Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Latest Utd Manager?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: The Latest Utd Manager?

Postby Dod101 » November 6th, 2020, 11:00 am

The puzzling thing is that Man U have got what appears to be a relatively good bunch of players individually (as well as some duds) but they seem to have no leadership on the pitch or off it. The result is that they are not a properly integrated team and no one seems to have an overall grasp of what is going on in any one game. I would imagine that Pottechino could help there so I guess Simoan is right at least in the short term. See what happens against Everton but I am not holding my breath.

Dod

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » December 9th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Well he's still there but how much longer I don't know especially after last night's exit.

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 9th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I'm very conflicted.

5 points off the top of the PL with a game in hand. 4 PL wins in a row.

but....

They Keep conceding first in every game. If they found some defensive ability they would be really competitive.

How long will Ed Woodward hold his nerve, his hiring and firing strategy hasn't been particularly successful over the last few years. Maybe it's time they stick with Ole.

Re: CL. Losing away in Turkey was the problem.

C.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Their defence has been a joke all season and Ole should have got that sorted by now. I did not see last evening's game but by all accounts the defence was at fault once again. It has been proved time and again that you can have all the fire power in the world up front but if your defence is leaking badly that can very quickly undo any good that the forwards do. Changing the manager is not going to make much difference I think unless we found another Fergie but that is most unlikely.

For a club like Man U to be relegated once more to the Euros is a disgrace on them, the management and those above that level but of course the owners evidently do not care. That is where the problem lies.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 9th, 2020, 12:54 pm

I forgot to say that since all they had to do was draw last evening, they could have taken a leaf out of Mourinho's book and 'parked the bus' in front of their goal. No need to be adventurous just get the team to stop the ball from getting into the back of their net. Is that so difficult? No wonder Pogba is reported to want to leave.

Dod

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 9th, 2020, 1:25 pm

I agree, but I don't think they have good enough defenders to park the bus for 90 minutes and not concede. I think at the moment their best form of defence is offence.

Are Maguire, Lindelof and Telles really good enough for that level, or to do that sort of "Park the Bus" job? I think the only player in the United defence who comes out with any merit so far this season is Wan-Bissaka.

I think they signed Maguire as a marquee signing to try and have the same VVD effect that Liverpool experienced but he isn't anywhere near as good unfortunately.

C.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:I forgot to say that since all they had to do was draw last evening, they could have taken a leaf out of Mourinho's book and 'parked the bus' in front of their goal. No need to be adventurous just get the team to stop the ball from getting into the back of their net. Is that so difficult? No wonder Pogba is reported to want to leave.

Dod

Tbh part of the problem is that they should have got shot of Pogba ages ago. It's obvious he's been unhappy for years and more than one manager has not been able to motivate him. Mourinho had his card marked but was unable to get rid. He's a talented player but he simply does not put the graft in because he is to busy wallowing in his own hype and ego. I dread to think what his stats are for distance covered per game but he's probably only just running more than the goalkeeper!

It's been mentioned before on this thread. It's easy to blame the manager, but the finger of blame at United should be pointed directly at the incredibly poor player recruitment for which the manager is not responsible. A big club like United arguing over relative pennies and not attracting top young players like Haaland, is frankly pathetic.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 9th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I agree entirely. Pogba has talent no doubt about that but he has no interest in United and as you say they should have got rid of him some time ago. He is a bad influence no doubt, on some of the players.

Dod

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 25th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Funny old game innit. A few weeks ago Lampard was the up and coming newcomer, Klopp could do no wrong and Ole was going to get sacked.

Instead Lampard got the boot, Klopp's target is the Wenger Trophy and Ole is getting the praise.

Our not paying £120 million for Sancho was seen as a sign of a lack of ambition. Maybe in normal times, but the coronavirus has hammered clubs' income, except for state owned sugar daddy clubs Citeh and PSG. Better IMHO to keep a decent cash buffer.

Whilst Man Utd has a very big income, we can't afford to buy an entire first team defence in one transfer window like Pep.

Pogba is now looking like a player who cost almost £90 million, Cavani the bargain signing of the season and Fernandes is this generation's Cantona. Nice to be top of the league for the first time since Fergie left, though the bookies reckon that odds-on favourites Citeh will buy the title (United are 5-1 with most bookies).

