Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 73

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Hattrick Season 73

Postby Donut102 » October 17th, 2019, 8:23 am

A new season is upon us, and chance to reflect on last season:

Team

Average age of my first XI is still 24 (last season: 24). It was turning into a nicely competitive team, but I had a couple of graduates from the Academy I wanted to retain and train. So I've gone backwards in the short term, but this time next year Rodney......

The 2nd team is just chugging along training PM. Not competitive at all.

League

IV: Last season I said: Aiming to get 5th or 6th and consolidate my position.
5th place achieved, and survived (just!) the qualification. The new teams in the league don't look that bad and will target top 4.

VI: Last season I said: I'd prefer to finish 2nd as I build up the fan base and the stadium.
Hmmm... managed 4th. Looking to move to a league of bots this week.

Cup

R9 last season (prior season R5). Pretty pleased with that cup run, and got knocked out by a prem team delivering in excess of 500 hatstats. Men against boys really.

The 2nd team will be knocked out in R1....

HatStats

Last season I said: Hatstats max up from 313 in season 69 to 387 season 70, and 389 season 71.
400 would be nice...

I actually delivered 439 hatstats last season, so a terrific improvement. However bringing in 3 new academy players this season means that will not be repeated for a couple of seasons yet.

The 2nd team delivered 173....

Coach

Last season I said: Excellent coach, Poor leadership.
Will need replacing soon. I have a Solid leadership replacement lined up with 10 experience - cost to replace £2.5m. Works out about £20k/ week.

No change - he's hanging onto that poor leadership for dear life....

For the 2nd team I have a high experience player waiting to be made excellent coach. Only problem is I need £1.5m to convert and the team is skint. I'll sell a player when they get to a £2m valuation.

Cash

£10m in the main team, which will only grow as I sell a titanic PM to make room for an academy player. This means money will go into reserves, which I'm fine with - it's pretty easy to get back out again using a finance director. I've never been tempted to store cash in a future coach as it seems too risky, and I'm not that active on the transfer market.

2nd team is skint, but now the fans are up to 706 this will start to change quickly

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 73

Postby UncleIan » October 17th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Team

Last season:
Average age of my first XI is now 25. Really not sure what to do with my team,

Average age now 26. Didn't sell any players last season, bought two CB possible future coaches, one 24, one 34.

League

Have auto promoted to III.1. Ranked 16 of 16. Team coming down is probably going straight through, all the rest are pretty even. League will be a mystery as there's five new teams in it, 5th and 6th both losing their qualifiers. Looks like it could be pretty competitive, we've got the 5th best team on average stats and stars, but the second best midfield. Getting enough rub of the green may be crucial.

What I'd really like to do is unlike the other 3-4 times I've got up to III, not get auto-demoted. Not exactly a lofty ambition I know. It's been 7 (seven) actual years and 25 seasons since my last failed attempt. I think I'm in better shape this time. Decent (ex-England U20 etc) homegrown goalie, all my IMs homegrown and handy...we shall see.

Cup

R5 last season, I guess I should get easier opposition for one more round thanks to my ranking, but it's a bit of a lottery.

HatStats

Dunno, but the last game of last season was my best ever apparently, a home game, but not a MOTS. Which is nice.

Coach

Currently excellent with poor leadership. A CB can take over, but not until week 10, which is fat use for this season. Half tempted to convert a passable leader, just to help with TS which might be crucial this season, but that's a hill of beans to spend on conversion, especially if I plan to stick with an excellent coach.

Cash

£4m in the bank. That's okay. Must remember my coach conversion plans and not spend it all. Though, to be honest, not sure, with transfer prices, I could make my team any better with "just" £4m.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 25th, 2019, 10:54 am

Short note to say, I guess mostly due to no one being really bothered about it any more, a week or two back I was 3rd in the Surrey ladder, quick look at 2nd suggested they'd given up...5-0 walkover, then 1st's default match orders not being very up to date, so fielding an interesting 0-5-3 formation, 9-2, and I'm currently THE BEST TEAM IN SURREY*! Woo, go me. :D

* That's taking part in the ladder.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I'm currently THE BEST TEAM IN SURREY

Nice!
I've managed the lofty heights of the 2,685th best homegrown team.....

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 28th, 2019, 9:19 am

First game in III for years, and we're at home to a fellow autopromotee, they're no mugs, but I reckon I'm getting the lion's share of possession, so set up with an aggressive 2-5-3. For some reason I PIC. I suspect that's my default orders and I forgot. Match starts and they're also in an even more aggressive 2-5-3, and AIM (divine), but they have 54% possession. Oh. 10 minutes in and we're 0-1 down. 14 minutes in and one of my defenders is off injured, luckily, I didn't get round to selling any, so I have strength in depth, replacement is worse, but only a little. 24 minutes in we equalise, then 4 minutes later, one of my wingers gets crocked. I already have one crocked winger, so his replacement is a homegrown winger that came out my youth team with excellent winger, but I've been training him in PM. We go into the lead and it's 2-1 at halftime. They come out all guns blazing and equalise, before I sneak ahead again, they equalise again, I get another goal, and yet again they equalise. Last ten minutes I've got my fingers crossed we don't lose it. We don't win it either, final score 4-4. Chances were 6-5, and looking at the stats it looks like a fairly reasonable result, in fact, a win either way wouldn't have been robbery either. I'll take a point, better than nothing.

Elsewhere the demoted team got pasted as he's still rebuilding, and another managed to not set a team and gave up a walkover. Long may that continue!

Next week looks tough, away to current first place. They were taking it easy at the weekend, so a bit difficult to predict their strength. I won't be PICing again that's for sure.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 28th, 2019, 9:33 am

Div IV

At home to a newly promoted team. I went 532 (Defender training) with an AIM tactic (Divine +3).
We dominated midfield, and we had a 59% chance of scoring down the middle.
Out of our 8 chances, 4 fell to the middle, but we only converted one of those. A second goal came from a PNF special event.
Opponent scored 1 of their 3 chances on the left wing, where they only had an 18% chance of converting.

So pleased with the 2-1 win, but it was far tighter than it should have been.

Div VI

Beat a bot 5-0 using 451 to gain some experience.

Anyone else signed up for the league battles?

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 4th, 2019, 9:40 am

Donut102 wrote:Anyone else signed up for the league battles?

Yup. Could be a laugh, and spurr the league forum banter a bit.

This week we were up against a team with their tails up, having handed out a 7-0 pasting against the league whipping boys. I didn't really know what to expect, they seemed to vary from 2-5-3 to 4-3-3 to 3-5-2. I'm not sure I thought too much about this one, apart from thinking I'd still edge midfield. I think they guessed we'd go attacking, and lined up with a 4-3-3 CA which they're utopian at...ulp! They weren't wrong with their guess, we went 2-5-3. First half they missed two CAs, and I missed a normal chance. 0-0 at the break. Second half and they missed another CA, and I missed another normal chance, before we suddenly banged in a couple of goals and that was that. Final score 0-2. Chances were 5-9, and looking at the stats, it looks about the right score. Woo! An away win! In III!

Actually, an away win, in III, I was wondering how rare a beast that was. It looks like that's this is my fourth tilt at season in III, and my first away win since I beat the whipping boys of the league III.9 back in season 40. That's ten actual years ago, give or take a month. My opponents are not whipping boys.

We're now in third on four points, we've definitely got a poor team that's dropping through the leagues on a rebuild, but the team that gave a walkover last week has woken up. Next week we're at home to that woken up team, they got a point yesterday, I'm assuming confidence takes a hit from a walkover as much as a loss would do. They look like they've got a massive defence, and decent wing attacks, so probably a 3-5-2 PIN for me.

Oh, and our league is 16 of 16. Glad I landed there!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 4th, 2019, 11:23 am

Div IV

We were away from home to one of the auto-promotees. I had this down as a potential win, and went 532 AIM, thinking I would edge the midfield battle.

No such luck - opponent won possession and got 7 chances to our 6. Of our 6 chances, 3 were in the middle where I had a 50% chance of scoring. Obviously none went in....
Opponent got 4 chances down the middle with just a 32% chance of scoring, so obviously 2 of their chances were converted.
Bah! They also scored on the right wing, and got the SE winger goal, to win 4-0.

So a little disgruntled about the score line for the 2nd week running, but I'm still in the Cup.

