Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Boeing

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Boeing

Postby richfool » February 19th, 2020, 7:40 am

Boeing's crisis-hit 737 Max jetliner faces a new potential safety issue as debris has been found in the fuel tanks of several new planes which were in storage, awaiting delivery to airlines.

The head of Boeing's 737 programme has told employees that the discovery was "absolutely unacceptable".

A Boeing spokesman said the company did not see the issue further delaying the jet's return to service.

It comes as the 737 Max remains grounded after two fatal crashes.

The US plane maker said it discovered so-called "Foreign Object Debris" left inside the wing fuel tanks of several undelivered 737 Maxs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51499777

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 19th, 2020, 6:29 pm

19th February 2020
Boeing heads to court to oppose release of 737 MAX documents

Boeing Co (BA.N) heads to court on Wednesday to dispute a request from lawyers representing victims of a 737 MAX crash for documents related to the aircraft’s design, development and two fatal disasters involving the now-grounded plane.

They're not entirely sorry then are they?

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 20th, 2020, 6:08 pm

20th February 2020
Boeing could lose state tax break amid tariff fight

US lawmakers are taking steps to remove a tax break for Boeing that is at the centre of a fight between the European Union and the US.

Boeing, Victims' Lawyers Agree To Hold Conference Call Over Access To 737 MAX Documents
Boeing Co and lawyers representing the families of the crash victims agreed to hold a conference with NTSB over the access of the documents related to 737 MAX.

Boeing Bags Five-year U.S. Air Force Contract For Undisclosed Amount
Amid the ongoing troubles with its 737 MAX commercial planes grounding since March 2019, Boeing (BA) has secured a five-year U.S. Air Force contract to sustain and modernize the Global Decision Support System, or GDSS. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 22nd, 2020, 8:22 am

22nd February 2020
Boeing to expand 737 Max inspections, sources say

Teams looking in the fuel tanks of brand new Boeing 737 Max planes for foreign object debris will expand their inspections, sources familiar with the checks told CNBC on Friday.

Federal prosecutors investigating if Boeing misled FAA over 737 Max
Prosecutors in recent months focused on whether a top pilot at the company lied to the regulator about flight control software

Boeing Suspends Co-Workers of Pilot at Center of Max Scrutiny
Boeing Co. put three employees who worked with the former chief technical pilot of the 737 Max on administrative leave as a federal grand jury investigates whether he intentionally misled the Federal Aviation Administration about a software system tied to two deadly crashes, people familiar with the matter said.

Air Force says Boeing has ‘different level of intensity’ on KC-46 fixes
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said this week that the Boeing Co. is closing in on a fix for one of the biggest issues still vexing the KC-46 tanker.

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 25th, 2020, 10:49 pm

25th February 2020
Three U.S. Senate Democrats propose sweeping reforms after Boeing 737 MAX crashes

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three Democratic U.S. senators on Tuesday introduced sweeping legislation to reform how new airplanes are certified and overseen by U.S. regulators after two fatal Boeing 737 MAX crashes killed 346 people.

Boeing Gets $5 Billion 787 Dreamliner Order From ANA, Largest Japan Carrier
Japan's ANA Holdings (ALNPY) said Tuesday that it would buy 15 Boeing (BA) - Get Report 787 Dreamliner jets valued at $5 billion at list prices, marking the first commercial order announcement this year for the Chicago aerospace giant. Boeing shares at last check were off 2.3% to $310.49.

Boeing’s Board Needs Overhaul, Not Rejiggering
When Boeing Co. CEO David Calhoun was asked last month how he would fix the 737 Max crisis as a long-time insider, he bristled at the label, telling reporters, “I watched the same movie you did.”

AiYn'U

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » February 26th, 2020, 4:27 am

This is a fascinating thread, even though I don't own any Boeing.

There was an FT podcast that I thought gave an excellent summary of the situation and how it happened as well as looking forward.

https://www.ft.com/content/a011e6d4-bc8 ... 9fb0143cc1
Should be available even without an FT subscription

Or search for FT Behind the Money: How Boeing plans to return the Max to the skies on iTunes or similar

torata

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 26th, 2020, 7:52 pm

26th February 2020
Boeing didn’t perform full end-to-end test of its astronaut capsule before troubled mission, ‘surprising’ NASA safety panel

In the weeks since Boeing flew its astronaut capsule on an ill-fated demo flight, questions about the company’s testing procedures prior to the mission have started to emerge — putting safety at the center of a debate on the future of human spaceflight.

