Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dividend Income 2023

General discussions about equity high-yield income strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Dividend Income 2023

Postby Dod101 » November 26th, 2023, 8:54 am

Many thanks IAAG. As you can probably gather I do not worry too much about sectors but it is helpful to see them set out. I have held many of the stalwarts for upwards of 20 years and as you may remember value culture hugely. Once it is set in a company it is very difficult to change for good or ill. That is why I have often avoided disasters like Carillion and much earlier of course, RBS.

All portfolios evolve of course but I did not realise I had quite as many ITs. Each has its own strengths but taken as a whole, the portfolio does what I need it to do, provides a fairly reliable and growing income.

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » November 26th, 2023, 9:43 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
For completeness, here's your end of March 2023 portfolio listing Dod, before you removed Treatt and added in Greencoat, but with some sector information added in and the single-share holdings split out from your Investment Trusts -

Shares                     Sector                                          Capital  Dividend  Yield
Legal & General Asset Management 3.84% 6.86% 8.15%
Schroders Asset Management 3.04% 3.72% 5.59%
Toronto Dominion Bank Banks - Canadian 2.46% 2.03% 3.77%
Bank of Montreal Banks - Canadian 1.60% 1.10% 3.13%
HSBC Holdings Banks - Diversified 4.47% 3.98% 4.06%
Diageo Beverages - Wineries & Distilleries 3.27% 1.52% 2.12%
Treatt Chemicals 0.79% 0.07% 0.42%
Astrazeneca Drug Manufacturers - General 3.72% 2.13% 2.62%
GSK Drug Manufacturers - General 2.42% 2.51% 4.73%
Unilever Household & Personal Products 4.56% 4.41% 4.42%
Chesnara Insurance - Life 2.87% 5.23% 8.32%
Phoenix Group Insurance - Life 2.55% 5.04% 9.04%
Admiral Insurance - Property & Casualty 2.48% 5.71% 10.49%
Shell Oil & Gas Integrated 4.15% 3.68% 4.06%
Henry Boot Real Estate - Diversified 1.22% 0.73% 2.73%
Primary Health Properties REIT - Healthcare Facilities 2.47% 3.51% 6.50%
Segro REIT - Industrial 2.49% 1.89% 3.47%
M J Gleeson Residential Construction 1.90% 1.29% 3.11%
BAT Tobacco 3.16% 5.23% 7.57%
Imperial Brands Tobacco 2.11% 3.44% 7.45%
SSE Utilities - Diversified 3.41% 3.75% 5.02%
National Grid Utilities - Regulated Electric 3.69% 3.89% 4.81%

Schroder Oriental Income Investment Trust - Asia Pacific Equity Income 2.48% 2.39% 4.39%
Caledonia Investment Trust - Flexible Investment 3.64% 5.71% 7.16%
RIT Capital Partners Investment Trust - Flexible Investment 2.20% 0.95% 1.98%
Alliance Trust Investment Trust - Global 4.57% 2.51% 2.51%
Scottish Mortgage IT Investment Trust - Global 3.38% 0.42% 0.57%
Murray International Investment Trust - Global Equity Income 3.64% 3.32% 4.17%
Murray Income Trust Investment Trust - Global Equity Income 3.08% 2.93% 4.34%
JP Morgan Global Growth Investment Trust - Global Equity Income 2.77% 0.65% 1.06%
3i Infrastructure Investment Trust - Infrastructure 3.43% 2.53% 3.36%
Finsbury Growth & Income Investment Trust - UK Equity Income 2.96% 1.34% 2.06%

Total Shares 94.83% 94.47% 4.55%

Single-share sector information taken from here - https://www.fidelity.co.uk/shares/ftse-350/company-share-prices/?p=0&c=1000

Investment Trust sector information taken from here -
https://www.theaic.co.uk/investment-company-screener

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Looked at this - a lot of overlap with my portfolio. Datapoint that struck me as odd/erroneous? is Caledonia yield.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 26th, 2023, 9:51 am

TUK020 wrote:Looked at this - a lot of overlap with my portfolio. Datapoint that struck me as odd/erroneous? is Caledonia yield.