Sold a YA player for £593,000. Double Solid in Winger and Defending, Unpredictable. I don't like Unpredictable in defense, so was happy to list. I also have an Excellent Quick defender promoting this week, who'll slot nicely into my training programme. In fact I have an embarassement of riches with specialties coming through the academy, so much so I've had an U20 scout sniffing around. Shame my youth team couldnt win a game to save their life mind...

Div VI

Routine win over a bot.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 6th, 2019, 3:50 pm

The magic of the cup!

After 30 minutes of last nights match we were 1-0 down and had missed three chances against an ownerless (but not a bot yet) team from V. Luckily my 37 year old 5th choice striker rolled back the years and scored three penalties, a free kick, and another from open play, that's five in all, plus one from another striker for a 1-6 final score. Five goals! Three penalties! That doesn't happen very often. Not for me anyway.

Oh, and got an achievement for being ranked in the top 100 in England. Which was nice. I'd almost forgotten about achievement points!

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 8th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Apologies for the silence, have been busier than normal....

Quick catch up
1. relegated back to V, having gained the qualifier in spectacular fashion and then losing the game itself.
2. bought a younger, better keeper and a No.2 keeper, sold off the older keeper. will need one replacement DEF and one MID soon.
3. Finances £1.7m
4. Still training scoring, have one slot free, youth squad will provide.
5. Er....thats it really. No change to stadium,or coach, youth team going through motions, etc.

Games

Cup- am into Round 4 but I think the buck will stop there, at home to a team in IV.

League - its mine to lose, I've retained most of my team from IV so I'm hoping to bounce back quickly. Equal top at the moment, wins of -0 and 3-1, its early days but we are on track.

Will try to spend the season saving some cash, as will need it if we promote - £1.7m wont get me far.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 11th, 2019, 9:52 am

Oh, and got an achievement for being ranked in the top 100 in England.

Congratulations!

This weeks report:

Div IV

Cup was a straight forward 6-1 win. This weeks game much more difficult, and having to go 550 Long Shot as I can't penetrate his defense. I'm not LS optimised, so it will be interesting to see the kind of stats I can generate. I can win MF easily, but will need to play some strikers in defense to generate the LS ratings - which means I could be leaky at the back. We'll see.

The league game on Sunday was a write off. Opponent delivered 500 hatstats (as expected), and I knew I wouldn't win midfield. I went 532 CA, and brought on experience trainee subs when we went 3-0 down. Final score 4-0, and we languish in 7th place.
Bot next week will get me out of the relegation zone.

Div VI

Bot bashing.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 11th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Bot bashing, 10-0, keeps me top of the table and two points clear. Just need to keep this up, to get back to IV.
Not hopeful with the cup, but you never know....
Next week away from home, my guess is a squeaky away win ;-)

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 13th, 2019, 9:30 am

This weeks game much more difficult, and having to go 550 Long Shot as I can't penetrate his defense. I'm not LS optimised, so it will be interesting to see the kind of stats I can generate. I can win MF easily, but will need to play some strikers in defense to generate the LS ratings - which means I could be leaky at the back. We'll see.

Don't know what I was worried about!
Dominated MF which seems to be key with long shots, getting 10 out of the 13 chances.
LS tactic rating was World Class - alot higher than I was expecting.
I got 3 LS attempts, and converted 2.
Also scored a penalty, quick pass SE, and a non-tactical CA - to get a total of 5 goals.
Final score 5-1, phew.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

Not a great week at Albumen Towers.

First up in the league, what looked like a tough but winnable home game, not a PIC for sure. We got the lion's share of possession, 70%, but our attack was only at 20% on the wings, though theirs wasn't much better. Okay, 30-40%. I guess the kicker was ours was 11% central attack, and five of our chances went there. Chances were 9-7 to me, and we lost 1-3. Thought it looked a bit off, and the 20x replay agrees, saying I'd win 13x draw 4x lose 3x. Ahh well, them's the breaks. After three games we're on 4 points in 4th, 1st on 9, 2nd on 5, 3rd-6th on 4.

So that shock to confidence didn't help for the cup, and not really prepping very well (real life eh?) didn't help much either. They sprung a big midfield on me, and that was that, dumped out 3-0. Confidence now poor.

