Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Boeing

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boeing

Postby scotia » March 22nd, 2022, 12:26 pm

airbus330 wrote:
scotia wrote:
Lootman wrote:It wasn't a MAX. The MAX has actually been flying again for a year now, without any incidents. How many years of further incident-free travel would convince you that it is now at least as safe as any other plane out there? And possibly safer with all the extra training, testing and refinements?

I don't believe that It (the MAX and earlier 737s) is as safe as any other plane out there. Its based on a very old design, and to retain a "look and feel" to previous models (to avoid the need for crew re-training) it does not have safety features of more modern aircraft. For example, it still uses a mechanical steel cable based system for the major flight controls - with no duplication. More modern Boeing aircraft and all Airbus aircraft use an electrical system with duplication. The 737 has no fuel dump system - in an emergency with a full fuel load, the plane must loiter, or land overweight. And during the two MAX crashes, the co-pilot had to thumb through large paper-based operating manuals in an attempt to find out what was happening. In more modern planes, such information is available on a touch screen display system. Although this is now mandatory in new aircraft, it is not required in updated models. Once again, this was deliberately missed out in the MAX so that the crew interface looked like the previous versions. So its probably as safe as aircraft built more than a decade ago, but certainly not as safe as current offerings from other manufacturers (e.g. Airbus).
And looking at the causes of the MAX crashes, I was completely astonished to discover that the software had a single point of failure which crucially depended on a faulty transducer - when this could simply have been avoided by checking the two transducers that were available.
What got Boeing into this mess? Could I advise the book "Flying Blind" by Peter Robison (ISBN 978-0-241-45557-9). The author believes that the decline was caused by the merger with McDonnell-Douglas, with the Boeing engineering philosophy being taken over by the McDonnel Douglas accountancy philosophy - in particular the worship of the late Jack Welch approach (at GE - who retired with a payment of $417M in 2001).
It is also worth reading to hear about the cost savings that were introduced by out-sourcing parts for the 787 Dreamliner, and moving the construction of the major parts to lower wage areas (with less skilled employees). Just Google "Dreamliner problems" - the problems keep coming. As late as February of this year the FAA stated that it will retain the authority to issue airworthiness certificates until it is confident that "Boeing's quality control and manufacturing processes consistently produce 787s that meet FAA design standards"

All 737 flight control systems are duplex hydraulic actuated by cable systems to the hydraulic power units. The cable system can also be used, in emergency, to directly actuate the flight control surfaces, split between the 2 pilots. So effectively a third redundancy. Even the 777 has the same. Its been the standard and safe system in airliners for 50yrs and is still in newly built small airliners. Boeing came later to fly by wire when Airbus were crashing their new hi tech planes at an alarming rate 25 yrs ago. FBW and pilot understanding of the flight management systems, is at the center of investigations for quite a few serious safety incidents just now.
Extremely few shorthaul aircraft have the facility to dump fuel. It isn't necessary as all current models can land with maximum fuel on board. The only reason to dump fuel is to lose weight on a very large aircraft so that it can land under its max structural weight. The 737 has a phenomenal safety record over its life.If it anecdotally seems to be in more crashes, it is because there are so many of them flying. Even some of the 60's ones are in service. The MAX issue is different and is the result of Boeing losing its way for various HR, Financial and Engineering reasons. "If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going" has a hollow ring to it today.

Thanks for your clarifications. To be clear, I'm an electrical engineer - not an aeronautical engineer. I have experience designing control systems to load power generators via hydraulic actuators, and designing intelligent databases to ensure that there is separation of routes to remote substations from a Control centre. All commands are transmitted electrically - no steel cables. So you will probably guess that I favour electrical fly by wire. :) However could you further clarify the cable systems to the hydraulic actuators, just in case I am mis-understanding their configuration. Is each control cable duplicated and separately routed - as I understand fly by wire systems are. If not - they are a single point of failure.
Yes I was aware that short haul aircraft did not normally require a fuel dump system, since historically they did not exceed the permitted MTOW to MLW (max takeoff to max landing weights) ratio, but I thought that the MAX had outgrown this. I realise now that the regulations (FAR 25.473) have been loosened, and aircraft can carry out an emergency landing at the maximum take off weight provided the descent velocity is less than 6fps, and is followed by an engineering check on the landing gear. I don't know if this is common. I guess you haven't tried it. :)
But getting back to Boeing - what's your opinion of the 787? I think I'd prefer an alternative.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » March 22nd, 2022, 1:31 pm

scotia wrote:
airbus330 wrote:
scotia wrote:
Lootman wrote:It wasn't a MAX. The MAX has actually been flying again for a year now, without any incidents. How many years of further incident-free travel would convince you that it is now at least as safe as any other plane out there? And possibly safer with all the extra training, testing and refinements?

