Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investment Trusts with 10-year consecutive dividend increases

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Investment Trusts with 10-year consecutive dividend increases

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 8:16 am

Below is a table of Investment Trusts that can currently show a record of consecutive dividend increases for at least 10 years, and which currently deliver a yield of 2.9% or over.

The left-hand column URL link will show the relevant AIC page for each Investment Trust, and the table also includes information for 5-year dividend growth-rates, along with 3-year and 5-year Total-Return performance figures as well.

The table is ranked by AIC Sector, and then in order of descending yields within each sector, and also includes a link URL on the right of the table that will show the AIC 'Portfolio' page for each Investment Trust,which gives a detailed breakdown of underlying holdings that might hopefully help with any further investigation.

As always, the table should not be used for any investment process without further due-diligence being carried out...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Re: Investment Trusts with 10-year consecutive dividend increases

Postby nmdhqbc » September 21st, 2021, 8:47 am

I'd check the data on these. It seems they exclude specials. for example Scottish Investment trust cut its dividend in 2020. To me that's quite a slight of hand to get on these lists. I blame the AIC to be honest for allowing it to count as a rise. If there was a genuine reason for a one off special then i'd agree but there's specials for a lot of years here. fact is if you own it you got paid less in 2020 than in 2019...

https://thescottish.co.uk/shareholder-i ... nformation
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... /dividends

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » September 21st, 2021, 10:20 am

I wonder what an 'ideal' combination of metrics would be for a reasonable and sustainable yield, perhaps:
1) yield >= 4%
2) 5 yr div growth pa >= 5%
3) 5 yr TR >= 50%

Btw on the AIC website can you use those filters withou being a member? I can't seem to see them anywhere.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » September 21st, 2021, 11:27 am

Btw I manually applied those filters (yield >= 4%, 5 yr div growth pa >= 5%, 5 yr TR >= 50%) to that list of ITs and only Chelverton UK Dividend and JPMorgan Claverhouse Investment Trust passed muster, and Chelverton has an annual charge of 2.46%

Though when I bought Law Debenture Corp earlier this year it would also have passed.

What are people's thoughts on JPMorgan Claverhouse Investment Trust?

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 21st, 2021, 3:02 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Below is a table of Investment Trusts that can currently show a record of consecutive dividend increases for at least 10 years, and which currently deliver a yield of 2.9% or over.

Ineresting list, thanks. Apropos of nothing, which of those do you think might be the closest buyable proxy to an HYP?

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 21st, 2021, 4:14 pm

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Below is a table of Investment Trusts that can currently show a record of consecutive dividend increases for at least 10 years, and which currently deliver a yield of 2.9% or over.

Ineresting list, thanks. Apropos of nothing, which of those do you think might be the closest buyable proxy to an HYP?

This is a very good question.
Part of my portfolio is a conventional HYP; another part is a basket of income ITs which include:
CTY, MRCH, LWDB, HFEL, MYI & HICL. This last is not on your list, but I classify this in the same group.
Within my SIPP, I have been gradually reinvesting dividends from HYP single shares into the basket of income ITs in order to make the portfolio more robust to neglect (aka the long term gaga plan).
I have also been growing the cash buffer within the SIPP, and have now started to withdraw income from it on a regular basis.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm

moorfield wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Below is a table of Investment Trusts that can currently show a record of consecutive dividend increases for at least 10 years, and which currently deliver a yield of 2.9% or over.

Apropos of nothing, which of those do you think might be the closest buyable proxy to an HYP?

I don't think I'd really try to advocate anything so simple as a 'single income-IT' being any sort of 'buyable proxy' for a HYP, to be honest.

If I was going to try to do that, and something looked so good as to be in that position, then I'd probably just look under the hood and buy the underlying holdings, and save the management fee....

Where I think higher-yielding IT's come into their fore is where a number of them might generally have around the same management fee, but where buying a wider portfolio of income-IT's might then enable access to a much broader geographical and sectoral spread than we might achieve either via a more standard HYP approach, or from buying any 'single income-IT' itself, and I think it's at that broader 'portfolio of IT's' level that some of the underlying management fees might start to look a little less onerous, and especially when coupled with other inherent beneficial aspects such as revenue-reserves etc...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 4:27 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:
I'd check the data on these.

I would too - in fact I'm always very careful to say exactly that on these types of threads, as I hope can be seen in the text of my opening post...

nmdhqbc wrote:
It seems they exclude specials. for example Scottish Investment trust cut its dividend in 2020. To me that's quite a slight of hand to get on these lists. I blame the AIC to be honest for allowing it to count as a rise. If there was a genuine reason for a one off special then i'd agree but there's specials for a lot of years here. fact is if you own it you got paid less in 2020 than in 2019...

https://thescottish.co.uk/shareholder-i ... nformation
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... /dividends

I totally agree that income-investors looking at this type of data have to be very careful with regards to 'regular dividends' and 'special dividends', and it should come as no surprise that shenanigans can go on with articles claiming a certain level of 'consecutive dividend rises' in a sub-set of payouts that might not necessarily pertain to all the expected payouts from a legacy point of view, and specials are of course highly susceptible to this aspect....

It's an important point though, and certainly something to check against, so thanks for raising it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 21st, 2021, 4:36 pm

dundas666 wrote:
I wonder what an 'ideal' combination of metrics would be for a reasonable and sustainable yield, perhaps:

1) yield >= 4%
3) 5 yr TR >= 50%

Btw on the AIC website can you use those filters without being a member? I can't seem to see them anywhere.

Yes, there's certainly an aspect of encouraging a 'multi-vector' approach to these things that does interest me here, and that's why I've been trying to include this type of data in recent tables.

