Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Microsoft & Schleswig-Holstein

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
monabri
Lemon Half

Microsoft & Schleswig-Holstein

Postby monabri » November 20th, 2021, 12:13 pm

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blo ... breoffice/

"The north-German state of Schleswig-Holstein plans to switch to open source software, including LibreOffice, in its administration and schools.

In doing so, the state wants to reduce its dependence on proprietary software, and eventually end it altogether. By the end of 2026, Microsoft Office is to be replaced by LibreOffice on all 25,000 computers used by civil servants and employees (including teachers), and the Windows operating system is to be replaced by GNU/Linux."

I can see that the cost savings might be significant! I wonder if other German states (....Europe) will do similarly?

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Microsoft & Schleswig-Holstein

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2021, 1:40 pm

...This sort of thing is far from new. It has been happening for a while, even going back to the days when OpenOffice was king.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 20th, 2021, 2:00 pm

My memory may be at fault but I seem to remember that certain German govt. departments opted for Open Office as a cost saving measure but then, later, reverted to MS Office. That would have been > 10 years ago IIRC.

Ah, just found this:

City authorities are talking about ditching the old OpenOffice suite for Microsoft Office because they think it will help them better interact with other agencies of the federal government. Their predicament is understandable because the city is using a very old edition of OpenOffice, which dates back to 2010...A spokesman for the Senate Department of Finances in Berlin (Senatsverwaltung für Finanzen in Berlin) tells Golem.de that the city is making the switch to Microsoft Office, although it's not clear what version will be adopted.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Berlin-Is-Going-Back-to-Microsoft-Office-from-OpenOffice-463019.shtml

RC

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm

monabri wrote:https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2021/11/18/german-state-planning-to-switch-25000-pcs-to-libreoffice/

"The north-German state of Schleswig-Holstein plans to switch to open source software, including LibreOffice, in its administration and schools.

In doing so, the state wants to reduce its dependence on proprietary software, and eventually end it altogether. By the end of 2026, Microsoft Office is to be replaced by LibreOffice on all 25,000 computers used by civil servants and employees (including teachers), and the Windows operating system is to be replaced by GNU/Linux."

I can see that the cost savings might be significant! I wonder if other German states (....Europe) will do similarly?

How extremely disappointing!

I thought that you were going to be making some arcane comparison between Microsoft and the celebrated Schleswig-Holstein Question.

Of which The British statesman Lord Palmerston is reported to have said: "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it."

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 20th, 2021, 4:40 pm

77ss wrote: Of which The British statesman Lord Palmerston is reported to have said: "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it."

I was just about to say that.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2021, 8:30 pm

77ss wrote:How extremely disappointing!

I thought that you were going to be making some arcane comparison between Microsoft and the celebrated Schleswig-Holstein Question.

Of which The British statesman Lord Palmerston is reported to have said: "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it."

So did I.

However, for me, usually the comparison is a little different: "the Schleswig-Holstein question" <---> "the Talk21 email address* saga"

* I still have mine. :)

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”