Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Howard,bruncher,SalvorHardin,tea42,yyuryyub, for Donating to support the site

Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
nimnarb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 966
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519580

Postby nimnarb » August 3rd, 2022, 6:57 pm

Any good traditional pubs/restaurants with outdoor seating, nice atmosphere and views on the Thames in the surrounding area of Whitehall Place SW1 you could recommend? Don't mind travelling a bit(5 miles max) if needed as well. I'm a foodie so from hole in the wall places(does that exist anymore?) with great food, beef welly, lamb, roast beef and all trimmings, plus sticky pud included, to Michelin star if justified. As long as I can have a fag/cigar outside without being told off and weather is good, would be great. Thx.

scotview
Lemon Slice
Posts: 497
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:00 am
Has thanked: 246 times
Been thanked: 343 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519589

Postby scotview » August 3rd, 2022, 7:26 pm

nimnarb wrote:Any good traditional pubs/restaurants with outdoor seating, nice atmosphere and views on the Thames


We were down for a birthday and went to Oxo.

Good food, amazing river views, good service and reasonable costs, even bubbly was reasonable (for London)

Good for an after dinner stroll along the river also.

https://oxotowerrestaurant.com
Last edited by scotview on August 3rd, 2022, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon
Posts: 13999
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 3728 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519592

Postby Lootman » August 3rd, 2022, 7:30 pm

Around Whitehall/Westminster the riverfront real estate is generally too valuable for pubs in the normal sense of the word.

There is the Tattershall Castle moored off Whitehall Gardens that certainly has the views. But it was never cheap and I never ate there, so there's that.

I would head either West to Putney or Hammersmith. Or East to the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping. Not sure you will get Michelin quality food in any of them but as long as they have decent beer and a river view, that is good enough for me.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1127
Joined: November 13th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Has thanked: 677 times
Been thanked: 402 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519600

Postby bluedonkey » August 3rd, 2022, 7:35 pm

Founders Arms (Youngs) near Southwark Bridge I think, or Wetherspoons The Rocket at Putney Bridge, both with outside seating and river views.

Lootman
The full Lemon
Posts: 13999
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 3728 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519602

Postby Lootman » August 3rd, 2022, 7:39 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Founders Arms (Youngs) near Southwark Bridge I think, or Wetherspoons The Rocket at Putney Bridge, both with outside seating and river views.

I used to go to both regularly. The Founder's Arms when I worked for Shell. It is closer to Blackfriars Bridge. There is also the Anchor, Bankside a little further East.

In Putney I would choose the Duke's Head, just a little west of the 'Spoons, as long as you don't mind the boaty types.

dealtn
Lemon Half
Posts: 5043
Joined: November 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm
Has thanked: 388 times
Been thanked: 1750 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519608

Postby dealtn » August 3rd, 2022, 7:49 pm

nimnarb wrote:Any good traditional pubs/restaurants with outdoor seating, nice atmosphere and views on the Thames in the surrounding area of Whitehall Place SW1 you could recommend?.


I would suggest areas around Shad Thames or Hays Galleria near Tower Bridge. Le Pont de la Tour for instance, or Chop House?

nimnarb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 966
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519670

Postby nimnarb » August 4th, 2022, 3:18 am

Thanks all. Some good places to visit there, Tattershall Castle just round the corner from where I'm staying for 5 days before moving elsewhere nearby, so will definitely give that a go. Also going to visit King's Cross area. So changed since last there.(moons ago) https://www.coaldropsyard.com/ appears to have restaurants, shops, canals, walks, the lot, so should be interesting.

On my list this trip is Wiltons, Simpson's(just re-opened again)The Wigmore(Wigmore St). The Guinea(Mayfair) Restaurant 45(Jermyn St)(last year had a pear soufflé to die for)Rock and Sole Plaice Covent Garden, Bob Bob Ricard (Soho),Holborn Dining Room, Roast Borough Market for Sunday Lunch to name a few. So many choices, so little time.

scotview
Lemon Slice
Posts: 497
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:00 am
Has thanked: 246 times
Been thanked: 343 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#519704

Postby scotview » August 4th, 2022, 9:25 am

nimnarb wrote: canals, walks, the lot, so should be interesting.


Last time us teuchters were down in London, in that area, we lunched in the original pub "The Eagle". As in the nursery rhyme :
Up and down the City Road,
In and out the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes,
Pop goes the weasel.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice
Posts: 342
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 9:45 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520161

Postby malkymoo » August 5th, 2022, 5:46 pm

How about Greenwich? There is the Trafalgar not far from the Cutty Sark, probably other places. I used to know it about 40 years ago but could not give any recent recommendations. You could go on the Thames Clippers, makes a nice day out, plenty to look at in the close by.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1127
Joined: November 13th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Has thanked: 677 times
Been thanked: 402 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520168

Postby bluedonkey » August 5th, 2022, 5:59 pm

nimnarb wrote:Thanks all. Some good places to visit there, Tattershall Castle just round the corner from where I'm staying for 5 days before moving elsewhere nearby, so will definitely give that a go. Also going to visit King's Cross area. So changed since last there.(moons ago) https://www.coaldropsyard.com/ appears to have restaurants, shops, canals, walks, the lot, so should be interesting.

