Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sylvania Platinum Limited

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Sylvania Platinum Limited

Postby Carcosa » December 7th, 2019, 10:11 am

Am posting here on the Share Ideas forum rather than the Mining Forum because I see this as a potential short-term (<12 months) value play due, in part, the analyst issuing woefully low forecasts (and if someone can explain to me why that analyst may be correct then please do so!)

Anyway, coincidentally to my own research and purchase @EricUKinvestor (Twitter) also provided his own analysis and urge you to read that first here ; mostly because it eloquently coincides with my views and provides a fair chunk of financial analysis, but I do add my own research below too!

The overall investment thesis is that the share price is extraordinarily low, even after taking into account all of the known downside risks, of which there are many. Doing that, leaves a potential gain of at least 50% and 150-200% upside if normal business is maintained. So let's get started:

(Am assuming you have read the above linked analysis so I'm not going to repeat that here but see the following as a pictorial addendum to Eric's views)

The basics are that the company largely acquires precious metals from the tailings of miners. In terms of production the following chart shows the percentage of each primary metal obtained through production:

In terms of revenue the amount produced depends on the commodity price of those metals. SInce the end June 2019 Financial Year those spot prices have changed as per the following chart.

That roughly translates into the following ADDITIONAL revenue streams i.e. over and above the $70.5 revenue booked last FY

In terms of cash my estimate would give rise to the following, but note this is a very 'ball park' estimate by me and could potentially be significantly more depending on various production and finance factors. Indeed I have seen some people suggest $70m is the likely figure.

With reference to Electrical load shedding and water shortages which South Africa is 'enjoying' at the moment, and has done over several years, it's worthwhile seeing what the actual quarterly production figures have been. It should be remembered though that in recent months capex expenditure has been spent on reducing the impact of these external factors.

Image Click for larger graph, can't find anything bang up to date but until recently there were no outages at all since End June.

So overall (and again I urge you to read Eric review) the downside risks, of which there are many, are in reality considerably over compensated for by the share price.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sylvania Platinum Limited

Postby johnhemming » December 7th, 2019, 10:13 am

I have some of these as well as other miners (Ferrexpo, Pan African) they do seem quite cheap at the moment.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » December 7th, 2019, 10:25 am

As a general comment, Simon Thompson on the Investors Chronicle podcast also recommended Sylvania Platinum (SLP) as a value play a few weeks ago with a more realistic share price of (I think) about 60p. The underlying demand of the Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium they produce should continue according to his article. I hold a small amount of SLP.

Cheers, OLTB.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » December 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

Just read the ‘Eric’ review and see that he mentions the IC report so apologies for that :oops:

Cheers, OLTB.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 7th, 2019, 12:00 pm

I picked it up from the paper IC

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on what looks a very cheap share, but one of the first things I normally do for a company I am unfamiliar with is to look at the 10 year chart. Of course, Sylvania only listed in 2011 but the chart has a "lovely" bathtub shape, so I'd need to understand why the post IPO performance was so poor and why the share price could not go back to where it was at the bottom of the bathtub i.e. sub 7p.

This is just an observation as I have lost more money on small resource stocks over the years than I care to remember so I don't even go there any more as it's simply not worth it on a risk adjusted return basis. If only I'd put that money into Unilever...

All the best, Si

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 7th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Extraction shares tend to move with the underlying commodity price. Hence it is only when the commodity price goes down and stays there that the underlying business has problems (beyond running out of the commodity or some other hazard).

I am generally inclined to wait until the price goes back up again rather than sell because of a stop or something.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 8th, 2019, 10:49 am

johnhemming wrote:Extraction shares tend to move with the underlying commodity price. Hence it is only when the commodity price goes down and stays there that the underlying business has problems (beyond running out of the commodity or some other hazard).

Obviously the underlying commodity price is key to any investment in a mining company. The trouble is, as I understand it from what I have read in the Tumblr article linked above, this company does not extract anything and are totally dependent on a single source of material from another miner for the products they sell. They are a scavenger and not masters of their own destiny. It appears the commodity they use to scavenge platinum family metals from is not related, so their business is subject to the price of two different commodities dependent on different end markets. So in theory, whilst the price of their output product may be strong, the price of their input commodity could tank and their supplier could stop production as it is uneconomic to do so i.e. the cash cost of extracting material becomes higher than the commodity price.