The high yield is based on a special dividend which CLDN pay from time to time.

04/08/22: 175 pence

https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/ca ... /dividends

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 27th, 2023, 10:00 am

Thanks for the listing, IAAG plus info from Dod. A useful one to bookmark, I think.

There several substantial Dod holdings I've never had: Caledonian, RIT, Scottish Mortgage, Alliance Trust and the two Canadian banks. I suspect the biggest difference between us will be found in my HYP holdings and that, no doubt, causes my relative shortfall in income increase.

Sometimes, differences between portfolios are subtle and the advantages or otherwise can vary over time.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 5th, 2023, 8:27 pm

Reading through this thread a couple of weeks ago I didn't have any numbers, November is a bit too previous for my year end guesses. I'm adding this now as a marker to my own year end numbers.
My ISA is a closed box, no new money and although there's still a few payments to be declared it looks like 2023 will be slightly below 2022, around 3% below but that's clearly a backwards step as I have reinvested last year's income - even if all payments were flat I'd expect to inch up. Comparing month on month income it looks like I was behind after Q1 and hadn't recovered at the 6 or 12 month point. I also record a rolling 12 month total and I see I was at a maximum in April so my income amounts clearly ebb about.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 5th, 2023, 9:10 pm

kempiejon wrote:Reading through this thread a couple of weeks ago I didn't have any numbers, November is a bit too previous for my year end guesses. I'm adding this now as a marker to my own year end numbers.
My ISA is a closed box, no new money and although there's still a few payments to be declared it looks like 2023 will be slightly below 2022, around 3% below but that's clearly a backwards step as I have reinvested last year's income - even if all payments were flat I'd expect to inch up. Comparing month on month income it looks like I was behind after Q1 and hadn't recovered at the 6 or 12 month point. I also record a rolling 12 month total and I see I was at a maximum in April so my income amounts clearly ebb about.

I withdrew about 3% from my HYP this year, for roof repairs and my portfolio is still up a smidgeon on the year. In unitised terms, my accumulation units are up 0.61% while my income units are down -3.35% on the year. A lot can happen in 4 months, as I work on financial years, so ordinary dividends per unit are still down, about 17% with quite a lot of results yet to be declared. That excludes special dividends, and taking them into account the deficit over the previous 12 months is about 20%.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 5th, 2023, 9:14 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Thanks for the listing, IAAG plus info from Dod. A useful one to bookmark, I think.

There several substantial Dod holdings I've never had: Caledonian, RIT, Scottish Mortgage, Alliance Trust and the two Canadian banks. I suspect the biggest difference between us will be found in my HYP holdings and that, no doubt, causes my relative shortfall in income increase.

Sometimes, differences between portfolios are subtle and the advantages or otherwise can vary over time.

Arb.

From an income point of view, there is only a modest dividend from the likes of RIT, , Scottish Mortgage, and Caledonia although in 2022 it produced one of its typical special dividends which is what caused me the confusion with my 2022/2023 comparisons. Alliance used to be the same but in recent years they have been producing a more meaningful dividend. The two Canadian banks produce good and increasing dividends with a current yield around the 5% mark.
This year I have overcome the absence of the special from Caledonia and will end the year just ahead of 2022. I have already apologised for the confusion when I erroneously claimed a much better outcome.

Dod

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » December 6th, 2023, 11:49 am

UK distributions are now above the pre-covid high set in 2019.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » December 6th, 2023, 2:17 pm

I have a pretty good estimate of 2023 results now (barring the odd exchange rate to be announced):

HYP income per unit down -0.5%

IT portfolio income per unit up 1.2%

Then there is inflation of course.......

