Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Woodside Energy Share Distribution

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Woodside Energy Share Distribution

Postby tjh290633 » May 14th, 2023, 11:11 pm

Isn't all this covered in their dividend announcements and later announcement of exchange rates?

See https://www.woodside.com/investors/repo ... -briefings for the recent announcements.

TJH

Tara
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tara » May 15th, 2023, 7:04 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Isn't all this covered in their dividend announcements and later announcement of exchange rates?

See https://www.woodside.com/investors/repo ... -briefings for the recent announcements.

TJH

I have not really seen any clear answer to the different situations of an investor resident in the UK buying WDS on the LSE, and buying WDS on the ASX.

Is there no Australian Withholding Tax for example for a UK shareholder in Woodside?

If a UK resident shareholder has 1,000 shares and the dividend declared is $1 per share, is there not a deduction of 15% or 30% Withholding Tax? Does the UK shareholder receive the full $1,000 dividend in their account? Or do they receive $850 or $700?

And does it make any difference to the dividend that they receive if they bought their shares on the LSE or on the ASX ?

And the same question for an Australian resident shareholder in Woodside. Do they receive the full $1,000 in their account? And does it make any difference to the dividend that they receive if they bought their shares on the LSE or on the ASX ?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 15th, 2023, 9:13 pm

It's all spelt out in detail in the dividend announcements. Dividends declared in US Dollars. Shareholders can elect to receive their dividend in various currencies.

See https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcement/7235623

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 15th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Specifically:

As announced as part of its full year results published today, the Directors of Woodside Energy Group Ltd ("Woodside" or the "Company") have determined a final dividend of US 144 cents per share, bringing the full-year fully franked dividend to US 253 cents per share.

The dividend is expected to be paid on 5 April 2023 to shareholders on the register at 5.00pm AWST on 9 March 2023.

Woodside dividends are determined and declared in US dollars. However, shareholders will receive their dividend in Australian dollars unless their registered address is in the United Kingdom (in which case they will receive their dividend in British pounds), in the United States of America (in which case they will receive their dividend in US dollars) or in New Zealand (in which case they will receive their dividend in NZ dollars).

Shareholders who reside outside of the United States can elect to receive their dividend electronically in US dollars, payable into a US financial institution account. Shareholders who reside outside of the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia may elect to receive their dividend electronically in their local currency using Global Wire Payment Service from the Company's share registry, Computershare Investor Services Pty Ltd.

Shareholders should contact the Company's share registry if they wish to alter their dividend currency for future dividend payments. Contact details are available on Woodside's website on the Shareholder Information section of the Investors page. Shareholders must make an election to alter their dividend currency on or before 7.00pm AWST on the election date, being 10 March 2023.

Currency conversion will be based on the foreign currency exchange rates prevailing on or around the dividend record date of 9 March 2023.

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 16th, 2023, 8:38 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Specifically:

As announced as part of its full year results published today, the Directors of Woodside Energy Group Ltd ("Woodside" or the "Company") have determined a final dividend of US 144 cents per share, bringing the full-year fully franked dividend to US 253 cents per share.

The dividend is expected to be paid on 5 April 2023 to shareholders on the register at 5.00pm AWST on 9 March 2023.

Woodside dividends are determined and declared in US dollars. However, shareholders will receive their dividend in Australian dollars unless their registered address is in the United Kingdom (in which case they will receive their dividend in British pounds), in the United States of America (in which case they will receive their dividend in US dollars) or in New Zealand (in which case they will receive their dividend in NZ dollars).

Shareholders who reside outside of the United States can elect to receive their dividend electronically in US dollars, payable into a US financial institution account. Shareholders who reside outside of the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia may elect to receive their dividend electronically in their local currency using Global Wire Payment Service from the Company's share registry, Computershare Investor Services Pty Ltd.

Shareholders should contact the Company's share registry if they wish to alter their dividend currency for future dividend payments. Contact details are available on Woodside's website on the Shareholder Information section of the Investors page. Shareholders must make an election to alter their dividend currency on or before 7.00pm AWST on the election date, being 10 March 2023.

Currency conversion will be based on the foreign currency exchange rates prevailing on or around the dividend record date of 9 March 2023.

TJH
If you'll forgive me Terry this all seems a bit old news as we took possession of this dividend over a month ago. Or, am I missing some key significance? C.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 16th, 2023, 10:45 pm

csearle wrote:If you'll forgive me Terry this all seems a bit old news as we took possession of this dividend over a month ago. Or, am I missing some key significance? C.

Chris, the OP seemed to be incapable of reading the RNA with the details about what currency people could receive their dividends, depending on where they lived. With the changes at Investegate, I'm not sure that the old links work any more.

This is spelling out for him what the situation is.

TJH

Tara
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tara » May 19th, 2023, 9:34 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Specifically:

TJH

I have read all of the information from Woodside.

My questions were actually about Australian Withholding Tax and how it affected owners of Australian shares. I have never owned shares in Woodside and I was just enquiring if UK residents had any Withholding Tax deducted.

So if the final dividend for Woodside was 144 cents, will every shareholder including foreign shareholders have received this amount in their account? Is there no WHT deducted?

It says here on the Australian Tax Office site that unfranked dividends have a WHT of 15% or 30% for foreign residents.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Inve ... royalties/

And if there is no WHT deducted from the Woodside dividends is it because the dividends are franked? So is there no WHT for UK shareholders in any of the UK listed Australian shares such as Woodside, RIO, and BHP?

This is not normally the case though if a UK shareholder has shares in an overseas company. If a UK resident person buys shares in a French or German listed company they will usually have WHT deducted from their dividend.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 20th, 2023, 11:00 pm

Tara wrote:I have read all of the information from Woodside.

My questions were actually about Australian Withholding Tax and how it affected owners of Australian shares. I have never owned shares in Woodside and I was just enquiring if UK residents had any Withholding Tax deducted.

So if the final dividend for Woodside was 144 cents, will every shareholder including foreign shareholders have received this amount in their account? Is there no WHT deducted?

It says here on the Australian Tax Office site that unfranked dividends have a WHT of 15% or 30% for foreign residents.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Inve ... royalties/

And if there is no WHT deducted from the Woodside dividends is it because the dividends are franked? So is there no WHT for UK shareholders in any of the UK listed Australian shares such as Woodside, RIO, and BHP?

This is not normally the case though if a UK shareholder has shares in an overseas company. If a UK resident person buys shares in a French or German listed company they will usually have WHT deducted from their dividend.

If the dividends are declared as fully franked, there is no withholding tax liability, as I understand it.

TJH

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”