Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

My portfolio with John Lee

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
TheWildshot

My portfolio with John Lee

Postby TheWildshot » January 12th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Do any of you on here listen to "My portfolio with John Lee" which is on every second Wednesday on Share Radio?

I've been listening for a while now and have one frustration with it. That is that they never spell out the name of the company they are talking about. Yesterday they talked about a company which sounded something like "Coreto". I've tried various combinations of spellings, including beginning with "C", "K" and "Q" and can't find a company which it might be.

Can anyone help me with this company name so I can research a little further?

Thanks in advance.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: My portfolio with John Lee

Postby kiloran » January 12th, 2017, 12:26 pm

TheWildshot wrote:Do any of you on here listen to "My portfolio with John Lee" which is on every second Wednesday on Share Radio?

I've been listening for a while now and have one frustration with it. That is that they never spell out the name of the company they are talking about. Yesterday they talked about a company which sounded something like "Coreto". I've tried various combinations of spellings, including beginning with "C", "K" and "Q" and can't find a company which it might be.

Can anyone help me with this company name so I can research a little further?

Thanks in advance.

Could it be Quarto? See the podcast originally broadcast on 31Aug16: https://www.shareradio.co.uk/podcasts/? ... d+John+Lee

--kiloran

TheWildshot

Postby TheWildshot » January 12th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Thanks kiloran that looks like it. It is in the book publishing business so seems right.

Many thanks.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 12th, 2017, 6:22 pm

this is lord john lee , author of making a million slowly.

he looks at smaller companys with honest managers, low debt and rising dividends - holding them long term.

he has suggested connect , mccolls , phoenix - which i hold.

also bba , charles taylor , quarto and vp among others .

:idea:

TheWildshot

Postby TheWildshot » January 13th, 2017, 10:49 am

He's also talked about AIR (which I hold), CNC and TET.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 14th, 2017, 1:22 pm

A few years ago he was banging on about Christie Group (CTG). I was sorry to miss it and see it fly. Has come back down now.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 3rd, 2017, 8:25 pm

Another of his holdings is Jas. Fisher which has done very well for me and other family members. He also holds Nichols and Treatt which always look too expensive when I have a look but then continue to rise. I also hold Quarto which hasn't done all that marvellously to date since I bought but seems to be bucking up a bit. What did he say about them and also about Christie. I don't know what the problem was there; did he discuss recovery prospects?

Where/how does one find Share Radio? I'd certainly like to listen to his programme.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 3rd, 2017, 8:33 pm

The Wildshot -

I was thinking of buying AIR a while back but circumstances intervened and I haven't got round to reviewing. Did he give any update? Is it possible to access these programmes after they have been broadcast?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 3rd, 2017, 8:47 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Where/how does one find Share Radio?

Here you are https://www.shareradio.co.uk/.

I've only listened on DAB radio in the car but it includes a number of familiar names, such as the Fool Ed Bowsher (fka TMFArkle/discokinged etc), at one stage the TMF editor as well as having had a number of other jobs:

http://my.fool.co.uk/profile/discokinged/info.aspx

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 3rd, 2017, 9:17 pm

So how do you find it on the radio? And what time is the Lee programme or what is it called? I presume we'll now have to wait for Feb 16.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 3rd, 2017, 9:50 pm

This should be the programme first broadcast on 1 February:

https://www.shareradio.co.uk/podcasts/m ... castPlayer

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

Thanks, PD. I listened to that last night. I don't think he said anything he hadn't said before. I note that he said he would never buy anything which wasn't paying a dividend, so he would have missed out on my huge gain with Victoria (VCP) where I have made nearly £32k in the past two and a half years or so, since new management took over, for nil cost since they immediately paid a special dividend which more than covered my original investment, since when there have been no further dividends as they keep acquiring more businesses. I suppose I ought to take some profits but they are an AIM share (at the moment) so I'd like to hang on to them for IHT reasons and also to keep my cgt allowance and c/f losses for other purposes; I intend to gift a lot of my other holdings to children and grandchildren or just sell them. Does anyone else on here hold this share and have any views on it?