That said we're still getting reports about the club being micromanaged from the top. Some things never change.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 6:24 pm

simoan wrote:
Dod101 wrote:For the moment though, they do not care who manages Manchester United I am quite sure. OGS is clearly not up to it but Mourinho could not make anything of it either and I imagine that Pochettino, if he arrived, would be no better.

Don't get me wrong. Whilst Pochettino has no history of winning anything he did turn Spurs into a regular top 4 team without spending any money and playing really good football. I have no doubt he will improve what happens on the pitch over the short term. One of his better skills is man management and in particular motivating younger players of which United have a few that could see rapid improvement. It's easy to forget what a mess Spurs were in when he first arrived with some very divisive figures in the dressing room e.g. Adebayor, Kaboul and having to deal with some of the dross we bought with the Bale money (Soldado, Chiriches, Paulinho, Capoue).

This topic has been overtaken by events. Ole is suddenly doing well and talk of his removal has vanished. Whilst Poch has gone to PSG.

It is funny how managerial fortunes can change so quickly. Lamps was doing great in early season and has now gone. Even Pep was considered to be at risk earlier this season and that is no more. Whilst Klopp was the manager least likely to be fired but if Liverpool carry on this way, who knows?

The one consistent thing this season is [expletive deleted] being crap but, so far, Arteta survives.

Edit: That is weird, the post I replied to has vanished and SH beat me to it with most of this.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 25th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Lootman wrote:Edit: That is weird, the post I replied to has vanished and SH beat me to it with most of this.

Rather like a pantomime, it's now on the previous page viewtopic.php?p=354045#p354045.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 8:01 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Lootman wrote:Edit: That is weird, the post I replied to has vanished and SH beat me to it with most of this.

Rather like a pantomime, it's now on the previous page viewtopic.php?p=354045#p354045.

That is very charitable of you but I think i may just have completely misread the thread and it is not yet time for me to be released from the asylum.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Back to the main issue. As has been said it is amazing how fortunes ebb and flow no more so than in the Premier League this year. it is very close at the top and anything could happen. Currently the Man U team is firing on more or less all cylinders with Ole quietly getting the results he needs.

Dod

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » January 25th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Yes that's all well and good but Is Olly going to last? I'm still not so sure he is.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 25th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Stan wrote:Yes that's all well and good but Is Olly going to last? I'm still not so sure he is.

Did they not say the same of Fergie after a few seasons. I can’t quite recall but wasn’t it winning the FA Cup that was said to have saved him, at least from the press? The rest is history.

I had a small flutter on the FA Cup but didn’t double up on the league. I have absolutely no problem if they win both.

How long is “last”?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 26th, 2021, 8:16 am

Stan wrote:Yes that's all well and good but Is Olly going to last? I'm still not so sure he is.

Is the sun going to shine tomorrow?

Dod

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » January 26th, 2021, 4:31 pm

PinkDalek wrote:

Did they not say the same of Fergie after a few seasons. I can’t quite recall but wasn’t it winning the FA Cup that was said to have saved him, at least from the press? The rest is history.

I had a small flutter on the FA Cup but didn’t double up on the league. I have absolutely no problem if they win both.

How long is “last”?

As I remember it was United's FA Cup game at Oxford Utd that saved him (if that was the case) but could be wrong.

"last"? no idea I'm afraid.

Comparing Ferguson and Olly at their same stages might be interesting but I still don't get the impression Olly will be there if they have another bad run, but we shall see.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 26th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Stan wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:Did they not say the same of Fergie after a few seasons. I can’t quite recall but wasn’t it winning the FA Cup that was said to have saved him, at least from the press? The rest is history. ...

As I remember it was United's FA Cup game at Oxford Utd that saved him (if that was the case) but could be wrong. ....

I had to look it up, the memory not being so strong 30 years on.

Wiki has some detail re Oxford United (first game in charge) &, a couple of years or so later, the 1989-90 FA Cup win:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#Appointment_and_first_FA_Cup_title

Here's a recent article on the subject:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/sir-alex-ferguson-first-manchester-united-trophy-on-this-day-30-years-ago-a4442451.html

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » January 26th, 2021, 11:01 pm

That Standard link was an interesting read wasn’t it thanks.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » January 27th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Man Utd 1 Sheffield Utd 2.

Rafa is available I believe 8-)

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”