Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What's that noise?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

What's that noise?

Postby terminal7 » November 23rd, 2020, 6:08 pm

Maybe I have missed it - but I noticed for the first time 'fake' crowd noise whilst watching rugby between Scotland & France. With a visual background of empty seats, I am not sure how this adds to the experience - for players and/or viewers. Furthermore, it does not follow the play - its just canned laughter. Please stop it.

T7

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: What's that noise?

Postby PinkDalek » November 23rd, 2020, 7:04 pm

terminal7 wrote:Maybe I have missed it - but I noticed for the first time 'fake' crowd noise whilst watching rugby between Scotland & France. ...

Yes, it has been around for a while but, obviously, it was indeed faked by non Rugby followers. Easy to tell as the non Scottish crowd didn't boo the place kickers.

Thank goodness they didn't introduce vuvuzelas for added 'authenticity'.

There might be options to turn the noise off but we weren't too bothered. What was irritating on at least a couple of the earlier Amazon Prime screened matches was the balance between the ref sounds and the commentators, which drowned each other out. If we'd been able, we'd have turned the latter off. Didn't appear to be quite so bad on this one. At least we could delight in Wayne's French accent, when he remembered.

Great match and result though. Dreadful hairstyles. Bring back the flowing locks of the seventies. :D

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 23rd, 2020, 8:15 pm

Watching the local news this evening, which showed a whole series of goals, Mrs H remarked that the crowd noise was identical each time. Once we concentrated on it we agreed that it was possible that an identical goal scoring "cheer" sound effect was used for each sequence. A bit like a radio disc jockey joke sound effect? ;)

regards

Howard

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 24th, 2020, 5:02 pm

terminal7 wrote:Maybe I have missed it - but I noticed for the first time 'fake' crowd noise whilst watching rugby between Scotland & France. With a visual background of empty seats, I am not sure how this adds to the experience - for players and/or viewers. Furthermore, it does not follow the play - its just canned laughter. Please stop it.

T7

I would much rather hear the voices of the managers/coaches on the touch line and players on the pitch.

There was a channel that offered muting of the canned crowd noise, I think it was the BBC.

I have an idea it was the Leicester City v Burnley game the other week.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 24th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Cricket's Indian Premier League, recently played in the Emirates, took fake crowd noise one step further. The fake crowd noise, along with music between overs, was played over the stadiums' public address system.

I didn't feel that there was much difference from when they have crowds, asides from the lack of pictures of the crowd and the cheerleaders.

It helps that cricket has a very different tempo to rugby and football. The fans at home didn't seem to be bothered; this season's tournament had record viewing figures.

Amazon's coverage of the Wales v Georgia rugby drowned out the commentary for most of the first half. If only they could do this to the football, the sport with IMHO by far the worst commentary and punditry by a mile.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 24th, 2020, 5:51 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Amazon's coverage of the Wales v Georgia rugby drowned out the commentary for most of the first half.

Echo <<<<<<<. Although we thought it was both halves and two of the matches (as I mentioned earlier).

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 25th, 2020, 10:22 am

SalvorHardin wrote:Cricket's Indian Premier League,..... The fans at home didn't seem to be bothered; this season's tournament had record viewing figures.

Is that just because nobody coukd travel to actually be at the games so "everybody" was viewing on TV?

didds

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 25th, 2020, 10:58 am

didds wrote:Is that just because nobody could travel to actually be at the games so "everybody" was viewing on TV?

I don't think so. An average crowd for an IPL match tends to be 25,000 to 40,000 (depending on the stadium) and they only play nine matches a week (one per day during the week and two on Saturday and Sunday).

The TV viewing figures for the first match in IPL 2020 were a record at just over 200 million. Average TV ratings for the tournament were up by roughly 25%. A few people on Twitter complaining about fake crowd noise barely registers against that :D

"The opening match of the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) was watched by 200 million people, said BCCI Secretary Jay Shah on Tuesday. As per Shah, this was the highest-ever opening day viewership for any sporting league in any country as defending champions Mumbai Indians faced Chennai Super Kings on September 19 at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi."

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/ipl/200-million-tuned-in-to-watch-ipl-2020-opener-says-jay-shah-1.1600772774526

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”