Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 74

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 74

Postby UncleIan » March 23rd, 2020, 11:39 am

UncleIan wrote:Next week we're away to first place, that's just what we need! Looks a bit of a coin toss.

Coin toss? Well that was optimistic! Went 3-5-2, they went 3-5-2 AOW (divine+4!). Possession was 50/50, but their attack v defence much better than mine, especially on the wings. It started well, we went 0-1 up, then missed a chance, they had an injury to a WB on 40 minutes, and we'd started shading midfield thanks to better stamina, then for the next five minute it just went mad, they scored FOUR goals, and us none. 5-1 at half time. Second half, we missed a chance, they had another injury to a midfielder, and they scored again in the 91st minute. 6-1 final score. Chances were 7-4. Not gonna lie, I didn't deserve a win, or maybe even a draw, but I feel 6-1 is more than a little harsh. Confidence now "wretched". Good luck to us scoring any goals now!

Definitely looking over my shoulder now. We're in 6th on 7 points, and okay, 1st is only on 14, 2nd & 3rd 12, 4th 10, but 7th who thankfully also lost is only 3 back on 4 points.

Luckily I have another away game, but it's to the whipping boys that only have 1 point so far, though 7th also have a winnable home match. Oh cripes, that's round 7, half way, so the next two matches are against the whipping boy, looking at the ratings I should be okay, but aforementioned confidence issues, I'll be trying to maximise the number of chances, my players need to score a hatful.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 24th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Div IV

Cup to start with - last week I said this:
My cup opponent this week also plays with 5 at the back, but chooses to go CA. Once again I'll be unable to penetrate the defense, so I've decided to meet fire with fire and go for the hated 550 long shot. Whilst I'm giving away chances to his CA, my 5 man defense should be able to keep most of the attacks out....

Yeah....that didn't work. He got 484 hatstats against my 391, and frankly the better team won.
Looks like an easy game in the consolation cup.

In the league we were in 4th playing 8th away from home. Got hit hard by the Cup hangover, and lost 3-1. :evil:

This week I'm down to 5th and playing 1st away from home. Not expecting much...

Div V

Out of the Cup competitions so focus on the league.
Next week we play 3rd at home - I fancy my chances.
Held them to a draw - I'll take the single point right now.

Still in 5th, but a bot this week

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 30th, 2020, 11:11 am

Halfway then!

This week we were away to the whipping boys, who have managed to get one solitary point this season so far, weirdly, at home to the league leaders. My team's confidence was in the toilet (wretched) after last week's 6-1 pasting, so a PIC was not on the cards. A straight 2-5-3 to try and get as many chances as possible and give the lads a chance to find their scoring boots. They've played 4-5-1 pressing every league match bar one, so that wasn't going to help my goalfest ambitions. They also weighted their attack to one side, so were 2%, 1% and 76% in attack! Shame I didn't have two WBs rather than two CBs!

First half we edged to a shaky 1-2 lead, second half we extended that out to 1-4 and the final action was a consolation goal for them. 2-4 final score. Chances were 6-7, but for them 4 went through the centre, and that was (almost) never going to work when you only have 1% attack v defence.

Not a goalfest then, but we'll take the win and move on. That moves us up to 5th in the table, at the expense of a team that lost to 7th. We're on 10 points, while 7th is only back on 7 points, and 2nd is only ahead on 13 points. First is on 17 and looking like favourites to take the title. So apart from 1st and 8th, it's pretty tight in the league with just six points between 2nd and 7th.

Next up the return leg, should be easier, in fact we've got two home games in a row, 8th then 1st.

Starting to get the classic conundrum of my overtrained midfielders costing a heap of wages, not sure how sustainable it is, but of course, as they're overtrained they aren't worth as much as selling them at the "peak" around titanic. My IM trainees are now 3 x mythical, 1 x ET, and 2 x SN, all homegrown, I should probably sell the three mythicals, get the 2 x SNs to titanic, then switch to passing training (and thus also change all my forwards for trainees too). Whether I can do that and stay in III is the challenge.

On selling, and everyone on lockdown, anyone (yeah, okay, Bink) looking at transfer values? Are they holding up more because there are more people sat at home perusing the transfer lists? Not that it matters, if I need to change my front line I'll be buying as well as selling.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » March 31st, 2020, 1:12 am

I write this one through gritted teeth!
We lost away 2-1 to a peer, we went 4-3-3 pressing, and found they had gone 5-3-2 CA. They also won midfield, just, so it was going to make an interesting game. We took the lead early and seemed to have this one nailed down except for the two late second half goals that gave them the win. Annoyed about that.
They move into third and we are fifth, W3 D0 L4, 9 pts. 4th has 11 pts and 7th has 7 pts so its pretty close down at the bottom....
Return leg next, will have to sharpen up to turn the tables on them.
We have another winnable cup game this week. If I dont play all my trainees....