This Sunday I should have all the ball, but again, it's breaking down the wall of their 5-4-1 that might be an issue. Especially with a cup hangover. Maybe I should give Long shots a go!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 18th, 2019, 9:07 am

UncleIan wrote:This Sunday I should have all the ball, but again, it's breaking down the wall of their 5-4-1 that might be an issue. Especially with a cup hangover. Maybe I should give Long shots a go!

Urgh, cup hangovers. I'd lined up as a 2-5-3 to start with, then had a look and 3-5-2 gave me better total ratings, and a smidge more midfield, so that's what we went with, no long shots. We did have the lion's share of possession (63%) and many chances were squandered, four in the first half for starters, but at least they didn't score either. Second half, and more missed chances from both sides until finally they scored on 79 minutes. Thankfully we equalised with five minutes to go, and held on for the draw. 1-1 final score. Chances 6-8, so not an unfair result, and given the circumstances, and poor confidence, I'll take the point rather than bemoan not taking all three.

That result sees us both slide down the table together, we're now 6th on 5 points, 1st place lost, so we all caught up a bit, they are on 9 points, while looking over my shoulder, 7th are on 4 points.

Next week a bit of light relief at the perfect time, we are away to the league whipping boys. Should be an easy PIC and a chance for the strikers to get their scoring boots back in gear.

I'm quite liking the League Battles thing, seem to be playing teams I've played before, I suppose, after all this time, and being in III, maybe that's unsurprising, but in the first match I beat a team that went out the bottom of my IV back in season 66 that I'd never lost to, and still haven't lost to, and this week I play a team that beat me to first (on goal diff) in season 67. If it wasn't for our league leader giving up a walkover, we'd probably have been top of the table, not bad as we're ranked 15 of 16. Early days though!

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 18th, 2019, 11:42 pm

Almost cocked up totally....
It was meant to be a 'squeaky away win' by playing a weakened first XI. But I took it too easy, played all my reserve/trainee forwards, went PIC etc. Fortunately I had set two of my first team forwards to come on as subs if it wasn't going well after 70 mins.

It wasn't going well. We were 2-0 down after 20 mins, and went in at HT 2-1 down. We were still 2-1 down when the subs did their bit, but two quick goals saw us achieve that 'squeaky away win' 2-3. More by luck than judgement, definitely.

The win keeps us top, but the hit to GD means we are only just above the autopromote line, so I'd better stop flapping around and let the first XI do their stuff next week...

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 20th, 2019, 11:45 am

League; both teams had bots. In Div IV I'm up to 4th place, and in Div VI still 1st. However two new human managers have sneaked into my VI league which is a bit of blow to my train & forget strategy.

The Div IV team is still in the cup, following a comfortable 5-0 win on a PIC. Next week is a little trickier - a high performing Div II team, with very strong attack ratings. I'm training defense, but even with 5 at the back I would not be able to keep a clean sheet. As a result I'm going 253 all out attack, sacrificing a few training slots.

In other news, my YA team actually won a game breaking a losing streak of 16 games. I have 2 x U20 potentials, which will be sold as I don't have space for them in the first team.
Prospect 1: Powerful, Solid Def, Inadequate PM, Inadequate Wing, Inadequate Scoring, Passable Passing
Prospect 2: Technical, Solid Def, Passable PM, Solid Wing
Nice work if you can get it. My last U20 prospect sold for £624k, so hoping for similar with these two. Shame I've got the full £10m in the bank and another £3m in reserves - but I'm sure the money will come in useful sometime.

Cheers Donut.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 25th, 2019, 9:57 am

Donut102 wrote:I have 2 x U20 potentials, which will be sold as I don't have space for them in the first team.
Prospect 1: Powerful, Solid Def, Inadequate PM, Inadequate Wing, Inadequate Scoring, Passable Passing
Prospect 2: Technical, Solid Def, Passable PM, Solid Wing

Personally, if your trainees that are stopping these two from getting a place aren't homegrown, I'd flog 'em off, ready or not. a) you'll get improved performance because they're homegrown, and b) not like you need the money, c) if they do make the U-20 team (and it'll be fleeting), you can milk it on here for all it's worth, we'll be impressed, and d) well, they're homegrown, and I know it's only 0's and 1's, but my mind is happier developing players that have come through the youth system, that are "mine", silly I know but...

