Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

What was your Best Buy in the chaos?

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Re: What was your Best Buy in the chaos?

Postby AndyPandy » June 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm

simoan wrote:
fca2019 wrote:
tikunetih wrote:The most important thing was, per usual, to keep your head, not overreact and not become a net seller of risk assets at a time when others were panicking.

Exactly. That was the big take away for me as well. Keeping your head and not selling or panicking whilst during the market correction. Not checking your portfolio too often and stocks are a long term game, so long term thinking is required.

Crikey. A bit of sense on a rather silly thread celebrating short-termism with a dose of back slapping. Clearly we are not worthy of the investment geniuses amongst us! I'd much rather hear why they bought the shares they did but any kind of analysis seems to have gone out the window and simple price anchoring and buying any old crap seems to have sufficed. I'm not sure I'd want to own most of the shares mentioned in any market conditions. I think all that's been proved on this thread is that rubbish companies with weak balance sheets are the most volatile in times of uncertainty, however, that's no excuse to buy them... EVER.

All the best, Si

Bit touchy and with unwarranted sarcasm. I'm not claiming to be a genius, no-one is. Sometimes the Market misprices things, whether it's a Blue Chip or one of Warren Buffett's Cigar butt stocks and some of us have taken advantage of that.

The Market has a place for everyone from day-traders to Dorises. If a short-term punt is not your cup of tea, move on. Nothing to see here. No need to be rude about the rest of us. Let us celebrate a small win during what has been extraordinary times. I don't get rugby and Bjork doesn't appeal to me, but you won't find me rolling my eyes and tutting if they come on TV.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 12th, 2020, 10:19 am

AndyPandy wrote:Bit touchy and with unwarranted sarcasm. I'm not claiming to be a genius, no-one is. Sometimes the Market misprices things, whether it's a Blue Chip or one of Warren Buffett's Cigar butt stocks and some of us have taken advantage of that.

So have I, but I'm not celebrating "victory" yet and not crowing about the things I bought either. What's the point? It's no good winning a battle but losing the war. To be honest, I couldn't tell you how much things I bought the past few months are up or down. My portfolio is down year to date and it's not much consolation to be beating the All-Share by 14%. I get it that people are happy to have some short term wins and maybe want to exercise their ego by posting about it but it tells others reading nothing at all. This is the "Shares Ideas" forum, so apart from anything else, how is this thread relevant to this forum? What can anyone learn from this discussion? I'd say nothing.

AndyPandy wrote:The Market has a place for everyone from day-traders to Dorises. If a short-term punt is not your cup of tea, move on. Nothing to see here. No need to be rude about the rest of us. Let us celebrate a small win during what has been extraordinary times. I don't get rugby and Bjork doesn't appeal to me, but you won't find me rolling my eyes and tutting if they come on TV.

I have no idea why you have personalised your response so much when I was just making a general comment about a whole thread. Do you really think I care if you don't like rugby or Bjork? Neither does my other half!

Si

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 12th, 2020, 10:24 am

simoan wrote: This is the "Shares Ideas" forum, so apart from anything else, how is this thread relevant to this forum? What can anyone learn from this discussion? I'd say nothing.

Si

Yes, agreed.

And at least one person pointed this out to the moderators when it was only 3 posts long.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 12th, 2020, 10:54 am

dealtn wrote:
simoan wrote: This is the "Shares Ideas" forum, so apart from anything else, how is this thread relevant to this forum? What can anyone learn from this discussion? I'd say nothing.

Si

Yes, agreed.

And at least one person pointed this out to the moderators when it was only 3 posts long.

Is there not a better forum (Investment Strategies?) where any analysis or presentation of ideas can be avoided and discussing the strategy of "buying any old rubbish that's gone down a lot in the hope that it goes back up" is allowed. Serious investors can then safely ignore it :-)

All the best, Si

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » June 12th, 2020, 12:08 pm

simoan wrote:
AndyPandy wrote:The Market has a place for everyone from day-traders to Dorises. If a short-term punt is not your cup of tea, move on. Nothing to see here. No need to be rude about the rest of us. Let us celebrate a small win during what has been extraordinary times. I don't get rugby and Bjork doesn't appeal to me, but you won't find me rolling my eyes and tutting if they come on TV.

I have no idea why you have personalised your response so much when I was just making a general comment about a whole thread. Do you really think I care if you don't like rugby or Bjork? Neither does my other half!

Si

I was responding to your personal, sarcastic and self-righteous dig at those that had contributed to the post.

