations. Which brings us to your sensible suggestion of renaming it "Dividend Investing".

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » September 2nd, 2021, 8:20 am

Wizard wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:It's not me using TR to attack HYP, but several others. We've been through the arguments every way, but it seems we cannot have a simple discussion on whether HYP is waning, or whether support on the boards for HYP is waning (whatever the thread intention was) without a bunch of guys going off topic and introducing arguments about growth shares having better TR. They enforce their own POV on almost any discussion which starts off as either being about HY or HYP (indeed in this thread said people have mixed up the two as though the are the same). It's this constant obsession with imposing their view at every opportunity which put me in mind of the Taliban, and also which caused the disruption and decline of discussion on the HYPP board.

This thread has clearly run its course and nothing new is likely to be learned.

Arb.

My bold.

Well that is one possible reason, but there are other possible reasons. It could be because there are fewer Lemonfools following HYP, it could be because the number is the same but they feel there is less to discuss, it could be because discussion forums are old hat and all the juicy discussion is taking place in Facebook groups, or something else I have not thought of.

My personal view, and this is not an attack on HYP, is that there is very little of substance left to say. A series of posts saying ‘here is my HYP as it stands now’, ‘here is what I just top sliced’, ‘here is what I just topped up’ will after a time fail to inspire much response and I suspect that time has arrived. To me it just seems that it is a subject area where pretty much anything of interest has been said. What might increase discussion again would be a big external ‘shock’ such as the number of dividend cuts due to COVID.

PS I do find likening other contributors to the Taliban in rather bad taste. Would you like being labelled as ISIS-HYP? Didn’t think so.

I hope that is not personal as I have just posted "my hyp as it stands". I rarely post now, although HYPP still shows as my number one forum. I do feel that there is less that draws me there, although I do read it most days. However, I do like seeing and comparing other people's HYP, to me it is its "one" major reason to view it. Like others though the continual links to company news is, IMO, irrelevant because if anyone is interested they would already "read" that forum. To me the one major downside to HYPP is the constant hijacking by those who seem to be anti-hyp. Why not stop posting there and use HYPSS for your narrative (post a link if you want to), where I do find some of the discussions interesting.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 2nd, 2021, 8:58 am

seagles wrote:I hope that is not personal as I have just posted "my hyp as it stands". I rarely post now, although HYPP still shows as my number one forum. I do feel that there is less that draws me there, although I do read it most days. However, I do like seeing and comparing other people's HYP, to me it is its "one" major reason to view it. Like others though the continual links to company news is, IMO, irrelevant because if anyone is interested they would already "read" that forum. To me the one major downside to HYPP is the constant hijacking by those who seem to be anti-hyp. Why not stop posting there and use HYPSS for your narrative (post a link if you want to), where I do find some of the discussions interesting.

Absolutely nothing personal. But your post is illustrative as it has had no replies. There were replies to JohnnyCyclops' recent portfolio update, but that was a rather unusual situation. That said, I would argue mine were possibly the most substantive replies in terms of content and I am not an HYPer - and it seems my reward for trying to start a discussion was for one person to post a personal attack.

I completely agree on the duplication of Company News posts, but that has been debated before and it was concluded as OK by the Mods. That is one of the reasons the post count for HYPP is still high, another is that there have always been a fair few "I agree with [insert name]" posts or posts telling everyone another post has been rec'ed, which add volume but no intellectually meaningful comment.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 9:07 am

moorfield wrote:
Lootman wrote:A peculiarity with HYP is that, to my knowledge, it really never had much of a life outside of TMF, TLF and Mr Bland's now defunct HYP tipsheet. So the question arises as to what happens to it if discussions dwindle (for whatever reason). Where do the new recruits come from when there is no progress, no debate, no recruiting and nobody spearheading it? And if there is no new blood then it will wither on the vine, not helped by the fact that UK HY shares have been an under-performing class for approaching 15 years now.

In the early days of TLF I suggested that the Board be renamed "Dividend Investing". I still think that would be a better long term bet.

In my view HYPP is a subset of HYSS which is probably the natural home of most visitors here, and yet the "posts" stats don't bear that out at all.

In the early days iirc I suggested that HYPP be a closed/private board ie. folk have to ask to join it - that would give Mods just cause I reckon for excluding the persistent "naysayers" (upon a number of warnings perhaps). Asking everyone to "reapply" before they next post could be done today (technically not difficult). What better test of the guidelines and "HYP" (whatever that is, now) than that?

One effect would certainly be a dwindling of the is-it/isn't-it rows on HYPP, and more "(Stephen Bland's)HYP+my twist on it" discussions on HYSS - and those are the more interesting and useful ones frankly. However it might also put eminent posters (eg. TJH) in a quandary, knowing that they are likely preaching to smaller congregations. Which brings us to your sensible suggestion of renaming it "Dividend Investing".