Not a great year......but better than HYP1 :lol:

FD

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » December 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm

My income for this year has surpassed last years. So far only one month was less that the same month in the previous year. This was down to the movement of a payout to a different month (increasing that month)

Some of the increases might be due to having more shares after reinvesting dividends. Additionally some shares have increased payouts.

There are some cutters. I might adjust my spreadsheet colour codes to highlight those that have increased payouts. It was a suggestion from someone on here.

I expect that the start of next year income will struggle to match initially. A share was sold share that paid in Jan and another that pays monthly is being taken over and is being forcibly sold. So until that latter money is redeployed I expect it might take a while to catch up. The ex Jan payer was redeployed.

I suppose it depends on any santa rally and what might be on offer once the cash is back with the broker. Normally there is a dip post new year so it might be feb/Mar time before reinvested.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 6th, 2023, 2:55 pm

Gerry557 wrote:My income for this year has surpassed last years. So far only one month was less that the same month in the previous year. This was down to the movement of a payout to a different month (increasing that month)

Some of the increases might be due to having more shares after reinvesting dividends. Additionally some shares have increased payouts.

There are some cutters. I might adjust my spreadsheet colour codes to highlight those that have increased payouts. It was a suggestion from someone on here.

I expect that the start of next year income will struggle to match initially. A share was sold share that paid in Jan and another that pays monthly is being taken over and is being forcibly sold. So until that latter money is redeployed I expect it might take a while to catch up. The ex Jan payer was redeployed.

I suppose it depends on any santa rally and what might be on offer once the cash is back with the broker. Normally there is a dip post new year so it might be feb/Mar time before reinvested.

I'm still adding money and reinvesting dividends. I'm ahead in cash terms, I'm ahead in terms of income per accumulation unit, so that accounts for the extra cash added to the portfolio, but am slightly down in terms of income units which means that the dividends received haven't increased enough to account for the reinvested dividends which should have increased the earning power of the portfolio. Mostly due I think to cut dividends from the miners and housebuilders plus I moved some cash in my taxable account to SMT as a holding place to avoid tax. The cash was because I bed and ISA'd some HY shares using new money in the ISA. Full report due early January.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » March 18th, 2024, 12:21 am

Just came accross this post. So as we are now in March 24 I can look up my dividend income. One of the benefits of Hargreaves. Very interesting it was too .

The SIPP which has had no new contributions for years, as I had Protection. The dividend worked out at 6.2%. Always reinvested

The ISA which has a 20k input each year for years had an incredable increase of 15%. Always reinvested.

My Taxable fund and share account did go down, as I use it as a feeder for the ISA and for my general expenses

All three accounts I think are now in the Red as far as capital value is concerned. A few years ago it was nearly all Blue. Now I tend to do things that are not normal. ( And I can see you all nodding now). I sell profit and buy income. I will take profit from one company and buy three others with better yields. For the past two years this tended to be IT's. Some Preference shares when down. They are surprisingly strong at present.

Since I found out the Unit Trust Industry is attacking ITs through the EU and UK Government, causing a dip in prices and in turn increases the yield I have been buying more. Today using Itsallaguess Jan 24 Yield Table I have identified 6 new IT's that I do not have. I will buy all of them tomorrow. I have been buying smaller amounts as the markets are high so it is unlikely to be more than 5k each although I do like to have round numbers. So the 30k in the SIPP will be flexible depending on individual share prices.

I am 78 so I no longer bother about Capital the ups and down. What I think I am creating is my own Annuity without losing all the capital. I am also in the interesting position that I am unlikely to ever use the SIPP or ISA. as the Taxable account should see me out.

I have about 130 plus investment items. I like to spread the load.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 18th, 2024, 4:50 pm

taken2often wrote:Just came accross this post. So as we are now in March 24 I can look up my dividend income. One of the benefits of Hargreaves. Very interesting it was too .

