Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Share Certificate - How to sell / Transfer to electronic holding

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Elementour

Share Certificate - How to sell / Transfer to electronic holding

Postby Elementour » June 7th, 2023, 5:11 pm

Hi folk's,

I am looking for some advice on shares certificates. Many years ago I made what turned out to be the biggest mistake I have ever made and bought some shares in a company that was listed on AIM. After some time they got delisted from AIM and my shares were transferred to the ASX Australian exchange as the company was previously duel listed. I just let this happen as I didn't know what my alternatives were and my investment was essentially worthless at this point anyway.

The company then eventually relisted on AIM and then were delisted from ASX at which point my shares were issued to me as a share certificate. So I now have a share certificate (the registrar is Computershare) for an Australian company that is delisted on ASX, but they do still trade on AIM.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have these shares transferred to electronic format so that they can be held in an online account and sold either now or in the future on AIM and how I could go about doing this or do I just have a worthless piece of paper?

Cheers

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Re: Share Certificate - How to sell / Transfer to electronic holding

Postby SPURLEY » June 7th, 2023, 5:21 pm

I opened a Share Isa account with Iweb at a one off cost of £25 about 2 years ago -- It is now £100 to open an account . I have over the last 3 months sent all my share certificates , a few at a time to Iweb to Bed and Isa . I have done this to avoid the Dividend tax , although it would not be much , but I just do not want to pay any tax .

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 7th, 2023, 5:31 pm

Elementour wrote:The company then eventually relisted on AIM and then were delisted from ASX at which point my shares were issued to me as a share certificate. So I now have a share certificate (the registrar is Computershare) for an Australian company that is delisted on ASX, but they do still trade on AIM.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have these shares transferred to electronic format so that they can be held in an online account and sold either now or in the future on AIM and how I could go about doing this or do I just have a worthless piece of paper?

If it is now listed on AIM and you have the certificate for that, it ought AFAIK, to be straightforward.

Assuming you have a share trading account, you just get hold of a copy of the CREST transfer document (usually available from the broker's website), fill it in and send it to your broker along with the certificate. This transfer in, to a nominee account, is usually not charged for. Once in the account you can sell them (if they deal in those securities) at their usual cost.

I would look at suitable broker sites to see what they say about all this - Transfer In of Share Certificates - and if they deal in your shares, before proceeding.

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » June 7th, 2023, 5:39 pm

I would try computershare in the first instance https://www-uk.computershare.com/Investor/#ShareDealingInfo, to see if they will convert the certificate to an electronic record. Then sell through computershare or transfer to another platform/broker

gpadsa

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 7th, 2023, 5:41 pm

gpadsa wrote:I would try computershare in the first instance https://www-uk.computershare.com/Investor/#ShareDealingInfo, to see if they will convert the certificate to an electronic record. Then sell through computershare or transfer to another platform/broker

computershare may offer to sell the share ditectly.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”