Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Has Sunak just trashed insurers?

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Has Sunak just trashed insurers?

Postby Howard » March 20th, 2020, 5:19 pm

dspp wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Technically these days most insurance company employees are not very good. A bit like bankers. In the old days like when I were a lad, we had to study home correspondence courses starting off with the Lloyds coffee houses and the theory of insurance. They should certainly be able to refer you immediately to the clause in your business interruption policy to clarify what is and what is not covered. There should also be (and probably is somewhere) a directive from the insurers top management about how to proceed because in this sort of situation if one insurer accepts liability, correctly or otherwise, it tends to open the floodgates. I doubt that there will have been an event like this before with such possible far reaching consequences which is why it needs something like 'unless it is declared a pandemic by the WHO.' Even then you need to prove that your business has been directly affected by that event and not some other event which just happens to coincide with the pandemic. It is easy if you have a fire on your premises but much harder with such a nebulous event as this. It is easy for you to see the effect but that is not the point. Bear in mind that you will not be the only one in this situation. Have you discussed this with your broker? That is the way to go not with the insurer and if your broker is telling you that insurers are wriggling, are you sure it is not your broker?

Business interruption insurance was never very well understood in my day by the average clerk and for this sort of event it will probably need intervention at the highest level and it will take time for a decision to be reached.

I am not particularly defending insurers but trying to steer a middle course. Most insurers do not wriggle and in any case have you never heard of fiddling of insurance claims by the public? That is the other side of the coin. People think that insurers have a bottomless pit of money.

Dod

Dod,

Yes I am in communication with our broker. Yes to senior people. Yes I understand all your points and am used to human nature. No it took very little time for a decision : by now they have the teflon phrases off pat.

I can see the wording in the policy. Indeed it does exclude WHO pandemics. Actually it includes almost nothing.

Personally I am not at all surprised. As I reached to check our insurance a while back I predicted that it would not pay out. I commented as much in advance here.

What has become apparent is that the "notifiable diseases" extension was not intended to be useful to businesses such as ours - quite how an empty steel building with steel machinery in it might get closed down by a local authority plague inspector is beyond me. That cover extension is really intended for food & accomodation & similar venues. Quite why the broker advised & sold that extension to us is interesting. However it is not something I shall lose sleep over.

The reality is I expect my insurer and my broker to both work together in finding a way not to pay out on any claim. I'm afraid that is a view I have formed over years of dealing with the whole industry. As a result the sensible course of action would be to use legal minimum cover from cheapskate & sons r us. Why go with the topline pukka merchants why they are just as slippery ? (we do, but we ask ourselves why)

Like I say, my main focus is keeping our people employed. The reason I am taking the time to explain my experiences in this respect is that, given that I am one of the better insured businesses, then - as my insurer says : no one will be covered. Irrespective of what government says. And it is best that this understanding gets out.

regards, dspp

dspp

It is too easy to blame others. Surely you read your insurance contract? If you wanted it to cover a worldwide pandemic, you should have asked your broker to arrange this. It might have been expensive, because you would have had to specify the current situation exactly.

Would you be surprised, if one of your customers complained that the product you had delivered wasn’t twice the specification you had agreed in writing?

In general, major insurers didn’t have to be bailed out in 2008 except for AIG (run by a dubious character) because they had taken the trouble to ensure their risk analyses were of the highest quality. I suspect that Zurich Insurance applies the highest standards of financial probity. Hopefully small businesses do too. ;)

regards

Howard

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Correct Howard and AIG got into trouble not through its insurance side but its banking side (At times the two can be thoroughly mixed up these days)

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 20th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Howard,
You are misunderstanding something. We expected to get stuffed by our insurers. That is what they do. They have met our expectations.

What you and Dod are requiring is the equivalent of checking the mill certificate of the wheel bolts in your annual car service. I bet you don't do that. The difference is that you know the engineering profession won't stuff you.

