Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investing in the green economy

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Investing in the green economy

Postby BobbyD » July 10th, 2021, 3:02 pm

richfool wrote:My main concern, as a holder of GRID is if an alternative to battery storage suddenly materialises, or a development meaning that storage is no longer necessary. That could then could demolish the SP. (That would also apply to GSF).

I note GRID's annual management charge is: 1.0% and the ongoing charge: 2.15%, which seems high.

There are plenty of alternative ways of storing energy, but batteries are really difficult to beat in terms of efficiency and ease of installation. Anything which involves turning electricity in to something and then converting it back is at an automatic disadvantage and its difficult to concoct a scheme which is easier to execute than plonking a few containers down in a field and wiring them.

I'd also imagine battery costs are going to fall quite dramatically in the coming years, which is good for battery vs. but means that GRID's stiffest competition is likely to come from other batteries whether they are in shipping containers in a field in Leicestershire, distributed across a number of industrial parks and coach parks or distributed across the garage walls of thousands of end users. That's not to say that there won't be other systems in the mix, or that the balance of battery storage won't move away from large purpose built grid supporting installations but I don't worry about waking up tomorrow and finding that the need they fill is suddenly obsolete or 'solved' by a new kryptonite based storage device and in the short to medium term increasing decarbonisation seems likely to lead to an increase in demand.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 13th, 2021, 2:26 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:A good opportunity to buy into Gresham House Energy Storage at the moment. Shares have dropped on account of a placing of new stock. This business has a very bright future. In my opinion. Solid yield at today's price.

RVF

Thanks for that heads up, RVF. I bought some at 115p in the fall back, and they are now back up in the 118p's.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 28th, 2021, 8:34 am

dealtn wrote:
WickedLester wrote:This is not a share idea but a request for share ideas.

I have sold some of my more profitable value plays and now have a bit of cash to invest in my SIPP. I am thinking of targeting growth over the next 10 years and would particularly like to invest some money in the move towards the sustainable and renewable economy.

I am open to individual shares or funds and wondered if anyone had any ideas for these that are not on stellar valuations.

A thanks is on offer to all sensible suggestions!

Closest I have got to that in my portfolio is Tracsis (TRCS), providing services and consultancy to improve the efficiency in the railway industry (plus more), which is arguably a long-term and green issue.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=28841&p=430865#p430865

https://www.investegate.co.uk/tracsis-p ... 00056675G/

All looking good.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » July 28th, 2021, 12:09 pm

There's also quite a pleasing AGM statement from CRPR today.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/cropper-j ... 00027588G/

Group sales for the first quarter are up 50% on the prior-year quarter, as the Group continues to see the impact of the pandemic shrink and demand is returning to pre-pandemic levels. The Paper division sales are up 70% on the same period in the previous year. All Paper division end markets have seen recovery from the impact of the pandemic, as the division continues to focus on higher-value niche markets, particularly luxury packaging. Pulp prices have risen in the quarter, though the increase in costs has been softened by the pulp hedging arrangements put in place by the Company in the last financial year.

TFP is benefiting from a continued focus on the green energy markets such as wind and hydrogen, plus defence, industrial, medical and aerospace markets, with sales up 23% on the prior-year quarter. The new production line providing an additional 50% capacity is now installed and will commence production later this summer. TFP Hydrogen has had a slower start to the year but has a healthy order book that is expected to continue to build over the year.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » October 20th, 2021, 5:36 pm

I now have four investments of varying size which I think fit the bill of targeting the green/zero carbon economy.

Invinity Energy Systems (IES) - these make Vanadium Flow Batteries and the market for them is tipped to grow significantly in coming years. The price has fallen a long way from its recent highs but I am at about breakeven. They have admitted they will need a fundraising and this may have knocked the price. I picked up on this share after they were mentioned on another thread so thanks to whoever that was.

Primorous Investments (PRIM) - there is already a thread about these so I won't go on about them too much. They trade at a significant discount to net assets and recently announced an investment into another VRF battery manufacturer, Mustang Energy. The deal looks like it has run into some problems but even if it doesn't go ahead the new guy, Labrum, has signaled his intent to be forward looking and I will hold to see what else he decides to invest in.

James Cropper (CRPR) - This is a bit unusual in that it is already profitable and I bought it for the Technical Fibres business which is the main driver of profit and makes fibres for amongst other things fuel cells. This could have great prospects going forward and I am happy to hold. I am currently sitting on a modest profit.

Pressure Technologies (PRES) - This company has been so accident prone in recent years that I was in two minds about investing but they appear to be picking up orders for hydrogen storage tanks and this market may grow well in coming years. Currently trading at a touch above breakeven and at around the level of NTA with no debt after a recent fundraising. Maybe their time has finally come.

I had hoped for a better share price performance from all of them today after the Government published its Net Zero Strategy yesterday. I understand they want a very substantial sum spent on decarbonising the economy.

In all cases I hope to hold for the long term and must resist the urge to sell on a 50% rise which is the curse of the value investor.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”