A bit of sense on a rather silly thread celebrating short-termism with a dose of back slapping. Clearly we are not worthy of the investment geniuses amongst us!

Each to their own investment strategy, but there was no need for you to be quite so rude in the first place. Wind your neck in.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm

simoan wrote:
What can anyone learn from this discussion?

I'd say nothing.

I think that's a bit harsh Si...

Investors with any experience of these types of market shocks will no doubt be aware that they often present buying opportunities for those willing to hold their nerve and run into the burning building whilst many others are running out, but I don't think that's a particularly easy thing to do for everyone, and that's especially so for lesser experienced investors, so a thread that celebrates the success of those that did do just that is not a wasted exercise if it might help those that might currently find difficulty in carrying out such contrarian actions...

Whilst you might be right in terms of there not being too much value now in the particular shares being mentioned on this thread, I think it's at least worth recognising that having these types of discussions following such market shocks can perhaps be rewarding next time, for those who might not have had the particular courage this time...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 12th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I think that's a bit harsh Si...

Whilst you might be right in terms of there not being too much value now in the particular shares being mentioned on this thread, I think it's at least worth recognising that having these types of discussions following such market shocks can perhaps be rewarding next time, for those who might not have had the particular courage this time...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I'm sorry, and I realise you're a prefect, but this is the SHARE IDEAS forum. Where were the ideas? Where was the analysis or even reasoning behind the buys that were made? Where were the fundamentals presented? Where was the discussion of the companies prospects moving forwards etc.? Is it still a good investment after such a big rise?

I realise TLF is mostly inhabited by unsophisticated investors but there has to be somewhere where you at least need to present a reasonable case for share to be considered a SHARE IDEA. It seems other boards are strictly policed and nowadays even have to have their dogma enshrined in rules about what you can and can't post, but it seems you can write any old rubbish in this forum. Seems I'm in the wrong place and will remove it from my favourites.

Si

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 12th, 2020, 1:46 pm

simoan wrote:... this is the SHARE IDEAS forum. Where were the ideas?

I took the OP in the spirit in which I think it was intended, a bit of fun really.

Where was the analysis or even reasoning behind the buys that were made?

I enjoy many of your posts Si and have seen your latest at Stockopedia. I mentioned Air Partner earlier in this topic. Over there you said you'd participated in the placing via Primary Bid. Perhaps you could let us know why here (despite the small size of your participation):

viewtopic.php?p=315375#p315375

... and will remove it from my favourites.

That's a shame and I hope you have notifications set up though.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » June 12th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Come now, folks, it's an internet discussion forum and boisterous disagreement is par for the course: none of it much matters, particularly if you don a thick skin and leave your ego by the door... double bonus is that that works pretty well when investing too. ;)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 12th, 2020, 5:07 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I mentioned Air Partner earlier in this topic. Over there you said you'd participated in the placing via Primary Bid. Perhaps you could let us know why here (despite the small size of your participation):

Hi PD,

I saw your post only because you quoted me. I removed my "subscription" to the "Share Ideas" forum after I posted as it seems you can post to it without any idea, literally. I realise you think this thread was a bit of fun but I kept getting notifications every time someone posted to it - it's one thing to bite your tongue once or twice but I was about to bite mine clean off! I will in future just bookmark any interesting threads I come across rather than subscribe to the forum again.

Re: Air Partner. Size of participation was unfortunately limited to the balance in my bank account rather than dealing accounts as you can only subscribe to a PrimaryBid placing using a debit card. I don't generally keep a large balance in the bank and time was of the essence as the placing works on a first come, first served basis. Unfortunately, I have WAY more cash in my investment accounts that I could not use to take a larger stake. As I said on Stockopedia, I hope at some point PrimaryBid will integrate more closely with brokers to allow existing cash funds in broker accounts, ISAs, SIPPs etc. to be used instead of a debit card. I assume they must be working on this since it is such a glaring weakness in the whole process.

I already have a position in Air Partner so was up to speed with the investment case and happy to top up at 75p, in the process setting up a PrimaryBid account for taking part in any future placings I like the look of; I think we can expect a few more in the coming months! I expect the Air Partner private jet business to pick up nicely this year as the rich decide they're going to take the family on holiday, no matter what, and without having to get anywhere near the masses of virus ridden plebs! :-)

All the best, Si

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 13th, 2020, 6:11 am

simoan wrote:
I'm sorry, and I realise you're a prefect, but this is the SHARE IDEAS forum. Where were the ideas? Where was the analysis or even reasoning behind the buys that were made? Where were the fundamentals presented? Where was the discussion of the companies prospects moving forwards etc.? Is it still a good investment after such a big rise?