On my list this trip is Wiltons, Simpson's(just re-opened again)The Wigmore(Wigmore St). The Guinea(Mayfair) Restaurant 45(Jermyn St)(last year had a pear soufflé to die for)Rock and Sole Plaice Covent Garden, Bob Bob Ricard (Soho),Holborn Dining Room, Roast Borough Market for Sunday Lunch to name a few. So many choices, so little time.

Does Tattershall Castle do beer? Online just lists of gins, cocktails, wine.

Upmarket restaurants: Le Gavroche!

nimnarb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 966
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520199

Postby nimnarb » August 5th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Does Tattershall Castle do beer? Online just lists of gins, cocktails, wine.

Upmarket restaurants: Le Gavroche!


Yep, one of my all time favs, been going there since the early 70’s. Went last year, so think I will try something new. Never been to Wiltons so looking forward to that.

Thx.

Lootman
The full Lemon
Posts: 13999
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 3728 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520202

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2022, 7:33 pm

nimnarb wrote:Rock and Sole Plaice, Covent Garden

It claims to be the Godfather of London Chippies but personally I would rate The SeaShell on Lisson Grove near Marylebone Station. They do a fish and chips using Dover Sole although it is something like 40 quid! But portions are huge.

Had many a lunch there when I worked in nearby Dorset Square.

nimnarb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 966
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520217

Postby nimnarb » August 5th, 2022, 8:48 pm

Lootman wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Rock and Sole Plaice, Covent Garden

It claims to be the Godfather of London Chippies but personally I would rate The SeaShell on Lisson Grove near Marylebone Station. They do a fish and chips using Dover Sole although it is something like 40 quid! But portions are huge.

Had many a lunch there when I worked in nearby Dorset Square.


We’re you around let alone alive in the late 60’s when there was a great restaurant called the Barracuda on Baker St? I met my wife there. She was with a guy and I was with a girl. I kept staring at her, never seen anyone more beautiful and i have no idea why, but I just new she was the one for me. We are celebrating 50 years. I waited for her outside the loo and said “what took you so long” she said bloody cheek! You cocky sod! I said I will get rid of my date, if you do the same. We agreed and have been inseparable since! Probably the best decision I have ever made albeit she is failing health wise, hence probably the last time visiting our birth country, and doing all the things we would like to do.
Corinthia Hotel, Haymarket hotel and then The Berkeley.
Anyone around, delighted to buy you a drink.
Anyway, got off track. The wife can’t see so well so the fish and chip places do scampi which is easy for her to pick up and totally different to what they call scampi in the States.
Onwards.
Best. Bran.

Lootman
The full Lemon
Posts: 13999
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 3728 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520232

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2022, 9:44 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Lootman wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Rock and Sole Plaice, Covent Garden

It claims to be the Godfather of London Chippies but personally I would rate The SeaShell on Lisson Grove near Marylebone Station. They do a fish and chips using Dover Sole although it is something like 40 quid! But portions are huge.

Had many a lunch there when I worked in nearby Dorset Square.

We’re you around let alone alive in the late 60’s when there was a great restaurant called the Barracuda on Baker St? I met my wife there. She was with a guy and I was with a girl. I kept staring at her, never seen anyone more beautiful and i have no idea why, but I just new she was the one for me. We are celebrating 50 years. I waited for her outside the loo and said “what took you so long” she said bloody cheek! You cocky sod! I said I will get rid of my date, if you do the same. We agreed and have been inseparable since! Probably the best decision I have ever made albeit she is failing health wise, hence probably the last time visiting our birth country, and doing all the things we would like to do.

Corinthia Hotel, Haymarket hotel and then The Berkeley. Anyone around, delighted to buy you a drink.

That's a great story. I was around in the late 1960s but a teenager growing up in Muswell Hill who didn't get out so much, and mostly to Notting Hill Gate and Putney to see my Latymer buddies. I do not recall the Barracuda but I did not work around there until 1979.

When are you back and where do you live these days?

wanderer
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 102
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 2:44 am
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Pubs/Restaurants on the Thames?

#520234

Postby wanderer » August 5th, 2022, 9:50 pm

I would add my votes for the Founders Arms, The Anchor and would also add the Old Thameside Inn to the list. Great times at all those pubs and they are all very close to each other, so can easily be made into a little afternoon mini-pub crawl!


Return to “London lovers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest