Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

End of an F1 era, today.

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

End of an F1 era, today.

Postby Slarti » November 27th, 2016, 1:08 pm

With both Filipe Massa and Jenson Button retiring after today's race, things just won't be the same.

Two of the nicest blokes in the sport.

Slarti

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: End of an F1 era, today.

Postby staffordian » November 27th, 2016, 4:11 pm

True, but exciting times ahead with Vestappen again today giving an overtaking masterclass, more new drivers coming through next year and a clean sheet for next season as far as cars are concerned.

Not to mention behind the scenes changes as the new owners exert their influence.

I for one am looking forward to next season already!

Staffordian

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 27th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Well not the best of exits for JB with the car braking like that, but he seemed happy enough.

I do think that next season will be interesting, with all of the changes, but hopefully it won't give Merc the ability to be 5 seconds faster than everybody else. Again.

I know it was a bit artificial, but a close finish like today's makes it much more enjoyable.

Cheers
Slarti

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 27th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I think Jenson was lucky to get this extra season under his belt. He came so close to having to retire before, but he got this season for hs swansong. Last chance to earn a few more millions, to set him up even more for the rest of his life. As said, thoroughly nice bloke and would make a good replacement for Damian Hill on the commentary team. (Can't bear to watch Hill - his nervous mannerisms wind me up so badly.)

I think Lewis is in line for a fine from his team, for disobeying orders, even after Paddy Lowe came on to reinforce the instruction. Can't say I blame him, and he does have the opportunity to answer his team. "You wanted me to speed up because Ferrari were a threat. I didn't, and they weren't. Hence, your strategy forecast was wrong."

Poor Massa - world champion previously, for about 25 seconds. A great career, that could have turned out so differently after his head injury. I am always happy when drivers retire unscathed, despite the many hazardous situations they go through in their careers. I've enjoyed watching him over the years.

So what is there to look forward to? Obviously Max Verstappen who has incredible skills. He'll be better when he's lost the Roman Grosjean craziness, but he truly has unbelievable empathy with his car. His drive in the rain was sensational this season, and he's going to provide a lot of drama in the future.

And Lewis / Nico? I suspect that if it's just down to racing skill, then Lewis will triumph next year, he seems to have a flair that Nico doesn't have. Give Crazy Max a decent car though, and it could be Young Blood beats The Old Farts - and that's racing I'd love to see.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 28th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Can't argue with any of that, Hill being a large part of why I watch F1 of 4, when it is live.

Only thing I'd add to the team orders scenario is, before the race, the top people at Mercedes said that they were going to let them race. Having said that, what chance did they think there was that Lewis would obey team orders? Part of being a good manager is never giving an order that won't be obeyed, unless you are trying to set someone up for the sack.

Interesting comment in the 4 commentary soon after Max's pit stop wondering why Lewis wasn't backing Rosberg into those chasing. And they had mentioned it as normal tactics even before the race.

Slarti

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 29th, 2016, 8:47 am

Slarti wrote:Well not the best of exits for JB with the car braking like that, but he seemed happy enough.

I quite like it, I mean, the romantic says a win in your last race, or on the podium, but never in a month of sundays was that going to happen. Something breaks, and he gets to jump out the car and wave to the crowd and have his moment, rather than just finishing in the pack and being lost in the hoopla of the winner and the world champion celebrations.

Nice guy.

Ian

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 29th, 2016, 4:01 pm

I had wanted to quote his last radio message, as part of my farewell to him. I left it out as I couldn't remember the exact wording but still want to mention it.

With his right front wheel flapping around helplessly, drily Jenson said, "Something feels wrong with the steering..." Great understatement.

By the way, if you've not seen Jenson hijack Ted's Notebook, please enjoy the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBruqfFJus

A rather 'tired and emotional' JB - gentleman to the end.

compounder74

Postby compounder74 » December 2nd, 2016, 1:54 pm

Rosberg gone as well now!

ahenry

Postby ahenry » December 5th, 2016, 9:48 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I think Jenson was lucky to get this extra season under his belt. He came so close to having to retire before, but he got this season for hs swansong.

When I was at University, we had a kart club and would turn up at Clay Pigeon circuit near Yeovil on testing days. Jensen Button used to turn up to those with his Dad. I was a slow driver and we had very tired 100cc karts, but I could still blast past him on the straights, as he only had a 60cc lawnmower engine.

NomoneyNohoney wrote:So what is there to look forward to? Obviously Max Verstappen who has incredible skills. He'll be better when he's lost the Roman Grosjean craziness, but he truly has unbelievable empathy with his car. His drive in the rain was sensational this season, and he's going to provide a lot of drama in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I1cpZphH2I is a brilliant video of Verstappen's drive through the field at Brazil, with int on car camera footage and no commentary.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » December 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm

ahenry wrote:
When I was at University, we had a kart club and would turn up at Clay Pigeon circuit near Yeovil on testing days. Jensen Button used to turn up to those with his Dad. I was a slow driver and we had very tired 100cc karts, but I could still blast past him on the straights, as he only had a 60cc lawnmower engine.

The Clay Pigeon circuit is still there and definitely worth a visit on a race day if you are in the Dorchester/Yeovil area. Plenty of action, and either free or a token charge, I can't remember.

http://www.claypigeonkartclub.com/

DM

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”