In terms of what data the AIC site has available, then hopefully the link below will help provide some of the groundwork, but do note to check all the sectors are turned on, and also make sure to visit the 'Data Points' section as well, as there's lots of interesting bits of sub-data there that can also help with these types of filters.

https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compare-investment-companies/advanced-compare?set=import

Also note that if you're wanting to throw everything in that AIC table into an Excel spreadsheet to have a play with some filters, then you'll want to 'Enable Print Mode' via the Print option on that page, which then allows a mouse-drag selection of the data that you might wish to transfer...

Hope that helps..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 21st, 2021, 5:57 pm

TUK020 wrote:
moorfield wrote:

This is a very good question.
Part of my portfolio is a conventional HYP; another part is a basket of income ITs which include:
CTY, MRCH, LWDB, HFEL, MYI & HICL. This last is not on your list, but I classify this in the same group.
Within my SIPP, I have been gradually reinvesting dividends from HYP single shares into the basket of income ITs in order to make the portfolio more robust to neglect (aka the long term gaga plan).
I have also been growing the cash buffer within the SIPP, and have now started to withdraw income from it on a regular basis.

Yes I am now contemplating a reinvestment-into-IT plan over the next few years, starting with CTY and MYI. That said I'm also interested in the risks of holding everything in just one let's say MYI for arguments sake, in case I go really gaga. I would want to leave Lady M (and the Juniors) with very simple directions. But that may be O/T for IAAG's thread here.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » September 22nd, 2021, 11:53 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
dundas666 wrote:

1) yield >= 4%
3) 5 yr TR >= 50%

Btw on the AIC website can you use those filters without being a member? I can't seem to see them anywhere.

Yes, there's certainly an aspect of encouraging a 'multi-vector' approach to these things that does interest me here, and that's why I've been trying to include this type of data in recent tables.

Yeah I think we need all these factors because an IT could have both a great yield and dividend growth, but be paying for it from capital and so have a low TR (I'm looking at you HFEL ;) ) so you might want to see that in the metrics.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » September 22nd, 2021, 12:03 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:In terms of what data the AIC site has available, then hopefully the link below will help provide some of the groundwork, but do note to check all the sectors are turned on, and also make sure to visit the 'Data Points' section as well, as there's lots of interesting bits of sub-data there that can also help with these types of filters.

https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compare-investment-companies/advanced-compare?set=import

Thanks, Itsallaguess, I'm familiar with this AIC page and use it often, I just can't find the filtering options where I could specify yield > 4%, 5 year SPTR > 50% etc. I've searched for this functionality but can't find it, perhaps it's only available to members?

Thanks, d6

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » September 22nd, 2021, 3:14 pm

dundas666 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:In terms of what data the AIC site has available, then hopefully the link below will help provide some of the groundwork, but do note to check all the sectors are turned on, and also make sure to visit the 'Data Points' section as well, as there's lots of interesting bits of sub-data there that can also help with these types of filters.

Thanks, Itsallaguess, I'm familiar with this AIC page and use it often, I just can't find the filtering options where I could specify yield > 4%, 5 year SPTR > 50% etc. I've searched for this functionality but can't find it, perhaps it's only available to members?

Thanks, d6

No need to register. Anyone can do all that you wish and many other filters using this Screener function. It can be found on the ribbon or here for convenience https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-com ... lue=%7B%7D

Separately the heros and next gen heros can be found on the income finder tool https://www.theaic.co.uk/income-finder/dividend-heroes

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 22nd, 2021, 3:56 pm

DavidM13 wrote:
dundas666 wrote:
I'm familiar with this AIC page and use it often, I just can't find the filtering options where I could specify yield > 4%, 5 year SPTR > 50% etc. I've searched for this functionality but can't find it, perhaps it's only available to members?

No need to register. Anyone can do all that you wish and many other filters using this Screener function. It can be found on the ribbon or here for convenience

https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-com ... lue=%7B%7D

Thanks David - that's a useful screener link.

I must admit that I tend to prefer to use Excel for this type of thing, from a baseline data-set, just so I can then use the more flexible Excel filter functionality without having to dip in and out of the screener settings, but it's good to have lots of options with this type of thing, so people can work in ways they prefer, to help with this type of optioneering.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » September 23rd, 2021, 8:52 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
DavidM13 wrote:
dundas666 wrote:
I'm familiar with this AIC page and use it often, I just can't find the filtering options where I could specify yield > 4%, 5 year SPTR > 50% etc. I've searched for this functionality but can't find it, perhaps it's only available to members?

No need to register. Anyone can do all that you wish and many other filters using this Screener function. It can be found on the ribbon or here for convenience

https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-com ... lue=%7B%7D

Thanks David - that's a useful screener link.

I must admit that I tend to prefer to use Excel for this type of thing, from a baseline data-set, just so I can then use the more flexible Excel filter functionality without having to dip in and out of the screener settings, but it's good to have lots of options with this type of thing, so people can work in ways they prefer, to help with this type of optioneering.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

You can download 100 rows in xls using that tool. I cant work out how to insert the screenshot to show you , but go to ACTIONS which is near the graphing icon and the investment compare icon and you can download there.

Have you used the compare function (the side by side?) I worry that people dont know it is even there :?

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » September 23rd, 2021, 10:53 am

by the way. the download function from there downloads ALL tabs not just the one you are on

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » September 23rd, 2021, 3:10 pm

DavidM13 wrote:
dundas666 wrote:

Thanks, d6

No need to register. Anyone can do all that you wish and many other filters using this Screener function. It can be found on the ribbon or here for convenience https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-com ... lue=%7B%7D

Cheers David, that's exactly what I was looking for.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » October 9th, 2021, 11:07 am

Another usefull list . Many thanks for your effortss

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”