I don't believe that It (the MAX and earlier 737s) is as safe as any other plane out there. Its based on a very old design, and to retain a "look and feel" to previous models (to avoid the need for crew re-training) it does not have safety features of more modern aircraft. For example, it still uses a mechanical steel cable based system for the major flight controls - with no duplication. More modern Boeing aircraft and all Airbus aircraft use an electrical system with duplication. The 737 has no fuel dump system - in an emergency with a full fuel load, the plane must loiter, or land overweight. And during the two MAX crashes, the co-pilot had to thumb through large paper-based operating manuals in an attempt to find out what was happening. In more modern planes, such information is available on a touch screen display system. Although this is now mandatory in new aircraft, it is not required in updated models. Once again, this was deliberately missed out in the MAX so that the crew interface looked like the previous versions. So its probably as safe as aircraft built more than a decade ago, but certainly not as safe as current offerings from other manufacturers (e.g. Airbus).
And looking at the causes of the MAX crashes, I was completely astonished to discover that the software had a single point of failure which crucially depended on a faulty transducer - when this could simply have been avoided by checking the two transducers that were available.
What got Boeing into this mess? Could I advise the book "Flying Blind" by Peter Robison (ISBN 978-0-241-45557-9). The author believes that the decline was caused by the merger with McDonnell-Douglas, with the Boeing engineering philosophy being taken over by the McDonnel Douglas accountancy philosophy - in particular the worship of the late Jack Welch approach (at GE - who retired with a payment of $417M in 2001).
It is also worth reading to hear about the cost savings that were introduced by out-sourcing parts for the 787 Dreamliner, and moving the construction of the major parts to lower wage areas (with less skilled employees). Just Google "Dreamliner problems" - the problems keep coming. As late as February of this year the FAA stated that it will retain the authority to issue airworthiness certificates until it is confident that "Boeing's quality control and manufacturing processes consistently produce 787s that meet FAA design standards"

All 737 flight control systems are duplex hydraulic actuated by cable systems to the hydraulic power units. The cable system can also be used, in emergency, to directly actuate the flight control surfaces, split between the 2 pilots. So effectively a third redundancy. Even the 777 has the same. Its been the standard and safe system in airliners for 50yrs and is still in newly built small airliners. Boeing came later to fly by wire when Airbus were crashing their new hi tech planes at an alarming rate 25 yrs ago. FBW and pilot understanding of the flight management systems, is at the center of investigations for quite a few serious safety incidents just now.
Extremely few shorthaul aircraft have the facility to dump fuel. It isn't necessary as all current models can land with maximum fuel on board. The only reason to dump fuel is to lose weight on a very large aircraft so that it can land under its max structural weight. The 737 has a phenomenal safety record over its life.If it anecdotally seems to be in more crashes, it is because there are so many of them flying. Even some of the 60's ones are in service. The MAX issue is different and is the result of Boeing losing its way for various HR, Financial and Engineering reasons. "If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going" has a hollow ring to it today.

Thanks for your clarifications. To be clear, I'm an electrical engineer - not an aeronautical engineer. I have experience designing control systems to load power generators via hydraulic actuators, and designing intelligent databases to ensure that there is separation of routes to remote substations from a Control centre. All commands are transmitted electrically - no steel cables. So you will probably guess that I favour electrical fly by wire. :) However could you further clarify the cable systems to the hydraulic actuators, just in case I am mis-understanding their configuration. Is each control cable duplicated and separately routed - as I understand fly by wire systems are. If not - they are a single point of failure.
Yes I was aware that short haul aircraft did not normally require a fuel dump system, since historically they did not exceed the permitted MTOW to MLW (max takeoff to max landing weights) ratio, but I thought that the MAX had outgrown this. I realise now that the regulations (FAR 25.473) have been loosened, and aircraft can carry out an emergency landing at the maximum take off weight provided the descent velocity is less than 6fps, and is followed by an engineering check on the landing gear. I don't know if this is common. I guess you haven't tried it. :)
But getting back to Boeing - what's your opinion of the 787? I think I'd prefer an alternative.

