Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Horizon DiscoveryGroup

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Horizon DiscoveryGroup

Postby Bouleversee » November 9th, 2020, 10:51 am

https://www.investegate.co.uk/perkinelm ... nc%20Alert

There was an announcement on 2 Nov. regarding a recommended cash offer of 185p per share for Horizon by a UK subsidiary of PerkinElmer Inc. to be effected by scheme of arrangement.

Does anyone else hold or have any views as to whether a better offer is likely to be forthcoming or whether one might as well sell now after the s.p. has recovered substantially in case it doesn't materialise and the s.p. drops back again? I see the s.p. shot up to 92p just before Friday's close but is down to 187p to sell today. I wonder who is buying at a price higher than the offer.

The announcement says that PerkinElmer reserves the right to switch to takeover. What difference would this make?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Horizon DiscoveryGroup

Postby Bouleversee » November 26th, 2020, 11:39 am

Bouleversee wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/perkinelmer-inc/hzd/offer-for-horizon-discovery-group-plc/202011020700108563D/?fe=1&utm_source=FE%20Investegate%20Alerts&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Announcement%20Alert%20Mail&utm_campaign=PerkinElmer%20Inc%20Alert

There was an announcement on 2 Nov. regarding a recommended cash offer of 185p per share for Horizon by a UK subsidiary of PerkinElmer Inc. to be effected by scheme of arrangement.

Does anyone else hold or have any views as to whether a better offer is likely to be forthcoming or whether one might as well sell now after the s.p. has recovered substantially in case it doesn't materialise and the s.p. drops back again? I see the s.p. shot up to 92p just before Friday's close but is down to 187p to sell today. I wonder who is buying at a price higher than the offer.

The announcement says that PerkinElmer reserves the right to switch to takeover. What difference would this make?

No response to my above post so presumably no other Lemons hold. However, I see there have been some deals as high as 200p and wonder if anyone can suggest why anyone would be paying that price at this stage if it is a done deal and who is likely to be buying. I note that Numis, who is HZD's broker, bought and sold at that price yesterday. Do you suppose they are buying for Horizon who are not confident of winning the vote. I have to vote by 9 Dec., not that my vote would make any difference, and time is running out if I want to sell in the market before then. Or could it be shorters needing to buy back? All rather over Doris's head.

Edit: It looks as though those 200p trades were off market; sp. 191/2 atm it would seem.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » November 26th, 2020, 11:56 am

I guess in this sort of situation the thing to do is to take a look at the company and decide what you think it is worth. If you think it is worth more than the offer price then hang on and see if the offer goes through and if you think it is valued about right or worth less then sell into the market if you can get more than the offer price.

I've just taken a quick look at them and it is a really hard one to value. On the face of it the offer looks like a good deal for shareholders as the company looks unprofitable but seems to be growing. Is there a COVID angle?

Personally I think I would sell into the market but I can't choose for you.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 26th, 2020, 12:12 pm

WickedLester -

Many thanks for your response. I really don't know what they are worth. They have been quite a bit higher a while back and I was surprised they were agreeing to be taken over at this price; OTOH they had fallen a lot recently and I was making a loss, now a small profit at the offer price. I don't know the answer to the Covid angle. The vaccine research has involved genetic modification and HZD do sell Crispr and other tools connected with that but whether they were actually involved I wouldn't know. I'm sure genetic modification will play an increasingly large part in future medical treatment, however.

I might set a sell limit and see what happens. Maybe those deals aren't accessible to me.

(I sent you a PM regarding one of your posts, so please have a look at that)

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”