That makes an investment in this company far riskier than a conventional miner. Although it looks cheap, IMHO the potential upside mentioned is a long way from being sufficient compared to the downside, and on a risk adjusted basis it actually looks a poor investment. Some companies always look cheap and there is normally always a good reason for it.

All the best, Si

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 8th, 2019, 11:53 am

You are obviously right in terms of it being the processing of tailings. I suppose this is where risk return comes in. I am happy enough given that I don't have a large holding, but whether I would go for any more is a further question.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm

johnhemming wrote:You are obviously right in terms of it being the processing of tailings. I suppose this is where risk return comes in. I am happy enough given that I don't have a large holding, but whether I would go for any more is a further question.

The trouble is, the Tumblr link whilst being informative for someone unfamiliar with the company like myself, is deeply flawed in comparing the P/E of this company with that of other small miners many of whom own the resources they extract to make profit. It assumes that the two things are equivalent and they're not. Buying cyclical companies like miners on low P/Es near the top of a cycle is not generally a good idea and it's widely accepted the time to buy is actually when they are on high P/Es near the bottom of the cycle. I'd say we're likely nearer the top of an economic cycle than the bottom right now.

I personally avoid scavenging businesses in all their various forms whether they be ambulance chasing lawyers, suppliers of rental cars to insurance companies, component suppliers heavily reliant on a single customer like Apple, or a mining company that does not have access to it's own resource deposits. When things go wrong at such companies, they usuallly go wrong in a very big way. Having said that, the balance sheet of Sylvania looks rock solid - excuse the pun! :)

All the best, Si

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » December 9th, 2019, 4:11 am

simoan,

There are so many flaws in your views with respect to this company, that I don't know where to start! However you have your own views and if they work well for you, as I suspect they do given I have known you over the internet for many years, then so be it. 'Overall' I tend to agree with your sentiments in 'general' but with respect to the specifics of Sylvania Platinum in the short term then I think you are very much incorrect.

Cheers
Carcosa

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 9th, 2019, 9:01 am

Carcosa wrote:simoan,

There are so many flaws in your views with respect to this company, that I don't know where to start! However you have your own views and if they work well for you, as I suspect they do given I have known you over the internet for many years, then so be it. 'Overall' I tend to agree with your sentiments in 'general' but with respect to the specifics of Sylvania Platinum in the short term then I think you are very much incorrect.

Cheers
Carcosa

===============================

make a start - please !! its an interesting discussion.

:)

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » December 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

Read Eric's post, top up with my pretty charts, read the Investors website incl Corporate Presentation, and last two annual reports and if you want to do more digging around (get that? ;-) ) outside those resources that would be good too. It's called "Do Your Own Research" (DYOR) Stop being spoon fed everything and work for it. THEN we can have a discussion if you so choose but don't expect me to do your work for you.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 9th, 2019, 9:40 am

Carcosa wrote:simoan,

Cheers
Carcosa

Carcosa,

To be honest, this is a bit of a cop out and as you introduced this company to the Shares Idea forum you should point out any flaws in counter arguments. BTW If your post was in the Mining forum I would never have seen it so you have somewhat raised it's profile by doing so. Am I wrong that the company does not extract any resources of it's own and is totally reliant on tailing from a Chrome producer called Samancor? I thought I'd made a reasonable point that this means it is also reliant on the Chrome price, which neither you or the Tumblr article did in your bear points.

If the Chrome price falls (as it has been doing!) then surely the amount of input material from Samancor will very likely fall, and in the very worst case it could fall to zero should Samancor chrome production become uneconomic. I am not saying that is likely to happen but the SA chrome price is down 25% in the last year according to this website: http://www.asianmetal.com/ChromeOrePrice/ChromeOre.html My understanding is that Chrome production is largely dependent on steel production in China.

In fact you will also see the latest news from Samancor: http://www.asianmetal.com/news/data/152 ... 0in%202020

I think you need to let us all know why a decrease in input product would not reduce the amount of output product, and hence the revenues of Sylvania.

All the best, Si

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » December 10th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I picked up some of these shares in Jan 19 I think based on an IC recommendation. Since then they have increased in value by over 70% and paid a 2.2% dividend. I am very happy with this performance and have no intention of selling in the forseeable.
MM

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » December 15th, 2019, 8:44 am

simoan wrote: BTW If your post was in the Mining forum I would never have seen it so you have somewhat raised it's profile by doing so.

