Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Palace V B&HA

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Palace V B&HA

Postby Leothebear » October 19th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Well after another game where Palace had just one shot at goal and that a penalty, that's 2 shots in 2 games, Roy Hodgson's popularity is rapidly evaporating. His comments post match saying it was a "Hard working defensive display" and being totally complacent in his own negativity has not helped his cause one iota. This was against Brighton not Liverpool or City. They had 20 shots to Palace's one.

RH showed Chelsea far too much respect in another failed defensive showing. Southampton showed that Chelsea can be vulnerable defensively, if teams had a go at them, not RH's Palace.

Palace are now playing the same garbage that saw them collect one point in their last 8 games of last season.

He needs to retire.

Leo

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Re: Palace V B&HA

Postby Stan » October 21st, 2020, 9:38 pm

Leothebear wrote:Well after another game where Palace had just one shot at goal and that a penalty, that's 2 shots in 2 games, Roy Hodgson's popularity is rapidly evaporating. His comments post match saying it was a "Hard working defensive display" and being totally complacent in his own negativity has not helped his cause one iota. This was against Brighton not Liverpool or City. They had 20 shots to Palace's one.

RH showed Chelsea far too much respect in another failed defensive showing. Southampton showed that Chelsea can be vulnerable defensively, if teams had a go at them, not RH's Palace.

Palace are now playing the same garbage that saw them collect one point in their last 8 games of last season.

He needs to retire.

Leo

You need Owen Coyle he knows how to attack.. unfortunately he can’t defend to save his life :D

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » October 24th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Leothebear wrote:Well after another game where Palace had just one shot at goal and that a penalty, that's 2 shots in 2 games, Roy Hodgson's popularity is rapidly evaporating. His comments post match saying it was a "Hard working defensive display" and being totally complacent in his own negativity has not helped his cause one iota. This was against Brighton not Liverpool or City. They had 20 shots to Palace's one.

He needs to retire.

Leo

Languishing in fifth place now, you must be desperate for him to go!

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 25th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Hi CP,
Well for one, when all teams have played 6 games Palace will be nowhere near 5th.
Two: Fulham hit the woodwork twice in the 1st half, had 2/3 of the possession and generally had no luck. I will say they looked very vulnerable to every Palace attack particularly Zaha. Which may explain why they're bottom of the league with one point.

A positive result against Wolves might make me reconsider RH's abilities.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 25th, 2020, 4:10 pm

He needs to retire.

Leo

I wish I would have read this 5 minutes ago as I've transferred in Zaha to my Fantasy Football Team/Lemon Fool League

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 25th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Oh he's still mustard - when motivated. (as if £130K pw was no motivation!)

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » October 25th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Leothebear wrote:

Hi CP
Well for one, when all teams have played 6 games Palace will be nowhere near 5th.
Two: Fulham hit the woodwork twice in the 1st half, had 2/3 of the possession and generally had no luck. I will say they looked very vulnerable to every Palace attack particularly Zaha. Which may explain why they're bottom of the league with one point.

A positive result against Wolves might make me reconsider RH's abilities.

Hi Leo

I can see how you may be a little disappointed with a couple of their performances, but they are very resilient and actually don't fare that badly overall on the shots statistics (particularly "on target").

Regardless of other results, a win against Wolves would put them joint top on 13 points with Everton and Liverpool - although they (and others) will then obviously have a game in hand. So I can see how that "might" make you reconsider!

I have to say that if you are a typical Palace fan then the lack of their usual "support" from the stands might actually give them an advantage this season! Unlike my team (supported by optimists!) who didn't lose at home all last season, but have done so twice in their first four games without their fans.

Things could be a lot worse... :)

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 25th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I heard a statistic on the radio indicating that Palace have had 30% possession in the 5 days prior to their last match. I haven't any idea whether this is true but it is remarkable for a team that is doing reasonably well. These are normally the kind of stats you get with Neil Warnock as manager but as Roy is of that era it is possibly not that surprising.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » October 26th, 2020, 9:00 am

Mike88 wrote:I heard a statistic on the radio indicating that Palace have had 30% possession in the 5 days prior to their last match. I haven't any idea whether this is true but it is remarkable for a team that is doing reasonably well. These are normally the kind of stats you get with Neil Warnock as manager but as Roy is of that era it is possibly not that surprising.

Burnley have been doing 20% ever since "God" arrived at the club Mike :D

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

Stan wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I heard a statistic on the radio indicating that Palace have had 30% possession in the 5 days prior to their last match. I haven't any idea whether this is true but it is remarkable for a team that is doing reasonably well. These are normally the kind of stats you get with Neil Warnock as manager but as Roy is of that era it is possibly not that surprising.

Burnley have been doing 20% ever since "God" arrived at the club Mike :D

When I saw Burnley 2 seasons ago we had 17 shots on goal and they had 2. Burnley won 2-0 so I know where you are coming from.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 26th, 2020, 10:21 am

I have to say that if you are a typical Palace fan then the lack of their usual "support" from the stands might actually give them an advantage this season! Unlike my team (supported by optimists!) who didn't lose at home all last season, but have done so twice in their first four games without their fans.

Well CP, not sure about that - for some time commentators have said CP fans at SP were the noisiest in the PL. Yes the home record is abysmal.
My particular gripe was the tactics against B&HA who are Palace's bitterest rivals. No attacking intent and RH's comments afterwards claiming he was happy with the performance.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » October 26th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Well CP, not sure about that - for some time commentators have said CP fans at SP were the noisiest in the PL.

I'm flattered! :)

Leothebear wrote:My particular gripe was the tactics against B&HA who are Palace's bitterest rivals. No attacking intent and RH's comments afterwards claiming he was happy with the performance.

Fair enough, but it seems a bit harsh to me. Arrives in 2017/18 season during their terrible start and Palace become the first team to stay up after losing their first 7 games. Then they get their record points tally ever in the Premier League in 2018/19. The only blemish seems to be the poor finish to last season that you have pointed out (all after the covid interruption, which made for some rusty performances by several teams), and which still left them 14th and well out of any relegation danger. Now they're a win away from topping the table, but a couple of uninspiring performances mean the manager should retire? I'm not much of a Hodgson fan, but...

BTW, this rivalry with Brighton is a strange one, seemingly brewing up in the 70's? The Hodge said it didn't exist when he was a Palace youth player and fan - perhaps that explains his lack of concern about the performance...

CP

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 7th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Leothebear wrote:

Hi CP,

Most have played 7 or 8, and Crystal Palace find themselves in 6th (only goal difference keeping them out of the European qualification places and 5th place).

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 7th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Roy changed to a more aggressive style playing Eze who he'd kept on the bench previously. Eze is good. He invigorated Palace and for once the opposing team had more than Zaha to worry about. I'm still angry about his tactics with B&HA but if he keeps with today's style I'm far more optimistic. I still feel he could return to his negative ways mind you. Yes we are 6th but plenty beneath us with games in hand.

However I'm a lot happier after this afternoon.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”