Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How will clubs survive this?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

How will clubs survive this?

Postby Leothebear » April 3rd, 2020, 10:06 am

No income and yet having to pay players wages can only go on for so long.

If the EPL players (or more likely their blood-sucking agents) want their clubs to survive they need to be realistic and limit their pay to something like a mere £200,000 pa IMO.

What are the chances?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: How will clubs survive this?

Postby Leothebear » April 5th, 2020, 10:45 am

PFA says Premier League 30% pay cut plans would harm NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

Well that's a good one. EPL players all employ top accountants who ensure they pay as little tax as possible. Total BS.

Most football fans, will be suffering financial hardship due to CV. They will not take kindly to this feeble excuse.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 5th, 2020, 11:08 am

Leothebear wrote:PFA says Premier League 30% pay cut plans would harm NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

Well that's a good one. EPL players all employ top accountants who ensure they pay as little tax as possible. Total BS.

Most football fans, will be suffering financial hardship due to CV. They will not take kindly to this feeble excuse.

Hopefully people will remember the greedy ones when this is all over. Won't hold my breath though. People still seem willing to spend up to £100 to watch a game live regardless of VFM.

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 18th, 2020, 8:20 pm

I am surprised this thread has had so little reaction. I suppose though the Sports Bar has been a something of a non-event on LF from the start. Maybe when a club declares bankruptcy, some interest may be sparked.

fca2019
2 Lemon pips

Postby fca2019 » April 19th, 2020, 8:23 am

Many/most of the PL and Championship clubs have owners with wealth in the billions or hundreds of millions. Simply put, the shortfall is being met by the wealthy owners.

This is why the PL and most clubs in the Championship haven't furloughed their staff or negotiated wage cuts or deferrals from players.

The owners are putting millions into each club to offset the drop in matchday revenue, shirt sales and hospitality. However the clubs are still getting the central/tv money from broadcasters. This makes a big proportion of their income. Most of the income in the PL is from TV. Even in the EFL, the parachute and solidarity from the PL make a huge difference and payments have been accelerated to help the EFL clubs out.

The big question is whether a portion of this will get paid back to the broadcasters if the PL and EFL cannot resume the season in June.

Having said this the smaller clubs with less wealthy owners in the Championship and below, are in major cash flow difficulty. And some will go bust soon. I'm sure when that happens that will spark interest. They are already furloughing staff and some agreed deferral of 50% of player wages. Of course deferring payments just puts off a problem, doesn't solve it.

The outcome of this in my view is not effect the big clubs that much but a few will go but most will survive, in poor shape, and will have to sell their best players and overall weaken their squads. This sadly will mean a further gap between the top 6 PL and the rest, and between PL and the Championship, which means football will be less competitive and less interesting for the fans.

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Postby argoal » April 19th, 2020, 10:42 am

Snorvey wrote:Aberdeen FC, probably the 3rd biggest team in Scotland, are losing a million quid a week according to their chairman.

Pretty devastating for them.

On the BBC site the amount is quoted as 1M per month. Still not peanuts for a club like Aberdeen but not quite as devastating for the club as 1M per week over a shortish period of time.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 19th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Leothebear wrote:I am surprised this thread has had so little reaction. I suppose though the Sports Bar has been a something of a non-event on LF from the start. Maybe when a club declares bankruptcy, some interest may be sparked.

I rarely inhabit The Sports Bar so not sure how interested anyone will be, but wrt Covid19 specifically, I was chatting to my next door neighbour on Friday (ex International, ex Premier League footballer, currently playing towards the top of The Championship) and he laid out the timetable they’ve been given for resuming this season and starting the next one, and the implications to his own situation and that of his teammates. Basically, they’ve been told to take their summer break/holiday now starting this weekend, and relax at home, because they won’t be getting one in summer. They’ll effectively start pre season training at home under remote club supervision in 4 weeks time, then resume the current playing season at end of June, finish it, have a week off, then start next season straight away. They won’t therefore have a proper break until summer 2021. All this is provisional of course but it’s the club’s current thinking and thus the plan they've issued to all playing staff.

Another interesting thing he said which is something you don’t immediately think about, is that all the foreign players are stuck here in the UK isolating, many on their own, in club rented flats, and some are quite young. That must be quite tough, and very boring at times, and difficult in terms of preparing meals if they usually eat at the club training ground etc. He said now they have been told to take four weeks holiday these players can travel to their home countries and see their families, but must return in four weeks, gov guidelines permitting of course.