Raising the profile of the company as a short term investment was the reason for posting it here. The post was an attempt (I guess poorly executed by me) to highlight the fact that the safety margin with this share is huge i.e. minimal downside risk and is more akin to a value play than a mining investment.

simoan wrote: Am I wrong that the company does not extract any resources of it's own and is totally reliant on tailing from a Chrome producer called Samancor?
For practical purposes you are correct. Although if I was promoting this as a long term mining share to be invested in then I would point out that it has two potential mines of its own; however one is being sold (as highlighted in my cash estimate chart in an earlier post) and the other one is at the permitting stage so some way off being a useful production asset. [/quote]

simoan wrote: I thought I'd made a reasonable point that this means it is also reliant on the Chrome price, which neither you or the Tumblr article did in your bear points.

If the Chrome price falls ...and in the very worst case it could fall to zero should Samancor chrome production become uneconomic... but the SA chrome price is down 25% in the last year according to this website...

Well, splitting hairs perhaps, but it is the price of Chromite Concentrate and to a much larger degree Ferrochrome that is the subject but I take your point. The pricing is not so important to SLP as is the production. Changes in the pricing of Chromite/Ferrochrome has no serious impact on SLP unless it affects production at Samancor.

Lets take a step back and look at the wider picture. South Africa has over 70% of the world's Chromite reserves. South Africa produces 49% of the world's Chrome ore production. Samancor Chrome is the second largest ferrochrome producer in the world.

Since Samancor became a private it has become almost impossible to find current data regarding its production/business. However they did recently announce a cut in production, but by how much has not been stated. Now you can get into a lot of speculation here but it would perhaps make more sense that there production cuts would be aimed at reducing costs (especially electrical costs as that is a major item) and as such you could speculate they would reduce mining of lower grade material and concentrate on higher grade material. For SLP this would imply an increase in production of PGM as recovery factors would be greater from a lower volume of material. But.. all this is pure speculation left to the real mining experts.

Given that SLP are are two weeks away from completing their first two quarters of the FY you have to ask yourself if Samancor are going to be in such bad shape that they need to severely curtail production to such an extent that it is going to have a material effect on SLP and analyst views. I would suggest that any effect on SLP will have minimal impact on this years' revenues.

simoan wrote:I think you need to let us all know why a decrease in input product would not reduce the amount of output product, and hence the revenues of Sylvania.

To summarise. Already practically through H1 already. Q1 production was materially higher than annualised forecast. PGM prices have continued to climb. A reduction in Samancor's production rate allows SLP to either/and continue using the tailings reserves or the material received from Samancor may in fact contain higher concentrations of PGM.

What is apparent is that Chrome ore and Ferrochrome pricing is highly cyclical. Page 5 of https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/xx ... romite.pdf shows just how quickly things can change when affirmative action is taken.

So lets assume an absolute catastrophe scenario and see where we end up in forecast revenue terms:

Production (oz)
Q1 20,797 (Actual)
Q2 17,000 (Let's say for sake of argument an 18% reduction)
Q3 10,000 (52% reduction over Q1)
Q4 10,000 (52% reduction over Q1)
Total ~57,000
Plug in the commodity pricing and that equates to over $90m revenue; which is still some 20% higher than analyst forecasts!

The last time SLP produced at these levels was back in 2015 prior to new equipment being installed and various optimisation practices. It is also worth noting that In 2015, chrome ore prices collapsed because of a sharp downturn in the Chinese economy, contracting the demand for stainless steel. This prompted many South African chrome producers to cut production and undertake care and maintenance programs at their mines. In practice it did not result in a catastrophe for SLP.

