Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 73

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 73

Postby UncleIan » January 6th, 2020, 9:46 am

At home to 6th, and we're at the business end of the season, so you have to make your home games count. I was going to have most of the ball unless something really weird happened, so could we make our chances count? Not unexpectedly they went for a CA, a 4-4-2. I'd toyed with a 2-5-3 but ended up with a standard 3-5-2 as they had some decent wing attacks. In the first half they missed three CA chances, and we missed missed a couple of chances, then scored with a free kick, they then equalised with a penalty. Second half we missed a few more chances, scored one, then they equalised from open play in the 89'. We had 70% possession, or the ratings say 94% of chances (ok, I only had a 30% chance of scoring v their defence, but they weren't exactly setting the world on fire with their attack either). Chances count actually 8-5. I'm feeling hard done by I've got to be honest. Spending some unearned credits suggests I should have won 14 times, draw 3 times, lost 3 times. Ho hum.

I suppose, lucky for me, other results were helpful, 1st place got back to winning ways after a three week wobble, DLD, on the right end of a 6-5 thriller. This meant I've swapped places up to 3rd in the table on 17 points. 1st on 23, 2nd on 22, but more importantly, 7th place, after three losses in a row and sliding down from 2nd if memory serves, are only three points back on 14.

Remaining fixtures:
W11. Beckenham (5th) v me
W12. me v Foxhall (2nd)
W14. Slackers (4th) v me

Next week looks like a coin toss/draw, as usual, I should get midfield, but not by much and neither of our attacks are up to much v our respective defences. But 6th is at home to 7th, and I'd expect a home win, but actually, I'm not sure I know anything with any certainty any more. 4th have the whipping boys so I'll definitely drop down the table if I don't win, mathematically I think it could be as far as 6th in the worst case scenario. Basically, it's all tight as a gnat's chuff in this league, and every week has two "six pointers". Yikes!

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » January 6th, 2020, 4:28 pm

This season has flown by.

3 games left.

In England, my £4m 17y/o quick levelled up to supernatural PM and I didn't want to take him further, as he needed a forward trainer to take him to the NT, and I'm focused on Powerful Forwards. So I listed and sold him for £7m. That took my finances hiugh enough to mean I felt obliged to strngthen the team, especially with a 4-2 loss in week 10 where we'd had 67-65% ball and 5 of the 11 game chances.

So I splashed £3m on a quick Wb 14d/15wg with 13SP aged 27 and and £5m on an unpredictable CD 14def/14PM/12Ps/20SP aged 28. I'll boost both on PM over the next couple of seasons. I value quick Wb as they stop quick SE from forwards and wingers, and unpredictable defenders seem to be getting a very nice return on SE chances created from my anecdotal experience.

Their first game was yesterday, and we had 49% but only 4 of 12 chances, not helped by a +1 to my resilient IM shortly before half time. He's still +1 today after the morning update but expect he'll be fit again next week but we lost 3-2 taking away the possibility for me to top the V.7 historical standings by the end of this season.

The consecutive losses also meant that I've lost the lead, and have dropped to 2nd. The team ahead of me is away to 3rd this week (I'm at home to 6th) before I visit them in week 13, both of us having a bot in week 14, so provided I don't slip up again this week, that's the title decider.

In Oceania I sold a 29y/o GK for £4.5m. Playing CA most weeks meant I've been subbing GKs at 45 minutes to keep defence ratings up, and as with my English team needed to invest in order to avoid funds getting locked away. £1.6m bought me an unpredictable 28y/o 'CA midfielder', with 14Def/8Wg/12PS/5Sc to bolster defence and attack ratings for my 5-3-2. He's since popped his wing to 9 with some unexpected 50% training because of injuries to priority trainees. I also bought a solid leadership 22y/o ET GK (wretched Def/SP) for £5m who can train Def/SP when I switch from wg shortly (next week) after my 4th Wb pops to titanic wing. The Oceanic NT manager prefers a 15Wg 18Def build for my homegrown to reach their NT and my English Wb can do this as well, 17/17 or 18/15 being acceptable targets.

Having lost the away leg of the double header (with no GK sub after the sale), we've won the next 3 fixtures, although yesterday's 1-0 over the bottom placed team who have 0pts hasn't helped the GD. We had 53% and 4 of 11 chances and should have converted about half the chances we created, based on the relative attack/defences.

This means that we are currently top ahead by just +2GD with fixtures coming of away to 3rd, away to 2nd and then home to 4th. 2nd are away to 8th this week, so staying ahead of them with my CA team on GD looks to be a tall order and we'll have to beat them in week 13 I think.