Boeing nominates new Directors
Boeing: Nominees bring significant safety, engineering, software and financial experience

Boeing announces 6 new directors to succeed 6 retired board directors
Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] Board of Directors has announced the nominations of Steve Mollenkopf and Akhil Johri to be elected as directors, the company said.
The board also announced independent directors Edward Liddy and Mike Zafirovski will not stand for re-election and will retire from board service at the meeting.

The fix is in: Kenneth Feinberg to oversee payouts to Boeing crash victims
The selection of Feinberg to oversee both funds was approved by Boeing’s executives with good reason. As Wall Street’s preeminent corporate “fixer,” he has repeatedly been called upon to protect the interests of the country’s corporate and political elite.

Boeing scours idle 737 MAX plant for industrial snags
“The objective is to ensure a healthy and stable system that is ready for resuming production and increasing rates at the appropriate time,” the spokesman, Bernard Choi, said.

Will the Boeing repeal push lawmakers into overtime?
But a bill to repeal the tax break contains a provision to give it back if the company successfully settles differences with the World Trade

FAA wants detailed inspections, fixes of engine panels on Boeing 737 Max
A growing list of issues must be resolved before the jet resumes service

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 27th, 2020, 8:31 pm

27th February 2020
Boeing Is Said to Reach Accord With 737 MAX Engine Suppliers

As part of the agreement, all the engines that are going to be delivered in 2020 will be fully paid for. Additionally, Boeing will cover payments for engines that were delivered in 2019.

Is this as bad as I think?

AiYn'U

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 27th, 2020, 9:47 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:27th February 2020

As part of the agreement, all the engines that are going to be delivered in 2020 will be fully paid for. Additionally, Boeing will cover payments for engines that were delivered in 2019.

AiYn'U

Probably not. It's in Boeing's interest not to make even more enemies than it already has, particularly if they might be wanting to get some form of government assistance.

RC

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 27th, 2020, 10:52 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:27th February 2020

AiYn'U

Probably not. It's in Boeing's interest not to make even more enemies than it already has, particularly if they might be wanting to get some form of government assistance.

RC

Yes. I'm not looking at Boeing in any light from a government "rescue". Perhaps I should factor that into my thoughts. I've ruled it out simply based on the math[s], albeit I am not entirely sure how the US could justify "nationalisation" without effectively voiding trade deals/rules.

I was looking more from the Boeing/supply chain angle. Most of Boeings suppliers cannot sell elsewhere. Their symbiotic relationship relies on Boeing surviving. My thoughts were more aligned with cost. It's possible that this engine supplier has insisted on "payment pro-forma" as it believes Boeings credit rating is as good a bu99ered already. In other words it's not relying upon credit rating agencies to downgrade Boeing - it already believes they aren't a safe bet for credit.

I've followed events for some time now. I hasten to add that doesn't make me an expert. But from the outset I could "sniff" a culture issue. This company has failed to face the truth. It's not manned up to it's failings or shortfalls. It's top down denial has lead it to a point of self destruction. And now it's turned to the only thing the US can do - it's paying top lawyers to manage the fall out. Classic American clean up.

What next ... the board have already started to be thinned. The pay offs for simulators has been brought in. The shareholders have been retained by dividend payments. The honesty box has been re-opened by "fessing" up to debris in fuel tanks.

All, in my opinion, nothing more than red herrings.

And in all of this Boeing want us to "conveniently" forget the deaths of 346 people. Most of whom were not US citizens.

In aviation terms the Max is the most unsafe vehicle to "fly". Let's not hide behind the guff that Boeing want us to absorb. Hell no .... let's look at the flying hours versus the "accidents".

Did Boeing put sales before safety?
Did Boeing "bully" employees at all levels to "buy in" to the sales before safety pitch?
Did Boeing abuse their position of trust?
Did Boeing have a conscience?

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 6th, 2020, 10:02 pm

6th March 2020
Congressional panel says Boeing has 'culture of concealment'

A congressional committee says a “culture of concealment” at Boeing and poor oversight by federal regulators contributed to two deadly crashes involving the 737 Max jetliner

Ryanair passengers nervous about travelling on Boeing 737 Max plane can get ‘full refund’
U-turn for Europe’s biggest budget carrier – Mr O’Leary previously said passengers would “love” the beleaguered aircraft model.

Titters :roll:

AiYn'U

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 9th, 2020, 5:39 pm

For those of you with a Boeing interest here is the interim Ethiopian incident investigation report.

p77 - p81 is relevant to the 737-NG as well as to the 737-MAX

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/6 ... 9-2020.pdf

(edit, 17:45 : the reason it is relevant to the NG as well as to the MAX is because the NG introduced some larger competer/etc screens. In turn this meant that the NG's trim wheel was made smaller, and the forces the pilots needed to exert on the system therefore become larger. That was carried over from the NG into the MAX. This is a separate issue to the MCAS failure, but is relevant when considering commercial & regulatory issues which may affect all the NG's in service.)

regards, dspp

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 9th, 2020, 9:17 pm

9th MArch 2020
Boeing share price dives as regulator rejects 737 Max wiring plan

Shares initially plunged over 10 per cent before recovering slightly, but the US firm was still down eight seven per cent by the mid-afternoon.

AiYn'U

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 9th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Do any of the followers of the Boeing story have a view on Airbus, if so help desirable - please contribute at : viewtopic.php?f=8&p=289526#p289526

regards, dspp

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 12th, 2020, 10:17 pm

12th March 2020
Boeing Price Targets Cut in Wake of $14 Billion Loan Draw-Down

Boeing is reportedly fully drawing down its nearly $14 billion loan facility over the near term, and analysts at Barclays, Canaccord and JPMorgan on Thursday all published notes on the company
Along with the company's $1 billion quarterly dividend, Barclays estimates that Boeing will need about $4 billion in new debt to hold its quarterly cash balance near $10 billion.

I've used the term staggering in the past to describe the sums of money Boeing has managed to get through not to get the Max back in the air. For my mind, if this report is true then I would suggest Boeing is in a world of trouble, far in excess than I had imagined. I've also suggested in the past that one more bump in the road could be extremely painful. And C19 has shown up. Disastrous.

But my thoughts aren't important. The share price is though

Boeing shares at last check fell 15% to $160.65.

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm

15th March 2020
US probes large crack in Boeing 737 jet

The fissure, discovered in an aircraft flown by budget carrier Southwest, is at the center of a new air safety scandal. The US airline has faced criticism for not conducting mandatory inspections on some of its planes.

More to do with the airline not carrying out mandatory checks

Economic heavyweight Boeing hammered by dual crises
According to AFP banking sources, the aircraft manufacturer drew on the full $14 billion (C$19.38 billion) credit line it only just secured from banks last month
The pandemic poses the most serious crisis for the airline industry since the terrorist attacks of September 11, and likely will cause airlines to postpone their purchases of planes, and even cancel orders.

AiYn'U

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 16th, 2020, 9:59 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:15th March 2020
US probes large crack in Boeing 737 jet

The fissure, discovered in an aircraft flown by budget carrier Southwest, is at the center of a new air safety scandal. The US airline has faced criticism for not conducting mandatory inspections on some of its planes.

AiYn'U

I'm not sure that the airline is the problem. This appears to be a crownskin issue pertaining to one aircraft only that can be traced to a manufacturing repair during initial build that was not done as well as it could have been.
https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/630 ... -737s.html

regards, dspp

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 16th, 2020, 11:39 am

Might the current crises be an opportunity for Boeing to quietly retire its B 737 Max along with many other planes in its fleet. The future for air travel looks bleak for at least 18 months.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

richfool wrote:Might the current crises be an opportunity for Boeing to quietly retire its B 737 Max along with many other planes in its fleet. The future for air travel looks bleak for at least 18 months.

Right now it's got more legs than trying to put the vehicle back into service :roll:

Boeing have nowhere to go currently in my opinion. There are still arguments being held over the forum that is the internet saying the US Government cannot allow Boeing to fail. I've never argued and never will argue against that point. But protecting national interests is not the same as protecting shareholders. In any scenario where the US steps in to save Boeing the shareholders are, in my opinion, toast.

There isn't one shred of good news ahead for Boeing. Rough and dirty figures suggest they have ten months in the tank at a burn rate of $1bn per month. But their supply chain will fail well before that. Sales aren't going to be good for any of the two main manufacturers as the airlines will be swimming in issues of their own.

I thought it was bad up to now - its way past that now.

AiYn'U

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » March 17th, 2020, 1:04 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:....There are still arguments being held over the forum that is the internet saying the US Government cannot allow Boeing to fail. I've never argued and never will argue against that point. But protecting national interests is not the same as protecting shareholders. In any scenario where the US steps in to save Boeing the shareholders are, in my opinion, toast.

The share price is now down to $130. Painful and worrying for shareholders.

As a crude approximation, isn't Boeing two businesses? Armaments and Civil Aviation?

What is to stop a split, followed by a Chapter 11 for the Civil Aviation bit? Protecting the US national interests.

Just an idle thought.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”