But in reality, production is more likely to be around 70,000 (which even I, a pessimist, is below their 74-76,000 guidance)

I refer back to the whole idea of a short term investment in SLP. The downside risk is negligible given current PGM commodity pricing, already completed production and near term future outlook.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 16th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Hi Carcosa,

Thanks for the response. On the face of it, the valuation seems too good to be true - the market rarely gives out pound coins for 50p with big safety margins, which is the argument you are making basically. I'm more into what others might call "business perspective investing" these days and so valuation in itself is not the be all and end all. Management integrity and corporate governance form a large part of my approach so I have no dog in this fight as it breaks several of my rules:

1. Sylvania is a small AIM listed company headquartered in a well-known tax haven (Bermuda).
2. It has only one executive director, the CEO, and three NED's - is that appropriate for a £100m market cap?
3. It recently bought back 4.2m shares into Treasury at 42p, including nearly 1.2m sold by insiders (not the four directors).
4. A month ago the directors decided to help themselves to 275,000 shares for no apparent reason - nice work, Happy Xmas! :)
5. Considering this is so cheap there has surprisingly been no declarable institutional buying since July 2018. The only recent announcement has been Majedie Investments reducing their holding by over 5% a month ago. Therefore I assume much of the daily volume is from private investors?

I realise none of these points may matter if you are proposing only a 12 month holding period, apart from maybe the last point as it's going to need buyers, and preferably institutional buyers, to see the kind of price appreciation you anticipate. I wish you all the best with it.

All the best, Si

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » December 17th, 2019, 8:22 am

1. Tax haven or not they are paying tax in South Africa at their standard rate of 30%
2. In accordance with Rule 26 of the AIM Rules for Companies (July 2018), they have adopted the UK's Quoted Companies Alliance Corporate Governance Code for Small and Mid-Size Quoted Companies (the "QCA Code"). It is only recently they have achieved 100m mkt cap; and it can quite easily fall to a small micro cap in a few short years given rapid changes in commodity pricing.
3.I have no comment
4. The purchase and use of the shares was explained in P19 of the AR
5. I suspect that an II is offloading some shares, perhaps Majedie and/or M&G. There has been 2.25m shares traded recently. I would hazard a guess that long term holders Majedie may be wanting to crystallise some/all gains and/or M&G need to raise cash to satisfy their recent redemption problems. Either way, it is not helpful!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 17th, 2019, 11:28 am

Carcosa wrote:1. Tax haven or not they are paying tax in South Africa at their standard rate of 30%

The point I was trying to make was not that they were avoiding taxation. We all know there are other "benefits" of registering in a very lightly regulated offshore territory like Bermuda, and combined with the light regulation on AIM, it increases risk.

Carcosa wrote:2. In accordance with Rule 26 of the AIM Rules for Companies (July 2018), they have adopted the UK's Quoted Companies Alliance Corporate Governance Code for Small and Mid-Size Quoted Companies (the "QCA Code"). It is only recently they have achieved 100m mkt cap; and it can quite easily fall to a small micro cap in a few short years given rapid changes in commodity pricing.

The point is they are doing the bare minimum possible again. I have never owned a company (even sub £30m market cap) that only had a single executive director. It seems they have no plans to improve corporate governance either, so yet another risk factor.

Carcosa wrote:4. The purchase and use of the shares was explained in P19 of the AR

Yes, I had read P19 as well as Note 27. The Bonus share plan for which the 4.2m shares were bought and held in Treasury does not vest until August 2020. Here's the RNS I referred to: https://www.investegate.co.uk/sylvania- ... 00037672S/ These shares do not relate to any performance related share plan unless this information has been left off of the RNS. The remuneration committee consists of two of the NED's. It seems they decided to just help themselves and their two chums to 275,000 shares from Treasury as some kind of Xmas bonus.

Good luck!
All the best, Si

Carcosa
Lemon Slice

Postby Carcosa » January 31st, 2020, 8:21 am

Following today's Q2 update which exceeds my expectations regarding production volumes, costs and just about everything else; including their forward looking statement, I have update my charts. My original charts were posted at the beginning of this forum/thread.

First, Revenue which I see as up by 64% compared to 2019. The last broker note I had was for $75.4m but I see other forecasts have them at $88m

Next is production volumes. Q1 and Q2 are already in. Their year start target was 72k oz (low end). To achieve that they require an average of 17000 oz for Q3 & Q4. A substantial reduction over Q1 and Q2. The 16,500oz figure is my working assumption.

My year end cash prediction follows. It's an additional $7m over my initial estimate. There is always the risk that the Grasvally sale my fall through though. On the other hand, CAPEX to date has been below forecast

Wirth noting that metal prices have increase substantially at the start of Q3

At the end of the day, take those numbers and imagine what the market cap should be, even discounting for all the various negative factors. Would you in all seriousness expect as of CoB yeareday to see:
Market cap: £122.9m
Enterprise value: £107.3m ?

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”