Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

THE BORING INVESTMENT GREEN ROOM

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Haylingchris

Re: THE BORING INVESTMENT GREEN ROOM

Postby Haylingchris » March 22nd, 2019, 9:28 am

I would much prefer this to remain where it is.

If it moves to Other Share Ideas, I'll never find it.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am

Haylingchris wrote:I would much prefer this to remain where it is.

If it moves to Other Share Ideas, I'll never find it.

If moved, they'll probably leave a shadow here that'll link to where it has gone. Further there are plenty of ways in which you can receive Notifications depending on your settings. If you already have them set-up they will continue as before.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: James Latham plc (LTHM)

Postby Bouleversee » March 25th, 2019, 10:15 am

PinkDalek wrote:The Board of James Latham is pleased to provide a trading statement ahead of the Company's results for the year ended 31 March 2019.

Revenue and profit before tax for the year ended 31 March 2019 are expected to be in line with market expectations. Integration of the Company's recently acquired business in Ireland, Abbey Woods, is going well and results so far have been encouraging.

The Board anticipates releasing the Company's preliminary results on 27 June 2019.

From https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 11356.html

How I hate that "expected to be in line with market expectations" as I haven't a clue what they are. Why can't they say? Or does it just mean the way the s.p. is moving? Do you happen to know what is expected, PD? All I know is that my holding is this company has been looking pretty depressed for some time though I now see there has been an uptick recently which I hope will continue.

TheCornishman

Postby TheCornishman » March 28th, 2019, 11:56 am

Good morning DSPP,

Thank you for the message and for the PM nudge.

Well, let me say firstly that despite the best of intentions, my woeful posting record suggests to me that my input on this topic ought to be indicative rather than binding on the administration here.

My immediate thought would be that I suspect moving BIGR to Share Ideas means it will get more attention. Some people will like that idea because if they take the effort to post, it is not unreasonable that they hope their hard work will be rewarded with eyeballs. No one can complain about that and most certainly not someone who rarely posts themselves.

That said, the rationale of this thread - one might argue - was precisely to avoid the more well-travelled routes to allow pilgrims a glade in which to rest in quiet contemplation. So moving it to a place where it might attract more attention could be seen as working against that original spirit.

But practically there is only a quantitative difference between a moribund thread and a dead one, so if the admin of TLF feel that BIGR needs to garner more interest in order to warrant its place in cyberspace then, of course, you must move it.

If, however, we are not bothering anyone too much by just sitting here deep in thought, then I suppose my slight preference would be to leave things as they are. Obviously if LemonFools want to post in other places they are free to do so, regardless of where BIGR happens to reside.

Not sure if it is worth explaining my silence. There is more of my kind of value kicking around at the moment than has been the case for some years and yet I have still not been tempted to post. Personally much of my investing since the Brexit referendum has been directed toward companies with substantial overseas business, because I have assumed that global growth would outpace UK growth until the Brexit uncertainty was resolved. That's not an argument in favour of any particular outcome, just the consequence of my observation that uncertainty does not tend to boost aggregate economic activity.

I don't think that was a terrible call and as a result I now have 'free' holdings in ABDP, DPH, RSW, TUNE & XPP, where costs were reclaimed after quick 'doubles,' plus BQE got taken out entirely. Clarkson has not played out so well so far, Rotork is bouncing around breakeven, whereas Mondi and Gooch & Housego are too recent purchases to make a sensible determination over. But the US interest rate panic and trade war have obviously levelled the playing-field somewhat and for the past few months we have been in a position where in the foreseeable future one might see some kind of deal between the US & China, as well as the beginnings of an outcome to Brexit, with associated and substantial Forex moves, which in all likelihood will make a difference in terms of how "global" or "UK" focused investments on the London markets might be likely to play out over at least a six- to twelve- month time period.

