Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stockopedia's crowd sourced stocks list

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Stockopedia's crowd sourced stocks list

Postby johnhemming » January 2nd, 2021, 12:46 pm

I am a subscriber to Stockopedia, but I don't think you have to be a subscriber to see their top stock picks for 2021. They have asked their subscribers to pick their top stocks and I thought it would be good to discuss this list. I already hold some, I personally think some are not stocks I would invest in and hence they give some stocks to look at.

Sylvania Platinum (SLP)
Ferrexpo (FXPO)
Bushveld Minerals (BMN)
Reach (RCH)
Games Workshop (GAW)
N Brown (BWNG)
Wey Education (WEY)
Wynnstay (WYN)
Royal Dutch Shell (RDSA)
Wentworth Resources (WEN)
CMC Markets (CMCX)
Aviva (AV.)
Novacyt (NCYT)
Ergomed (ERGO)
SDI (SDI)
Volex (VLX)
Spectra Systems (SPSY)
Redde Northgate (REDD)
LoopUp (LOOP)
MTI Wireless Edge (MWE)

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Re: Stockopedia's crowd sourced stocks list

Postby WickedLester » January 2nd, 2021, 1:29 pm

The only one of those stocks I currently hold is Wynnstay which still trades at a decent discount to net tangible asset value and has recently guided upwards. Perhaps when DBAY have finished selling the price may rise some more.

Of the others Volex was once my one and only ten bagger and MTI wireless Edge has looked interesting to me in the past. I never bought CMC Markets but really should have done.

As an aside do you find a subscription to Stockopedia worthwhile as I am looking for a stock screening tool at the moment.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 2nd, 2021, 1:56 pm

johnhemming wrote: They have asked their subscribers to pick their top stocks ...

Er, no they haven't!

What they have done, as they do each year, is open a competition for subscribers. The winners determined by the greatest return of their stock picks.

The only way to "win" is to choose a stock(s) that multi-bags, the risks associated with such could be they also fall close to 100%. So the "top stocks" aren't the subscribers researched and considered investment choices at all, but volatile potential candidates to win a competition.

All a bit of fun, but bear that in mind when describing, or believing, these are real life stock selections in real portfolios backed by real money.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 2nd, 2021, 1:58 pm

WickedLester wrote:As an aside do you find a subscription to Stockopedia worthwhile as I am looking for a stock screening tool at the moment.

I find the screener quite good as it has a number of parameters and I intend to continue subscribing. I signed up in August 2019. I pay for this service and ADVFN, but that's it.

A lot on "worthwhile" depends on the factors. I find ADVFN good for trading and real time information Stockopedia for secondary information.

I find it interesting to see Trinity Mirror (Reach) on stockpickers lists, but that is really a history thing.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 2nd, 2021, 2:00 pm

dealtn wrote:What they have done, as they do each year, is open a competition for subscribers. The winners determined by the greatest return of their stock picks.

The only way to "win" is to choose a stock(s) that multi-bags, the risks associated with such could be they also fall close to 100%. So the "top stocks" aren't the subscribers researched and considered investment choices at all, but volatile potential candidates to win a competition.

All a bit of fun, but bear that in mind when describing, or believing, these are real life stock selections in real portfolios backed by real money.

I think you are completely right about this, but I thought it was a useful topic for discussion.

REDD for example I see as something that could do reasonably well, but I would be surprised to see it top £4. I think management are incentivised at £3.50. I am long in REDD.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 2nd, 2021, 3:16 pm

dealtn wrote:
johnhemming wrote: They have asked their subscribers to pick their top stocks ...

Er, no they haven't!

What they have done, as they do each year, is open a competition for subscribers. The winners determined by the greatest return of their stock picks.

Actually I have done a small disservice. (In other words I wasn't "completely right about this"!)

The inputs are the competition entries, but the "top stocks" list isn't the raw inputs, but a filtered version to try and eliminate some of the "worst aspects" of the competition. There is an element of ensuring that "tips" only emanate from the top third of ranked shares within each sector (the rankings being the Stockopedia Ranks - the proprietary rules based rankings of the site), and any stock market sector can only have 2-3 shares to avoid sector concentration.

Last years list would have produced a gain of 31.5% against a FTSE All Share return of -12.5%

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » January 2nd, 2021, 11:11 pm

WickedLester wrote:As an aside do you find a subscription to Stockopedia worthwhile as I am looking for a stock screening tool at the moment.

Let's say my subscription has paid for itself may times over by looking at the StockRank tool and investing accordingly.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » January 3rd, 2021, 9:48 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Let's say my subscription has paid for itself may times over by looking at the StockRank tool and investing accordingly.

Hi absolutezero, I'd be interested to hear more about this if you have the time to share.

For instance, do you use the StockRank to avoid disasters, or to find potential winners?

Or do you run a mechanical system based on shares entering and leaving a zone (such as 90+)?

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”