The SIPP which has had no new contributions for years, as I had Protection. The dividend worked out at 6.2%. Always reinvested

The ISA which has a 20k input each year for years had an incredable increase of 15%. Always reinvested.

My Taxable fund and share account did go down, as I use it as a feeder for the ISA and for my general expenses

All three accounts I think are now in the Red as far as capital value is concerned. A few years ago it was nearly all Blue. Now I tend to do things that are not normal. ( And I can see you all nodding now). I sell profit and buy income. I will take profit from one company and buy three others with better yields. For the past two years this tended to be IT's. Some Preference shares when down. They are surprisingly strong at present.

Since I found out the Unit Trust Industry is attacking ITs through the EU and UK Government, causing a dip in prices and in turn increases the yield I have been buying more. Today using Itsallaguess Jan 24 Yield Table I have identified 6 new IT's that I do not have. I will buy all of them tomorrow. I have been buying smaller amounts as the markets are high so it is unlikely to be more than 5k each although I do like to have round numbers. So the 30k in the SIPP will be flexible depending on individual share prices.

I am 78 so I no longer bother about Capital the ups and down. What I think I am creating is my own Annuity without losing all the capital. I am also in the interesting position that I am unlikely to ever use the SIPP or ISA. as the Taxable account should see me out.

I have about 130 plus investment items. I like to spread the load.

Surprised you are in Red re capital value, I have 23 holdings (mainly ITs but some shares) in my SIPP, I tend to play around a little with odd holdings , trim, sometimes sell etc (but usually because they have disappointed), my overall DIv Yield is currently circa 4.65%.

Out of 23 holdings, all mainly bought since 2020, 7 are in the red, 16 in the black, gains overall 12.85% (ITs tend to slant Asia/Pacific/US/North America- Asia and SMT have been the most painful part but at least SMT still in the black- only a 7% gain but better than it was)

Re dividends if I add the few still to come in pre 5/4/24 they are up circa 5.12% YOY, however I added 0.25% of new funds over the year in fresh contributions so at circa 4.65% yield that added next to nothing to that dividend yield increase, a mere 0.01% out of 5.12% (my pension contributions to the SIPP got cut when I started maxing my employer scheme so the new money is pretty insignificant though I did shovel in a few extra k during 21/22 and I still contribute monthly to my ISA, so very nearly a static portfolio)

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » March 18th, 2024, 11:16 pm

The capital values are in the red as I keep selling the profits. As I have been building up these portfolios for over 20 years buying all the time from re-circulated money. The overall capital has grown greatly over the years. Take the PIBS and PREFS at one point I was making a fantastic capital gains. Some I sold and bought out of favour IT's. As the markets started to recover PIBS and Prefs, are sold off by others. So I started buying years ago a 6% yield, then they would go to 8% yield then back down to 6%. Also when the yield goes to say 7% due to the variable prices that I paid, I can turn red, but have a great steady income.

The IT's seem to be a bit similar

The ordinary sharesare the ones that tend to have gains, so I sell them leaving the ones showing a loss. That is why I can have a sea of Red,but have a fantastic income to reinvest

At present for some reason the PIBBS and PREFS seem to be recovering, a bit unusual when the market is high, unless there are more people like me buying.

yieldhog
Lemon Slice

Postby yieldhog » March 20th, 2024, 5:27 pm

[
taken2often wrote:At present for some reason the PIBBS and PREFS seem to be recovering, a bit unusual when the market is high, unless there are more people like me buying.

It's what you would expect when interest rates appear to have peaked and are expected to fall. I recently bought some SHRS which has a lot of PIBS and Prefs in it's portfolio. If rates continue to fall I expect the SHRS price to recover by at least 10 -20% and while I wait I will be getting a dividend yield of around 6.6%. My other fixed income funds such as SMIF and NCYF have also made good recoveries this year and should continue to rise and continue to pay around 10% dividend yields.

Y

Return to “High Yield Shares & Strategies - General”