Hi, I'll have to put my hands up and say i spent 25 years flying the FBW Airbus and have a great deal of respect for it. It isn't perfect and lays traps for the unwary, but Airbus have made it incredibly robust, often from experiences that apparently can't happen....until they do. such is the way with wiggly amps! I have not flown the 737, but did do some of the groundschool many years ago. As I recall the 2 pilot control systems individually control each aileron but the system is linked by a chain system linking the flight controls, with each system having the capability of supplying the hyraulic power for full control. In the event of double hyd failure then the system is flyable without hyd power. Don't forget at high speed an airliner is mainly controlled in roll by the spoilers which are entirely hyd actuated. A similar system operates the elevators, with the trimmable stabiliser doing the job at high speed. Rudder is hyd actuated. I don't know how these systems are separated physically within the fuselage, but I have a friend who flies them and might know. You're quite correct about the landing weight stuff, but the Max, as far as I know, still doesn't have any issues landing overweight. I have landed a 321 overweight once (in 25years!), total non event, even the OW check was done in a very short time. It is something that is regularly practiced in the sim.
The whole Boeing saga is really sad. IMHO the fault lies with the leadership and the lax regulation by the FAA. When cost accountants outrank engineers its a recipe for disaster. AFAs the 787 is concerned, it sure has a different and worrying problem, but originating from the same corporate disease. That said, the A350 is having delamination issues too. Overall, my biggest worry is crew training and experience. And I choose my airline on that rather than the kit that it flies.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 7th, 2022, 4:51 am

A Boeing incident involving Air France over Paris.

Air France plane goes 'nuts' moments before Paris landing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... s-landing/

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » April 7th, 2022, 11:25 am

richfool wrote:A Boeing incident involving Air France over Paris.

Air France plane goes 'nuts' moments before Paris landing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... s-landing/

Jury is out on this one, but looking like yet another case of incorrect use/programming/understanding of the automatic navigation systems, followed by startle factor when the aircraft did something a lot different to what the pilots expected. Probably exacerbated by fatigue.
Common old Airbus comment "What's it doing now?"

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 17th, 2022, 4:58 pm

Another Boeing 737 incident. This one a 737 800 with Malaysian Airlines:

https://youtu.be/qaHyt8g2v2Q

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 27th, 2022, 1:47 am

Boeing sees a long road to recovery after heavy losses in defense business
Oct 26 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) on Wednesday warned its recovery from a crippling safety and economic crisis would take longer than expected after taking a $2.8-billion hit on loss-making defense contracts, sending its shares down sharply.
down 9% at $133.53 in afternoon trade.

Boeing losses mount on troubled Air Force One program
Boeing Chief Executive Dave Calhoun on Wednesday said "critics were right" to slam the planemaker's deal. Then President Donald Trump secured a promise from Calhoun's predecessor, Dennis Muilenburg, that the cost of replacing Air Force One would not exceed $4 billion.

I seem to recall somewhere in this thread saying it would take Boeing a decade to recover from the Max crashes. That may have been an ambitious comment. Their culture continues to languish in an area that's simply not good enough.

AiY(D)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 17th, 2023, 11:43 am

For those still with an interest in Boeing and it's 737 Max:

Boeing warns of 737 Max delays over quality problem

Boeing shares have tumbled more than 6% after the US plane-maker disclosed a manufacturing issue affecting its 737 Max planes.

The aviation giant said a supplier had revealed that the installation of fittings on the rear of the planes did not follow the standard.

Boeing said the problem was not an "immediate safety of flight issue".

But it warned it could lead to delivery delays.

"We regret the impact that this issue will have on affected customers and are in contact with them concerning their delivery schedule," the company said in a statement.

The latest problem comes as Boeing has been under intense scrutiny since two accidents in 2018 and 2019 involving its 737 Max planes killed 346 people.

Authorities said the accidents were triggered by design flaws in its flight control software. Boeing ultimately agreed a $2.5bn settlement with US authorities, who had accused the firm of concealing information from regulators about updates to the system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65271855

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 26th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Boeing’s problems and losses continue

The company reported a loss of $1.27 per share, excluding special, one-off charges and gains. Although that was an improvement from the $2.75 a share it lost on that basis a year earlier, it marked the seventh-straight quarter in which Boeing reported a loss, excluding one-time items.
Wall Street expects only narrow profits in the second half of the year, which are expected to leave Boeing with an annual loss for the fifth-straight year.

Currently trading at $210

AiY(D)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 16th, 2023, 3:47 pm

richfool wrote:For those still with an interest in Boeing and it's 737 Max:

Boeing warns of 737 Max delays over quality problem

Boeing shares have tumbled more than 6% after the US plane-maker disclosed a manufacturing issue affecting its 737 Max planes.

The aviation giant said a supplier had revealed that the installation of fittings on the rear of the planes did not follow the standard.

Boeing said the problem was not an "immediate safety of flight issue".

But it warned it could lead to delivery delays.

"We regret the impact that this issue will have on affected customers and are in contact with them concerning their delivery schedule," the company said in a statement.

The latest problem comes as Boeing has been under intense scrutiny since two accidents in 2018 and 2019 involving its 737 Max planes killed 346 people.

Authorities said the accidents were triggered by design flaws in its flight control software. Boeing ultimately agreed a $2.5bn settlement with US authorities, who had accused the firm of concealing information from regulators about updates to the system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65271855

As it happens I flew on a 737-MAX earlier this week, for the first time. A flawless flight. They have been back in the air now for about 30 months, and without incident as far as I am aware. Could be the safest plane in the sky at this point.