Getting back to the John Lee programme, how do I locate it on DAB so I can listen while doing my chores rather than have to go up to my office and sit in front of the computer?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 4th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Getting back to the John Lee programme, how do I locate it on DAB so I can listen while doing my chores rather than have to go up to my office and sit in front of the computer?

Do these instructions help?:

http://www.getdigitalradio.com/retune

I'm sure they are far better than anything I could write.

On the potential Victoria IHT business (property) relief front and very broadly, I'm sure you know you can reinvest (subject to your CGT issues) in another qualifying company within 2 years but this would be best discussed over at "Taxes", not least to make it easier to find in the future.

That having been said, there's a randomly found article here https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/201 ... t-quote-me. It is available in full via google if you use the search term:

"IHT business property relief on AIM shares can be lost easily"

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 4th, 2017, 2:42 pm

On the CGT front I meant to include this which could be of use to you:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... heet/vddvs

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 4th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Thanks again, PD. It was actually views on the investment prospects of VCP I was hoping for. However, I'll have a look at those. I'll have a look at the instructions for my husband's Bose. I had assumed one needed a channel and a frequency but I clearly need to learn about DAB on top of everything else.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks again, PD. It was actually views on the investment prospects of VCP I was hoping for. H...

Yes but I was attempting to answer a number of the other questions you asked.

I'd already seen your "Victoria continues its meteoric rise but it seems a bit too good to be true ...", which you wrote elsewhere, and didn't know enough about Victoria to disagree. That having been said, there have been plenty of positive and negative comments about them over the last few years but I can't dig the most recent out just now, as I'm about to watch something of import (to me at least) on the TV!

Here was one I saw in September 2016 http://www.shareprophets.com/views/2362 ... cess-story and this from November 2015 http://www.shareprophets.com/views/1642 ... a-shagging.

You may well have already read them.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm

PD - I hadn't read those in fact, so thanks. They are both correct really. I had similar sentiments about Geoff Wilding and the extraordinary deal he had screwed for himself and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up taking the company over, though he'll need a lot of cash. On the other hand, if you allow for the 5/1 share split, the price has gone up from about 317 at the date of the article to 467 now which is pretty good considering the previous rise. It would be interesting to know what the two authors think about them now. It must be a unique situation. As I said, seems to be too good to be true.

TheWildshot

Postby TheWildshot » February 8th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Hi everyone, I am just catching up after being away from this thread for a few weeks.

Share Radio is broadcast on DAB radio nationwide. If you can't find it then retune your DAB radio and you should find it.

Share Radio is also an app in the iPad app store (this is what I use) and may also (I guess) be available as an Android app. I use the app all the time as I listen to shows on catch up when I go to bed. I always listen to a Market Wrap show which is first broadcast at 5pm on weekdays.

The app also provides links to podcasts so I wonder if you might be available to find them in iTunes?

My Portfolio with John Lee is on every second Wednesday at (I think) 4pm and is on for half an hour. I listen to it each week via the app on catch up.

In addition to all this info I have once heard David Stredder (sp ?) known to Fools as Carmensfella on a programme too about small caps.

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in replying.

Based on a previous query I was prompted from this show to investigate AIR. I liked what I saw and bought in on 7th December. I'm currently up close to 12% ;-) (not bad for 2 months).

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm

The Wildshot -

Has there been a share split at AIR or something? Acc. to The Times and the chart on AIR's own website it looks as though the sp has been up to
520 in the past year, with a low of 105.5 and last night 107 but that doesn't tally with what you say or with other charts I saw. Can you explain, please. I don't know whether I have missed the boat or not. I must go and see if I can find Share Radio at 4 pm though not sure whether this will be the right Wednesday.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 8th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Wildshot -

Delving into the regulatory reports, I see that there was indeed a share split in January. You'd never know that from the charts on their own website or indeed from The Times.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”