Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CIP Merchant Capital (CIP) - an investment co. on a 38% NAV discount

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

CIP Merchant Capital (CIP) - an investment co. on a 38% NAV discount

Postby SKYSHIP » September 12th, 2021, 11:54 am

I hold two small investment companies - PRIM with a MCap of just £6m and a current NAV discount of 38.2%; and CIP Merchant Capital (CIP) with a MCap of £32m and a current NAV discount of 37.7% There is a separate thread on PRIM.

# CIP is mainly invested in UK listed stocks - PRIM wholly invested in private pre-IPO cos.

# The investment managers of CIP hold 8.2%; The Exec. Chmn of PRIM holds 23%

At current levels the Risk/Reward ratio for both seems highly attractive.

There is an added interest in CIP in that another fund held 15% and earlier this year made a rejected lowball bid at 55p versus the then NAV of 81p.

They have been buyers since and now own 29.2% - just below the 30% level when another bid will be required. The shares on offer at 60p versus the 93.93p NAV. I suspect a bid in the range of 75p-80p might win the day this time around.

That would of course mean minimally 25% upside :)

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Re: CIP Merchant Capital (CIP) - an investment co. on a 38% NAV discount

Postby SKYSHIP » September 12th, 2021, 2:06 pm

MORE INFO on CIP:

# This is a Simon Thompson (IC) favourite; selected for his Bargains portfolio of 2020

# I take issue with him however regarding the Italian "Mafia" duo investment managers.
They operate on the successful 2/20 hedge fund remuneration formula. (2% fee + 20%
of profits). This for a couple who over the 3.5yrs to Jun'21 actually lost 3%. Over that
period my 93y/o stepmother has gained 5.6%pa; whilst I have compounded at over 20%pa!

# Those mafiosi managers also charged fees on cash balances!!! Totally verboten as far as
most people now think.

# So the Chmn has to step up to the plate and earn his fees by kicking them out. This week
they stepped down from the Board; but still serve as managers . That has got to stop.

Obviously Corporation Financière Européenne S.A (Luxembourg), now holding 29.14%, are
of a similar mind!

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Postby SKYSHIP » October 7th, 2021, 8:19 am

5TH OCT. - Simon Thompson re-tips in the IC Online - perhaps in tomorrow's print edition.

He concludes with:

"The current 40 per cent share price discount to NAV not only fails to recognise the dramatic improvement in CIP’s investment performance this year, but the possibility of M&A activity. Buy."

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Postby SKYSHIP » November 22nd, 2021, 1:46 pm

Simon Thompson's tip at the beginning of October provided a good opportunity to bank a swift profit as they peaked at 92p bid.

Since then they've drifted back and today are standing at 52p-54p. At 54p they are on a 40.2% discount to the 12th November NAV.

They could be considered a value trap; however it is my experience that in the vast majority of cases a 40% discount
represents a very attractive entry point. So having sold 2/3rds of my holding in the 60s; I'm buying back in...

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Postby SKYSHIP » January 15th, 2022, 6:51 am

Firstly, I see a typo in the last post - 62p bid, NOT 92p bid!

Anyway, news after hours yesterday - the 29% stakeholder CFE has made an offer of 55p/share.

55p is a derisory offer considering the NAV of 87.6p. Obviously not a serious offer and surely they
don't expect many acceptances at such a paltry level.

So what are they really up to I wonder. I don't see a white knight here as who would want to go to
the expense of bidding for such a ragtag of assets.

SFE are stuck with their holding; so surely best to make a more sensible offer, win it, liquidate it
and move on. So pay a little more and get the thing done; but 55p - NO WAY!

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Postby SKYSHIP » March 16th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Been a long time coming, but CFE finally realise they won't get across the line with their 55p bid.

Today they raised the level with a Final Offer of 60p. I believe that will win the day as recent accumulator
Castellaine Capital will surely accept with their 9.6% stake.

Hardly generous versus the 84p NAV; but anyone who bought in should either sell in the market (currently 60.5p bid)
or accept the offer. If it fails CIP will surely fall back to 50p again.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”