Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stanley Green - Less Lust, Beans and Sitting

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Stanley Green - Less Lust, Beans and Sitting

Postby bungeejumper » May 15th, 2021, 3:42 pm

I wondered whether to post this under Curiosities, but decided that it would be more familiar to Londoners of a certain age. How many of us remember the Northolt nutcase who didn't appreciate nuts, or beans, or anything much that funneled those wicked proteins into our bodies?
Stanley was to be found on Oxford Street every day, generally outside Selfridges, except on Saturdays when he would relocate to Leicester Square. I spoke to him once, and he was very pleasant and not the least bit like the super-constipated Carry On films character I'd always imagined him to be.

He was much loved, in that curious way that Londoners love true eccentrics. When he died in 1993, the Times, Guardian and Telegraph all published obituaries. (And so did the Scotsman.) Apparently he sold 87,000 of his hand-printed leaflets during his lifetime. The power of porridge!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green

BJ

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Re: Stanley Green - Less Lust, Beans and Sitting

Postby Grumpsimus » May 16th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Yes I remember Stanley Green quite well, I used to work in London and frequently saw him, but usually around Oxford Circus rather than near Selfridges. In fact I am so old I remember when the leaflets were only 6p, they gradually increased in price over the years to 12p.

I always wondered what he had against Lust!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Stanley Green - Less Lust, Beans and Sitting

Postby bungeejumper » May 16th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:I always wondered what he had against Lust!

He said lust was the main reason why humans were cruel and nasty toward each other. It always seemed to me that either lust was physically foreign to his body and soul, or else that some other malign influence had knocked it out of him. Such as riding for four hours a day on that old boneshaker bicycle? :lol:

BJ

Return to “London lovers”