Anyhoo, this week...

Cruised through to R3 of the Conspirators Memorial Cup, and was unlucky not to win my Div III battle, chances 9-3 but final score 1-1? Slightly disappointed it's not counted as a half a-la Ryder Cup, but hey, it makes no difference I guess so....luckily other teams took up the slack, we won 2-1, and we're 2nd overall in the battle, our series still ranked 15 of 16. Riddle me that!

In the league we were up against the whipping boys, and duly romped to a 0-9 win on a PIC, with two of my lads picking up hat-tricks. A +1 to a striker was flies in the ointment though.

Thanks to 2nd place getting an unexpected shafting, we leap up to 3rd place on 8 points. 1st are on 12, but I think they're a slight cut above the rest of us. 2nd are on 9, and 7th are on 5, so it's pretty tight all round, especially as 7th play 8th next Sunday so definitely will get three points. I have a home game which is a definite possible for a win, which will be good as the double header is against first, starting with an away match, so that's my confidence down the toilet in three weeks time.

Meanwhile one of my defenders lost three skills this week, mind you, he is nearly 37, and is now definitely B team material. Oh, and my ex-England U20 goalie (see Donut? :lol: ) is now 30 and has dropped down to supernatural keeping. Not a great week on that front.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » November 25th, 2019, 11:53 am

I seem to have skipped a few weeks.

I've been getting more and more involved in the WW (werewolf) themed games going on in the non-ht England forum.

The games are loosely based upon this https://www.playwerewolf.co/rules where each day you vote to remove a player from the game, and at night various players get to target one another with kills & other abilities decided upon by the mod of the game. Several managers including myself have adapted this to develop their own games to mod - based on films, tv shows or whatever. Its highly addictive and to be recommended.

Anyway, quick update on my progress so far this term...

England NT are out of the WC, and are playing in a friendly tournament I've organised with Germany/Brazil/Argentina/Belgium as invited guests vs England/Wales/Scotland & N Ireland. I'll not stand again, and look to move to an assistant role if I'm wanted.

My primary team has a target to move into number 1 spot on the V.7 historical standings table by the end of season (also meaning promotion to IV). I need 23pts from the remaining 9 games to do that, and this season so far it's 5 wins from 5 and I've got the teams in 6th and 8th to play over the next 4 weeks (one of which is a bot). I'm currently training playmaking hoping to get my homegrown support spec and solid leadership player into the U20s (he's 11PM 7Ps 5Def age 18/64. Team is out of all Cup comps though... £12m in the bank and this will eventually be needed to buy in GK+defence plus wingers, with some solid leaders in the defence positions next on the shopping list.

In Oceania, wing training is being interrupted this week because of an injury to one of the 4 wing-backs (3 of which are home-grown) to train defending. Out of all Cup comps here as well, but the team is doing well playing CA every week, with 5/5 wins and 6th & 7th to play over the next 4 weeks. £14m in the bank and am considering whether to stick with CA and simply focus upon buying players that will help improve the CA attack/defence ratings without worrying about m/f too much. A couple of Wingers to train in defence and a 2nd FTW would probably do the trick... maybe a GK upgrade as well?

In South Africa my hg GK trainee is now supernatural GK + weak defence and o/s SP (turns 19/0 tomorrow) and the team will be switching to SP and then defence once he reaches titanic. However, with just £3m in the bank some home-grown/original squad members will have to make up the numbers of trainees initially. I've not bought any player since the start of last season, although I'll have a solid leadership player whom I can probably sell for about £1m (twice what I paid for him) to boost the coffers when the time comes. In the league we're 2nd with one home loss to the leaders who are 3pts ahead. They have a considerably stronger team to be fair (5 of their players appear in the current 'team of the week feature).

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » November 25th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Remembered I was still in a Cup, so fielded first team forwards for that again and managed another close win 0-1, so it was the trainee forwards yesterday in the league and a 3-0 win at home. Still top by 5 pts, but GD now takes me below the auto-promote line, so once I'm out of the Cup (which is probably this week - Cup opponent is in series IV, so I think it ends here.... ) I will revert to first team forwards in the league and hopefully get back above the line.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”