Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

David Hockney - Underground

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

David Hockney - Underground

Postby Sunnypad » May 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm

As a London lover - or should I say former - this is exactly how money should not be spent.

https://twitter.com/MayorofLondon/statu ... 4939371527

I have no doubt London is full of undiscovered artists and we could have showcased their work at stations.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: David Hockney - Underground

Postby terminal7 » May 13th, 2021, 9:52 am

I have no doubt London is full of undiscovered artists and we could have showcased their work at stations.

Oh dear me - what a fallacious statement. Clearly you no longer like London. You have a problem with Hockney, the Mayor, TfL etc ??

I won't go down the route of 'undiscovered' artists.

T7

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 13th, 2021, 10:57 am

Terminal7

What an odd reply

Did you commission this project?

Not just me who feels this way anyway

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/1968014-1968014

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 13th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Hockney's been coasting on his past reputation for years. Nowadays he's doodling on his iPhone and running up print runs of 250 @ £20,000 apiece. (https://www.artsy.net/artwork/david-hoc ... -dot-281-1, for example.) Not bad for an afternoon's work. :|

Never mind whether my granddaughter could do as well (she could), there are better ways of spending a budget, and more interesting people to spend it on. Replacing the Piccadilly underground signs with cartoon-land childish graffiti is hardly on the cultural level of Paolozzi at Tottenham Court Road, is it?

But what that's got to do with not liking London is beyond me. Care to explain your point?

BJ

(Paolozzi: https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2017/1 ... nd-artist/ )

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » May 13th, 2021, 7:32 pm

The difference is that Hockney is the greatest living British artist whereas Eduardo Paolozzi would just maybe have made the top 50 in his lifetime. However, he was a fine sculptor.

Of course being the greatest does not mean that some of your work can be found wanting.

T7

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 1st, 2021, 10:51 pm

Hockney = Zzzz.
I'm into contemporary art, been to many exhibitions over 30 years, endless galleries, have endless fat book$, some pictures (incl of his generation) etc etc. But Hockney is just 'kitchen art', pretty art and colours, one dimensional, as alien to most viewers as the artists story/life is to us.

Scroll down here for his 'iconic masterpiece', apparently: https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles/da ... the-splash
Could you have done better with $20-30mm (guide price). That the catalogue suggests a connection between Hockney's 'recognisability' [the depths of shallow] akin to Norway's Edvard Munch [the depth of torment and anguish played out on canvas] is wishful but sadly lacking.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 3rd, 2021, 12:18 pm

Dare I ask what you think of Basquiat?

T7

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 3rd, 2021, 2:43 pm

terminal7 wrote:Dare I ask what you think of Basquiat? T7

Haha! Art is so personal, esp. contemporary art where mood/feel etc can matter more than the image itself. Then there is relatibility which perhaps also helps.

I cannot relate to Basquiat on any level and wouldn't wish to live with any of his pictures; but of course others can and do. I have a Haring, bought when I worked in NYC, I get much of the vibe (FWIW I understand that Haring+Basquiat were acquaintances). I 'get' Warhol's prints churned out in his studio 'The Factory', the $-churning cynicism as blunt as early punk rock, though of course unoriginal by then. I can't say I'm a fan though. Edvard Munch yes I like, most will recognise some of his torment/fear, even if only in The Scream, a print of which I use to have on the back of the bathroom door facing the loo. A focus of interest visitors only saw when they er... sat down. Well, it hung there until I got married that was :lol:

I went to a fascinating Mondrian exhibition years ago (@London of course). But Tracy Emin I do not get. etc etc Which artists click for you, and are there any notable exhibitions in London coming up that you know of?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 4th, 2021, 2:36 pm

are there any notable exhibitions in London coming up

Well I am really looking forward to NFT at the NFT. Its being held in the projectionist booth - therefore invitation only. This will 'show' the latest in non-fungible token art. Some very exciting East European and Chinese 'artists' will be graciously providing hedge fund managers with the opportunity to 'beat the market'. BTW - nothing will be framed apart from the organisers at a later date.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 10th, 2021, 9:37 am

Actually seeing the British Basquiat at Tate Britain today - a certain Mr Turner.