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 31st, 2020, 1:06 pm

Div IV

Looks like an easy game in the consolation cup.
It was easy - a comfortable 4-1 win.
Bit trickier this week against Div III opposition.

....and didn't get much! Got thrashed 5-0.
Oh good, its the double header part of the season, so I get double the misery...

In 5th, just 2 points clear of auto-relegation.

Div V

Still in 5th, but a bot this week
Ditto this week.

In 5th, 7 points clear of auto-relegation.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 6th, 2020, 9:56 am

UncleIan wrote:Next up the return leg, should be easier, in fact we've got two home games in a row, 8th then 1st.

You make heavy weather winning 2-4 away in round 7, or think that the score doesn't really reflect the game, I'm not sure I made any conscious choice to PIC this week, but surely that's okay, confidence better after a win, and at home, shouldn't make much odds playing 8th should it?

They switched from a 4-5-1 pressing to a 3-5-2 pressing and no longer had one good wing but a bit more of a balanced attack, but still up there 90/10 to me their attack v my defence. We switched 2-5-3 to 3-5-2. Have some players suffering with the form monkey too, but we kick off with 86% chances in midfield, and 22/28/15% up front.

First half and we missed two chances, a chance was pressed away, they missed a chance, and they missed another when they got a negative experience event from my defender with passable xp, you what? That's the luck I'm getting at the moment. Half time, 66% possession to us, 0-0.

Second half, we miss four chances, they have no reported chances.

Final score 0-0. Chances were 9-3.

I guess I shouldn't have PIC'd then! If I had any credits to angrily re-run that game, I'd guess it would show me winning probably 70-80% of the time. I suppose every dog has its day. And this was theirs. Are you still a whipping boy if you get the occasional draw? They pick up their second point of the season.

That ABSOLUTE TRAVESTY :) of a result means we slide down to 6th in the table, still on 11 points. Luckily 7th also lost, so they're back on 7, so if you look at it in a positive way, we're now more than a single game ahead of them. Other results (and mine wasn't the only strange one this week) mean the three teams ahead are only on 12 points, so I'm right in the midfield battle at the moment.

Next week we play at home again, this time to first. They will probably AOW because that's what they always do. Hopefully my WB's form won't get any worse. Then again, they occasionally CA, and I don't think I have a response to that, apart from go even more gung-ho in an attempt to have all the ball and try and score.

Oh yes, and sneaked through the George Carey cup on penalties.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » April 13th, 2020, 11:57 am

the gritted teeth are now wearing away in frustration....
The return leg after that annoying 2-1 away defeat ended up as a 2-2 draw, despite having edged midfield and having chances 8 to 4. Then again, going 0-2 down and pulling back to 2-2 wasn't the worst result in the end.
This week we were away to the leagues #2 and went down 2-1 again, having held them to 1-1 for much of the game, but with chances going their way 9 to 2, it was almost inevitable.
The poor run of form leaves us in 6th, 3 pts behind #4 and #5. #4 is the target, but I'd settle for #5 right now and the chance of a decent qualifier.
The next game is at home to #8, who have yet to win a game. Hoping I don't slip up there!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » April 14th, 2020, 8:30 am

Bit of a catch up, having missed last week:

Div IV

At the half way point I wrote:
....and didn't get much! Got thrashed 5-0.
Oh good, its the double header part of the season, so I get double the misery.
In 5th, just 2 points clear of auto-relegation.

It's a funny old game as the late great Jimmy Greaves used to say.
Won the return match 2-0, which really surprised me, and the good confidence helped me put 5 away this week against the team in 7th place.

As a result, up to 4th place, now 7 points clear of auto relegation which is a very comfortable place to be.

Playing 8th this week. They have a monster defense and nothing else. I'm going 550 long shot with a man marker to whip the midfield.

Div V

Two wins in two weeks puts me up to 4th. Playing 2nd at home this week- I'll be chuffed if I come away with a point.

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 14th, 2020, 8:51 am

Donut102 wrote:It's a funny old game as the late great Jimmy Greaves used to say.

Late? He may be struggling to stay on his perch. but he's still with us, I believe.

