Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

City of London IT (CTY) - Q4 Dividend Declaration

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

City of London IT (CTY) - Q4 Dividend Declaration

Postby Itsallaguess » July 21st, 2022, 3:56 pm

The Board of The City of London Investment Trust plc announces that -

A fourth interim dividend of 5.00p per ordinary share, will be paid on 31 August 2022 to holders registered at the close of business on 5 August 2022.

The Company's shares will go ex-dividend on 4 August 2022.

The total dividend for the year to 30 June 2022 is 19.60p per share, an increase of 2.6% over the previous year.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/city-of-london-it--cty-/rns/dividend-declaration/202207211545023521T/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: City of London IT (CTY) - Q4 Dividend Declaration

Postby moorfield » July 21st, 2022, 9:42 pm

Which puts CTY on a yield of 4.8% today.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » July 21st, 2022, 9:56 pm

moorfield wrote:Which puts CTY on a yield of 4.8% today.

what you'd get in the next 12 months buying at close price would be at least (not with 100% certainty of course)...
(4*5.0)/407 = 4.91%
but stamp duty would make it (other buying costs depend on the amount)...
(4*5.0*0.995)/407 = 4.89%
but then the last of the 4 payments would normally be increased so maybe as a conservative estimate...
(((3*5.0)+5.1)*0.995)/407 = 4.91%

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » July 21st, 2022, 9:56 pm

I know there are some that don't appreciate CTY, but I like them.

Simple and steady, exactly the kind of investment one wants as part of a retirement portfolio.

They complement my other investments, some for income, some for growth and income and some for growth only.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 21st, 2022, 10:00 pm

Darka wrote:I know there are some that don't appreciate CTY, but I like them.

Simple and steady, exactly the kind of investment one wants as part of a retirement portfolio.

Quite so. You haven't tempted me (yet) into asking HYPsters that question I like to ask. You know the one I mean. ;)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 21st, 2022, 10:40 pm

Snorvey wrote:CTY & MYI

Everything the income seeker needs.

Interesting, you would hold only those two ?

A lot simpler than a HYP, certainly.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 22nd, 2022, 8:52 am

They complement my other investments, some for income, some for growth and income and some for growth only.

I must admit, I was watching CTY's performance warily through the COVID crash, but they trundled on, delivering income without missing a beat. Won't shoot the lights out in terms of performance, and lagging behind current inflation in real terms. But very solid.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 22nd, 2022, 9:53 am

TUK020 wrote:

I must admit, I was watching CTY's performance warily through the COVID crash, but they trundled on, delivering income without missing a beat. Won't shoot the lights out in terms of performance, and lagging behind current inflation in real terms. But very solid.

Although I reference CTY often here, I don't actually hold it. Rather I view it as an income investment of the "last resort", in other words I do not seek to buy individual shares on lower yields, for income.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 28th, 2022, 12:25 pm

moorfield wrote:Although I reference CTY often here, I don't actually hold it.

:o

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 29th, 2022, 9:36 am

moorfield wrote:
TUK020 wrote:

Although I reference CTY often here, I don't actually hold it. Rather I view it as an income investment of the "last resort", in other words I do not seek to buy individual shares on lower yields, for income.

Interesting - I think it was my first resort when I knew I needed steady income (actually, before I needed income, strictly speaking) and didn't have confidence in doing anything else.
Indeed, it might have been my very first IT, decades ago.

My BiL, who is all after asset culling for income, is very sarcastic about anyone who holds it - including me.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 29th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
My BiL, who is all after asset culling for income, is very sarcastic about anyone who holds it - including me.

Presumably then neither your sarcastic BiL or yourself hold any companies yielding less than CTY, for income?

Welcome back btw, enjoying the summer?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 29th, 2022, 12:13 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
moorfield wrote:
TUK020 wrote:

Interesting - I think it was my first resort when I knew I needed steady income (actually, before I needed income, strictly speaking) and didn't have confidence in doing anything else.
Indeed, it might have been my very first IT, decades ago.

Welcome back, Arb. I share your BiL's feelings about City of London.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 29th, 2022, 1:24 pm

moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Presumably then neither your sarcastic BiL or yourself hold any companies yielding less than CTY, for income?

Welcome back btw, enjoying the summer?

Dod101 wrote:

Thanks both

I've been living on my boat for a week short of two months, travelling Chichester to Falmouth and back. I haven't looked at my portfolios or TLF in that time or even felt like it! I've enjoyed the "time off" and behaved like the true HYPer which some people aspire to be.

I assume my HYP is trundling along without my help and all I've done is had the occasional check to see my current account is OK.

I see a complication I will have to gets to grips with as regards record keeping - the GSK spin-off thingy. Of course, I could just ignore it....

To answer the question, Moorfield: you tease. You know well I (and most HYPers) have some companies which fall below that kind of yield, but being HYP, one does little about it - at least unless it becomes a nagging problem.

Arb.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 29th, 2022, 6:33 pm

it has been said somewhere on here that CTY is pretty well a close proxy to a HYP.

without all the fuss...

:D

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 29th, 2022, 8:59 pm

jackdaww wrote:.

it has been said somewhere on here that CTY is pretty well a close proxy to a HYP.

without all the fuss...

My own view is CTY is a reasonable proxy for the bar - ie. yield - that HYP should always be aiming to beat, ideally by all individual holdings, certainly by portfolio overall. HYP's Guidelines definition of "high yield", the FTSE 100 index, is flawed imo because that includes non dividend payers/zero yielders - usually 10+ constituents at any one time - so should be stripped out of the calculation. Many HYPsters tend to dump zero yielders after all (certainly newbie HYPsters wouldn't buy them!), so why not adjust that benchmark accordingly? And folk will then find it is not too different to CTY...

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 29th, 2022, 9:22 pm

jackdaww wrote:.

without all the fuss...

Yes but retired gentlemen who do not spend their idle days sailing from Chichester to Falmouth and back again (I am hugely jealous) need a keyboard hobby. And therein unforced income erosion begins....

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”