I realise TLF is mostly inhabited by unsophisticated investors but there has to be somewhere where you at least need to present a reasonable case for share to be considered a SHARE IDEA. It seems other boards are strictly policed and nowadays even have to have their dogma enshrined in rules about what you can and can't post, but it seems you can write any old rubbish in this forum. Seems I'm in the wrong place and will remove it from my favourites.

The board title is 'Share Ideas', but the descriptive strap-line says this -

To me there seems to be enough scope in that strap-line to accomodate the type of discussion going on in this topic, but if someone were to strongly disagree with that, then all they have to do is report the topic and ask one of the moderators to take a view on that, and if they agreed then it's likely that the topic could be moved to somewhere more appropriate.

Have you reported the topic so that your concern could be looked into?

Personally, I think there's far too much of this type of thing going on with Lemon Fool at the moment, and I wish people could be a bit more accommodating when it comes to dissecting what other posters might wish to discuss, and where they might feel best to discuss it, and I wish there was a bit more charity being deployed rather than people getting hot under the collar about what is really a quite trivial matter in the grand scheme of things, and that's especially so at this current time where there's much more important things to concern ourselves with, of course..

It's a little ironic that you complain above about other boards being 'strictly policed' and having their 'dogma enshrined in rules', but don't seem to appreciate that your complaining involvement in this particular topic looks, to me at least, as the potential start of yet another slippery slope in that direction for this particular board...

I do wish that people were better at simply ignoring posts or topics that don't interest them, or use the 'report this post' facility where they have real issues with anything like this, as doing either of those things would make this site a much , much more pleasant place to both post and visit...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2020, 7:40 am

I have not contributed much to this thread because I have done very little and those who have? Well I wish them well, but to be looking at 'Best Buys' when we are a long way from even being out of the woods yet, and trying to identify Best Buys in a matter of a couple of months? Premature to say the least, and thus the whole thread is nothing more than a bit of froth. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is taken in that spirit.

And I cannot understand why some get so uptight about it. If it does not appeal then read and pass on.

Dod

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » June 13th, 2020, 8:15 am

simoan wrote:I kept getting notifications every time someone posted to it - it's one thing to bite your tongue once or twice but I was about to bite mine clean off! I will in future just bookmark any interesting threads I come across rather than subscribe to the forum again.

I tend to use the following URL to review the forum
https://lemonfool.co.uk/search.php?search_id=newposts

This gives me the titles of the threads on which there have been postings not exactly since my last visit, but something like that. I do get some thread notifications and I get notifications when people have quoted me, but I do not get overwhelmed with notifications. It may be worth looking at.

I personally think the forum has quite a few well informed investors. If people wish to turn one aspect of investment into a form of religion with its associated heresies and things which must not be said I don't mind. There are quite a few well informed private investors as well as some less experienced investors. What this forum generally does not have (which is a good thing not to have) is the nonsensical forms of ramping and deramping which can be seen on some online fora (such as ADVFN which has small nuggets of information on its stock threads amidst a torrent of dross).

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 13th, 2020, 8:38 am

johnhemming wrote:
What this forum generally does not have (which is a good thing not to have) is the nonsensical forms of ramping and deramping which can be seen on some online fora (such as ADVFN which has small nuggets of information on its stock threads amidst a torrent of dross).

I totally agree - and long may that continue...

Another thing worth pointing out that's been highly relevant to me as far back as the Motley Fool days is that I've often found some of the most interesting and educational topics have often been the ones which have meandered off their original remit, and perhaps even strayed outside of a general board theme at the same time, and I think it would be a real shame if there was a widespread feeling of 'strictness' that might stop such interesting side-discussions forming. We've all seen where such 'strictness' leads here recently, and in my opinion it's not in a pleasant direction...

As you hinted at in another area of your post, the specific issue here feels much more to do with board-notifications than anything else, where it sounds like Si was getting irritated by repeated notifications (due to the interest in this topic by plenty of other posters, it must be said...), where he was then clicking on the notifications and being led to this topic, only to find posts that weren't specifically about something that he wanted to read..

Unfortunately, I don't think the notifications system is clever enough yet for it to offer an 'Only notify me if I'm likely to be interested in the new content' option, so it seems that the two options that are currently available might be to either turn such notifications off, or simply be a bit more accommodating with discussions that others might well continue to find interesting and worthy of discussion, but which might not particularly interest him every single time...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 13th, 2020, 8:46 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:

The board title is 'Share Ideas', but the descriptive strap-line says this -

To me there seems to be enough scope in that strap-line to accomodate the type of discussion going on in this topic, but if someone were to strongly disagree with that, then all they have to do is report the topic and ask one of the moderators to take a view on that, and if they agreed then it's likely that the topic could be moved to somewhere more appropriate.