--kiloran

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 14th, 2020, 10:20 am

At home to the league leaders, and I actually fancied my chances, they were either going to AOW or CA, so I went ultra attacking to try and score any opportunities that came along, make the most of taking most of the ball. 2-5-3 with 2xWB offensive and 2xW offensive. It says we had 88% of midfield chances, and our attack v their defence averaged out at about 55/45, while their attack v my defence was more like 85/15. They had gone with a 3-5-2 CA, a change to their usual AOW approach. They decided to man mark one of my midfielders. I feel a bit honoured that they took some time analysing this one. Maybe they've got a lot of time on their hands at the moment. ;)

First half and we opened the scoring, but also missed a chance and their goalie was mentioned in dispatches twice. Oh, and they scored with a CA and a normal chance, and had their CD replaced with one not quite so good, well, my CA ratings went from 29% to 46%. First half score 1-2.

Second half, we both missed chances before we equalised, then we missed another couple of chances, and they sneaked a late goal in the 88'.

Final score 2-3. Bottoms!

Once again, hattrick goes with momentum, rewarding the leader with another win, while the struggles continue for those trying to rescue their situation. Chances were 8-4 to me. Feels harsh not to get at least a point out of that one.

We weren't the only ones to struggle, as 5th only managed a goalless draw against 8th, while 4th and 7th both lost. All this means we stay in 6th, on 11 points, while 7th are on 7 points, and the three places above me are close on 12, 13, and 15 points. Still definitely looking over my shoulder rather than looking above me though.

Oh, league battle this week I'm playing Shooter's Hill Mob, they used to be of Motley parish didn't they? The number of friendlies we've played certainly suggests so! No, you don't want to know how long ago that was.

Next up we play away to one of those blummin long shots teams. Will have to review what happened in previous long shot matches and see if I can come up with a better strategy than all out attack. Press for a draw maybe.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » April 15th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Quite right - my apologies.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » April 20th, 2020, 7:54 am

Div IV

As a result, up to 4th place, now 7 points clear of auto relegation which is a very comfortable place to be.
Playing 8th this week. They have a monster defense and nothing else. I'm going 550 long shot with a man marker to whip the midfield.

The tactics worked nicely, and we won 1-0. My long shot skills aren't strong enough to generate 2 or 3 goals.

The rest of the league went a bit mad. 1st lost to 5th, 2nd drew with 7th, and 3rd lost to 6th.
So I've gone from sitting pretty above auto relegation to eyeing up the top of the table. I'm 6 points off 1st, who I meet at home this week. I'd written this week off previously, but will need to get my thinking cap on now.

Div V

Two wins in two weeks puts me up to 4th. Playing 2nd at home this week- I'll be chuffed if I come away with a point.

Not chuffed. Lost 2-0.
In 4th, 12 points off 1st and in no danger of relegation. zzzzzz.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 20th, 2020, 10:46 am

UncleIan wrote:Oh, league battle this week I'm playing Shooter's Hill Mob, they used to be of Motley parish didn't they? The number of friendlies we've played certainly suggests so! No, you don't want to know how long ago that was.

Totally outclassed in defence and attack, they are were at the time 2nd in their III (now 1st). They had 55% possession, so this was only going one way.
Lost 5-1.

UncleIan wrote:Next up we play away to one of those blummin long shots teams. Will have to review what happened in previous long shot matches and see if I can come up with a better strategy than all out attack. Press for a draw maybe.

I didn't come up with a better strategy, so went 2-5-3 with a OCD and 2xWO. They 5-5-0 as per. They had more possession than expected, 41%, but only 2/1/1% in attack, while we had 59% possession and 16/19/19% attack v their defence. Not great but nothing else I could do to make that better. We didn't press.

First half and we missed a chance, or rather their goalie stopped a chance, while they scored a penalty...not sure how they even got into the penalty area if I'm honest. Another joyful quirk of hattrick that weighs in favour of an awful strategy. My goalie stopped a free kick. 1-0 halftime. Still in it.

Second half and they score from an indirect free kick, then we get one back from open play, then we get a chance to level, but their goalie is playing a blinder.

Final score 2-1. Urgh. Chances were 4-6. I do not like long shots. Was also hampered a bit by my (ex-U20 England) keeper being in shockingly bad form. Should have held on to the temp I got in when he was injured for a bit. Hey ho. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Luckily for me, 7th also lost, despite the best efforts of his opponent switching to a CA strategy when they would have won all sectors playing as they normally do. Probably mind games as they play us next week.