T7

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » August 10th, 2021, 10:02 am

Art is so personal. I really like Hockney and my visit to his RA exhibition (A bigger Picture I think) a few years ago was one the most memorable I have been to (and I go to a lot).

Each to their own, but I feel that slagging off artists you don't like to be a little pointless. A little like the endless HYP vs TR debates we enjoy.

MM

PS - I recently enjoyed a walking tour of Bristol which focused on street art. I also enjoyed a similar one in Melbourne a little while ago (pre-pan of course).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 10th, 2021, 2:03 pm

MaraMan wrote:Each to their own, but I feel that slagging off artists you don't like to be a little pointless. A little like the endless HYP vs TR debates we enjoy.

My dear chap, people have been slagging off artists they don't enjoy since the Renaissance, and probably before. It's what keeps the art world turning.

"Oooh, that Caravaggio, he's a nasty piece of work if you ask me."

"Don't get me started on that stupid perspective stuff. Why do they insist on painting that way when everybody knows the world doesn't look like that?"

"Landscapes will never catch on, Mr Gainsborough. Yawn, I can't imagine why you insist on trying to paint them."

I'm quite glad that there are artists whose work I think is trite, self-obsessed and worthless. Warhol's Factory leaves me as cold as it did in the sixties. Rothko can give me all he likes of his inner torment, but I've got a black-painted wall at home that's more worthwhile than all of it because it actually holds up the house. And three cheers for anyone who tells me I'm talking complete BS, because it all makes life more interesting. Doesn't it?

BJ

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 10th, 2021, 2:31 pm

BJ states:
I'm talking complete BS*

Up to a point Lord Copper - now put that on a large canvass with application of dog poo - and the Tate Modern beckons (of course Chris Ofili partially been there but never mind).

T7

* context is all

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 12th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Well I went with the OH to see the Turner at the Tate. Turner is nowhere near our favourite artist and in normal circumstances we probably would not have gone. However, we are members and the dearth of Kulture in covid times had influenced our decision. Oh dear me - what a bore. Gallery three was entirely hand with seascapes - hmm - apparently Turner painted over a 1000 seascapes. There were lots of early Turner that were frankly 'amateurish'. It suddenly dawned on me that virtually every exhibit was part of the Turner Bequest to the Nation on his death (interesting legal background to this - worth a read). Hence we had either seen most of the wll known paintings or they had languished in the bowls of thje National Gallery and Tate for many a year.

Fortunately (for us) the Paula Rego exhibition is well worth a visit as is an amazing Commission in the Central Gallery by Heather Phillipson: RUPTURE NO 1: blowtorching the bitten peach. Take the grandchildren to this - well worth a visit even from north of Watford.

T7

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » August 12th, 2021, 1:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
MaraMan wrote:Each to their own, but I feel that slagging off artists you don't like to be a little pointless. A little like the endless HYP vs TR debates we enjoy.

My dear chap, people have been slagging off artists they don't enjoy since the Renaissance, and probably before. It's what keeps the art world turning.

"Oooh, that Caravaggio, he's a nasty piece of work if you ask me."

"Don't get me started on that stupid perspective stuff. Why do they insist on painting that way when everybody knows the world doesn't look like that?"

"Landscapes will never catch on, Mr Gainsborough. Yawn, I can't imagine why you insist on trying to paint them."

I'm quite glad that there are artists whose work I think is trite, self-obsessed and worthless. Warhol's Factory leaves me as cold as it did in the sixties. Rothko can give me all he likes of his inner torment, but I've got a black-painted wall at home that's more worthwhile than all of it because it actually holds up the house. And three cheers for anyone who tells me I'm talking complete BS, because it all makes life more interesting. Doesn't it?

BJ

If it makes you feel better please go ahead, but you probably won't change anyone else's mind :lol:

MM

Return to “London lovers”