In South Africa I'm not going to detail the transfer activity, but I've bought quite a few kids from different African nations to train in SP and then defence alongside my GKs. We came back from 2-0 away to a CA from the team in 3rd (my long term rival as we started in the same series together) to win 2-3 yesterday, to keep me top, now 4pts clear of 2nd (who lost away to 3rd yesterday). I'm at home to 3rd this week, a tough one against a manager also training SA GK toward NT. My final two fixtures are against a bot and the team in 7th, so in theory I can afford to lose this week, and then prepare for a qualifier over the following fortnight. Even if I win, I'd expect to have a qualifier because of the volume of bots in the other IV leagues in SA, having chosen to get a more active league going with 7 active managers in ours.

Happy New Decade to you all, may your end of season run ins be filled with win.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 13th, 2020, 9:32 am

UncleIan wrote:Remaining fixtures:
W11. Beckenham (5th) v me
W12. me v Foxhall (2nd)
W14. Slackers (4th) v me

Next week looks like a coin toss/draw, as usual

And then, when I go and have an in-depth look at my opponent, I notice they've sold 5 players, all for £3-5m in the previous week, and had another three players on the transfer list to sell before the match. It was a confusing picture, because I think he trains defenders, but some seemed to swap between IM and Def. Anyhow, I figured things might be a little easier than I thought they were going to be, but set up with a 3-5-2 anyway, to try and stop their decent wing attack ratings. In the end, I had 80% midfield, and my attack ratings ratio was better than I thought it was going to be, considering they lined up in a 5-3-2 with their two new incoming 17 year old trainees straight into the starting lineup. 10 minutes in we scored from a longshot, then 16 minutes in scored a penalty. Missed two chances for a 0-2 score at half time. Second half they had a player injured and had no substitutes, classic post clearout error! We scored another and missed another, while they fluffed a chance, and I made a sub who managed to get booked the same minute he came on, that doesn't bode well for a future coach! Anyway, in the end a fairly straightforward 0-3 win chalked up. Chances were 2-7.

Where does this leave us in the league? We're still 3rd. Slackers (4th) had the whipping boys, but somehow contrived to only win by +4 goals, 7-3, we're level with them on 20 points, but have +6 on them goal diff. Foxhall (2nd) were at home to 1st, but couldn't get a result, like my opponent, losing 0-3 which leaves them just two points ahead of me, and four points behind 1st. 1st have the whipping boys next, so the title will go to them, Foxhall have the whipping boys the last week, so I need to win both my last games to get second place. Much more likely, looking over my shoulder, 5th on 17, 6th on 16, and 7th on 14. My gut feel is Beckenham having sold their talent will lose both their games, I wouldn't like to predict anything else, it does probably mean as I'm 6 points and +8 ahead of 7th I've probably avoided auto-relegation, and possibly with the fixtures it might well be mathematically impossible for them all to overtake me, I can't work it out though. I do know that the current 5th place finish the season away to 1st, and you'd expect that to be a heavy loss, which should keep them below me. All to play for.

Next week I play Foxhall (2nd), who have the whipping boys the final week. So I might be facing a MOTS. That's not going to help. As ever, it'll be a "I've got all the ball, can I score?" type game. Fingers crossed the answer is yes.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » January 13th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Away to a bot, and the resulting 0-8 win puts us 8 pts ahead of second, which means we are the league champions. Yay.
Just need to secure the autopromote now, the last two games are against #3 and then #2. 2nd place has been improving fast all season, but I would like to think he will want me out of the league and not stand in my way (too much).
e

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » January 15th, 2020, 9:47 am

Two week catch up:

Div IV

The first week was a bot, so no problem.
Last week I was away to the league leader - and expected to lose. I went 550 Long Shots, and failed miserably. Lost 5-0.
The title is unattainable, so looking to see what I can salvage from the rest of the season.
Sitting in 3rd on 21 points. 2nd has 28 (so uncatchable). 5th is on 17 points, and faces the dominant league leader in the final game - which he will surely lose. So no prospect of a qualifier, and will therefore battle to hold onto my 3rd spot.

Next week I'm going 550 Long Shot again, but will dominate midfield and I'd expect to take the 3 points.

Div VI

Only bots left now, so season over. Sitting 6 points above the autopromotion line, so Div V awaits.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » January 15th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Quiet weekend for me.

