Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Merchants Trust (MRCH) - Half Yearly Report

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Merchants Trust (MRCH) - Half Yearly Report

Postby Itsallaguess » September 30th, 2022, 7:30 am

Merchants Trust (MRCH) - Half Yearly Report for the six months ended 31 July 2022 -

The board has declared a second quarterly dividend for the current financial year of 6.85p per ordinary share, payable on 10 November 2022 to shareholders on the register at close of business on 7 October 2022.

This means that for the first half of the 2023 financial year, the aggregated dividend will be 13.7p compared with 13.6p for the same period last year.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/merchants-trust.--mrch-/rns/half-year-report/202209300700132475B/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Ricksure
Lemon Pip

Re: Merchants Trust (MRCH) - Half Yearly Report

Postby Ricksure » September 30th, 2022, 1:18 pm

I have held Merchants Trust (MRCH) in my Sipp and the grandkids junior ISA's for several years and comparing them too City (CTY) this morning noticed MRCH has a slightly higher dividend than CTY also the 5 year price is up 1.41% while CTY have lost 11.68% of their value in 5 years, not sure if this is a good time to top up the wife's holding of CTY while the price is down or buy her MRCH instead

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 30th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Ricksure wrote:
I have held Merchants Trust (MRCH) in my Sipp and the grandkids junior ISA's for several years and comparing them too City (CTY) this morning noticed MRCH has a slightly higher dividend than CTY also the 5 year price is up 1.41% while CTY have lost 11.68% of their value in 5 years, not sure if this is a good time to top up the wife's holding of CTY while the price is down or buy her MRCH instead

CTY has certainly underperformed it's UK Income sector in recent years, whilst MRCH has broadly tracked it until recently, where they've then gone on a bit of an out-performance run, as we can see when we compare their two Trustnet charts -

Source - https://www2.trustnet.com/Tools/Charting.aspx?typeCode=FITMRCH,XT:UGI,FITCTY

The above 5 year chart seems to indicate that where there's been any outperformance compared to the UK Income sector, it's been MRCH that's been able to consistently do that, which is why I have a higher allocation towards MRCH in the UK-facing sector of my income portfolio, and a relatively smaller holding in CTY.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 30th, 2022, 2:12 pm

MRCH is in the running for a topup this month - you've made me wonder whether to even swap some CTY out to more MRCH as well. It doesn't look as though I can justify my CTY holding being bigger, although I am well aware of falling into the trap of changing queues at the supermarket checkout.

Arb.

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » October 28th, 2022, 9:59 pm

Saw this link to a repeat video presentation in my Citywire News Feed ...

Big Broadcast: Investment income in a changing world

"Don’t worry if you missed this week’s virtual event with Merchants Trust (MRCH) fund manager Simon Gergel, you can watch the one-hour broadcast here!
In the programme, Gergel of Allianz Global Investors explains how he runs the £656m UK-focused equity income trust which has generated good long-term shareholder returns and consistently increased dividends for 39 years."

For those devotees of Merchants Trust (of which I'm one) who didn't catch it first-time 'round then may be of interest.

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”