Faced with that kind of uncertainty one can either happily invest away and hope to dump everything before the excitement hits the fan (not for me because I don't believe I am nimble enough to make it work), one can try to balance one's exposure and hope that what is lost on the swings is recouped on the roundabouts, or one can wait. No prizes now for guessing which strategy I have selected. Sometimes I think the hardest thing to do is just sit on ones hands, but when I see some of the pastings that have being doled out recently to companies that disappoint, it fortifies my patience.

That said I could still have posted a little more than I have, but I am never convinced it is of much interest to anyone else for me simply to post saying 'I don't really know what to do.'

So there we go. My musings for what they are worth. But I reiterate what I sort of implied at the start. In terms of the motion up for discussion, I would say that the decision ought to be made by the LemonFool management team firstly, more frequent posters secondly and with my input coming in somewhere at the end of that.

I have, belatedly, switched on e-mail notifications, so that means I ought to be a little more 'present' from now on and I would certainly be interested to know what others think about the proposal to relocate.

So over to you...

Regards, good luck and happy investing to all.

dspp wrote:
Moderator Message:
There is a request from some Fools that this Boring Investment Green Room thread, which is in essence a sub-sub-board, be moved to Share Ideas.

Could anyone with a view on this please post replies here for consideration. This is not such a well-travelled Green Room so could we say thoughts in at some point in the next month, say by 21 April 2019.

If anyone knows the Cornishman personally could they please tip him/her off about this as his/her views would naturally be chewed over thoughtfully. (I am sending a PM to him/her of course).

regards, dspp

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 21st, 2019, 2:11 pm

TheCornishman wrote:... I have, belatedly, switched on e-mail notifications, so that means I ought to be a little more 'present' from now on and I would certainly be interested to know what others think about the proposal to relocate.

So over to you...

It is somewhat Boring in Other Investing, which is perhaps what you'd like. So Boring that nothing has been added since your explanations back in March 2019. I am guilty in that I think I was one of those who suggested this Topic could be moved to Share Ideas, thus dspp's post back then. Prior to that, there was nothing much since March and June 2018.

With regards to your My immediate thought would be that I suspect moving BIGR to Share Ideas means it will get more attention., yes, that would probably be the case, but Share Ideas is not a place which is overburdened with posts (save for the recent Burford thread, of course, the ever helpful MrC's Smallcap Sweeps and a few others where people attempt to get discussions going). It certainly doesn't have the volume of Paulypilot's of old. Nor any Cheese.

If, and only if, THE BORING INVESTMENT GREEN ROOM were moved there, it would be within the realms of posters/Moderators to remind others not to stray too far from your OP on this thread. If it isn't moved, it seems unlikely there'll be anything much added here, at all.

In all honesty, I think the choice should be yours and, if you are not already aware, such a move is capable of being done with aplomb by a number of the Volunteer Mods here, such that many often don't realise a Topic has been moved at all.

Your call, should you read this!

I'll leave my brief thoughts with a song from someone you may have heard before:

Who Knows Where The Time Goes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeZL2FXkGqI

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 22nd, 2019, 9:06 am

Then shortly this will relocate per your request :)

regards, dspp

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: James Halstead in The Boring Investment Green Room

Postby PinkDalek » October 1st, 2019, 11:46 am

James Halstead appears to tick a number of boxes in the Boring criteria as outlined by TheCornishman in his first post in this Topic.

The Prelims issued today provide a comforting read https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 48003.html although I suppose the historical pe at about 20 is still somewhat over exciting.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 1st, 2019, 2:36 pm

The dividend rise is not over exciting but at least the s.p. has recovered somewhat this year, which is welcome. I wonder by how much directors pay and bonuses increased.

G37y
Lemon Pip

Postby G37y » June 6th, 2021, 9:05 pm

just an update on post viewtopic.php?p=65907#p65907 I have now sold the last of my shares in RTC in the last few weeks at a painful loss. It was just the management greed not the state of the company which led me to sell in the end.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”