In England in 2nd we beat 6th 3-1. This weekend we are away to 1st who are a point ahead. We are 6pts clear of 3rd.

In Oceania we were 2nd away to 3rd and won 1-4. We are away to 1st this weekend who are +3GD ahead. We are 6pts clear of the new 3rd who we face the following week. Spent £5m on an unpredictable English Wb yesterday as the team begins for 3.5 seasons of defender training (he plays this evening).

In South Africa we were 1st vs 3rd and drew 0-0. We face the bottom 2 (including a bot) over the remaining fortnight and we are 2pts clear at the top, but below the auto-promote line (as most teams promote from a league full of bots in IV SA).

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » January 19th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Nearly there now.
A 2-0 home win with a PIC against third, and with second place only getting a draw, leaves us 10 pts ahead.
We play away to second in the final game. Can't afford to lose, as our GD would then require us to play a qualifier, and I dont fancy that. So we will give it a good shot. Good luck to anyone else facing a crucial match!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 20th, 2020, 9:22 am

Yup, nearly the end of another season, where does the time go? etc etc.

This week were (3rd) were at home to 2nd. I knew we'd get possession, but could we score? We went with a standard 3-5-2, while they went for a 2-5-3, which should help me score! Sure enough, 20 minutes in and we go one ahead, only for them to equalise three minutes later. The tide turns our way though, and we go into the break 3-1 up. Early in the second half we make it 4-1, and they get a consolation goal in the final minute. A 4-2 win to the Albumen. 9-2 on chances and looked like a fair result based on the stats. A sunny day gave us an almost full house too, apparently no one wants to sit in the shade on a sunny day.

This means we're 2nd. In III. In round 13. We are breaking new ground, having never survived a season in III before, in fact, never not been auto-relegated, these are heady heights! First place won against the whipping boys, though when I had a sneaky peak at half-time they were 1-0 down and only pulled it back to 1-4 by the final whistle. Whipping boys have let in an average of 7 goals a game, and only scored 10 all season, so being 1-0 up by the end of a half was entertaining. So first are on 29 while we are second on 23, erstwhile 2nd slipped down to fourth on 22 points, as the new third place team picked up a handy win to move up a place, and they like me are on 23. Fifth now on 20.

Final match of the season we are away to 3rd. Fourth have the whipping boy, while fifth are away to first. In theory then, if fifth win (unlikely but...) they'd need to make up a +4 goal difference to overtake me. First have only lost twice this season, and both were fairly tight games. Of course, I could get humped by 3rd. I can't quite work out the stats, looking at the team analysis, looking at the last three games it looks a straightforward for us, but go back further and it's much more even, it's like their midfield all fell down a well, but they haven't done loads of transfers or anything. I can't believe with the league so tight they've been sandbagging in prep for the final match but you never know. Will have to have a nose around and see if I can work it out. The next question then is whether to go for it, or hold a bit back just in case other results go against me and I end up with an unlikely qualifier. Lots to ponder.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » January 20th, 2020, 10:46 am

Div IV

Next week I'm going 550 Long Shot again, but will dominate midfield and I'd expect to take the 3 points.

Dominated midfield, and scored 2 goals. Opponent had just 3 chances, and my defense ratings were 82% to 90% in my favour.
Based on the maths I would have been disappointed to let in 1 goal - obviously the ME decided to screw with me and they scored twice.
2-2 final score. :evil:

A win this week would have put me 5 points clear of 4th, and leaving me with a dead rubber for training purposes.

The draw however puts me in 3rd place on 22 points.
2nd is on 31 points, and 4th and 5th both have 19 points. All have superior GD to me.
4th plays 2nd, and should lose - but 2nd has nothing to play for and could throw the game. 5th has a bot.
I either want to be in 3rd or 5th - 4th just seems a bit pointless.

If I play to lose, then I could end up in 4th or 5th but it's largely out of my control. If I win I keep 3rd - so that's what I'll do (not withstanding ME brain farts)

Div VI

Bots only and already Champions.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » January 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm

That pretty much wraps up the season for me.

In England I was 2nd away to 1st, both of us facing a bot next week. Possession was 50/50 but they went 4-5-1 to my 3-5-2, making conversion trickier for both of us. They went 1-0 up with a 6th minute penalty (questionable one at that) but it was 1-1 at half time. On 76 my divine SP taker justified his transfer fee with a stunning free kick to put us 1-2 up and we put the game to bed on 82 with my star NT PNF trainee scoring the third. This puts us 2pts clear, and with 3pts and a considerable GD to make up behind the auto-promote line, we are heading for a nice xp gaining qualification game, with a PIC vs Bot to recover some TS beforehand.

