Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fury vs Wilder II

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Fury vs Wilder II

Postby Itsallaguess » February 23rd, 2020, 6:08 am

One of the better title matches of recent times.

A master-class from Fury, and ultimately disappointing from Wilder, who took a bit of a battering throughout, but at least they both wanted to fight.

Once Wilder's legs went there was really only one outcome, but it was a great result away from home for Fury...

Ending here for anyone who missed it -

https://streamable.com/mrtro

Looks like Fury v Joshua might be on the cards then....

The after-fight karaoke was good too....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fury vs Wilder II

Postby Leothebear » February 23rd, 2020, 9:17 am

Well there you go. I never really rated Fury. I thought he'd get caught this time.

When you see what Wilder has done to others, it puts Fury's performance into perspective.

Don't fancy Joshua's chances too much.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » February 23rd, 2020, 9:25 am

Leothebear wrote:Well there you go. I never really rated Fury. I thought he'd get caught this time.

Me too, he never seems to look convincing in his wins. Thing is though he was caught twice in the first fight and got back up. That's gotta dent Wilders confidence since he's blown most others away with that right hand. I honestly thought Wilder won the first fight. I agree that technically Fury probably won but I just disagree with the way boxing gets scored in general. So many rounds where nothing really happens got scored to Fury which I think should be scored 10-10.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 23rd, 2020, 9:50 am

Leothebear wrote:
Well there you go. I never really rated Fury. I thought he'd get caught this time.

When you see what Wilder has done to others, it puts Fury's performance into perspective.

It looks like Wilder suffered a burst eardrum in the third round, which is likely to have caused most of the issues he had with his balance for the rest of the match. He was rushed to hospital straight away after the fight, and that seems to be one of the main reasons for the towel being thrown in at the end.

Leothebear wrote:
Don't fancy Joshua's chances too much.

Totally agree, although whilst Fury's next big fight might be with Joshua, it will be interesting to see if above eardrum issue gives Wilder the idea that this wasn't as big a fighting-upset as it looked, and that it might give him the excuse he needs to open up the re-match clause that he's got 30 days to trigger...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm

I watched this live on BT with my son and it was an exciting watch. It was clearly the best Fury has ever fought, he showed up Wilder's lack of boxing skills very clearly. But Wilder coming in the ring at a weight one and a half stone heavier than last time round was not a good sign for him. Great fight from Fury and all the more remarkable for the back story and his recovery from his mental issues though.

However last time around his fight with the relatively unknown nobody Wallin seemed to cause him a few more problems and could well have been stopped with his bad cut so he is far from invincible.

Joshua is capable of causing him some problems if he boxes as well as he did in his last match against Ruiz and I really wouldn't like to call that fight when it eventually takes place.

I would not be at all surprised if Wilder gets a rematch before a Joshua/Fury match...lots of money at stake.

John

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 25th, 2020, 8:09 pm

It looks like Wilder suffered a burst eardrum in the third round, which is likely to have caused most of the issues he had with his balance for the rest of the match. He was rushed to hospital straight away after the fight, and that seems to be one of the main reasons for the towel being thrown in at the end.

No he didn't. His bugbear was his costume. LOL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51631370

After this claim it's difficult to believe that Wilder, who may now be past his best, will get the better of Fury, provided Fury keeps in shape.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » February 26th, 2020, 8:38 am

40lb costume - wow - yesterday the lady next to me in the gym was lifting 10k in each hand - but then I suspect she is over 60 and weighs maybe just under 10st. I could only make 7.5k in each hand - but then I am well over 70 and weigh half of Wilder.

40lb costume - you got wupped!

T7

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 26th, 2020, 9:19 am

terminal7 wrote:40lb costume - wow - yesterday the lady next to me in the gym was lifting 10k in each hand - but then I suspect she is over 60 and weighs maybe just under 10st. I could only make 7.5k in each hand - but then I am well over 70 and weigh half of Wilder.

40lb costume - you got wupped!

T7

LOL should have been carried into the ring on a large throne like Fury, he never broke into a sweat!

John

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 28th, 2020, 8:41 am

Do you have a link for it Snorvey?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 28th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Leothebear wrote:Do you have a link for it Snorvey?

Full fight here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw8YZ_h1cDE

John

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » February 28th, 2020, 9:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Full fight here.

John

It's not the full fight as it misses the decisive walk-ins :D

But seriously, thanks John I had only seen the highlights.

I thought Fury's movement (and head movement especially) looked very un-Furyish, not sure if it was just too subtle for me, or because he didn't need it.

Also, in the clinches the ref was 80% hands on Fury and 20% WIlder. It might be just because it was always Fury that was moving forward, but it seemed biased to me.

I guess Fury thought so too, licking in the clinch after having a point deducted for punching.

This break almost seems like the ref is setting Wilder up with a gimme
https://youtu.be/tw8YZ_h1cDE?t=1564

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 29th, 2020, 9:30 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Leothebear wrote:Do you have a link for it Snorvey?

Full fight here.

John

Thanks John

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”