All this means we stay in 6th on 11 points, 7th are 4 back on 7. 4th and 5th are now 4 points ahead on 15, while 3rd are on 16.

Four games left. I'm guessing I should be prepping for a qualifier. Not sure how I do that, could bring in a new coach with better leadership, but can't afford to PIC any games with 7th only 4 points behind can I?

WBA remaining games:

Me v 2nd (Foxhall) - They have 5 wins in a row. Not sure how they'll play, but looking like a coin toss to me, but they have momentum on their side.
3rd (Midgets) v me - I've got no chance. Their midfield is even larger than mine! Maybe a press PIC and pray (with a new coach) opportunity.
Me v 7th (Norfolk) - Simply must win.
4th (Slackers) v Me - Not sure I've got much chance in this one.

7th (Norfolk) remaining games:

8th v 7th - No idea, 8th have been picking up the odd point, this might be another. That would be ideal!
7th v 1st - Probably loss, but the leaders haven't looked convincing of late.
Me v 7th - I still need to win this!
7th v 3rd - Loss.

So let's assume they get 3 points away to 7th. Ignore our match, I'm four points ahead, but don't look like getting any points. All things being equal then, when we meet there'll be a point between us. Makes it even more of a must win. Hmm, I'm thinking new coach, PIC the next two games, MOTS v 7th, PIC the last game to prep for the qualifier. This seems like the nub of a plan. Bit defeatist, but probably the best way of trying to stay in III for another season.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » April 20th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Unlucky Ian.
I often use a CD to man mark one of their IMs when playing vs Long Shot - it can have quite a devastating impact on their midfield.
My opponent yesterday always plays 550 (but never LS for some reason). I couldn't break down their defence, so met fire with fire and played 550 LS plus man marked

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » April 22nd, 2020, 10:33 pm

Didn't slip up, beat the team in 8th place 7-0, so we stay in 5th. Other results sort of went our way, so we are 6 pts above 7th and 3 pts behind 4th, can still go either way to be fair.
Next game we are home to 3rd, so we might have to chuck everything at this one, because after that its away to 4th (not promising) home to 1st (no way) and away to 7th (potential six pointer). So a MOTS, PIC, PIC, and then whatever is necessary, for the last 4 games....

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 27th, 2020, 10:13 am

UncleIan wrote:Me v 2nd (Foxhall) - They have 5 wins in a row. Not sure how they'll play, but looking like a coin toss to me, but they have momentum on their side.

They decided on a 4-4-2 CA strategy (mythical, not too shabby), a good idea seeing how good we are at missing chances at the moment. We decided to try and have all the ball, and make as many chances as possible. Lined up in a 2-5-3 with 2xWB offensive and 2xW offensive. We started with 77% midfield chances, and our attack v their defence was 34:66% on average, while their attack v my defence was 21:79%. So when they got the ball, they were probably scoring.

First half and we had five reported chances, and missed every single one of them, while my opponents got three counter attacks, and scored two of them. Oh, and my best winger got injured (+1). Halftime score 0-2. And yes, I did feel hard done by.

Second half, and by 76' we'd missed another two chances, and they'd missed one. We scored on 77', 1-2. 81' and we injured one of their defenders, dropping the attack/def ratio to nearer 50:50, but would I get any more chances? And could I take them? Well, yes, two minutes later and we equalised. Weirdly, watching it live I swear it said we missed a penalty in extra time, but the report doesn't seem to bother mentioning this small insignificant moment, so maybe I dreamt it.

Final score 2-2. Chances 10-5. Hmm. Still, rescued a point, better than nothing, good for confidence etc. Oh, and I PIC'd with my new coach. Maybe maybe a PIN would have seen me over the line. Maybe it would have made no difference. That's football.

Meanwhile 7th were away to the whipping boys who had been on a relatively decent run of form, a narrow loss and two draws, but not this week, 7th with a 0-2 win.

To the series. We're now on 12 points, with 4th on 16, and 7th on 10.

Remaining fixtures:

4th (Midgets) v me - I've got no chance. Their midfield is even larger than mine! Maybe a press PIC and pray (with a new coach) opportunity.
Me v 7th (Norfolk) - Simply must win.
4th (Slackers) v Me - Not sure I've got much chance in this one.

7th (Norfolk) remaining games:

7th v 1st - Probably loss, but the leaders haven't looked convincing of late.
Me v 7th - I still need to win this!
7th v 4th - Loss.

UncleIan wrote:I'm thinking new coach, PIC the next two games, MOTS v 7th, PIC the last game to prep for the qualifier. This seems like the nub of a plan. Bit defeatist, but probably the best way of trying to stay in III for another season.