In Oceania I was 2nd away to 1st, playing 5-3-2 CA. They were 3-5-2 with 80% ball and 38-35-33% attack to my 56-41-55% attack. After 18 minutes they were 2-0 up scoring 2/2 on the left (38% side). 9 minutes later we went to 4-3-2 as a CD picked up a straight red. my weakest of the 3 CD but still... this boosted both side attacks by 1% and their central attack by 2%.

Spurred on, my 10 men bagged an wing to anyone SE and converted a CA up the middle, but they replied to convert one on the right to go 3-2 up at half time. On 65 I stamina subbed my GK and had both Wb and one Wg to go defensive. Their attack % was now 38-38-36% and improving as my outfield [layers began to run out of stamina. On 68 their PNF had a chance (his PM vs my 2 CD's Def to create that chance - would have been tougher vs 3) and converted against my ET GK and 10 minutes later they bagged a corner to anyone SE with 6.5 att vs 9.25 def indirect SP ratings. We did have 2xCA chances in the 2nd half, one on each flank but failed to convert either, losing 5-2. The scoreline was probably harsh 329 vs 327 hatstats and we had a divine CA rating despite the red card.

The loss means we're now 3pts and -9GD behind the team that beat us. He's away to 4th and I'm home to 3rd this weekend. Can't really see us finishing top, but we could drop to 3rd if we lose the final game, as they're already +2GD and 3pts behind us.

In South Africa we beat the only bot 1-8. One of my original inherited squad (now age 22/9) bagged 4 goals to take him to 14 for the season, and well on course for the golden boot award, 6 goals clear of his nearest rival. He's solid scoring, excellent PM and popped to supernatural SP this week... We remain 2pts clear and playing 7th in the final week. I'm 4pts behind the auto-promote line so an xp gaining qualifier lies in wait here too, provided there's no slip up next week. Sadly South Africa don't look likely to progress to Q2 of the U20 WC, so my GK will not be needed for that.

There is some possibility that the age requirements are changing so that players can remain eligible to age 21/111 (U21 rather than U20), so he may yet have his opportunity anyway.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 27th, 2020, 9:59 am

UncleIan wrote:Of course, I could get humped by 3rd...I can't believe with the league so tight they've been sandbagging in prep for the final match but you never know.

I decided to PIN, and it turned out they had been, well, if not sandbagging, maybe recovering from a MOTS (away to the runaway leaders? Seems like an odd thing to do but...) We'd gone with a gung-ho 2-5-3. We'd joked in the chat about engineering a draw as that would see us both safe, and my oppo jested we could try but it'd probably end up with a 6-5 final minute winner. The predictor had me at 60% or so percent of midfield chances*, in reality I tune in after 15 minutes and they're the ones with 60% chances in midfield. And we're 1-0 down. They are AIMing for some reason, and they're divine+5 at it. Good job the 2 of the 2-5-3 are both CBs then!

* Or whatever those standard percentages mean now.

First half continues, we equalise, the lose a side attack to the middle, they score a penalty, my goalie gets a mention, and we equalise for a halftime 2-2.

Second half and there's another mention of their AIM tactic. Then they score another goal for 4-2. Next, on 76' one of my defenders is knocked cold, and his replacement has magnificent rather than passable playmaking, and it looks like from the graph their stamina isn't as high. Possession now 50/50 on 80 minutes. We bang in a couple of goals in quick succession for 4-4 on 83', and by 87' it's now 6-6. Things calm down and the final whistle goes and that's the final score, 6-6. An end of season party atmosphere fills the sold out stadium and the fans all go home happy.

That draw means we're safe from the qualifiers, though it turned out to be irrelevant as 5th place lost heavily to 1st who will have a qualifier. 4th had the whipping boys and duly jumped up to second place on 25 points, we drop a place to 3rd on 24, my opponent also dropped a place to 4th, also on 24. So we'll be bookending the season again next term. Looking back, the first match of the season was 4-4, so that's 20 goals in two matches, two draws and end on the same points with only a +6 goal diff in my favour. Madness!

So after 25 seasons since my last foray into III, and every other time ending in an auto-demotion, we finish third on 24 points. W6 D6 L2. I'm pretty happy with that I've got to say.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » January 27th, 2020, 1:35 pm

What a fun opponent to have, 6-6 is an excellent result!