Well, that would be the final triumph of the HYP haters: to get rid of the HYP board altogether.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 9:16 am

Wizard wrote:
seagles wrote:I hope that is not personal as I have just posted "my hyp as it stands". I rarely post now, although HYPP still shows as my number one forum. I do feel that there is less that draws me there, although I do read it most days. However, I do like seeing and comparing other people's HYP, to me it is its "one" major reason to view it. Like others though the continual links to company news is, IMO, irrelevant because if anyone is interested they would already "read" that forum. To me the one major downside to HYPP is the constant hijacking by those who seem to be anti-hyp. Why not stop posting there and use HYPSS for your narrative (post a link if you want to), where I do find some of the discussions interesting.

Absolutely nothing personal. But your post is illustrative as it has had no replies. There were replies to JohnnyCyclops' recent portfolio update, but that was a rather unusual situation. That said, I would argue mine were possibly the most substantive replies in terms of content and I am not an HYPer - and it seems my reward for trying to start a discussion was for one person to post a personal attack.

I completely agree on the duplication of Company News posts, but that has been debated before and it was concluded as OK by the Mods. That is one of the reasons the post count for HYPP is still high, another is that there have always been a fair few "I agree with [insert name]" posts or posts telling everyone another post has been rec'ed, which add volume but no intellectually meaningful comment.

Actually, it is fairly normal that when someone posts a report, there are few replies. That doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of interest and they have sometimes achieve a reasonable number of "likes" and views. The point is, that there is rarely anything one can say about a report unless there is something unusual about it. The fact is that HYPs are more or less routine and uncontroversial - at least to other HYPers, so what can one say?- most responses would be a simple "well done" or "that's similar to mine".
Occcasionally, someone spots an error or something which could be changed (Gengulphus being particularly valuable in that respect), but most of us know the ropes by now so there's not much variation.
Reports are mainly in the spirit of transparency to show how we've arrived at conclusions - not usually a debating subject.

Arb.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 2nd, 2021, 9:18 am

Wizard wrote: That said, I would argue mine were possibly the most substantive replies in terms of content and I am not an HYPer - and it seems my reward for trying to start a discussion was for one person to post a personal attack.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "a wolf in sheep's clothing"?

"A wolf in sheep's clothing is an idiom of Biblical origin used to describe those playing a role contrary to their real character with whom contact is dangerous, particularly false teachers." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_in_s ... s_clothing

In my opinion, this seems quite apt when someone is engaging in discussion with others and trying to position themselves as seemingly being helpful and informative (in essence a 'teacher'), yet that person has openly stated previously that they don't actually agree with the 'thing' on which they are seemingly being helpful and informative on.

How can any such engagement truly be considered 'sincere' unless the ultimate aim of that engagement is to inevitably try to guide the other person away from the 'thing'?

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 2nd, 2021, 9:18 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Well, that would be the final triumph of the HYP haters: to get rid of the HYP board altogether.

If you are thinking that I am a HYP hater, then say it, and I will report you. I am not. Read again what I suggested.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 9:30 am

Wizard wrote:PS I do find likening other contributors to the Taliban in rather bad taste. Would you like being labelled as ISIS-HYP? Didn’t think so.

It was in bad taste, but so is the constant sniping at people just because they run an HY portfolio. I was attracted to the term as "Taliban TR" has a nice ring to it but it also conveys the picture of idealogues crashing the board and forcing their own view on others by being disruptive. We must remember that it was the disruptors and snipers with their guerilla warfare which caused the whole trouble on the HYPP board and which led to its decline, such as it is. People left the board due to nitpickers and troublemakers, and I'm sorry to say you might have been viewed as one of them by some, leading to your being blocked by at least one person. Your culminating idea was to suck all posts from the HYPP board by highjacking the discussion on the this board, then suggesting HYPP should be an isolated enclave, a private board, thus ensuring its demise. Thankfully, that didn't work and the HYPP board survived.

Your ISIS-HYP has nothing to recommend it, not even a grain of truth, so I don't think it a valid comparison.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2021, 9:32 am

moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

If you are thinking that I am a HYP hater, then say it, and I will report you. I am not. Read again what I suggested.

I didn't say you were, and actually I have never had any idea that you were. We were both commenting of views and events which weren't our own.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 2nd, 2021, 9:46 am

Arborbridge wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

I didn't say you were, and actually I have never had any idea that you were. We were both commenting of views and events which weren't our own.

Apologies, since you requoted me I took that as an implication you were, plus I am not in the best of moods this morning.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”