Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Welcome all :)

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Welcome all :)

Postby DiamondEcho » November 5th, 2016, 10:59 pm

This is a place for those who live in and know London, equally as those who do don't and who might be visiting.
For Locals to share those unexpected 'secret inter-neighbourhood events', but also help travellers navigate what they see as an times complex place.
Where to get this 'real experience' or that. Or an insiders tip on locals stuff you'd otherwise never hear about...

This is London Callling.

tieresias
Lemon Pip

Re: Welcome all :)

Postby tieresias » November 5th, 2016, 11:59 pm

I look forward to being called :-)

When we are both back in Blighty

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 6th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Snorvey wrote:So London gets a board before Scotland. Typical Westminster elitism. :-)

Discussing this earlier with the Admins I floated the idea that perhaps there would be scope and appeal in similar boards for other major cities or various regions. I tongue-in-cheek likened it to a BBC-esque regional devolution out of London. So I realise you're totally jesting but it would be great to see other boards for other places that in whole or part reflect the aims of this one.
I'm not entirely sure what defines it apart from say a Travel/holidays type of forum. Perhaps a sufficient critical mass of both locals and visitors alike that mean repeat-visits here to see what's going on vs a plain-vanilla Q+A type of thing... like Q+A plus 'Hey I just found this great place that I thought other locals might be interested in'... :)

[Odd in a way, I lived in London for c20 years, but since I've been abroad for 8 years and counting. But I like reading LLs posts, sometimes I can help, other times it often gives me an insight into what's going back 'ome].

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » November 6th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Snorvey wrote:So London gets a board before Scotland.

London has Three Times the population of Scotland! ;)

Anyway we're in E14, Canary Wharf. Anybody need recommendations or advice feel free to ask........

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 6th, 2016, 7:59 pm

YeeWo wrote:Anyway we're in E14, Canary Wharf. Anybody need recommendations or advice feel free to ask........

Isn't that just soul-less office-block-land?
Maybe you have some suggestions? ;)

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » November 6th, 2016, 8:21 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Isn't that just soul-less office-block-land?
Maybe you have some suggestions? ;)

Shoreditch, Brick Lane, Canary Wharf itself, Greenwich. Tonnes to see and do in E1, E2 and E14! Eating, Drinking, Highly Multi-Cultural and Vibrant. ;)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 7th, 2016, 8:05 am

YeeWo wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:Isn't that just soul-less office-block-land? Maybe you have some suggestions? ;)

Shoreditch, Brick Lane, Canary Wharf itself, Greenwich. Tonnes to see and do in E1, E2 and E14! Eating, Drinking, Highly Multi-Cultural and Vibrant. ;)

I was wondering whether you missed my ;) and started writing an apology as irony at times doesn't convey on the web as intended. And then I noticed your reply ends with a ;) , er and now I'm wondering if we've entered a form of irony-loop :lol:

Anyway, it's great to have an east-side export on board!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » April 28th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Desosa wrote:Me also new here and happy to be a part of this board. Hope it will be a nice time to talk with all board members.

Welcome Desosa! Which area [roughly] are you from? Any local points of interest?

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 3rd, 2023, 9:46 am

Having only just read this op and thread, my contribution:

I was born in West London and between age 13 and 17 educated at the City of London School (which in those days occupied the building overlooking the embankment of the River Thames close to Blackfriars Station). After leaving my parents' home my first and subsequent houses (I moved 3 times) were in NW London. Almost 30 years ago I moved away from London to the rural county where I live now. When I moved here the county population was approximately 300,000 about the same as London Borough of Barnet.

My work takes me throughout England and Wales but the bulk is in London (central and suburbs) so despite the long time living a long way away from the capital I am able to picture in my mind almost every main road and high street including how to get from one to another.

I have no desire to move back to London to live there. the capital has changed since I were a lad, the air quality isn't to my liking, the constant noise and free car parking on-street worse than ever. But because my work keeps London alive in my mind's eye, it is for me the only city (and town) in the UK that I can find my way around in without using a map.

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Bnc

Return to “London lovers”