Two dull games won this end to secure 2 qualification matches next week for both my South African and English teams. Both matches look to be too tough to expect a winning result, but the extra xp and gate will be very welcome.

In Oceania I was 2nd at home to 3rd. They'd played 2-5-3 in a recent friendly, so I went with both wingers set defensive (and they are both titanic defending) both Wb set defensive and one CDTW on the side that they usually weight more heavily, with 2xCD and an unpredictable IMD (14 Def). ET GK back up and 2 normal forwards, on CA (Divine rating).

They went 2-5-3 with all 5 midfield/wingers set offensive and 2xCDTW. They had 70% possession and 28-41-37% attack the 37% being the side normally weighted more heavily and 12.5 and central attack was 14.75. They also decided to play creative... I started with an average diving defence 20.25-20.5-19 defence and 59-52-57% attack ratings.

The decision to play creative from them was unexpected. They have no quicks and just fielded 1xunpred and 1xhead in midfield and 2xPNF although the powerful event is not an SE but an 'other' event like a free-kick or pen ... I fielded a PNF 2xQWg a QFwd and 2xunpredictables.

We then opened the scoring with a quick SE created by my forward 7 minutes in. 2 minutes later they convert a chance through the middle, and 20 minutes later converted another chance up the centre. Their conversion rate up the centre was double what the ratings suggested, but that can happen..

Our first CA chance came 2 minutes later as a save from anther chance up the middle was swiftly turned into a CA up the right, converted by my lone defensive IM. 2-2 at half-time.

A miss from then on 52 led to another CA chance up the middle, where we had an expected 50% conversion rate, but no dice. We had another quick SE chance on 55 but the pass went to my other winger who was unable to convert with his inadequate scoring (not something I train for my Wb) A 3rd CA chance came on 68 again up the middle and we were unlucky to convert neither, and a bit unlucky that the distribution didn't give us 2/3 on our side attacks.

On 71 they converted their 3rd of 6 chances up the middle, of 10 chances in all, in their strongest attack sector. putting them 2-3 up and although I had conditional orders to switch wings to normal from defensive to try and improve attack ratings, we just had no more chances left, and so that's how it finished. They already had superior GD to us prior to kick off, so slipped past us dropping my boys into 3rd by 4GD.

Hatstats of 349 for us vs their 276 and it was the first time they've beaten us in 4 attempts. We have scored 9 over those 4 games to their 8 and we drew 3-3 in our first encounter, so our rivalry, whilst not quite the goal fest Ian has been having, is no less intense.

Worth noting had the only 2 SE of the game, both being quick events, so that can go down as the reason we've scored one more than them over the 4 matches!

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » January 28th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Season was wrapped up with a 0-3 win away to the team in second, so its a clean sweep with 14 wins (dont panic, its series V, we aint that good!) and we can try our hand again in series IV next season. Lets see where we end up league-wise, then I will let you know if we are doing the yo yo and coming straight back down to series V again...

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » February 5th, 2020, 12:44 pm

So the playoffs didn't quite pan out as expected.

In England they did, as I was beaten 7-1 by Inter Women who had 58-59%, 9 of the 13 chances and 335 to 282 hatstats, I did splash out on another NT trainee forward in the morning, but we were still bettered in every area of the park.

In South Africa my opponent had a forward suspended, but were still going to be big favourites. I went 5-5-0 Long Shots (training my GKs set pieces at the moment) and produced a shoddy outstanding rating at that. This meant I was only ever likely to get one LS chance and that chance had about a 30% chance to fall to one of the players that might have a 50/50 to convert. This is why they call it long shots, right?

The opponents had 63-62% ball, 8 of the 12 chances and 285 to 207 hatstats. Their attack ratings were 41-46% at kick off so despite my attempt to take advantage of their missing forward, they really should have won this won comfortably. They struck on 23 to go 1-0, and even had a PNF chance on 70 to take the lead but my young GK managed to keep that one out. That was the turning point. On 76 we had an unpredictable SE from my other GK playing as CD for the xp gain (solid leader) 1-1. Then on 77 we got our LS chance, it fell to my most expensive signing, but his SP/scoring combo are not yet strong enough and it remained 1-1. On 81 we had a Hail Mary conversion. We had 25% up the right which equates to approx 2% conversion rate. One in 50, and it went in. IT WENT IN!!!! 1-2.

Extraordinary, Jim. That's why we are the 'Lucky' Pangolins!

Promoted to III and with a bot and a a weaker auto-promotee also going up to my new league, we might just be able to stay up!

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”