Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BT Dividend

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

BT Dividend

Postby Sunnypad » August 27th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Hi all
DAK if BT will be paying a dividend in September? I seem to have conflicting information. Thanks.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Re: BT Dividend

Postby onthemove » August 27th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Hi all
DAK if BT will be paying a dividend in September? I seem to have conflicting information. Thanks.

As previously disclosed, no final dividend for 2020/21, but payments expected to resume at an annual rate of 7.7p per share in 2021/22 https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... s/14974852

I believe the september payment is usually the final dividend(*) (and the final results are the latest, except for the Q1 update, but that makes no mention of dividends), so I interpret this a there will not be any dividend in september.

(*) https://www.bt.com/about/investors/indi ... ccordion-1

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 27th, 2021, 8:32 pm

They plant to resume payments in their next financial year, which means that the first will be in February. The one usually paid in September is not being paid. Look for the RNS post of their full year results.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm

Short answer - No.

With reference to the last link https://www.bt.com/about/investors/indi ... ccordion-1

"Our dividends are normally paid twice a year, with final dividends paid in September, and interim dividends in February."

So, this September's final would be in the 2020/2021 year.

But, dividends are suspended until the 2021/2022 year - so :( .

As TJH says - look to Feb next year.

(The link indicates that "normally" the ex-dividend date for the September payment is early August (see previous years dates in the link above).

As no dividend was announced in August then there won't be a div paid in September. )

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 27th, 2021, 11:15 pm

tjh290633 wrote:They plant to resume payments in their next financial year, which means that the first will be in February. The one usually paid in September is not being paid. Look for the RNS post of their full year results.

TJH

Further to that, the RNS can be read at https://www.investegate.co.uk/bt-group- ... 00064783Y/ and the relevant comment is:

• As previously disclosed, no final dividend for 2020/21, but payments expected to resume at an annual rate of 7.7p per share in 2021/22

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 27th, 2021, 11:42 pm

BT's bum is sliding off the naughty step.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » August 27th, 2021, 11:50 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:They plant to resume payments in their next financial year, which means that the first will be in February. The one usually paid in September is not being paid. Look for the RNS post of their full year results.

TJH

Further to that, the RNS can be read at https://www.investegate.co.uk/bt-group- ... 00064783Y/ and the relevant comment is:

• As previously disclosed, no final dividend for 2020/21, but payments expected to resume at an annual rate of 7.7p per share in 2021/22

TJH

Thank you
Aren't we in 2021/22 though?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 28th, 2021, 12:17 am

Sunnypad wrote:Aren't we in 2021/22 though?
We are. But the results of this period are reported once it is over. (Estimates may be reached before it is over.) C.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » August 28th, 2021, 10:42 am

csearle wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:Aren't we in 2021/22 though?
We are. But the results of this period are reported once it is over. (Estimates may be reached before it is over.) C.

Thanks.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 28th, 2021, 4:33 pm

csearle wrote:BT's bum is sliding off the naughty step.

Good. That will give me a chance to kick it! It has been a hopeless investment.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 28th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

Thank you
Aren't we in 2021/22 though?

We are and that is why we expect the next dividend to be the interim, usually paid in February.

TJH

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 30th, 2021, 10:24 am

Bouleversee wrote:

Up 60% in a year. I wish I had more of these hopeless type of investments.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2021, 10:33 am

dealtn wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

Yes but as always it is a matter of timing. You could have bought any number of shares in March/April/May 20200 and done well from them.

It is not much of a measure of what BT is as a company for the long term. You talk of a trading opportunity, although what this to do with DAK? I have no idea.

Dod

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » August 30th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Dod101 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Good. That will give me a chance to kick it! It has been a hopeless investment.

Yes but as always it is a matter of timing. You could have bought any number of shares in March/April/May 20200 and done well from them.

It is not much of a measure of what BT is as a company for the long term. You talk of a trading opportunity, although what this to do with DAK? I have no idea.Dod

Exactly. Last time dealtn was ramping BT he was able to say it was "up 100% in a year" - no longer possible as it is down over 15% in the last couple of months or so. I'd say a drop of over 50% over the past five years entitles any long term holder to feel less than impressed!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 30th, 2021, 7:32 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:Exactly. Last time dealtn was ramping BT ...

I have never ramped this share, or any other, on this site or anywhere else, even once let alone the multiple times you insinuate.

I have reported and asked for this thread to be moved, but apparently, despite this being off topic for here (and I inadvertently extended that "off-topicness"), and it being ad hominem, it hasn't been actioned.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » August 30th, 2021, 8:11 pm

dealtn wrote:

I have never ramped this share, or any other, on this site or anywhere else, even once let alone the multiple times you insinuate.

