Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Some companies prices over last 5 months

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Some companies prices over last 5 months

Postby monabri » September 3rd, 2022, 2:58 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:
I’m sorry but you simply can’t ignore currency movements as you have done. I was being polite calling it dubious, it’s just plain wrong and very misleading.

It would be nice if you could just sometimes admit it rather than using data to mislead others as part of your anti growth shares, pro IT agenda

Thanks Si - I'll add that note into my little 'Why Si's shouting that someone's wrong again' book...

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Simeon's point seems a valid one, especially when one considers the influence exchange rate can have. With materiels and labour sourced from all over the globe, how can one ignore it?

Simple example, a HYPer holds shares in Unilever, HSBC, Vodafone, Rio, BHP, BP, Shell ....the dividend paid is affected by the exchange rate..maybe not significant if you hold one or two of these companies but it starts to add up if you own many. It can work in our favour or against ( at the purely dividends paid level).

Another example. I mentioned I was looking to buy into certain US shares (*) but the poor exchange rate is taking the joy out of it!

(*) Visa, MSFT, Adobe, Estee Lauder, Alphabet.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 3rd, 2022, 3:03 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
monabri wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I was merely observing the discrepancy. I did not intend to stir things up quite so much. Anyway, it seems that FCIT has performed quite well over the period discussed.

Dod

Hi Dod,

You haven't stirred things up at all. Indeed it was good of you to raise the mistake I made. Thank you.

Take care

AiY(D)

I had a quick look at the original table , AiY. I believe it's mostly correct with just a few things that need to be rechecked. All prices are 2022. Probably a bit overkill to quote to 2 D.P. but nevermind (and I'm not consistent in the table anyway)!

Those are straightforward changes in shareprices.

If you were considering selling the US companies, at least you'd recover some of the "loss" because of Simeon's point regarding exchange rates. The value of the pound to the dollar has fallen from 1:30 to 1.15, approx 12% drop since April 11th 2022 (unfortunate as there are some US companies that I would like to take a tentative buy but the poor exchange rate is significant).

Thank you Mon amie :)

Si's point is interesting as I didn't take currency changes into account and really should have. Digressing slightly I have considered topping up on both Bellway and Gleeson, but I'm not sure they haven't got a little further to fall yet, so I'm just waiting for a little more news flow, from both companies and keeping an eye on macro economic events.

Take care and next time will you please show all calculations to three decimal places :roll: . I know I'm already on the bus :lol:

AiY(D)

I should have that Gleeson is slightly better placed than the other housebuilders given the area of the market it is in but that may not be saying much. I am amazed at how much it has fallen.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 3rd, 2022, 3:12 pm

monabri wrote:
Simeon's point seems a valid one, especially when one considers the influence exchange rate can have.

Oh, I'm not trying to suggest that it's not a valid point.

I'm just highlighting that he's got a particular way of making his points sometimes that often feels like a boil-in-the-bag argument-fest, and I think this is just another good example of that...

There was a way of coming into the discussion here with a 'have you considered the currency effects guys?' approach that would of course have teased out the same valid but much more polite conversation, but we've seen the steamroller roll in again with strong accusations of 'wilfully misleading people', and then the usual 'agenda' nonsense...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 17th, 2022, 11:06 pm

Better late than never?

FCIT annualised 10 year return isn't at the top of the model portfolio. Have to say though I'm not sure if the return shows total returns including dividends. I suppose I'd best find out :oops:

Noting Gleeson is now trading at book value and Bellway continues to trade well below book value.

AiY(D)
PS. This is not a side swipe or pop at any posters in this thread. I'm discussing information :ugeek:

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”