Have a good weekend. The primroses are out. And I am not believing any small print until my lawyers have signed it off, 80% or no. Social casualties are costly. They cost jobs and businesses

Regards, dspp

(edited 10:07, 21 Mar 20 : to remove typos)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2020, 11:56 pm

In that case dspp, my regard for you has just dropped significantly. You display total ignorance of how commercial business transactions work.
I am surprised that you have (or had) a viable business anyway. Commerce does not work (or certainly in my day did not work) by your outsourcing major decisions to someone else without checking that they met what you wanted.

It is I agree (not) the case that if something insurance wise does not go your way when you make a claim, it is the insurer's fault. That is a given, but really you need to know what is being bought or proposed.

I hope that the rest of your life will be more peaceful and that we can all learn from this hiatus

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 21st, 2020, 10:28 am

Dod101 wrote:In that case dspp, my regard for you has just dropped significantly. You display total ignorance of how commercial business transactions work.
I am surprised that you have (or had) a viable business anyway. Commerce does not work (or certainly in my day did not work) by your outsourcing major decisions to someone else without checking that they met what you wanted.

It is I agree (not) the case that if something insurance wise does not go your way when you make a claim, it is the insurer's fault. That is a given, but really you need to know what is being bought or proposed.

I hope that the rest of your life will be more peaceful and that we can all learn from this hiatus

Dod

Dod,

The cost of insurance is less than 0.5% of our turnover. I am not an expert in insurance, that is why I engage a broker as my expert and I fully inform of the nature of the business. If a business (SME) spent the length of time you are proposing trawling through the small print of everything that is 0.5% of turnover, and did so despite taking expert advice on the matter, so as to second-guess their expert advisers, then I don't think any business would ever get done.

I genuinely do not ever expect insurance to ever pay out. The last occasion (fairly recently) was something along the lines of freight insurance. Our clients opened a container at their loading dock and discovered water damage, very obviously salt water flooding. We take photos of the insides and outsides of all our containers and contents as they leave our factory. If I remember correctly the insurers said that the claim should have been notified to them whilst it was still at the offloading port, and that since they had only been notified on arrival at the loading dock it didn't count. Apparently the fine print was that the client should have basically been standing next to the crane as it came off the vessel. Yeah, right ! I have many other such stories. The consequence of the way the insurance industry behaves is that we treat them with the respect that they deserve, and never ever believe them when we buy a product from them.

Have a good day.

regards, dspp

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 21st, 2020, 10:51 am

dspp

The logical conclusion is then that you should save the premiums. You are paying premiums literally for nothing. You must be the most unfortunate insured that I have ever heard of. Either take the risk yourself or find another broker, tell them what you need, together with your past experiences. They will probably recommend you to their worst enemy because I think if I were offered your account I would politely decline it. You would frankly not be worth the hassle.

Clearly there is something fundamentally wrong and I would seriously think about changing your broker. I agree that you should not have to read your policy line by line but you need to know what you are buying, when to make a claim and so on. Your broker ought to be able to help you because most brokers apart from finding you an appropriate policy should be able to help with any claim as well.

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 21st, 2020, 10:52 am

Any chance of making this Topic less personal?

It is supposed to be about Share Ideas btw.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » March 21st, 2020, 11:56 am

Dod101 wrote:Insurers are not crooks or wriggle merchants and these days the public has a lot of protection via ombudsmen and so on that Insurers cannot afford to get it wrong.
Dod

Certainly not my experience, which is that insurers are dishonest more often not.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 21st, 2020, 12:26 pm

dspp wrote:Howard,
You are misunderstanding something. We expected to get stuffed by our insurers. That is what they do. They have met our expectations.

What you and Dod are requiring is the equivalent of checking the mill certificate of the wheel bolts in your annual car service. I bet you don't do that. The difference is that you know the engineering profession won't stuff you.

Have a good weekend. The primroses are out. And I am not believing any small print until my lawyers have signed it off, 80% or no. Social casualties are costly. They cost jobs and businesses

Regards, dspp

(edited 10:07, 21 Mar 20 : to remove typos)

dspp

Hope you have a good weekend too.

Whatever our differences, I am very conscious it must be very worrying to be running a business with everything changing literally by the day.

Please read my post in the snug - viewtopic.php?p=292843#p292843

Those of us who are retired owe a lot to those who are making very tough decisions.

regards :)

Howard

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”