Meanwhile Boeing shares are around $220 each, well over double its MAX and Covid induced low of 2020. My cost basis is about $120 so I am happy enough.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 6th, 2024, 9:18 am

More problems!

"Alaska Airlines grounds 737 Max 9 planes after window blows out mid-air"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67899564

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 6th, 2024, 11:22 am

Good job no one was seated in that seat! Do not lean out of the window!

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67899564.amp

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... blows-out/

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 6th, 2024, 12:16 pm

Lootman wrote:As it happens I flew on a 737-MAX earlier this week, for the first time. A flawless flight. They have been back in the air now for about 30 months, and without incident as far as I am aware. Could be the safest plane in the sky at this point.

Or possibly not!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 6th, 2024, 1:23 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:As it happens I flew on a 737-MAX earlier this week, for the first time. A flawless flight. They have been back in the air now for about 30 months, and without incident as far as I am aware. Could be the safest plane in the sky at this point.

Or possibly not!

Safest? That ones got a blooming big hole in the side! Luckily this seat was unoccupied ( surprisingly unoccupied as it has extra leg room).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 6th, 2024, 5:49 pm

monabri wrote:Safest? That ones got a blooming big hole in the side! Luckily this seat was unoccupied ( surprisingly unoccupied as it has extra leg room).

The blow-out was unrelated to the Max problems of a few years ago, however.

A Southwest Air 737 had a window blow out a few years ago and it was not a MAX. Southwest only flies 737s (like Alaskan) and that was the only fatality in 50 years of flying them.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 6th, 2024, 5:54 pm

Do we even know this was a window blowout? True it is being reported as such, but it looks a bloody big window to me!

Could this have originally been a window blowout which resulted in a fuselage panel then being torn off, or was it the panel that blew out carrying a passenger cabin window with it?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 6th, 2024, 7:43 pm

XFool wrote:Do we even know this was a window blowout? True it is being reported as such, but it looks a bloody big window to me!

Could this have originally been a window blowout which resulted in a fuselage panel then being torn off, or was it the panel that blew out carrying a passenger cabin window with it?

It's an unused emergency exit. Not needed as the plane in question was configured to carry less passengers. If changed by increasing seating density, this exit could have been used. To prevent unintended access to the opening mechanism, an interior panel was fitted over the door.

Apparently the entire door came away; there is no sign of anything being wrenched or torn.

The usual good summary here...

https://youtu.be/I9EvHpf8jZg?si=AoqFs9et3TO8QFRy

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 7th, 2024, 12:06 am

Apparently, Boeing have already dispatched a team of 20 accountants to investigate.

(Credit pprune.org for that one!!)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 7th, 2024, 6:38 pm

monabri wrote:Luckily this seat was unoccupied ( surprisingly unoccupied as it has extra leg room).

Having flown just before Christmas in a left-side window seat with extra legroom on an Alaskan 737MAX to California - this was a bit close to home.

But I was in the "ordinary" block of seats spaced to give extra legroom - because those seats by the exit are a lot more expensive despite only having 2" more legroom, they dress them up with free food/drink etc which isn't really worth it on a short flight.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 7th, 2024, 9:00 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
monabri wrote:Luckily this seat was unoccupied ( surprisingly unoccupied as it has extra leg room).

Having flown just before Christmas in a left-side window seat with extra legroom on an Alaskan 737MAX to California - this was a bit close to home.

But I was in the "ordinary" block of seats spaced to give extra legroom - because those seats by the exit are a lot more expensive despite only having 2" more legroom, they dress them up with free food/drink etc which isn't really worth it on a short flight.

Alaskan is a good airline in my opinion, and for a few reasons:

1) If you are flying in First you get to use the pre-flght lounge, even if using miles. Oddly United, American and Delta do not allow that. No other US airline offers First. Or lounges, to my knowledge, not even JetBlue on flights to London in Mint class.

2) The Alaskan frequent flyer scheme is widely regarded as the best in the US. And it is part of Oneworld, along with BA etc.

3) For safety, it is the highest ranked US airline

4) That free food and drink you didn't want is actually quite good by US standards. Earlier this year I had a cheeseplate and two (small) bottles of red wine on a 90 minute SEA-SFO flight.

OTOH it has no widebody planes and does not have a strong route structure in the east. 737 only.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2024, 8:34 am

Lootman wrote:Alaskan is a good airline in my opinion, and for a few reasons:

3) For safety, it is the highest ranked US airline

News just in: The plane had been withdrawn from long sea routes because of pressurisation warnings over a period of nearly a month: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67909417 :|

More about the pressurisation warnings at https://news.sky.com/story/teacher-find ... t-13043876 (near the end of the article)

BJ

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”