So not wishing to draw comparisons with key workers etc. (my own daughter is one) or lowly paid grafters, but it's a side of the well-paid sports world you don't necessarily think about. Anyway, just thought Sports Bar Fools may be interested.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 20th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Big gesture from Roma's players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52347123

Good for them.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 20th, 2020, 1:24 pm

I rarely inhabit The Sports Bar so not sure how interested anyone will be, but wrt Covid19 specifically, I was chatting to my next door neighbour on Friday (ex International, ex Premier League footballer, currently playing towards the top of The Championship) and he laid out the timetable they’ve been given for resuming this season and starting the next one, and the implications to his own situation and that of his teammates. Basically, they’ve been told to take their summer break/holiday now starting this weekend, and relax at home, because they won’t be getting one in summer. They’ll effectively start pre season training at home under remote club supervision in 4 weeks time, then resume the current playing season at end of June, finish it, have a week off, then start next season straight away. They won’t therefore have a proper break until summer 2021. All this is provisional of course but it’s the club’s current thinking and thus the plan they've issued to all playing staff.

Footballers have it tough coping with constant injuries. I can sympathise with that. However, they work 12-15 hours or so a week. They have plenty of free time on their hands. They've already had a month off on full pay. So injuries is as far as my sympathy extends.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 20th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Leothebear wrote:

Footballers have it tough coping with constant injuries. I can sympathise with that. However, they work 12-15 hours or so a week. They have plenty of free time on their hands. They've already had a month off on full pay. So injuries is as far as my sympathy extends.

And the main reason for posting wasn't to solicit views on sympathy/empathy/anything else, I just thought sports fans may be interested in what clubs are telling their playing staff currently, and what plans they have provisionally put in place to resume the 2019/2020 season.

I know any discussion about footballers stands a good chance of drifting into the subject of pay, and it is pretty extreme of course especially in the elite end of the game, but my neighbour plays for a club 150 miles away and lives away from his wife and young kids in a rented flat an awful lot of the time. This places a strain on her more than him I think, although he is missing out on his kids growing up too. Again, just mentioning this as the media paint a very one sided version of footballers lives, but there are downsides too I'm sure.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 20th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Leothebear wrote:
However, they work 12-15 hours or so a week.

Simply not true, and just demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subject. Or your prejudice (or both).

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 20th, 2020, 3:12 pm

how the clubs will survive i have no idea.

however its clear to me that none of these vigourous contact sports can resume until there is a vaccine.

otherwise some players and coaching staff certainly WILL die.

:cry: :cry:

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 20th, 2020, 5:05 pm

and when they do resume, who's going to want to go and sit in very close proximity to a complete stranger for two hours...?

Will this drive the inexorable move to televised European superleagues...?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 20th, 2020, 5:25 pm

jackdaww wrote:how the clubs will survive i have no idea.

however its clear to me that none of these vigourous contact sports can resume until there is a vaccine.

Sounds quite extreme to me. There are a lot more likely ways to catch the virus that are currently possible and allowed, than playing contact sport.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 20th, 2020, 6:08 pm

dealtn wrote:

Sounds quite extreme to me. There are a lot more likely ways to catch the virus that are currently possible and allowed, than playing contact sport.

===============================

could you give some examples ??

:?: :?:

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 20th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Snorvey wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:and when they do resume, who's going to want to go and sit in very close proximity to a complete stranger for two hours...?

Not really a problem in Scottish football

Not even to cuddle up to stay warm...? :D

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 20th, 2020, 6:56 pm

jackdaww wrote:
dealtn wrote:

===============================

could you give some examples ??

:?: :?:

Travelling close to others in a train or tube, working in close proximity, sharing a bed ...

Why do you think sharing a football field, for instance, is more likely to lead to a fatality?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 20th, 2020, 8:09 pm

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Simply not true, and just demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subject. Or your prejudice (or both).

Well it'd be illuminating to hear (your) truth. Please enlighten me.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 20th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Well it'd be illuminating to hear (your) truth. Please enlighten me.

It's a subject I know a little about so evidence based.

How do you know your version is true, or is it one of those things that is "obvious", and that "we all know" to be true?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 20th, 2020, 8:29 pm

My estimate was based previous reading, that the players train for 3 hours a day for 4 days a week. Then match day.

You dispute this, so I repeat please enlighten me.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”