That's what I did. An old defender with solid leadership got converted to a solid coach (done with excellent coaches, too rich for my blood), which seemed to drop my TS a level, great. PIC'd the game, so now content. Another PIC this weekend. I'm going to lose midfield. With 3 mythical homegrown IMs. The mind boggles. Might go 4-5-1 press or AOW as they'll probably go 2-5-3. Then again, they might look at my wing ratings and go 3-5-2. My defenders aren't in great form, so maybe 3-5-2 won't make much odds, with forwards being in better form that might be the one.

Exciting times!

Ian

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » May 3rd, 2020, 8:40 pm

missed last week somehow, its not like I was going anywhere.
anyway, two reports this time round as we get to the business end of the season...

Week 11 we were home to third and managed to slip to a 3-3 draw, despite being on a MOTS. It didn't help that we lost one of our IMs to injury early on, and when they went 2-3 up on 79 mins I thought that was it but we grabbed an equaliser on 89 mins. Would have settled for that at the start to be honest.
This week away to 4th, didnt have much chance so went PIC CA. Surprised to see we were 0-2 up at HT. It didnt last, and a late equaliser meant we finished 2-2. 10 chances to our 2, so I guess I'd have settled for that at the start as well.

We are in 6th on 15 pts, can't get into the top 4 slots, and we are only 5 pts ahead of 7th. As these things go, next we are home to 1st, and it doesnt look pretty, and we end the league away to, you guessed it, 7th,who by then might be just 2 pts behind. Could be a last match decider, for either a qualifier or autorelegation slot.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » May 4th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Bit of a catch up for me as well:

Div IV

So I've gone from sitting pretty above auto relegation to eyeing up the top of the table. I'm 6 points off 1st, who I meet at home this week. I'd written this week off previously, but will need to get my thinking cap on now.

I managed to get a draw out of that fixture, and won comfortably away from home to the the team in 6th spot.
Still in 4th, still 6 points off 1st.

The last two games are against 5th (Home) and 3rd (Away).
The league title is now out of reach. If I slip up this week I'll throw the last match and take the qualifier. If I win this week, it will be MOTS the final week to try and snatch 3rd.

Div V

In 4th, 12 points off 1st and in no danger of relegation. zzzzzz.

Won both matches in the last 2 weeks. Still in 4th, 10 points off 1st, and no danger of relegation.
The last two games are against 1st (Away) and 3rd (Home).
3rd has a bot this week - which means if I lose (and will lose without a MOTS), 3rd place will be unachievable; therefore throwing the last game and hoping to drop into qualifiers.
If I win, 3rd spot is up for grabs - but I cant see me beating 1st without a MOTS. And if I MOTS I cant beat 3rd in the final match.....
But I can't bring myself to throw the last 2 games right now when 3rd has a remote possibility.

I think I'll PIC this week with a full first team, and see what happens.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » May 4th, 2020, 4:38 pm

This week we were away to 4th. Decided on a PIC CA. Didn't think I had much of a shout, and I was right, a 4-0 humping.

Worse was to come, 7th place were at home to 1st. This week 1st decided to swap from their usual 5-5-0 to go 3-5-2. No idea why, they probably won't do it again, they lost 6-0. Ouch.

So now we're in 7th, one point behind 6th. Next week we're at home to...6th. I think that's the most obvious MOTS don't you? Then again, looking at it in review, it's the difference between 96% possession and 92% possession. Not sure the after effects are worth it. Of course, I'll kick myself if I don't grab a win.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » May 11th, 2020, 10:11 am

Div IV

The last two games are against 5th (Home) and 3rd (Away).
The league title is now out of reach. If I slip up this week I'll throw the last match and take the qualifier. If I win this week, it will be MOTS the final week to try and snatch 3rd.

It was a draw. I'm 3 points ahead of 5th, with a +2 GD. He's playing 6th, and could overtake me if I lose.
I'm also 1 point behind 3rd, same GD, who I play this week.

Decided to hedge my bets in the final game. Full first XI but playing extreme CA 523 (PIC). If I win, I get 3rd. If I lose and drop into the qualifiers I will have a nice TS.
Which probably means I'll lose but so will 5th, so I'll be in the no mans land of 4th spot....

Div V

I think I'll PIC this week with a full first team, and see what happens.

Lost 3-0.

In 4th and can't catch 3rd.
5th is playing 1st, and will probably lose.
So I'll end up in the no mans land of 4th.....

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”