Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AIC - Investment Trust Screener Tool review

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

AIC - Investment Trust Screener Tool review

Postby Itsallaguess » September 26th, 2021, 8:47 am

Prompted by a discussion on a separate HYSS thread, I thought it was worth taking a closer look at the great AIC Investment Trust screening tool that's available via the superb AIC site, as I think it contains lots of neat features that might interest those of us who want to spend some time honing in on specific performance-related aspects of their prospective income-investments, and which the great AIC screener tool can help with in that regard.

The AIC Investment Trust screening tool can be accessed using this link - https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-company-screener

Note - all snapshots below have been generated from the above AIC Screening Tool page.

By default when using the above link, the number of screening options is fairly limited, but using the 'Show More' button towards the right of page will open up a larger number of filterable options -

The AIC screener page will open will all filters reset by default, and with a full complement of AIC-listed investments shown under the above section of filters, and as we apply different filtering criteria using any of the above options, the list of trusts will automatically be updated to then comply with those changing filter-criteria.

The resulting list will by default show the 'Overview' tab of company-related information, but as the snapshot below shows, there are other selectable tabs (Price Performance, NAV performance, Charges & Gearing, etc..) that will show different investment-related information for any underlying list of investments -

By default, the number of underlying investments listed will be set to 10, which is often quite limiting but can be altered using a drop-down option underneath the list, which can be manually set to show a list of 10, 20, or 50 results. It's worth noting that even listing 50 results might well be quite limiting in some circumstances, and so I've found that manually changing a URL setting on the browser address bar can actually achieve a much longer list of results than those available using that rather limited user-option drop-down -

There is a very useful 'Export' option available under the 'Actions' drop-down menu, which will export the whole set of underlying fields, including all the information on every one of the above tabs, into a CSV file which can then be opened using any of the popular spreadsheet applications, and I often prefer to use that method of data-extraction without any filtering criteria being applied on the site, because it then allows me to play with some broader optioneering with all the underlying sets of data being visible at once on a single spreadsheet page, rather than having to use the above tabs to view the different areas, and it also allows me to manually remove any of the VCT results that might be brought back, as it's not currently possible to specifically filter those VCT's out of the results using the available filter criteria -

Finally, one of the most useful additional benefits of this AIC screener tool is the ability to compare up to 7 of the listed investments, using the tick-boxes to the left of the listed items and then selecting the 'Chart' icon above the list, which then generates a great set of performance-comparison charts in a completely separate browser tab, and from there many options are then also available to change things like chart time-scales etc., on that separate chart-related tab -

All in all, I think the AIC Screening Tool is a great resource for those of us who might wish to spend some time investigating our potential income-investments, as well as perhaps checking on the underlying performance of existing portfolio holdings, and I hope the above post goes some way to show how useful a tool it can be.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Re: AIC - Investment Trust Screener Tool review

Postby funduffer » September 26th, 2021, 5:31 pm

IAAG,

Thank you!

I have just been playing around with it, and it is a certainly pretty powerful tool, and helping me to select my next IT next month.

I am light in Europe, and currently thinking European Assets (EAT) of JP Morgan European Income (JETI).

Need to look a bit deeper, but thanks for this anyway.

FD

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » September 26th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Very useful, mate. Super screenshots. Ta.

MDW1954

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 7th, 2021, 8:23 am

Wow! I don't normally come on this forum (I normally hide in investment trusts) so didn't notice this.

Many thanks for the plug! That must have taken a while.

I will just add one thing. There is the really cool looking "Investment compare" function too. That is just to the right of the little graph icon you pointed out. This allows for a side-by-side comparison of further data items. Including portfolio data which may help.

Now, can you do another of your cool adverts for the new Data Alerts function please?! :geek: :geek:

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 17th, 2021, 8:26 am

i too have found this very useful .

but recently i find i cant use all the information columns -- the portfolio holdings in particular - due to them being blocked out by the search function box - tried two browsers .

has something changed ?

:?:

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 17th, 2021, 8:34 am

jackdaww wrote:.

but recently i find i cant use all the information columns -- the portfolio holdings in particular - due to them being blocked out by the search function box - tried two browsers .

has something changed ?

Hi,
Nothing has changed as far as I can tell and I cannot recreate the problem on either chrome or edge or my iphone. I take it your screen is maximised and you are on a laptop? If you wish to drop any screenshots or further information to this email perhaps we can investigate further for you? website@theaic.co.uk

Can any other user recreate this issue on their machines?

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » November 17th, 2021, 2:03 pm

I used this suggested screener and ended up with 44 printed pages. So its nots as good as the Itsallaguess monthly list. A bit concerned as he is missing for the first of November.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 17th, 2021, 2:38 pm

DavidM13 wrote:

has something changed ?

Hi,
Nothing has changed as far as I can tell and I cannot recreate the problem on either chrome or edge or my iphone. I take it your screen is maximised and you are on a laptop? If you wish to drop any screenshots or further information to this email perhaps we can investigate further for you? website@theaic.co.uk

=======================
tried my laptop and its ok there .

my pc has the screen folded after ESG - so charges and gearing are on the next line below.
the right side of the screen is taken up by portfolio watchlist - company search - company announcements - company documents - all stacked vertically .

sorry cant do screen shot at present .

:?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 17th, 2021, 2:49 pm

my pc has the screen folded after ESG - so charges and gearing are on the next line below.
the right side of the screen is taken up by portfolio watchlist - company search - company announcements - company documents - all stacked vertically .

I wonder if your browser zoom level is set too high? Use CTRL- to decrease zoom and CTRL+ to increase zoom

--kiloran

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 17th, 2021, 2:54 pm

kiloran wrote:

I wonder if your browser zoom level is set too high? Use CTRL- to decrease zoom and CTRL+ to increase zoom

--kiloran

=================================

thanks yes - fiddled with zoom - to no effect .

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 19th, 2021, 7:59 pm

I tried to do what IAAG was doing from the instructions in the October list. I almost got it to work except I couldn't filter for yield >3.5% which meant the table was much too large. It does mean it was useable for me, but I couldn't post it here. If I'm not too busy I'll have another go at the beginning of December.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 24th, 2021, 1:59 pm

jackdaww wrote:
DavidM13 wrote:

has something changed ?

Hi,

=======================

I haven't forgotten you it is just there is not much my developer can do without screenshots as we cannot recreate it. If you do get a chance to screenshot and send via email to the address on the "Have a question" part of the website we will endeavor to look further. Sorry, I cannot help more here :evil:

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm

daveh wrote:I tried to do what IAAG was doing from the instructions in the October list. I almost got it to work except I couldn't filter for yield >3.5% which meant the table was much too large. It does mean it was useable for me, but I couldn't post it here. If I'm not too busy I'll have another go at the beginning of December.

WOW!!!! I didn't even know you could do that! You can change the parameters in the web URL so even though we only offer "Over 3%" you change it to over 3.5% for example.

That is clever! Actually that helps other clients who sometimes cannot drill down as they wish.

GREAT SPOT.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”