Apologies, perhaps that term was inappropriate. However, you have twice eulogised BT specifically as an investment, seemingly based purely on a short term rally (shared by much of the market) in which it has barely begun to claw back the losses of the previous five years - indeed, that recent trend appears to have reversed somewhat. So, unless you have an investment case to put forward, it's not clear why you think BT is so special?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 30th, 2021, 11:09 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Apologies, perhaps that term was inappropriate. However, you have twice eulogised BT specifically as an investment, seemingly based purely on a short term rally (shared by much of the market) in which it has barely begun to claw back the losses of the previous five years - indeed, that recent trend appears to have reversed somewhat. So, unless you have an investment case to put forward, it's not clear why you think BT is so special?

Hardly eulogising - at least not by my understanding of that word's meaning. All I have done is respond to someone that claimed it

Bouleversee wrote: ... has been a hopeless investment

and presumably will continue to be so.

In reality it has risen sharply on a one year horizon, which might roughly relate to the period when I have been supporting it as an investment case as others have been negative about it. Now, if you, or others on the thread, want to use the FTSE 100 as a comparative benchmark, which doesn't seem too controversial, that's fine. FTSE 100 is up about 20% on that time scale. BT.A is up 60%, and as you point out has been up 100% and come off its highs. That's meaningful enough outperformance no? 3 times the FTSE 100 return seems significant, at least to me. Even if you think 12 months counts as a short term rally isn't that enough to be seen as successful?

If others have a worse return that says more about their investment decision, and the price they bought at (for whatever investment reason) than it does about the company's current investment case. Anchoring around an entry price is rarely a healthy basis for assessing any investments future potential, and certainly never a reason to rationally assess the current price.

Regardless it's the future that is important surely?

If you look at my postings on BT.A you will see I have posted on it multiple times - certainly more than twice - citing RNS announcements on the investment in its Sports coverage, the potential for divestment of Openreach (or alternative restructurings to realise the value of that element), and the value within its Pension scheme valuation amongst others. One of the few attractions of a site like this to me is individuals assessing companies and expressing non-consensual views that others might not be aware of to potentially participate in general market mispricings of individual shares. If that's not attractive to you that's fine. But it's why I am here. I'd, rather you didn't denigrate others' contributions though and mislead by thinking (for instance) someone's contributions were just 2 eulogising comments when in fact there are more contributions than a couple of short interventions to others that had merely made "pithy" dismissals of a company based on long term historic investment decisions of their own on their own chosen entry points (for whatever investment reason of their own determining).

If you, or others, are prepared to have a reasoned investment case discussion on the merits of BT.A then I am happy to participate. In fact that greatly assists me as it's the opposite case that ensures I don't overinvest and fall into the trap of confirmation bias I am happy to accuse others of possessing.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » August 31st, 2021, 12:53 am

dealtn wrote:In reality it has risen sharply on a one year horizon, which might roughly relate to the period when I have been supporting it as an investment case as others have been negative about it. Now, if you, or others on the thread, want to use the FTSE 100 as a comparative benchmark, which doesn't seem too controversial, that's fine. FTSE 100 is up about 20% on that time scale. BT.A is up 60%, and as you point out has been up 100% and come off its highs. That's meaningful enough outperformance no? 3 times the FTSE 100 return seems significant, at least to me. Even if you think 12 months counts as a short term rally isn't that enough to be seen as successful?

Well, over your choice of time horizon and against your choice of benchmark it looks great! Over shorter or longer periods the SP is actually down and, even over your favoured one year timeframe, 60% looks positively pedestrian against the likes of Ashtead (120%) and Entain (145%) amongst others.

dealtn wrote:If others have a worse return that says more about their investment decision, and the price they bought at (for whatever investment reason) than it does about the company's current investment case

Charming.

dealtn wrote:If you look at my postings on BT.A you will see I have posted on it multiple times - certainly more than twice - citing RNS announcements on the investment in its Sports coverage, the potential for divestment of Openreach (or alternative restructurings to realise the value of that element), and the value within its Pension scheme valuation amongst others. One of the few attractions of a site like this to me is individuals assessing companies and expressing non-consensual views that others might not be aware of to potentially participate in general market mispricings of individual shares. If that's not attractive to you that's fine. But it's why I am here. I'd, rather you didn't denigrate others' contributions though and mislead by thinking (for instance) someone's contributions were just 2 eulogising comments when in fact there are more contributions than a couple of short interventions to others that had merely made "pithy" dismissals of a company based on long term historic investment decisions of their own on their own chosen entry points (for whatever investment reason of their own determining).

Well, sorry, I can only reply to what I see and that had been a couple of "pithy" (and apparently smug) dismissals of others' experiences. Having now caught up with some of your posts on BT, I can see why you're invested. I suspect you may do quite well if you bought near the low (and sell before the next crisis), but it doesn't hurt to show a little humility when responding to other people's experiences - you may find a greater willingness from others to engage with you. But, rest assured, I will certainly try to bite my lip next time...

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”