Have you reported the topic so that your concern could be looked into?

Personally, I think there's far too much of this type of thing going on with Lemon Fool at the moment, and I wish people could be a bit more accommodating when it comes to dissecting what other posters might wish to discuss, and where they might feel best to discuss it, and I wish there was a bit more charity being deployed rather than people getting hot under the collar about what is really a quite trivial matter in the grand scheme of things, and that's especially so at this current time where there's much more important things to concern ourselves with, of course..

It's a little ironic that you complain above about other boards being 'strictly policed' and having their 'dogma enshrined in rules', but don't seem to appreciate that your complaining involvement in this particular topic looks, to me at least, as the potential start of yet another slippery slope in that direction for this particular board...

I do wish that people were better at simply ignoring posts or topics that don't interest them, or use the 'report this post' facility where they have real issues with anything like this, as doing either of those things would make this site a much , much more pleasant place to both post and visit...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Well I disagree, and reported it as you suggested, after 3 posts (when I first saw it). The thread was clearly not about Share ideas, and was entirely backward looking. I suggested it was more appropriate for Portfolio Management & Review.

Mods obviously disagreed and it stayed. C'est la vie.

I do think in general though little thought goes in to where threads are started (and kept) and that it would improve the site generally if threads were in the right place. I'm not losing sleep over it though. With a greater dispersion of threads across Boards (and less concentration due to "habit") it might introduce users to areas and topics they otherwise might not visit, perhaps, depending on how they access the site.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 13th, 2020, 9:04 am

dealtn wrote:
Well I disagree, and reported it as you suggested, after 3 posts (when I first saw it). The thread was clearly not about Share ideas, and was entirely backward looking. I suggested it was more appropriate for Portfolio Management & Review.

Mods obviously disagreed and it stayed. C'est la vie.

Which was the correct way to go about things.

I especially like your final quote, and it's that level of more accommodating flexibility that some people struggle with, unfortunately...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » June 13th, 2020, 10:21 am

dealtn wrote:I do think in general though little thought goes in to where threads are started (and kept) and that it would improve the site generally if threads were in the right place. I'm not losing sleep over it though.

In 30 years of internet posting I'm not sure I've seen a discussion board/forum that spends so much time as this one navel gazing about whether things are posted in the "right" place! "Meta-discussion" that very likely causes real discussion to be displaced - such as I'm doing now ;)

It's like half the posters here desire to inhabit a 1995-era "Yahoo Directory" structured taxonomic world, attempting to create a place for everything and diligently file stuff in its place, prior to first Alta Vista and then Google coming along and demolishing it...

As someone who sources most of my investment-related info via Twitter, safe to say I'm at the other end of this spectrum and couldn't care less where things get posted - it is totally irrelevant to me because of the way I access the site, simply viewing it as a stream.

In my ideal world, stooz would redesign the site, removing the hierarchical forum structure and replace it with a tagging/filtering system - as he himself sort-of floated recently in discussion of Total Returns or HYP or some other meta-discussion stuff. With tagging/labels, people choosing to view the content through a structured lens should be happy, while those content with unstructured would be equally fine. It would be more flexible, allowing for more powerful categorising/filtering for those who want that structure, while mods' "policing" jobs should be simplified and meta-discussion greatly reduced.

Crack on, stooz! :D

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 13th, 2020, 10:44 am

I seem to have stumbled into another Biscuit Bar type thread.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2020, 8:47 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I seem to have stumbled into another Biscuit Bar type thread.

Well tikunetih was saying from what I could understand of his latest post, that he preferred the posts to be unstructured and have some sort of search engine to find what he wanted. Mind you I am behind the times and have not been posting on these forums for 30 years :?

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 13th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:I seem to have stumbled into another Biscuit Bar type thread.

Well tikunetih was saying from what I could understand of his latest post, that he preferred the posts to be unstructured and have some sort of search engine to find what he wanted. Mind you I am behind the times and have not been posting on these forums for 30 years :?

To put my comment into perspective, the suggestion of tagging etc has recently been made at the Biscuit Bar (the dedicated place to discuss such matters). I’m sure what Tiku said made perfect sense (to some) but I’m not convinced Share ideas is the place for such suggestions.

Tiku is probably aware of the recent mention (by stooz) but for others it is here:

viewtopic.php?p=310359#p310359

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”